PPTP Server without Mac OS X Server

Urbz

5 posts in this topic

I need to set up a PPTP server on my home computer to access blocked ports at school, through my iPod touch.

I only want to check mail, nothing major, but I cannot do so because the ports are all blocked!

So, I want to set up a VPN and have my iPod automatically connect to it when I switch it on, allowing email connectivity and giving me a secure connection.

I tried SSH, but it never works (Squidman SUCKS), and it's difficult to use with the iPod.

I'd rather just set up a PPTP server (because It's natively supported and seamless and stuff...) but I have yet to find ONE for Mac OS X. The only one I know of is the one built into Mac OS X Server, which I am NOT switching to just for email access...

any ideas?

-Urbz

Thank you for the replies!

About the router... it's a possibility. I'm considering it. But I'd rather avoid spending, if at all possible.

About the linux-based firewall... do you mean get a linux distro and use it? That seems a little extreme for checking email. Or did you mean one tha's for OS X? If it's the latter, could you recommend one?

-Urbz

http://www.clarkconnect.com/

All you need is two network cards, and CPU power along the lines of a Pentium 2. Internet connection gets plugged into one network card, and your network goes in the other. When installing, you select the functionality you want: something as simple as a firewall with VPN, or as extreme as web/mail/database serving.