MSI P6N SLI-FI Clean install using ToH RC2 (with nVidia GeForce series VGA)

.NetRolller 3D

158 posts in this topic

Bah, does G92 and the 10.5.2 kexts even work on ToH?

I must have reinstalled OS X 20 times, because no matter what method I try for getting the GTS 512 working, it's just a kernel panic on boot.

yes , it works!

reinstall can't solve the problem.. you need find the reason casuing panic!

I'm extremely new to OSx86 Scene. I tried to install Leopard when it first came out but I don't think my mobo was supported back then, but now it seems to be supported fine and this guide seems to be the one for me.

My specs -

Mobo: 680i LT

GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb

Proc: Intel e6600 c2d

SATA DVD drive, IDE hard drive

So I just got past step 10: like everyone else I didn't notice that I had to unmount the HDD. However, once I get to step 11 where I am supposed to boot Leo with the commands "-v -legacy cpus=1" it does its thing for a while then stops. The last things I see, that I think are relevant, are the kernal panics. I'll try and summarize the useful info here, but can provide more upon request if you guys think it will help.

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

<bunch of numbers in the format 0x2f12fc28>

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0
Kernal loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
 com.apple.GeoForce(5.1.6)
   <list of dependencies... IONDRVSupport, IOPCIFamily, IOGraphicsFamily>
 com.apple.NVDAResman(5.1.6)

BSD process name corresponding to the current thread: kernal_task

Mac OS version:
9A581

Kernal Version:
Darwin Kernal Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct <date / time / etc>

If someone could tell me what to do at this point, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for running such an awesome site guys!

EDIT: Further research shows that this may help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=537103

However, I don't really understand those instructions, so if anyone could help by explaining those it would be appreciated as well.

I have the same problem as you. At first I thought it would be because of my two 8800 GT's so I took one out and it still did it. I also don't understand the instructions in that topic. All this mac stuff is like a different language to me haha

I'm extremely new to OSx86 Scene. I tried to install Leopard when it first came out but I don't think my mobo was supported back then, but now it seems to be supported fine and this guide seems to be the one for me.

My specs -

Mobo: 680i LT

GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb

Proc: Intel e6600 c2d

SATA DVD drive, IDE hard drive

So I just got past step 10: like everyone else I didn't notice that I had to unmount the HDD. However, once I get to step 11 where I am supposed to boot Leo with the commands "-v -legacy cpus=1" it does its thing for a while then stops. The last things I see, that I think are relevant, are the kernal panics. I'll try and summarize the useful info here, but can provide more upon request if you guys think it will help.

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

<bunch of numbers in the format 0x2f12fc28>

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0
Kernal loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
 com.apple.GeoForce(5.1.6)
 com.apple.NVDAResman(5.1.6)

BSD process name corresponding to the current thread: kernal_task

Mac OS version:
9A581

Kernal Version:
Darwin Kernal Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct <date / time / etc>

If someone could tell me what to do at this point, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for running such an awesome site guys!

EDIT: Further research shows that this may help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;p=537103

However, I don't really understand those instructions, so if anyone could help by explaining those it would be appreciated as well.

Did either of you delete or move the NVDAResman.kext/ out of the /System/Library/Extensions folder? I'd follow the walkthrough's steps and not delete it, just mv it to a new folder called backup.

Did either of you delete or move the NVDAResman.kext/ out of the /System/Library/Extensions folder? I'd follow the walkthrough's steps and not delete it, just mv it to a new folder called backup.

The NVDAResman.kext is still there on mine. I know this because I am trying to edit it using the fix in the link he posted. I edited the GeForce.kext fine but when I try the NVDAResman.kext is says its read only. The next thing that topic suggest is to just delete the NVDAResman.kext. Should I just try that next?

EDIT: Ok i fixed it. I did all the editing in the files that I could and then moves the NVDAResman.kext to Library because it wasn't allowing me to create the backup folder to move it to. I think that was the problem all along.

I'd move it instead. if you can't, then try to copy it by cp -R.

try to move it like this:

Open a new terminal window.

sudo -s (then give it your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

mkdir backup

mv NVDAResman.kext/ backup/ (hit tab there to get the / )

ls -l | grep NVDA

if you still see it in the results, try deleting it. I'll post mine if you need.

to do so, type:

rm -R NVDAResman.kext/

and that should let you boot.

HTH.

EDIT:

Doh, you already got it. :)

I still haven't been able to fix it... I tried editing the Info.plist files (boot into Leop using -s, then navigate the directories and use "nano") but I either did it wrong or it didnt work. Is the device ID meant to be 4 digits?

I haven't done anything else with the files besdies attempt to change the device ID. Will everything still work fine if I move them or delete them as you say? I'll be able to fix it all later once I'm in Leo, right?

You have to combine two different numbers. I think my two numbers were 0x611 and then the other was 10de, making the actual number I needed to enter 0x61110de. If I remember correctly.

I still haven't been able to fix it... I tried editing the Info.plist files (boot into Leop using -s, then navigate the directories and use "nano") but I either did it wrong or it didnt work. Is the device ID meant to be 4 digits?

