Fusion Bootcamp x64

11 posts in this topic

Is anyone running a 64 bit Windows Xp (or even 64 bit Vista)in Bootcamp and is able to run that Bootcamp installation in VMWare Fusion on Hackintosh (or even on real MAC)?

There is no problem detecting the BootCamp installation on my C2D E6300, but upon starting Fusion warns about running a 64 bit operation system in 32 bit environment (or something like that). So Fusion correctly detects 64 bit OS, but the VM is, I guess, configured for 32 bit guest OS. It still runs just fine exept VMWare Tools do not install drivers for network adapter nor can I install the drivers manually.

Any solution?

Btw., everything runs fine if I install WinXP Pro x64 on image disk.

Thanks!

to answer my own question:

guestOS = "winxppro" needs to be changed to ---> "winxppro-64"

I also needed to change:

scsi0.present = "TRUE" to ---> "FALSE"

and add the line:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

in .vmx file (probably something like ~/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2FDisk1/Boot Camp Partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp Partition.vmx).

• 3 months later...
to answer my own question:

guestOS = "winxppro" needs to be changed to ---> "winxppro-64"

I also needed to change:

scsi0.present = "TRUE" to ---> "FALSE"

and add the line:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

in .vmx file (probably something like ~/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2FDisk1/Boot Camp Partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp Partition.vmx).

i cant find that file that you are editing. can you be more specific? which version of vmware are you using?

thanks in advance

• 5 weeks later...
Anyone know how to fix the boot 0 error when using GUID instead of MBR??

I have VISTA 64 bit dual booting with H4ck1nt0sh via Kalyway. I used GUID instead of MBR though.

W0lf

I fixed it by using the Vista DVD to go into recovery mode console and then to the Command Prompt and type bootrec.exe /fixmbr and after /fixboot

• 1 month later...
Acronis People Acronis look and see!!!

Vista x64 and all the goodies USE FUSION 2 Beta!!

What are the steps needed to get this sort of configuration - any chance you can provide an overview of the steps? Plus are you sure that's x64?? - Vista welcome screen looks like a 32 bit version to me

• 4 weeks later...

For vista, follow same instructions (not using v2 beta however). I did already have the "ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"" In my .vmx file. Don't add it twice, it will give an error.

You will get activation error, which sucks lol. So it's not really useful at the moment, as Vmware has yet to find a way around it :D

• 9 months later...