Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

To dual boot install like you normally would. Vista is running just fine right now.

hmm, are you saying if I have working dual boot on one hdd, one partition vista and another osx10.5.1 I can just install the efiv8 and I still have dual boot functioning? Mine works via vista bootloader and tboot (extended chain0). will I mess it up? do I have to do a repair to get my vista bootloader back??

thanks for the guide, very helpful

I cannot make the GUID partition bootable on my Gigabyte P35-DS4. I can only get the com.apple.boot.plist not found with the install disk in the drive.

In addition to the instructions here I have also tried

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

&

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Still doesn't boot. As I said in a previous post. I also get errors during install. Which I think is because It can't read the GUID partition correctly. If I use the same install DVD on a MBR partition it works fine.

Although it's a very recent model. I'm wondering if my motherboard in my sig can support a GUID partition. Has anyone here been successful with a Gigabyte P35-DS4?

Yes fine with P35-DS3P (on external usb 2,5 drive)

do not do long tests but performances as good as 'MBR' with geekbench

You need to UNMOUNT all the partitions on that drive of disk utility and unmount them all

AND please be patient and dont pm me right after you post. Its not like i wont see there is a new post in my thread...

I get this...

MacVista:~ root# /Users/mike/Desktop/EFI.sh

Writing startupfiletool and boot file..

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 281

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 8992

Yee it worked. lets move on!

Writting boot1h file...

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

512 bytes transferred in 0.003042 secs (168311 bytes/sec)

OK that worked. One last step!

Writing one last important boot file!

dd: /dev/disk0: Resource busy

YAY were done!

Were Done.. Do you want to reboot?

Reboot? [Y/N]

I've unmounted my USB hard drives where I'm trying to install this...

I cannot unmount my Tiger HD as that is the one I'm using so it can't unmount???

Any help?

Thanks!

/mdg.

I get this...

MacVista:~ root# /Users/mike/Desktop/EFI.sh

Writing startupfiletool and boot file..

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

Marking word 281

writing back 4096,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 8992

Yee it worked. lets move on!

Writting boot1h file...

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

512 bytes transferred in 0.003042 secs (168311 bytes/sec)

OK that worked. One last step!

Writing one last important boot file!

dd: /dev/disk0: Resource busy

YAY were done!

Were Done.. Do you want to reboot?

Reboot? [Y/N]

I've unmounted my USB hard drives where I'm trying to install this...

I cannot unmount my Tiger HD as that is the one I'm using so it can't unmount???

Any help?

Thanks!

/mdg.

You cant make changes like that to a drive that you are using you have to do it in single user mode or in the install dvd

You cant make changes like that to a drive that you are using you have to do it in single user mode or in the install dvd

So what you are saying is that I should boot into single user mode (e.g. at boot up -s) and then run the script from there?

EDIT: OK. Booted in single user mode and did the script...it ran this time without the resource busy error...

However, when I tried to boot off of this disk I didn't get the error you mentioned...just a blinking cursor.

I might be a total noob, so let me ask you this most basic question....

- I partitioned an external USB hard drive (5 partitions) to test this...see if I can get Leo working

- I used GUID partition map and formatted each partition in HFS+

- In single user mode I just ran the script on the first partition (disk2s2), and all worked fine

- Tried to boot off the USB disk and just blinking cursor

- Booted into Tiger, looked at the partition I just ran the patch on and no visible files on it (Disk Utility shows 8 files...but clearly they are not visible).

...am I going down the right path here??

Thanks,

/mdg.

I am not that good english user. but I try to my best to explain how install leo into Guid partition with Bad Axe 2 mobo..

I had a two disk, one for leo(MBR)installed and another for to make GUID partition disk.

First. make GUID partition and install DVD and patched efi v8 and reboot and click f10 key, choose GUID disk and click enter and every bad axe2 user know that it won't find bootloader.

Reboot go back to the Leo(MBR) and patch efi v7.4 (boot _v7_guid only) and reboot and f10 key and choose GUID disk and press enter key and f8.

Now, bootloader find guid bootable disk.

Go back to the Leo(MBR) and post Kext patch and re-install efi v8 patch and reboot ..f10 .choose guid disk , enter and f8 (I was made Guid partion to make active partition)

Put -v -f word and leo boot in GUID partition..

Upgarade 10.5.1 kernel ,patch sound card and don't for get the _CFGetHostUUIDString Final Extension FIX patch because, some sound program does not installed like iwow...

Simply that was patch efi 8.0 and downgrade to efi 7.4 (boot_v7_guid only) and go back to efi 8.0.

Bad axe 2 is still very stable.

Restart, shutdown and sleep perpectly work.

Also, GUID partition recognize 6.6G DVD which mean can install every printers and foreign language so, I did. ;)

Congratulations you got it.

Do me a favor please:

Open Disk Utility

Click over your HDD you report working GUID Partition Table (yes over HDD, not the partition)

Look down in front of Partition Scheme :

Tel me you can read Guid Partition Table and can't see Master Boot Record.

Waiting for your reply to brake my box if i can´t set it up working with GUID.

Thanks to giving us a hope.

Carlos

Congratulations you got it.

Do me a favor please:

Open Disk Utility

Click over your HDD you report working GUID Partition Table (yes over HDD, not the partition)

Look down in front of Partition Scheme :

Tel me you can read Guid Partition Table and can't see Master Boot Record.

Waiting for your reply to brake my box if i can´t set it up working with GUID.

Thanks to giving us a hope.

Carlos

I tried this method every which way from Sunday and it sure doesn't work for me. It doesn't make much sense to me unless I've lost something in the translation. Switching from v8 to v7.4 and back to v8 would indicate that v7.4 is leaving something behind, which I highly doubt. Now it is possible that there are different revisions of the Bad Axe 2 motherboard that might account for some to get it working and others not. All of the steps about going to f10 before rebooting to the MBR drive might be okay just for observation, but they certainly can't have any effect on the overall process. If it is indeed working, it may be for some reason that is not included in these steps.

Question?

What version of Leopard are you all using? I'm using the Brazilmac patched 4gb DVD. I wonder if this is why I cannot make a bootable GUID partition.

After initially formating your drive with a GUID partition you need to make it bootable. I found the first time I tried using BrazilMac install I couldn't get it to work. After using kalyways Format & Make Bootable HD for Leopard.iso the rest went fine. Do this before you apply the the EFI patch.

Then Installed using BrazilMac instal. Didn't apply the BrazilMac post instal patch. Only thing extra to do was copy AppleSMBIOS.kext and desmos.kext to the extensions folder then repair permissions.

Sory I can't give you a link for kalyways Format & Make Bootable HD for Leopard.iso as I can't remember the link

Could you explain it more detailed..are u meaning u got xp, installed on the second partition (just for example) of GUID table and that's all??
Only x64 XP and Vista will work, they are the only ones that support EFI. i just made a partition in disk utility formatted it with FAT and named it BOOT CAMP just so i knew what partition i could erase and i began installing it. When it was done i took out the disk and to my surprise when i rebooted it re did the boot0 command and booted in to it. It worked! As simple as boot camp!
hmm, are you saying if I have working dual boot on one hdd, one partition vista and another osx10.5.1 I can just install the efiv8 and I still have dual boot functioning? Mine works via vista bootloader and tboot (extended chain0). will I mess it up? do I have to do a repair to get my vista bootloader back??thanks for the guide, very helpful
I think you can only by default boot in to OS X. Since we dont have the option to use "Start Up Disk" In System Preference. Dont mess with the boot flags either it wont do anything

I get an HFS+ partition error...I did this EFI routine after I installed the flat leo image (cloned it to a new drive using Hatchery...following the thread here about the simplest install, which it its...).

How do I get past this?

Tx.

/mdg.

[GUIDE] EFi, GUID, boot_v8 install on GYGABYTE P35-DS3P

Boot BrazilMAC patched dvd

Format your hard disk or partition with disk utility ( GUID option)

Install

Reboot on a tiger or Leopard install

Install 10.5.1 Update

unzip the efi_guid_post_install_folder_P35-DS3P on your desktop

Run (double clic) the efi_guid_post_install.command script (perhaps you have to texedit it and mod it first for your own video or audio options. )

reboot

and voila

I get an HFS+ partition error...I did this EFI routine after I installed the flat leo image (cloned it to a new drive using Hatchery...following the thread here about the simplest install, which it its...).

How do I get past this?

Tx.

/mdg.

Try EFI with a blank disk then install leopard..

@ Carlos Pombo

Yes, I open the disk utility and Partition Map Scheme it show " GUID partition table".

and did you make GUID partition to Partition Active ? maybe it cause effect when intel bios detect bootloader or not.

[GUIDE] EFi, GUID, boot_v8 install on GYGABYTE P35-DS3P

Boot BrazilMAC patched dvd

Format your hard disk or partition with disk utility ( GUID option)

Install

Reboot on a tiger or Leopard install

Install 10.5.1 Update

unzip the efi_guid_post_install_folder_P35-DS3P on your desktop

Run (double clic) the efi_guid_post_install.command script (perhaps you have to texedit it and mod it first for your own video or audio options. )

reboot

and voila

Thanks alib,

I'm going to try this tomorrow. What is the efi_guid_post_install.command script? Do you mean run Brazilmac post patch? Why did you Install the 10.5.1 update after rebooting and just not run the EFI scripts?

i_am...me, you are the man.... i've been trying to install a brazilmac leo for over a week now.... the EFI script you created, and your idea, made the whole process so much easier !

thanks man !

i do have a question though... can't we do the GUID partioning etc... while in the installer DVD via terminal ?

diskutil should be able to handle it via console commands right ?

something like...

diskutil list

diskutil -eraseDisk -GPTFormat /dev/rdiskXsY

we can then run the EFI.sh and go on to install Leo.

?

i_am...me, you are the man.... i've been trying to install a brazilmac leo for over a week now.... the EFI script you created made the whole process so much easier !

thanks man !

Aww no problemo!

im actually going to create a .dmg with every thing that one would need. I gave up on trying to figure out how to do a .pkg installer.

Edit RE:ipguy; i dont see why you cant.

Whats wrong with disk utility in the DVD?

EDIT 2: Zip added with essentials

I figure out what was the problem.. Bad axe2.

After make GUID partion, install DVD , patch efi v8 and reboot, have to make active partition and patch v7 guid only.

Here, how to make active partition..

Open terminal from leo (MBR)

*rdiskXsY (GUID partition)

sudo -s

password:

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f Y

Partition 2 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

bash-3.2# reboot

And go back to leo(MBR)and patch efi v7.4 (boot v7 guid only) and reboot ...click f10 .choose disk (but it does not matter because active partitioning will choose active disk first but I choose disk) enter key and f8 and appear bootloader with efi, and guid partition.

So,

- Make GUID partition

- install DVD

- patch efi v8

- Active partition

- patch efi 7.4 (v7 guid only) * will see guid bootloader

- post kext patch

- boot leo (GUID)

- patch efi v8 again from leo (MBR)

This is what I did..

Aww no problemo!

im actually going to create a .dmg with every thing that one would need. I gave up on trying to figure out how to do a .pkg installer.

Edit RE:ipguy; i dont see why you cant.

Whats wrong with disk utility in the DVD?

EDIT 2: Zip added with essentials

nothing really, just one less thing that needs doing... if we can just boot into DVD, open terminal, run script then install it would make it easier....