I haven't done anything else with the files besdies attempt to change the device ID. Will everything still work fine if I move them or delete them as you say? I'll be able to fix it all later once I'm in Leo, right?

EDIT: I've since deleted the two kexts (on the advice of someone in #osx86) through "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce" and the same for NVDAResman, but I still get the panics!

If you're still getting the same panic, then you didn't delete the kext, apparently. I'd do exactly what I said in my post, and see. Keep us posted!

Only thing I am running into now is that my NVDAResman.kext is gone. Its not where I moved it to earlier, which was just the Library directory. Its not showing up in the normal Mac explorer and the terminal is not seeing it either. So now I have a few questions. One, do I really need that file to function properly? Like to get my video and sound to work. Two, is there something hiding the file since im now actually booted into Leo? Like how windows hides files and you have to change a settings to see it. And if it is actually gone, is there a way to recover it by the DVD or a downloadable file?

Thanks

Continue this walkthrough, it's got the golden kernel update, and that will help lots of things. for me it did dualcore, and audio

Only thing I am running into now is that my NVDAResman.kext is gone. Its not where I moved it to earlier, which was just the Library directory. Its not showing up in the normal Mac explorer and the terminal is not seeing it either. So now I have a few questions. One, do I really need that file to function properly? Like to get my video and sound to work. Two, is there something hiding the file since im now actually booted into Leo? Like how windows hides files and you have to change a settings to see it. And if it is actually gone, is there a way to recover it by the DVD or a downloadable file?Thanks
Like I said, do the golden postpatch as in this walkthrough, and then you'll have dualcore. Then get pacifist 2.5.1 (yes, that version,) and you can snag kexts off of the DVD.

Continue this walkthrough, it's got the golden kernel update, and that will help lots of things. for me it did dualcore, and audioLike I said, do the golden postpatch as in this walkthrough, and then you'll have dualcore. Then get pacifist 2.5.1 (yes, that version,) and you can snag kexts off of the DVD.

Ok, so should I skip the steps about the NVDAResman.kext for now then and just do the golden postpatch? It seems like I already did a few things ahead, like editing the GeForce.kext and such.

What does all the steps concerning the NVDAResman.kext have to do anyway? And is it really an important file? My goal after all of this is for it to be able to recognize (if possible) my q6600, atleast one of my 8800s, sound, and able to get online.

Ok, so should I skip the steps about the NVDAResman.kext for now then and just do the golden postpatch? It seems like I already did a few things ahead, like editing the GeForce.kext and such.

What does all the steps concerning the NVDAResman.kext have to do anyway? And is it really an important file? My goal after all of this is for it to be able to recognize (if possible) my q6600, atleast one of my 8800s, sound, and able to get online.

NVDAResman.kext= Nvidia Resolution Manager.

Quadcore should be enabled with golden post patch, as well as audio (with select mobos,) mine did.

8800 what? g80 or g92? g80 gtx and gts320/640 are easy afaik, the g92s a bit harder.

what mobo? that determines onboard lan, but there are a few pci cards that work great.

look at my sig for links.

NVDAResman.kext= Nvidia Resolution Manager.

Quadcore should be enabled with golden post patch, as well as audio (with select mobos,) mine did.

8800 what? g80 or g92? g80 gtx and gts320/640 are easy afaik, the g92s a bit harder.

what mobo? that determines onboard lan, but there are a few pci cards that work great.

look at my sig for links.

g92 I have 2 GT's. I have the P6N SLI-FI, which really doesn't differ from the platinum if I remember correctly.

I'm hoping someone can help me.. I'm brand new to the OSX86 scene, but I've been trying to follow the tutorials and keep getting stuck.

I've got:

XFX 680i LT SLI Mobo

Q6600 Quad 2.4 CPU

XFX 8800GT 512mb

4 gigs Corsair Ram in 2 sticks

SATA DVD Drive

Installing on an IDE HD

SATA HD's unplugged

I've done the recommended BIOS settings, etc. I get through step 10. Every time I boot (with -v -legacy cpus=1 or any other options I can find), I get a kernel panic. It mentions GeForce, but all the parts that talk about patching for the GPU involve successfully booting into OSX. I found my mistake about the drive mounting and unmounting in the bootfix, and redid that part. Do I need to start from scratch? Is it unusual that the install of OSX took about 7 hours? I'm gonna try the whole process again while awaiting a reply... Can anyone offer me any help as to why this is happening? Can I patch the GPU section in the Terminal while booting from the DVD?

One other thing... in the bootfix, when I go to unmount/mount the Leopard volume, I get errors about UUID. I have to use "diskutil unmount force /Volumes/Leopard" to make it unmount. Disk Utility cannot unmount the volume. It can re-mount it after step 3 of the bootfix though.. Hopefully this is a clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

I'm hoping someone can help me.. I'm brand new to the OSX86 scene, but I've been trying to follow the tutorials and keep getting stuck.

