Any X2 users experience stutter like syndroms?

shoman24v

208 posts in this topic

"fn" stands for "forcenap" and provides different implementions for handling CPU idle time with the goal of CPU heat/fan control.

It's modifying the CPU idle characteristics, not just the fan, so I think we might be onto something here.

Hey all,

i was having stuttering problems also on my x2 3800+. tried a bunch of things to fix it, and eventually did a reinstall. what worked for me was passing in platform=x86pc at the darwin f8 prompt before booting the dvd. the installer was quite a bit snappier, and after install, everything was as smooth as butter. you still have to pass in platform at each boot though.

i don't know if this is just a random occourance, or if by passing platform=x86pc at boot actually did anything. all i know is that it works great now.

hope that helps at all.

just one of the platform is choosed. maybe the second one. here is the code that parses the flag:

platformValue = kalloc(kMaxBootVar);
if ( ! PE_parse_boot_arg("platform", platformValue) ) {
	strcpy(platformValue, kDefaultPlatformName);
}
gCompatibleProp.address = platformValue;
gCompatibleProp.length = strlen(platformValue) + 1;

So, the "platform" boot parameter is read only once and put somewhere in a global structure. That means that just one value from the command line will be valid across a boot-shutdown/restart session.

Hey all,

i was having stuttering problems also on my x2 3800+. tried a bunch of things to fix it, and eventually did a reinstall. what worked for me was passing in platform=x86pc at the darwin f8 prompt before booting the dvd. the installer was quite a bit snappier, and after install, everything was as smooth as butter. you still have to pass in platform at each boot though.

i don't know if this is just a random occourance, or if by passing platform=x86pc at boot actually did anything. all i know is that it works great now.

hope that helps at all.

it has to be X86PC.

it is case sensitive.

Okay, I think I specified the parameters wrong last time...

But I've reinstalled OS X, put it like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>idlehalt=0</string>

and I don't get stutter anymore. Yay!

EDIT: Well, LESS stutter, as it turns out. I'll try those other flags now.

gaaah.

so much for the smooth part. don't really know what happened to it.

the whole system was running fine yesterday, and now its all stuttery again after i booted today, no matter what flags i put in.

i haven't tried any other flags except for the platform switch, so i'll mess around with it more later.

I put cpus=0 under Kernel Flags parameter and.... it STILL recognized the two cores in System Profiler and if I use that option alone, the stuttering seems exactly the same as not using any parameters at all. So far fn=3 idlehalt=0 had at least some effect, but the stuttering isn't completely gone.

Yeah, stuttering still exists and it's rather annoying. Careless, for some reason I do think you have stuttering.

this is my fourth reboot. and i have not ran into the stuttering at all, and im trying to best my 101 xbench so far... so i would have seen it by now.

so no... not yet.

but if i do get it. i will report it

in other words:

so far, so good

I have MSI k8n neo4 platinum

At first, I managed to get PS2 keyboard and USB mouse to work by disabling USB mouse and keyboard support in BIOS and pluging my USB mouse to PS2.

I recently changed that by pluging USB mouse to USB back and addind 2 lines to /etc/rc (at the end before exit 0)

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

It works !

ps : I have not tested with USB mouse and keyboard enabled in BIOS

Edited by temis

A little off topic, but does anyone have PS2 support on an NF4 MB?

I have.

I have MSI k8n neo4 platinum

At first, I managed to get PS2 keyboard and USB mouse to work by disabling USB mouse and keyboard support in BIOS and pluging my USB mouse to PS2.

I recently changed that by pluging USB mouse to USB back and addind 2 lines to /etc/rc (at the end before exit 0)

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

It works !

ps : I have not tested with USB mouse and keyboard enabled in BIOS

I also have a PS2 KB and a USB Mouse and that combination does not work but if you plug another mouse in the PS2 connector it make the whole thing works.

MacGirl,

Sorry but It DOES WORK with PS2 keyboard pluged in PS2 and USB mouse pluged in USB and these 2 lines added to /etc/rc (I am editing this post with this configuration), without the rc changes it didin't work

Siemens keyboard KBPC S2 F and MS intellimouse explorer 2.0 here we have the same board (JaS patch)

Still have USB and Keyboard support disabled in BIOS but USB controller enabled

I put cpus=0 under Kernel Flags parameter and.... it STILL recognized the two cores in System Profiler and if I use that option alone, the stuttering seems exactly the same as not using any parameters at all. So far fn=3 idlehalt=0 had at least some effect, but the stuttering isn't completely gone.

i was just kidding. see with cpus=1 if it still uses both cores. with =0 it overrides and goes to automatic mode.

To careless,

Play some music and search for files on your computer, see if you stutter.

You are good. You've caught us. Careless is just a clone of myself to agree to what is say. If the man sais it's working, why do you pollute this thread begging for proofs?