Any X2 users experience stutter like syndroms?

shoman24v

208 posts in this topic

I am running OS X on this setup:

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo @ 2.41GHz @ 1.35v (stock)

-BFG 7800GTX OC

-36GB Raptor 10,000RPM HD SATA

-200GB Segate ATA

-ASUS A8N SLI Premium

-2GB Of Crucial Value Ram (-5b D Ballistic memory)

OS X boots fast, but it stutters like crazy. Every few seconds or so it hesitates when you click or do anything, it's like the computer hangs for a second. I've tried a few things to see if I could eliminate the problem but have had no luck. I've removed my sound card, network card, basically anything stuck to the mobo that I don't need but that didn't help. I've tired 1 gb of ram instad of 2 gb.. nothing.

When I try and use onboard sound that also stutters too, any ideas? Anyone with this problem? I'm using the 8f1111 patched DVD.

Yep, I have been trying to figure it out. I thought it had something to do with the IDE drivers. I am assuming you are installing it on and IDE drive. Am I correct?

The reason I think it is an IDE problem is because after I install it, I take the DVD drive out of the scenario so it doesn't drag down the IDE channel to ATA 33. Then when OS X boots it still stutters just not as bad. Still annoying as hell, which is why I don't run it right now.

What leads you to beleive it's the processor? Have you tried a non-X2 chip?

Here's my config:

Shuttle ST20G5 XPC

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 939 Pin (Manchester)

300G Seagate Barracuda SATA (250G Seagate ATA 133 when using OSX)

ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB DDR3

1G Corsair XMS PC3200

16x LiteOn DVDRW

8-in-1 Card Reader (PC12)

Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD

FINALLY!

someone with the same problems. after a while of using the OSx... it starts to stutter.

I have a Opteron 165 overclocked to pretty much an FX-60 on 1.375 volts (0.025 over stock)

so far thats three for AMD Dual Core that are getting stutter problems.

surprisingly, xbench scores are still not affected half the time. which i why it's pretty weird to me =(

my setup is in my sig.

I think it's an IDE problem aswell...

But my question is why it would happen only after a certain amount of time.

It's as if the buffer on my harddrive is always being full. Currently im on the Nforce 4 Ultra chipset... with SLi 16x (not 32x) And there arent any 10.4.3 drives for nForce 4, as far as i know.

its weird. it runs fine for what seems to be hours at once.

then the next time, minutes, and it starts to stutter. right now its stuttering but i can handle it. but trying to do photoshop or illustrator work like this would be nerve wracking.

Edited by Careless

because of the power saving feature. the TSC gets messed up. windows and linux have workarounds for this. os x does not :) that's why i've "upgraded" back to my p4@3ghz. look in the logs to see that the time "goes backwards". after a while since boot, my system worked ok, without freezes.

Edited by sigxcpu

Same here with 64 X2 4400+ (64 3500+ before and same 6600GT and no stuttering) ... no solution found on any forum yet ...

I first thought it was my 6600GT card ... but appearently I was wrong !!??

Edited by temis

Same here with 64 X2 4400+ (64 3500+ before and same 6600GT and no stuttering) ... no solution found on any forum yet ...

I first thought it was my 6600GT card ... but appearently I was wrong !!??

well there are Athlon 64 drivers for XP, and Linx, and i think that they are part of the power saving feature...

so this definately has to do with core throttling due to cool n quiet.

and my board has it on by default =(

ok so i turned off the smart fan control and enabled my own PWM settings for the pulse width of my current fan, and se it so that at different temps, it operates at different speeds.

and now im going to email gigabyte and request that Cool n Quiet be an option in their F12 bios.

I don't think disabling "cool n' quiet" solves the problem. I've got the same problem after disabling it. There is some timer problem (which is TSC in Mac OS, I think). Linux kernel uses pm timer for that and Windows has to has something similar. They just didn't think that a SMP system can have different clocks on the CPU :shock:

BTW, I've forgot to tell you. Disable a core (install CHUD tools in Xcode package and you will have a preference pane) and the system will work like a charm.

I don't think disabling "cool n' quiet" solves the problem. I've got the same problem after disabling it. There is some timer problem (which is TSC in Mac OS, I think). Linux kernel uses pm timer for that and Windows has to has something similar. They just didn't think that a SMP system can have different clocks on the CPU :)

BTW, I've forgot to tell you. Disable a core (install CHUD tools in Xcode package and you will have a preference pane) and the system will work like a charm.

hmm... explain this Xcode package and CHUD please?

and about this SMP having different clocks.... is there any hopes of someone writing a driver that would utilize the dual clocks?

hmm... explain this Xcode package and CHUD please?

and about this SMP having different clocks.... is there any hopes of someone writing a driver that would utilize the dual clocks?

tried to install CHUD and it always crashed after copying the files and doing the "executing install script" portion at the end.

my kernel would just panic, and the dark screen would come down with the 4 languages.

i dont know if i have Xcode installed either.

dangit! there should be an option in bios to disable the second core too!. LOLOLOL

I don't think disabling "cool n' quiet" solves the problem. I've got the same problem after disabling it. There is some timer problem (which is TSC in Mac OS, I think). Linux kernel uses pm timer for that and Windows has to has something similar. They just didn't think that a SMP system can have different clocks on the CPU :)

Thanks for the tip.

I installed CHUD, disabled the 2nd core (Athlon X2)

It appears the stuttering is going away :lol:

Cheers,

Cougar

tried to install CHUD and it always crashed after copying the files and doing the "executing install script" portion at the end.
I also had that problem with the DVD 10.4.3 8F1111 Install Image but with the 8F1099 don't.

Also you can donwload the XCode DMG from apple and install from it.

I don't believe you can physically disable cores on a dual core CPU. Or am I wrong? If you can't do it with windows I don't think you can do it with OS X.

i think you can do it with windows.

all it requires is telling all the processor affinities to be tasked to CPU 0, and none of them to be sent to CPU 1.

the processors are only active when they're called upon.

calling upon only CPU 0 will leave only CPU 0 active.

atleast i think so. thats what the drivers are for.

I also had that problem with the DVD 10.4.3 8F1111 Install Image but with the 8F1099 don't.

Also you can donwload the XCode DMG from apple and install from it.

so is it possible to disable the processor using XCode?!

So with the chud tools, my system will run properly?

Yay!

Anyway, I keep getting kernel panics always when booting natively, any ideas why? I've tried searching the forums, but i didn't find anything :D

I somewhere saw a topic telling me that it's only the x2's that have this issue, correct?