Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

i unmount the GUID drive use info to get the patition ID

then edit your script like this

#!/bin/sh

IFS=$'\n' # important!

PATCH="/Users/troy/Desktop/pc_efi_v72" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk2s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk2s2" # drive where EFI is

i ran it every thing went fine press y to reboot

when the drive boots all i get is a black screen with blinking __

regards

my board is asus p5w-dh

i unmount the GUID drive use info to get the patition ID

then edit your script like this

#!/bin/sh

IFS=$'\n' # important!

PATCH="/Users/troy/Desktop/pc_efi_v72" # path to EFI v 7.2

EFI="/dev/rdisk2s2" # the drive for EFI

DRIVE="/dev/disk2" # drive where EFI is

i ran it every thing went fine press y to reboot

when the drive boots all i get is a black screen with blinking __

regards

my board is asus p5w-dh

i corrected it in your post above ^

I can confirm that this method does not work on a bad axe 2.

I am unable to use a guid formatted drive on this motherboard. I have tried both 7.2 and 7.3. It does not boot from the guid drive at all. On a couple weird occasions I got the

/com.apple.boot.plist couldn’t be found -
error and it stopped there. Weird, now I don't get that message and it simply does not boot at all.

I have tried to tweak some settings in the bios:

ATA / IDE Mode to both Native / Legacy and Configure SATA as IDE / AHCI - still no go!

I can confirm that this method does not work on a bad axe 2.

I am unable to use a guid formatted drive on this motherboard. I have tried both 7.2 and 7.3. It does not boot from the guid drive at all. On a couple weird occasions I got the error and it stopped there. Weird, now I don't get that message and it simply does not boot at all.

I have tried to tweak some settings in the bios:

ATA / IDE Mode to both Native / Legacy and Configure SATA as IDE / AHCI - still no go!

When it say, System Configuration file 'com.apple.boot.plist not found' it was installed sucessfully you just need to put OSX back on there

I suspect I've overlooked something simple here but I've literally tried this 9-10 times and haven't gotten it to work yet. I've installed Leopard successfully several times on mbr, but guid is giving me fits. Here's what I've done.

1. Boot to Tiger on an external USB drive.

2. Copy pc_efi_v73 to the desktop.

3. Copy your efi.sh to the desktop.

4. Format a brand new 320GB WD SATA2 drive, partitioning it into 2 partitions, both GUID (actually tried 1 and 2 partitions several times)

5. Opened terminal and did diskutil list to determine that my partitions are disk0s2 and disk0s3.

6. Opened Disk Utility and unmounted both partitions on that drive.

7. Edited your .sh file to show XXX = BJMoose and disk0s2 and disk0 in the appropriate places. Saved it.

8. Re-open Terminal, typed sudo -s (enter) and then entered password.

9. Dragged the .sh file into Terminal (enter) All commands seem to run with no errors.

10.Reboot tells me no bootable disk each time.

I tried installing my patched Brazilmac Leopard anyway and it still wouldn't boot. Have I misunderstood a step or left something simple out? When I look at disk0 in terminal it shows:

disk0=guid

disk0s1=efi

disk0s2=Leopard

disk0s3=MacData

Thanks for any insights you may have.

I suspect I've overlooked something simple here but I've literally tried this 9-10 times and haven't gotten it to work yet. I've installed Leopard successfully several times on mbr, but guid is giving me fits. Here's what I've done.