I've got:

XFX 680i LT SLI Mobo

Q6600 Quad 2.4 CPU

XFX 8800GT 512mb

4 gigs Corsair Ram in 2 sticks

SATA DVD Drive

Installing on an IDE HD

SATA HD's unplugged

I've done the recommended BIOS settings, etc. I get through step 10. Every time I boot (with -v -legacy cpus=1 or any other options I can find), I get a kernel panic. It mentions GeForce, but all the parts that talk about patching for the GPU involve successfully booting into OSX. I found my mistake about the drive mounting and unmounting in the bootfix, and redid that part. Do I need to start from scratch? Is it unusual that the install of OSX took about 7 hours? I'm gonna try the whole process again while awaiting a reply... Can anyone offer me any help as to why this is happening? Can I patch the GPU section in the Terminal while booting from the DVD?

One other thing... in the bootfix, when I go to unmount/mount the Leopard volume, I get errors about UUID. I have to use "diskutil unmount force /Volumes/Leopard" to make it unmount. Disk Utility cannot unmount the volume. It can re-mount it after step 3 of the bootfix though.. Hopefully this is a clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

The ones that look like they need OS X running to complete, you can do almost all of from the DVD. Boot back into it, then open the utilities menu, and then pick terminal. To remove the NVDAResman.kext, just read the last page or two. The path to it will be /Volumes/whateveryounamedyourleoparddrive/System/Library/Extensions. Follow the posted instructions and it'll work. Then do the Golden postpatch, and read the output. make sure NOTHING fails. then you won't need the -v -legacy cpus=1 anymore.

Thanks for the quick reply.. That's good info to know. Here's my current problem-

I can't boot back in to the DVD. With or w/o DVD present in drive it's just loading to my Leopard volume and panic'ing. When I boot from the ToH DVD, the only startup option available is my Leo install drive, not the DVD anymore (like it used to have..)

Any ideas?

The ones that look like they need OS X running to complete, you can do almost all of from the DVD. Boot back into it, then open the utilities menu, and then pick terminal. To remove the NVDAResman.kext, just read the last page or two. The path to it will be /Volumes/whateveryounamedyourleoparddrive/System/Library/Extensions. Follow the posted instructions and it'll work. Then do the Golden postpatch, and read the output. make sure NOTHING fails. then you won't need the -v -legacy cpus=1 anymore.

I hit F8. I get the options screen. The only available thing to boot is the HD, not the DVD. Booting the HD gives panic.. Is there something I can type to boot the DVD?

"rd=disk1s3" without quotes is all I can think of, if not disk1s3, then try disk3s3. I hope that helps.

Don't forget the flags.

"rd=disk1s3" without quotes is all I can think of, if not disk1s3, then try disk3s3. I hope that helps.Don't forget the flags.
Maybe I was mistaken on that last post...It seems F8 doesn't work with the DVD in the drive. I can't get to the options screen...
you probably set the hard disk to boot first in the BIOS. Hit DEL or whatever to get to the BIOS and in the "BOOT" menu set the CDROM to boot BEFORE Hard disk...
No that's not it. I'm getting the bootloader from the DVD (I can tell because is says NVidia Vesa 3.0 at the top of the screen. The Darwin bootloader on the HD doesn't show that bit...It's just that I can't access the F8 screen from the DVD bootloader. I can from the HD bootloader, but then can't get it to boot the DVD. If I boot the DVD, it actually gives a different version of the panic (on a grey screen, probably due to the lack of flags...)And since I'm halfway through the install process, it has worked many other times... I've done a lot in the Terminal from the DVD already...Any other ideas?

you probably set the hard disk to boot first in the BIOS. Hit DEL or whatever to get to the BIOS and in the "BOOT" menu set the CDROM to boot BEFORE Hard disk...
Or the hard drive was empty and since the satas were unplugged, it passed to the next boot option, the dvd drive.yeah, set the dvd as first boot.
Maybe I was mistaken on that last post...It seems F8 doesn't work with the DVD in the drive. I can't get to the options screen...No that's not it. I'm getting the bootloader from the DVD (I can tell because is says NVidia Vesa 3.0 at the top of the screen. The Darwin bootloader on the HD doesn't show that bit...It's just that I can't access the F8 screen from the DVD bootloader. I can from the HD bootloader, but then can't get it to boot the DVD. If I boot the DVD, it actually gives a different version of the panic (on a grey screen, probably due to the lack of flags...)And since I'm halfway through the install process, it has worked many other times... I've done a lot in the Terminal from the DVD already...Any other ideas?
try booting a different dvd/cd first, then reboot with the ToH RC2 in the drive. It seems to be ignoring your dvd for some reason.

Then try booting the hard drive with -s and edit the files that way.

Think I just got one step further.. For some reason the DVD "press F8.." menu just came back! I think I was pressing it too soon.. my bad..Will report back in a few..It's booting from the DVD (setup style) right now..Once I get to Terminal, how should I remove the offending file.. (I know you said to look at the last couple of pages, but I'm having trouble finding what you're referring to..)If you could link to it, I'd really appreciate it.btw- Thank you so much for being so helpful... This wouldn't be possible without ppl like this.