AMD Phenom RELEASED

~pcwiz

41 posts in this topic

Funny how most people loved AMD and now they are behind in benchmarks most people think their doomed. True quad core, true 64bit at a lower price, seems more people are bothered about how many fps they get than anything else.

That would completely cramp the style. Sticking manufacturer logos all over a nice Mac.BTW, check out the Phenom box. The purple ray looks like the Leopard aurora:27040.jpg
Terrible mind set you have, can anyone use purple or space scenes now that Leopard uses them, it's not like they invented it is it?You can't have blue and green together, OMG it's a Vista ripoff.

True quad core, true 64bit at a lower price, seems more people are bothered about how many fps they get than anything else.

Isn't that what is important?

Most users don't care what the clock speed is or how many cores a CPU has, all that matters is end user performance. (However you want to evaluate it.)

Yeah, does anyone have a Phenom system running OS X? If so, any Xbench scores?

P.S. I give AMD full credit for the name...Phenom, now thats a cool name for a processor. The Intel "Penryn" sounds like a geek toy (even though it has awesome performance).

Also, aren't they have manufacturing problems with the Phenom too?

I do feel bad for AMD, I remember like 7 years ago when my friends and I all started going with AMDs because they were cheaper and out-performed Intel and a lot of people were just kind of sick of Intel. Did anyone here have the XP2500+ CPU? That thing was a beast for overclocking.

Now.. Intel rocks, thanks to AMD for making them step up. My current processor is an E6300 and I just ordered an E6750 with my new system, woo. To tell you the truth, I barely even considered AMD for this system.

Yeah, there's a bug in the phenom currently.

Most users don't care what the clock speed is

Most average users. But this can also be said not to be true, because people will try to sell it to them that a higher clocked cpu will be faster, like saying a dual core amd at 2.5 ghz cpu is faster than a core 2 duo at 2.3 ghz.

or how many cores a CPU has

Average users again. Think about people who do know what they're doing with computers and have a demand for one with performance. A single core won't do anything for you. :D

The worse thing about this is that the B3 revision will just be what we saw in the most positive reviews of the Phenom(overclocked engineer samples running test that would not show the errata), not a speed bump. The only way B3 is different to anyone is the poor sods who bought B2 phenoms.

Q1/Q2 going by all hints divulged will NOT be when AMD gets back in the black performance wise. Intel is just toying with them now and will be most likely throughout 2008 :censored2:

• 3 months later...
Lookie here people, Phenom has a boo-boo:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/hardware.a...-produdct-delay

I like my phenom. Its very reliable. My pc before this was a Q6600 and it was very load. It crashed on me and had it sent back to gateway 2 times! after that I was able to get a refund from best buy to get a new pc. The phenom is super quite as I need that for my music studio. I do see a small speed differance. Phenum has a better thread rate. I convert alot of music and video and I do see it running faster in that area. Other than that the gateway fx7020 was a very good deal. but will it run osx86 natively??? Keeps rebooting on me. I got picks of the errers if anybodys interested.

p.s

O bye the way ~pcwiz, I did get 10.5 to work on vmware with Marvins on my phenom, Its pretty slow like g4. The Tiger version works farely good. Its a good test to see if I likey and I do! :) Thanks

Gateway FX7020

Processor: AMD Phenom 9600 / 2.3 GHz True-Quad-Core

Mother Board: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Memmory: 3GB DDR II SDRAM 667mhz

Hard Drives:

WD 500GB Caviar Sata

WD 500GB Caviar Sata Green Power

DVD-RW: Optiarc AD-7173A ATA

Video: Evga NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT GDDR3 SDRAM 512mb

Sound Card: Integrated

Network Adapter: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (on-board)

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio/M-Audio Fast Track

NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

Sata Hardware Ids PCI\VEN

0x03F6&SUBSYS_26061019&REV_A2

0x03F6&SUBSYS_26061019

0x03F6&CC_010185

0x03F6&CC_0101

Isn't that what is important?

Most users don't care what the clock speed is or how many cores a CPU has, all that matters is end user performance. (However you want to evaluate it.)

So a fake Ferrari goes quicker than a real one, which do you want?

quicker... wait for proper cpu drivers to be released

when x2 was released, w/out a proper driver its performance was poor.

and, for others waiting a xbench, xbench is not good.. i mean.. i have a core 2 duo 1.6 and it took about 70 points more than my amd rig, but infact it's a lot slower in overall performance...

Old thread diggers :P

SAKIYAKI,

I love my Q6600 G0 processor. Never overheated on me before! I'm using the stock cooler and its 25 C for each core and 45 C overall. And at the highest peaks the max it ever goes is around 50 C, and this is with a stock cooler with no watercooling or anything :(