Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

Currently using Leopard 10.5.1 on my AMD.

My Onboard LAN (RTL8139), which works perfectly on my Tiger (10.4.10) install, is having major problems in Leopard

I get constant connection drops although it says I am still connected!

Once the connection drops I have no alternative but to re-start!

Even worse it just started the 'self assigned ip' problem. So the only way I can connect (for the lil while it stays online) is my manually setting the ip.

I have tried the following solutions:

IONetworking kext file from Tiger

PCGen 1.2 Drivers (which works perfectly in Tiger)

Modified AppleRTL8139 drivers

Original AppleRTL8139 drivers

I have all but given up

Would appreciate if someone could help me solve this problem and maybe the 'self assigned ip' problem too...

I just noticed something really funny.

When my network card stops functioning, my itunes stops working as well!!!

I don't understand how they can be connected?!? Every single time I have suddenly not been able to browse or access the Internet, I have not been able to playback on itunes!

Are you having the same problem spiral?

Reboot is not necessary, go to System Preferences=>Network. Select the NIC that "hangs" go to Configure=> select "Off". Select apply. Then select the previous settings under Configure. The NIC will be up again until it is going down again. This will save you a reboot.

I have the same problem after adding a MSI HD2600Pro. So I am going to tweak in the BIOS settings I think... or buy a 3com...

Reboot is not necessary, go to System Preferences=>Network. Select the NIC that "hangs" go to Configure=> select "Off". Select apply. Then select the previous settings under Configure. The NIC will be up again until it is going down again. This will save you a reboot.

I have the same problem after adding a MSI HD2600Pro. So I am going to tweak in the BIOS settings I think... or buy a 3com...

Wow...you're having the problem because of the display card you added???

Please let me know if u managed to fix it and what settings u tweaked in Bios...

Hey Sun.

I tried your above method, but the network still didn't come back on. It showed 'connected' but couldn't browse internet or network.

Here is another funny thing though...

In the past few days, I've had two days when the connection was PERFECT! No drop outs at all.

But on BOTH these days, iChat, during conversation, had lots of static noise! After a restart the static went away but the connection dropped within minutes...

I just can't seem 2 understand what all this is related to...

damn :angel: lots of people are having this problem and nothing seems to fix it. is this something that only affects AMD users?

and i just cant understand why my rtl8139 works perfectly for me but not for my friend. could it be because he has a faster connection maybe?

hope someone finds a working fix... ;)

I had this problem on my GF's msi-945-gm3 f (using the RT1000 patch).. I was able to somewhat reduce the dropouts by forcing speed/duplex which may implicate a media detect issue (this is on a ~100ft cable run, I re-crimped each end to rule out connector issues). My present workaround is the buffalo pci wifi/nic (detects as airport extreme) :(

if it drops, go to terminal:

sudo -s

kextunload /path/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

kextload /path/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

then you don't have to restart your computer.

This is really weird...the above didn't help!!

It showed as not available when I unloaded it...and then it showed as connected after I loaded it...but there was still no real connection...I couldn't browse to the LAN or Internet....

I'm wondering if the problem is more serious than I thought...why does it work so perfectly in Tiger? :P

This is really getting on my nerves...

Im getting the same problem on Leopard with a Broadcom 440X (acer 5610)

The only way I can get it working nonstop is to boot -f.

if anyone can find a way to fix it PLEASE HELP! booting -f adds liek 10-15 secs and I hate it! Especially because I cant sleep, so off and on takes like 40 secs now..

Yeah... I'm having too. I do not realize since I'm not that fan of iTunes. But I'm also having multiple lock ups, but when I disable network everything working pretty fine on Leopard. Now I'm going back to Vista and Tiger until I find a solution to this =/

Hi Spiral.

I think I might know what the problem is...although not very sure...

Which of the following programs did you have installed on Leopard (at the time u were having the problem)?

-istat menus

-iWork '08

-iLife '08

Please lemme know...

I had istat, but that was horrible. That lock me up pretty good lol. But the network problem is unsolved yet... damn.

Hmm...so you didn't have Ilife or iWork?

I re-installed ToH and everything was working perfectly with no network lock ups or iTunes stops...

Then, in one go, I installed the above listed programs and all the updates that came along...after that was the first time I had the network/itunes lock up...

Really strange...

• 2 weeks later...

Having the network drop issue. Even tried going back to the 10.4.8 IONetworking.kext that I KNOW works fine.

I don't know about itunes crashing. But the network drops within an hour of no activity, and dies completely if I run a torrent for 10min.

Ilife 08 is installed. None of the other programs.

It doesn't look like it. Doesn't seem like it's a common issue. But it also seems not to be a osx86 issue, but a leopard issue (probably a 10.5.2 fix) as people with ibooks and macbooks seem to have this issue as well ( I don't on my macbook however)

I'm annoyed. As my desktop is useless. Every hour I have to reboot to keep network. I re-installed leopard a couple of days ago and didn't have network drops. Re-installed today and it's happening. I don't know what to do...

Hi all!

I'm having the same problem using asrock 775Dual-VSTA mobo with ViaRhine driver.

as soon as I start a videoconference with ichat the network connection drops. i can't even connect to my router. with tiger ist worked perfectly...

i really do hope someone comes up with a solution to this!

cheers

fleisch

i have the same issue and tried everything from chaging router, nic, using old ionetworking.kext and so on.

maybe we all have a common hardware which leads to these problems.

Mine is:

Asrock DUAL-VSTA

Intel D 805

ViaRhine NIC

Geforce 7600 GT PCIe 256MB

Switch:

U.S Robotics 8x Gigabit Switch

Router:

Us.Robotics USR8000

DSL-Modem:

Zyxel

Please, all with the network conenction drop on WIRED ethernet reply with your machine config.

Thanks,

Alex

this problem is driving me nuts...

nomatter how i try to connect to the internet (or a network) it always crashes when i start moving files or start video/audio conferecing...

onboard LAN VIA chip...doesn't work right

realtek LAN 8139 NIC...exact same thing

d-link G520 WIRELESS...exactly the same problem...

so it is not the network adaptor itself? but what the hell is it then... :thumbsdown_anim: