-Not Many Bugs

-Easy Install

-Good Power Management

The Negatives:

-Transparent Bar At Top Can Sometimes Look Strange Depending On Your Background

-The Blue Dots On The 3D Dock Are Sometimes Hard To See

-Some Driver Problems (Hackintosh)

Side Notes:

-My Framerate in all my games are alot higher on Mac OS X Leopard then Windows XP/Vista

-Mac OS X Leopard boots faster then Windows XP/Vista

-Safari does not support Google Page Creator sadly

-Mac OS X Leopard runs faster after install than Windows XP/Vista

-Marvell Yurkon 88E8038 on Acer Laptops does not work under Mac OS X sadly

-Mac OS X Leopard does not need AntiVirus

-Battery Life lasts longer under Mac OS X Leopard then Windows Vista

-A Mobile Phone has more viruses then Mac OS X Leopard (rumor I heard somewhere)

-World of Warcraft has a feature under the Options called "Mac Options" that allows the user to record gameplay.

-Only game that I own that does not play under Mac OS X Leopard Natively is Guild Wars sadly

-Safari has a cool interface

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T START THIS DEBATE AGAIN...

I'M GOING TO DIE OF HEADACHES FOR THE NEXT MONTH

THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED A BILLION TIMES OVER SO JUST EDIT IT AND DELETE THE POST AND CONSIDER IT A DEAD THREAD

PLEASE EVERYONE I BEG YOU DON'T REPLY TO THIS AFTER ME SO IT CAN BE CONSIDERED A ZOMBIE THREAD

Note to mods: Please don't give me another warning for this because I'm 2 easy warnings away from being banned (if you are considering it). Instead put a ban on Windows vs. OS X discussions like this and stop the madness before it starts.

One thing is for sure, for serious gaming Leopard will not do it. You take vista no doubt about it.Also it is never unnecessary to have anti virus for Leopard, I use Mcafee Virusscan 8.6.I like both systems, but my preference still goes to Vista.Oh and inspired by the previous poster (numberzz), Media Centre beats front row hands down ;)

I just can't stand Vista for to long, yes it looks nicer than XP and has better security, new sound stack which it needed but I find Leopard ALOT more nicer and easier to use. Vista Aero is rather nice but the shininess wears off and Aqua/iTunes UI just looks great all round. OS X is just not good for gaming at all really, Vista is slower than XP and I'll be replacing Vista with Linux for gaming as I play ETQW and UT3.

In the end for me it's,

Vista: Some good improvements over XP but XP for me is better for gaming, UAC blanking the screen is annoying, dont like Explorer and it's all rather to shinny. Inconsistent layout, Poor memory for Vista 64 takes 800-900Mb of memory which the rest is cached.

Leopard: Great for everyday use, easy to use and nicely laid out, not very good for gaming and the securely by default is rather lacking, excellent apps with consistant layout and fast without the need for memory caching or tricks, good optimization for the hardware.

The Negatives:

-Aero Theme is Both Power and Memory Demanding

> It uses the GPU, not RAM.

-User Account Control Is Very Annoying At Times

> What are you doing that causes prompts, all the time?

-Not So Great Backwards Compatibility With Certain Software

> Like ?

-Has Several Different Versions, Very Confusing

> HAHAH.

-Limited Driver Support

> Hardware vendors have had years to work on drivers.

-The Amount of Memory Needed To Run Vista is Quite High. 1GB+

> My dad bought a laptop for my little sister last night which came with Vista Home Basic and it has 512MB RAM and runs really smooth, I'm actually really surprised.

Aero isn't at all demanding. If I can run Vista with full effects including dreamscene and aero on my single core athlon 2.2 ghz, not even 1024 mb due to shared memory from the xpress 200 that's only ddr333, then yeah. UAC is very annoying, I'll agree with that. That's why they give you the option of turning it off, backwards compatibility is only bad with older programs. Every program I ran on XP I can run on Vista, if not better. Windows has different versions for different varieties of cpus, like 32-bit ones like the core duo? Driver support isn't limited....For some hardware there are very crappy drivers for vista, but still there. For the 1 gb of ram, umm have you noticed the standard in computers is now about 2 gb? 1 gb isn't that horrible, it's not like 1 gb of ram is $400.

If you're not interested in gaming and don't mind if you have subpar hardware, Leopard is better than Vista. Vista pluses over Leopard are that it works legitimately and legally on any hardware and that its great for games. Otherwise Leopard beats it.

The Negatives:

> Like ?

> HAHAH.

-Limited Driver Support

> My dad bought a laptop for my little sister last night which came with Vista Home Basic and it has 512MB RAM and runs really smooth, I'm actually really surprised.

Rather than keep convincing people that they are somehow doing thing wrong, why dont you just add something to the thread rather than trying to bash it down with your expert so called knowledge. Just face it, Vista is pretty much hated, sales and review reflect that and Microsoft even have to show stupid comparisons between Crysis DX10 and Halo(console port) DX9. Vista is in a sad state and nothing you say or do can change that so can you contribute anything to this OS X forum?

The Negatives:

> Like ?

> HAHAH.

-Limited Driver Support

You are definitely the most naive and baised person I have ever met. How can you honestly believe that b/s, please tell me you're joking.

It's like the quote in my sig - it's no secret that Vista's compatibility is the worst of any major OS release in the last 5-6 years - the entire tech community knows it, I have applications that I depend on everyday that simply won't work on Vista - as do most businesses, which is why an upgrade to vista for 90% of businesses is not even a thought. I work for IT, I know this shit and please don't believe robotskip's {censored} - don't try to run Vista on a system with 512 MB RAM - it's slow as hell, and you can't even run Aero well.

And the idea that Aero uses the GPU is nice, but that's still memory - yeah, last time I checked - VRAM - which stands for Video Random Access Memory is still massive amounts of memory that are wasted just because of visual effects.

Robotskip, do some research before posting another baised and wasteful post.

Oh dear, the hypocrites are attacking. ^____________^

Rather than keep convincing people that they are somehow doing thing wrong, why dont you just add something to the thread rather than trying to bash it down with your expert so called knowledge. Just face it, Vista is pretty much hated, sales and review reflect that and Microsoft even have to show stupid comparisons between Crysis DX10 and Halo(console port) DX9. Vista is in a sad state and nothing you say or do can change that so can you contribute anything to this OS X forum?

Where did I say or imply I had 'expert knowledge'? Uh-oh, I didn't?! Sales are actually good (Look Ma', no evidence!), reviews (Try the honest ones, I doubt you have), and about Crysis.. I don't really know what you're going on about there, do you? :( Vista is in a sad state, according to what, you and some lackeys on the interwebs? I mean, it's not like Microsoft is still growing.. wait, they are you say?!

You are definitely the most naive and baised person I have ever met. How can you honestly believe that b/s, please tell me you're joking.

It's like the quote in my sig - it's no secret that Vista's compatibility is the worst of any major OS release in the last 5-6 years - the entire tech community knows it, I have applications that I depend on everyday that simply won't work on Vista - as do most businesses, which is why an upgrade to vista for 90% of businesses is not even a thought. I work for IT, I know this {censored} and please don't believe robotskip's {censored} - don't try to run Vista on a system with 512 MB RAM - it's slow as hell, and you can't even run Aero well.

And the idea that Aero uses the GPU is nice, but that's still memory - yeah, last time I checked - VRAM - which stands for Video Random Access Memory is still massive amounts of memory that are wasted just because of visual effects.

Robotskip, do some research before posting another baised and wasteful post.

I'm really not seeing any quote which proves that Vista has the worst compatibility of any OS in the past 5-6 years? The entire tech community? Please link me to the definitive voice, I wasn't even aware there was one. Alright, so 90% of businesses is not a thought? I've seen reports on both sides saying the opposite and hey, you should provide a link.

Oh, and watch out kids, this guy works in IT! Next thing you know he'll tell us how his dad works for IBM and that he has a Comp Sci degree! I'm trembling, really. :o About Vista on 512MB of RAM, well, it was my sister's birthday on Saturday and he bought her a $575AU Compaq laptop which came with Vista Home and guess what, it's nowhere near as sluggish as I thought it would be, in fact, it's fairly smooth (Though occasionally starting some apps is so slow) and guess what Aero runs well (Though not Aero Glass) -- My anecdotal evidence beats yours, ha!

Wow, VRAM sure is memory (We have a bright here, I foresee a bright future full of low level IT support), but guess what, he wasn't referring to the memory on the GPU, he was referring to system memory. Therefore, I'm still right and he's still wrong and a link please to Aero using 'massive amounts of memory' -- thanks buddy. Another little fun bit of info, there's more than the RAM on a video card which does stuff and VRAM been obsolete for some time now, since like the late 90s since SDRAM became so cheap -- according to Wikipedia anyway, but I guess you were trying to use VRAM as some broad general statement to include GDDR, etc so I'll let this one slide. :)

lostgame, provide some evidence before you make more whimsical claims and useless posts. See what I did there? :o You're not biased, at all, are you? I mean, going by your last post and all!

I do have a computer science degree. I worked my ass off for it and if you have a problem with that, you'd better {censored}ing take it to a PM because I don't take people making fun of me for stuff I worked for 4 years for lightly.

robotskip, provide some evidence before you make more whimsical claims and useless posts. See what I did there? :(

Wow, this is kind of funny, actually. Fighting on the Interwebs is serious business.

Of course it does. Aero is part of an operating system that's made for modern machines, and not for anything below a P4. Because of the amount of power it uses, it has to use GPU, because normal RAM is much slower than VRAM. In this case, it's becoming more like OSX when it comes to handling video memory (Quartz Extreme). You can try to disable it, though I'm not sure if that helps significantly.

It can be easily disabled. Vista is made to be an operating system for people who have little to no knowledge of computers. To a generation that has grown up with computers since Windows 95, of course it's annoying. It's something we're not used to.

This is more of a security issue, in my opinion. To keep compatibility with much older software keeps the flaws and exploits that existed during that time. Even with mediocre backwards compatibility in Vista, it can still run legacy code, which is a major security flaw.

I personally think it's a ploy for the user to buy the Ultimate version in the long run to get everything instead of trying to filter out the features they'd miss out on. It's not all that confusing to begin with anyways.

-Limited Driver Support

Well, yeah, it's a new operating system. Everything from Tiger doesn't work entirely on Leopard either. It happened with the jump from 98/ME to 2000/XP, OS9 to OSX, and it's obviously happening from XP to Vista.

Really, 1GB is the norm for anything computer bought today. 512MB RAM with Vista is like 256MB RAM with Windows XP. It'll run the bare minimum, such as Microsoft Office products and the games that came with it, but for anything else, doubling the amount will help a ton.

On the matter of which OS is better, it really all depends. Like mentioned in the posts above, every OS has its advantages. As of now, Vista is definitely a more home based operating system. Vista is not ready for the business world. Perhaps it will be around Service Pack 1.

Really, 1GB is the norm for anything computer bought today. 512MB RAM with Vista is like 256MB RAM with Windows XP. It'll run the bare minimum, such as Microsoft Office products and the games that came with it, but for anything else, doubling the amount will help a ton.

picture_1-19-20071204-192241.jpg

It is good to see that some reason seems to have arrived at this discussion. Dainix (#17) I fully agree with what you say.

In fact the limited software compatibility (which isn't as bad as is suggested on here anyway) is a good thing in the long end, and hopefully will be carried through in subsequential releases, as dodgy software should indeed by ruled out. That's the main reason for the compatibility issues, not the quality of the OS as such. Quite funny actually that complaints about drivers and software is voiced on an apple forum, the one OS that is known for their lack of backwards compatibility and limited hardware support.

Tip: try running Xpress 5 on Leopard ^_^

I do have a computer science degree. I worked my ass off for it and if you have a problem with that, you'd better {censored}ing take it to a PM because I don't take people making fun of me for stuff I worked for 4 years for lightly.

robotskip, provide some evidence before you make more whimsical claims and useless posts. See what I did there? :o

Uh-oh kids, 4 years, watch out! Mr. Internet is Serious Business over here is about to explode.

You see, your comment could almost be labelled as witty but it just comes off as desperate and petty. I challenged all your dubious claims and you failed to address any of them, all you did was have a hissy fit about your oh-so-awesome 4 years of study.

So, I guess you can't prove any of your statements so that's why you made the above quoted comment and gleefully ignored every challenge I presented.. so either step up and prove your claims or shut up.. but is saying this hypocritical of me? Nope, and my challenge first and I have provided [some] links from the get go.

And, in my first post the majority of it was questioning the quoted person, like me asking just what was incompatible, etc and in my second post addressing 2 people the majority of it was me questioning your claims and so on; I have little to 'prove' as I was waiting for the person to actually say something remotely definitive instead of the broad, sweeping comments -- which he's failed to do and you've failed to stand up to your claims.

Oh, and Dainix has more or less said the same things as me and/or put forward the same questions, is he biased, etc like all the things you and the other guy called me?

Last thing, lol at your 'censoring' - you're hardcore, mate, I think I'd be too scared to try and handle you 1 on 1 in a PM, who would I go cry to? ^_^:(:P And since I'm a kind fellow I'll post some links for the very, very few claims I made:

In regards to..

'High' memory usage: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html -- backs up my various memory related comments

Performance on old (Like 1-7 years old) computers: http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/vintagevista.ars (Way old Vista builds too with none of the available patches, lack of decent drivers, etc) -- backs up my comment about my sister's new laptop

Performance in general compared to XP: http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.a...i=2917&p=11 (Old build, no patches, old drivers, etc) -- backs up various comments of mine

And so on, and some I don't need to back up with a link because as I freaking stated, they aren't claims, they're questions and other things like hardware vendors taking ridiculously long to get decent drivers out doesn't require a link, but claims like "90% of businesses won't upgrade," "Worst backwards compatibility for any major OS in 5-6 years," "Aero uses excessive amounts of memory" and so on do require backup, like I challenged you but you failed to meet that challenge -- I've more than quickly done my work, do yours.

Edit: And for the record, I have never claimed to be explicitly correct and will be more than happy for people to point out mistakes or just lack of knowledge since I certainly make many of the both. :D And most of my comments are simply questioning the commentee and they tend to fail to respond properly anyway. :(

Guys have either of you been warned by the mods yet (robotskip, lostgame)? Well you're on an easy path to get into trouble ;)

robotskip, you are way to overconfident and lostgame you were kinda harsh there with your 1st post there against robotskip. Now lets stop fighting and get into smart people discussion ;):)

My side on things:

Windows Vista

Aero Theme is Both Power and Memory Demanding

True, Aero does use GPU power but it consumes other resources as well, including RAM (not too much).

User Account Control Is Very Annoying At Times

Definitely annoying. It asks you even when you want to copy something. But, then again its there as a security feature to prevent malicious code from executing on your computer and can be easily turned off if needed.

Not So Great Backwards Compatibility With Certain Software

True in a way. Most of my old games and apps worked, but I'm not the one to say ;) Developers should be developing Vista versions of programs now, its their responsibility. The Compatibility Mode also helps when running old programs in Vista

Has Several Different Versions, Very Confusing

All Windows OSes had different editions, but not to this extent obviously. I guess they could have had a few less editions.

Limited Driver Support

Very true, but there are drivers being developed for Vista so in a few years this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Right now I think most can make do with Vista's generic included drivers.

The Amount of Memory Needed To Run Vista is Quite High. 1GB+

My computer with 1GB RAM ran a fresh install of Vista Ultimate pretty well. I think 512MB should be OK if you are running something like Home Basic.

If I get warned for being over confident I'm going to need 2 hugs. ;):)

I agree with most of your comments too, oh wise ~pcwiz. lostgame, that's another person who's comments are mostly in-line with me, now what? I'm willing to drop it all if, wait for it, I get 3 hugs.

Yeah, I know that's pushing it a bit, but come on. :D :D