4. Format a brand new 320GB WD SATA2 drive, partitioning it into 2 partitions, both GUID (actually tried 1 and 2 partitions several times)

5. Opened terminal and did diskutil list to determine that my partitions are disk0s2 and disk0s3.

7. Edited your .sh file to show XXX = BJMoose and disk0s2 and disk0 in the appropriate places. Saved it.

9. Dragged the .sh file into Terminal (enter) All commands seem to run with no errors.

I tried installing my patched Brazilmac Leopard anyway and it still wouldn't boot. Have I misunderstood a step or left something simple out? When I look at disk0 in terminal it shows:

disk0=guid

disk0s1=efi

disk0s2=Leopard

disk0s3=MacData

Ok, try running the very last command again that i listed; dd if=./guid/boot0 of=disk0 bs=400 count=1

ill send you v.72 see if its 7.3 that has problems

I've followed the directions - boot BrazilMac patched Leopard DVD, start disk utility, partition guid, unmount, run startupfiletool, the two dd lines, continue with install of leopard from BrazilMac patched DVD), and everything seems to go fine, but when I reboot after installation I get the /com.apple.boot.plist couldn’t be found

Any ideas? Note that I am installing to an external USB hard drive.

Ok, try running the very last command again that i listed; dd if=./guid/boot0 of=disk0 bs=400 count=1

ill send you v.72 see if its 7.3 that has problems

Thanks for v.72 and the advice above. Still not working for me though. I read in another thread that it might have something to do with the latest bios for this board. I may try to 'down-date' my bios tomorrow and see what happens.

Well last night i raced to download the latest Windows 2008 Server i3886 and 64........off the topic? NO!!!! I installed it and .........

This mornig I Cleared my LAST Windows drive on my DellDimension 9200(XPS410) to redo it with yet another copy of EFI 7.3 MacOS, which incedently started with the original FLAT Image but has stayed on an external usb drive for all these types of experimenting!

WINDWOS(type error intentional) has died, long live windwos!!

IF the new filesystem is this fast, and i can see the speed already, I've decided to go hardware RAID on my Dell and speed things up even more!!

If there are ANGELS on earth, you guys, and girls are among them!!!

Sticman :rolleyes:

Thanks for v.72 and the advice above. Still not working for me though. I read in another thread that it might have something to do with the latest bios for this board. I may try to 'down-date' my bios tomorrow and see what happens.

I read that to...

let me know how it goes.

I am calling it a night right now.. I will be back later tomorrow at about 3:30 PST time. It will be the weekend so i plan on doing many many tests with different scenarios to better help all you guys. If you have any problems post here and i will do one good sweep tomorrow and answer all that i can.

ok. i tried installed efi 7.3 and it installed ok but it doesnt boot, when in verbose it says Package 0 didn't get an HPET, what would i need to do to fix this.

I have tried Leopard on my laptop, but decided i needed to change around my partitions, so i'm sure it works, im just unsure whats causin the malfunction

You say you are running 10.5.1 vanilla on a core duo processor in your sig. from all I have read earlier, the 10.5 kernels need to be patched to support core duo and only core 2 duo and above are supported natively. This has something to do with the c2d processors supporting extended sse3 instructions not found on the earlier core processors. Could you please clarify.

disk0=guid

disk0s1=efi

disk0s2=Leopard

disk0s3=MacData

hi, i think you have missed to unmount your disk0s1, the one with the 200mb efi partition. netkas' guide says "now unmount all partitions on your guid drive (with disc utility e.g.)" which to my understanding also includes the efi partition. i could be wrong but it worked for me by following netkas' guide. interestingly, you don't even have to install Leo on this new guid formatted drive. you just have to copy your existing working Leo install by using freeware carbon copy cloner 3.0.1.

i'm on p5w dh dlx, though. your problem maybe related to your bad axe2 mobo or just a tweak to the bios. i saw other user on this thread has the same problem. also one guy from netkas.org thread. they are both using bad axe2 mobo.

You say you are running 10.5.1 vanilla on a core duo processor in your sig. from all I have read earlier, the 10.5 kernels need to be patched to support core duo and only core 2 duo and above are supported natively. This has something to do with the c2d processors supporting extended sse3 instructions not found on the earlier core processors. Could you please clarify.

well no my sig says i have a Core2Duo T7400 and i only have one core enabled due to crappy Dell Bios which produces graphical stuttering if i use both cores and gives u no speed difference because of all the lag.

ok. i tried installed efi 7.3 and it installed ok but it doesnt boot, when in verbose it says Package 0 didn't get an HPET, what would i need to do to fix this.

I have tried Leopard on my laptop, but decided i needed to change around my partitions, so i'm sure it works, im just unsure whats causin the malfunction

You need to install dsmos.kext and AppleSMBios.kext and make sure you set the permissions correctly m8, that happened to me until I installed those files :unsure:

I read that to...let me know how it goes.
Well, I tried 4 different bios versions, from the most current, all the way back to the one from January of this year. I get the same results with all of them. For some reason, this board doesn't want to see the first (efi) partition or it's not writing anything to it. Although it registers as disk0s1 in terminal, I've not found a way to mount it to see what's in it. If I could mount the partition, perhaps I could manually copy into it what's supposed to be there.I really wanted to see what the performance differences are between MBR and GUID modes, but I guess I'll have to wait for a working bios. MBR is very stable and seems to perform well under pressure. GUID looks like it might offer a little more flexibility since the efi and system really aren't on the same partition. If you can think of anything I may be missing let me know. Either way, thanks for taking the time to look into it.
hi, i think you have missed to unmount your disk0s1, the one with the 200mb efi partition. netkas' guide says "now unmount all partitions on your guid drive (with disc utility e.g.)" which to my understanding also includes the efi partition. i could be wrong but it worked for me by following netkas' guide. interestingly, you don't even have to install Leo on this new guid formatted drive. you just have to copy your existing working Leo install by using freeware carbon copy cloner 3.0.1.i'm on p5w dh dlx, though. your problem maybe related to your bad axe2 mobo or just a tweak to the bios. i saw other user on this thread has the same problem. also one guy from netkas.org thread. they are both using bad axe2 mobo.
Since disk0s1 doesn't show up as a mounted drive in disk utilities, I used terminal to try to unmount it. I tried both the individual unmount command for each partition and also the unmountDisk command to do all of the partitions at the same time. Still no luck. I've done quite a bit of tweaking in the bios, and will continue to try, but as of yet, nothing has helped. I'll read some more and maybe I'll discover something. Thanks.

i installed flawless the tiger in GUID, but when i try to install leopard TOH version doesnt show the Hard disk, in disk utiliy its unmounted and can be mount , when i go to erase i get error Input/output error!

doesnt work with TOH?

thanks

I didnt modify anything and its running just fine..
Well, I tried 4 different bios versions, from the most current, all the way back to the one from January of this year. I get the same results with all of them. For some reason, this board doesn't want to see the first (efi) partition or it's not writing anything to it. Although it registers as disk0s1 in terminal, I've not found a way to mount it to see what's in it. If I could mount the partition, perhaps I could manually copy into it what's supposed to be there.I really wanted to see what the performance differences are between MBR and GUID modes, but I guess I'll have to wait for a working bios. MBR is very stable and seems to perform well under pressure. GUID looks like it might offer a little more flexibility since the efi and system really aren't on the same partition. If you can think of anything I may be missing let me know. Either way, thanks for taking the time to look into it.Since disk0s1 doesn't show up as a mounted drive in disk utilities, I used terminal to try to unmount it. I tried both the individual unmount command for each partition and also the unmountDisk command to do all of the partitions at the same time. Still no luck. I've done quite a bit of tweaking in the bios, and will continue to try, but as of yet, nothing has helped. I'll read some more and maybe I'll discover something. Thanks.
Well im sorry it didnt work... Im not sure if natkas can fix this problem since obviously its the mother board that doesnt want to see the GUID disk. we can only hope for the best..

followed your guide for method 2. created the GUID partition ok. Ran all the terminal commands ok. Rebooted got sys config com.apple.boot.plist not found. Rebooted with Brazil Leopard. Began install.

At this point I get an error Installer could not validate contents of the base system package.

This Brazil Leopard DVD was used with EFI 5.1 and everything worked. So It looks like 7.2 and GUID may not work for me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Or is it back to 5.1 and MBR for me.