Samba "Connection failed"

bajoran

12 posts in this topic

Hi out there,

although i have been trying to find a solution in various forums i didn´t get back the Finder´s "normal" behaviour. Until four days ago everything worked perfectly. The Finder connected to my Windows-Shares without any problems. But suddenly i don´t get a connection. The Finder-Windows still shows the various Windows-machines, i.e. the correct names of different machines, but does not go any further.

Finder keeps telling me,

"Connection failed". (Connect As... doesn´t seem to give any reaction...)

Also using the apple-key+K shortcut does not work anymore.

"The text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format. URLs should bein with afp://, smb:// etc."

is the message that keeps popping up trying this way.

Using the terminal and the manual way to mount a share is working fine - so I´m suspecting somethings wrong within the Finder, not overall with Samba or the XP-Box.

Unfortunately I´m just a really newbie to MacOS - my Unix/Linux knowledge is marginally and so I only tried to look up for problems caused by Samba, because I really don´t have a clue where I can start a search related to the Finder.

So, in the end I´m posting this - hoping that someone maybe had similar problems and got a solution.

So long and regards

bajoran

• 4 months later...

I have the Same Problem, trying to connect to a Windows XP maschine or the Samba Server from my Ubuntu machine, i Hope we're both just to stupid to use OSX and its not a Bug in Hackintosh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have the Same Problem, trying to connect to a Windows XP maschine or the Samba Server from my Ubuntu machine, i Hope we're both just to stupid to use OSX and its not a Bug in Hackintosh

If you try to connect to another Mac/PC or Linux on your local network using leo4allv2.iso release, it won't work.

So basically, using 'Connect to Server' command of Finder will pop a windows where you can enter something similar to this:

afp:192.168.1.10/

smb:192.168.1.20/

These are valid URLs but Finder would complain that they are not.

To fix it follow these steps:

1- Open the terminal application (Under Applications->Utilities)

2- Enter:

sudo rm /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kext /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

(Taken from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...2989&st=580)

I just thought I'd share this for new users :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having the same problem with the Connection Failed.  Connect As... error.

It was working yesterday.  Now its not :(  I didn't do anything.

I tried to go to the link that Catw3azle gave by I can't find it there.

Anyone can share the actual fix?

Please.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I had the same problem and this fix worked fine for me.

sudo rm /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kext /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...