Is it possible to get all four ICH9 SATA ports working?

Skitals

81 posts in this topic

Yep. I completely second that.

Hey, Thanks for the tip guys!!!

With AHCI enabled no more crashes...

I am assuming that any setup with more than 4GB ram will crash often, or is it 4gb specifically for some reason?

would love to see all four sata ports working under ahci. any gurus out there?

I have 2 sata hard drives and a sata dvd drive, so right now one of my hard drives is useless. (plugged into 3rd sata port)

thinking about upgrading to motherboard with ich9r for full support :P

Hi,

The problem is with the AppleVIAATA.kext and also JmicronATA.kext. The typical hack to make any other SATA port besides 1-2 is to include the second pair of ports DevID/VendorID in the the AppleVIAATA.kext. That's because the SATA ports in ICH8/ICH9 comes in pairs as two different devices.

(On the other hand, JmicronATA.kext is used plain or modified to allow the IDE port on JMicron controller).

Well, the thing is: THOSE TWO KEXT AREN'T PAE COMPATIBLE (it's my guessing) or are just plain badly programmed. What that means? They can't work with more than around 3 GB RAM. Otherwise they Kernel Panic!

The solution would be to modify/compile a new AppleAHCIPort.kext and/or AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (as a plugin inside IOATAFamily.kext) that could allow more than one DevID detection (and this is the real problem that forces to use the damn AppleVIAATA.kext in first place).

Cheers!

Hi,

The problem is with the AppleVIAATA.kext and also JmicronATA.kext. The typical hack to make any other SATA port besides 1-2 is to include the second pair of ports DevID/VendorID in the the AppleVIAATA.kext. That's because the SATA ports in ICH8/ICH9 comes in pairs as two different devices.

(On the other hand, JmicronATA.kext is used plain or modified to allow the IDE port on ICH8x/ICH9x).

Well, the thing is: THOSE TWO KEXT AREN'T PAE COMPATIBLE (it's my guessing) or are just plain badly programmed. What that means? They can't work with more than around 3 GB RAM. Otherwise they Kernel Panic!

The solution would be to modify/compile a new AppleAHCIPort.kext and/or AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (as a plugin inside IOATAFamily.kext) that could allow more than one DevID detection (and this is the real problem that forces to use the damn AppleVIAATA.kext in first place).

Cheers!

@audio01: thanks for that explanation, that makes sense. Do you happen to know if with 10.5.2 is something new that could help us tackle this?

• 2 months later...
Keep up the good work Skitals. I'm following this thread closely. I have a Foxconn G33M02 board with ICH9 device ID's 2920 and 2926, each with 2 SATA ports and I'm learning a lot from this thread. I, too, have tried a number of modifications without success. I only have the option of IDE or RAID in my BIOS, though, and both would give me the "waiting for root" message when trying to install. ToH RC2 finally installed correctly for me, probably because it offers some sort of ICH9 support, but it did only give me 2 of 4 ports, like you (recognized 2920 but not 2926, if I remember correctly).

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm a newbee!

How do I install the "AppleVIAATA.kext" on the 10.4.8, I also have a SATA DVD which is not working at all.

Please help on this and keep the good work to help others to solve their problems.

Ta.