Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

i_am...me

i_am...me

Macbook Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Unzip the file in a pendrive or an iPod, in my case I've to boot from the DVD with the pendrive plugged in or otherwise it wont mount.
Then you just open the console an CD /Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE/
Make sure your drive is unmounted before you leave Disk Utility as stated in the first post.

Sorry if you don't understand something, I'm trying to help but my english is bad.

Couldnt have said it better myself!

Thanks for helpin

donmarconi

donmarconi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you i_am...me for the great guide!
I installed EFI with your instructions, retail Leopard, and Windows XP64.
Question is should I have boot camp fancy screen when I hold option or not. Because I followed your instructions for dual-boot and when I hold option it reports some errors about applesmbios.kext. I've put timeout string in com.apple.boot.plist and when I click boot options in darwin boot screen I can choose to boot into XP.
Is that how things supposed to work with your instructions or I can get Boot Camp screen (despite not having hardware efi)?

edit:
I found all explanations on netkas site, sry for bothering:)

olav

olav

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi, I've not been able to install xp x64 or vista x64, both of the installers complain that I have a GPT disk. I installed leopard from a retail image (first EFI v8), and then resized the HFS+ volume and created a windows volume using diskutil. I was able to format the FAT volume to NTFS in the vista installer as well but no install :( . Can I somehow check if I succeeded and got a hybrid GPT/MBR disk? diskutil list only states Microsoft Basic Data for the new volume. I have used the exact same procedure (except EFI v8 :unsure: ) on my macbook and it worked very well.

Sorry, it works now! my mistake, I forgot to count the EFI partition, so I actually had 5 partitions, and as MBR only can handle 4 primary partitions the install cd didn't find my FAT partition. When I merged two partitions so the FAT partition became the fourth the install cd behaved normally!

dodo

dodo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
after follow this guide

on retail install leopard

i got the HFS+ partition error

please help me fix this

i have done the partition active guide but after that i get the b0 error

this is my system info

SYSTEM BOARD : D975XBX2
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
MEM : DDR2 800
VIDEO : Nvidia 8600 GT 512mb
HD : 1 Segate 320gb
DVD : LG DVD burner

jin katama

jin katama

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hello friend

i am totally confused about mac installation may i known what these lines are for :thumbsup_anim:

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v72
 ./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
 dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
 dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

ok what ever it may be please tell me the easiest way to install mac os x leapord my resources

(i am new born baby with mac :( )

:wacko:
Mac book pre-installed mac OS x leopard (with Mac OS x 2 DVD)

My pc
Configuration
ECS 945GCT-m2 Mother board
Core 2 duo 2.22
1 GB DDR Ram
160 GB HDD SATA
160 GB HDD ATA

and i have a 2 GB pen drive

please help :angel:

manutd.vn

manutd.vn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My PC:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500
Mainboard: Gigabyte G31M-S2L
Ram: DDR2 800
VGA ATI HD X1550 VRam 256Mb
Sound: Realtek ALC 662 :Work
HDD: Samsung SATA 160Gb

I have setup Leopard 10.5.5 of iDeneb teams, but when i open System profiler, in Graphic/Display, i see
- CI: Software
- QE: Not supported
When i setup iDeneb, when i costume i don't click any kennel, plz help me

Iman07

Iman07

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
can someone show me where i can get the 9.6 vanilla kernel? im still running at 9.4. thanks!

RSN

RSN

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Great work!!! :)

One note, for Intel mobo, it appears you MUST flag the partition active or it will NOT BOOT DIRECTLY (can via GRUB). Need to do the boot -s fdisk -e /dev/rdiskxsy f 1 w q drill. Ive done this with 4 different machines Intel (neither booted without the activating the partition) and one laptop toshiba Qosmio(which didnt need it) and Retail 10.5.5 from a Macbook new model (Dec 2008).

Great work!!! :)

One note, for Intel mobo, it appears you MUST flag the partition active or it will NOT BOOT DIRECTLY (can via GRUB). Need to do the boot -s fdisk -e /dev/rdiskxsy f 1 w q drill. Ive done this with 4 different machines Intel (neither booted without the activating the partition) and one laptop toshiba Qosmio(which didnt need it) and Retail 10.5.5 from a Macbook new model (Dec 2008).

buglis

buglis

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Can i use this guide to install efi 9?

mexifelio

mexifelio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi guys,
great tutorial!

One thing that can maybe be added to the tutorial when using a thumb drive:
I was able to get everything going until I rebooted after the install
I was getting the error saying that there was an error booting from the drive

it turns out that there was no active partition set

i'm not sure if this is an assumed step, or just something that i had to do (i followed the guide exactly)

anyways, these steps worked for me (thank you for poster on earlier pages)

restart the computer
boot of dvd with the option -s (to bring up terminal)

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
p (this will show you the list of partitions)
f 1 (activating this partition is what got everything working for me, you may need to activate a different one depending on if you add or changed your partitions, i only made 1 as the guide showed)
w
reboot

maybe this can be added to the guide to help other people having the same issues after install?

Thanks again!!!

v1v3k

v1v3k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My Pc conifg is Intel® Pentium D,1 GB ram,3.00 Ghz...........

so which Mac OS install will work on my pc .......

Alibum2134

Alibum2134

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey people. I have a Toshiba Satellite model A305-S6872. I was wondering if anyone could tell me wat the best and easiest way to install OS X on it is. I have done so before, but it kept crashing. For my first install, I used the Kalyway install. Everything worked fine except the webcam and Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi card is the Intel 5100, which I understand is under development. For my second install, I used iPC. It was even worse, but I didnt have to go through the whole update thing with backing up me Kexts. The ethernet didnt work, sound didnt... etc. On both installs the webcam didnt work. Help would be greatly appreciated. Again my two questions: What is the best way to installl OSx86 on the Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872, and how do I get the webcam to work.
Thanks,
Alibum

boredtoday

boredtoday

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
so, is there any way i can dual boot to xp/vista/7 using non-core processor (P4 to be specific)?

like installing into another hdd (i have 1 extra) and going in the bios to switch hdd priority boot (i don't mind)?

itsbmw

itsbmw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You sir, are a savior. thank you so much. After following this guide, mac boots perfectly. my internet now works. and also my gfx are at full resolution. Just cant get quartz GL working but that is the least of my concerns :D
last thing to do is get a codec dump for my sigmatel card and I will be a happy camper. thanks again,
Brandon!

EDIT: NVM I got quartz Gl working, now its just the audio :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy