MSI P6N SLI-FI Clean install using ToH RC2 (with nVidia GeForce series VGA)

.NetRolller 3D

158 posts in this topic

Yeh I got the same problem, I think efi would help

you should use the newest pacifist to install the update,

should boot up without a problem..

plus, efi is not supported for 680i chipset....

*well , i hope for this happen in dream*

Hey!

Have anyone Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI board?

Ok...

I use your gudige but i don't did a bootfix because i update 10.4.9 to 10.5.0 (i think bootfix is bot neccesary for me)

OK. I have problem with the 22 and 23 .

Marvin's AMD Utility said some error and didn't create the cpuid.txt file on the Folder on desktop... In the folder was log file and 1 other file witch wasn't cpuid.txt

Ohh and the 32 and 33.

When i open the 10.5.1 update with Pacifist 2.5.1 i don't know where i can do this:

Select and install everything except what I have listed below:

CODE/mach_kernel

/System/Library/Extensions/

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleVIA.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

IOHDIXController.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NVDANV10HAL.kext

NVDANV20HAL.kext

NVDANV30HAL.kext

NVDANV40HAL.kext

NVDANV50HAL.kext

NVDAResman.kext

GeForce.kext

It installed some files and my Mac crashed.

What i have to do in next time?

Oko

*ABIT S775 NF650I SLI

*MSI GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 256MB OVERCLOCKED

*Intel Q6600 CORE2 QUAD 2.4GHZ S775

*RAM KINGMAX 2048 mb DDR2 - 800 MHz running @ 667; CORSAIR 1024 mb 667 MHz CL5 (total 3GB of RAM running @ 667 MHz)

*HDD

1. 200 GB IDE

2. 350 GB SATA

3. 400 GB SATA

4. 80 GB IDE

* Floppy 1.4 MB 3½'' (i realy need it :) )

* USB 2.0

* LAN nForce Networking Controller

* Fire Wire 400 on PCI slot

Hey!

Have anyone Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI board?

Ok...

I use your gudige but i don't did a bootfix because i update 10.4.9 to 10.5.0 (i think bootfix is bot neccesary for me)

OK. I have problem with the 22 and 23 .

Marvin's AMD Utility said some error and didn't create the cpuid.txt file on the Folder on desktop... In the folder was log file and 1 other file witch wasn't cpuid.txt

Ohh and the 32 and 33.

When i open the 10.5.1 update with Pacifist 2.5.1 i don't know where i can do this:

Select and install everything except what I have listed below:

CODE/mach_kernel

/System/Library/Extensions/

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleVIA.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

IOHDIXController.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NVDANV10HAL.kext

NVDANV20HAL.kext

NVDANV30HAL.kext

NVDANV40HAL.kext

NVDANV50HAL.kext

NVDAResman.kext

GeForce.kext

It installed some files and my Mac crashed.

What i have to do in next time?

Oko

*ABIT S775 NF650I SLI

*RAM KINGMAX 2048 mb DDR2 - 800 MHz running @ 667; CORSAIR 1024 mb 667 MHz CL5 (total 3GB of RAM running @ 667 MHz)

*HDD

1. 200 GB IDE

2. 350 GB SATA

3. 400 GB SATA

4. 80 GB IDE

* Floppy 1.4 MB 3½'' (i realy need it :) )

* USB 2.0

hey , my mac also hanged upon my second attempts ...

are your system stable at all? or hang all the time? (not kernel panic)

all fixed*

Oh! My ethernet controller does not work in Mac and then i must use WinVista (it sucks).

And how did you use Pacifist 2.5.1?

It installs the packgage and just ask to overwrite some file (about 50)...

As long as i am using my mac it is stable! (cheers)

I will try today get golden kernel to work and i will think something about ethernet driver...

And where i can see my ethernet drivers device ID?

Thenks!

Oko

*ABIT S775 NF650I SLI

*HDD

1. 200 GB IDE

2. 350 GB SATA

3. 400 GB SATA

4. 80 GB IDE

* Floppy 1.4 MB 3½'' (i realy need it :( )

* USB 2.0

OK I have leopard running on SATA on my P6N SLI-Platinum. Here's the contents of my /System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceata.kext/Contents/Info.plist file. I have removed all other devids but mine, and it boots fine from the sata drive, even with the previous weirdness when trying to bless the drive. I used carbon copy cloner to clone one my pata leopard drive to the sata leopard drive, running in tiger on pata. I did a block-level transfer.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AppleNForceATA</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>1.0.3, Copyright Domenico 'MeDevil' Colella. 2007</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Apple NVIDIA nForce Driver</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.0.3</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.3</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>NForce ATA Driver</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleNForceATA</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>AppleNForceATAChannel</string>
	</dict>
	<key>NForce PATA Controller</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hardware Name</key>
		<string>NForce PATA</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleNForceATARoot</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x026510de</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Serial ATA</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>NForce SATA Controller</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hardware Name</key>
		<string>NForce SATA</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleNForceATARoot</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x026610de 0x026710de</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<string>1000</string>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Serial ATA</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily</key>
	<string>1.5.0d1</string>
	<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
	<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>
	<string>1.1</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I hope this helps somebody.

EDIT:

This is the only partition on the drive. I'm currently booting to it just by setting this drive as the first boot device in the bios, with none of my pata drives attached. It just works, even though blessing it gave a weird error. I'm confident that grub will boot to it, as chainloading just loads the targeted drive's bootloader, right?

@doradekell

i skipped that step, because my sound chip just worked out of box.

my sound chip is 889A.

@stupidicus

do you mean you can bless the sata drive or not?

i will try your methods later,

but considering that i have different drives in my sys..

that takes time.

but thanks.

I mean that I tried to bless my sata drive that I had carbon copy cloned to from the pata drive, and the blessing fails with the same error you posted previsouly. But it just works (boots into leopard just fine) when I remove the other (pata) drives and select it as first in bios boot order. Do you have the same motherboard as me? the one this post is about? I have the platinum, but it should be exactly the same. I need no bootloader, OSX just boots on that drive. I have booted the pata leopard disk from grub, and it's fine too.

I hope this helps.

The exact commands escape me at the moment, but try booting to the hard drive from the dvd bootloader by hitting f8, and I think it's like "rd=disk0s1" or something. But I'm sure it's all over the forum.
thanks!

That did the trick. Is there a way that I cn avoid having to put that in every time, like, just booting straight from the drive with no DVD involved?

First, sweet! I'm glad I could help.

Second, yes.

Third, it's called a bootfix. It should be in this walkthrough. Hmm, seems that step is before step 10, so you may not have done it correctly, read EACH word and EACH instruction carefully, and do it word for word. I messed mine up the first time, but after carefully following the guide, it works. It may be the unmounts and remounts that was the issue, just read carefully.

First, sweet! I'm glad I could help.

Second, yes.

Third, it's called a bootfix. It should be in this walkthrough. Hmm, seems that step is before step 10, so you may not have done it correctly, read EACH word and EACH instruction carefully, and do it word for word. I messed mine up the first time, but after carefully following the guide, it works. It may be the unmounts and remounts that was the issue, just read carefully.

Unmounts might be the problem, yeah.

I was just inputting whatever was in the code boxes into Terminal. Will those do the unmounting or do I need to go into Disk Utility?

he says to unmount outside of/before the code box... now I'm 99.999% certain you just need to redo the bootfix actually reading the intros to the codeboxes. If I wrote the walkthrough I'd state the unmount as a step in and of itself to make it completely clear, but if you read the intros before the walkthrough you'll be fine. Like I said, I made the same mistake the first time myself, and found my errors when I read the steps. ;) Keep us posted.

So which version of the usb driver http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559 should we be using in leopard on this board? I'm running ToH 10.5.0 upgraded to 10.5.1, golden patch. Or maybe the better question to ask is how do I determine which kernel revision I'm running?

EDIT

Nevermind... had I actually read the post, I would have seen the clearly separate files, prefaced by the labels LEOPARD and TIGER.

he says to unmount outside of/before the code box... now I'm 99.999% certain you just need to redo the bootfix actually reading the intros to the codeboxes. If I wrote the walkthrough I'd state the unmount as a step in and of itself to make it completely clear, but if you read the intros before the walkthrough you'll be fine. Like I said, I made the same mistake the first time myself, and found my errors when I read the steps. :D Keep us posted.
Well, it boots with no DVD now .. but to a kernal panic. :wacko:

ok, then do this:

hit f8 when the drive is about to be/is getting booted, and it'll give you a similar menu to the dvd's one, and boot with these parameters: "-v -legacy cpus=1" and it should boot with one core, in 32bit mode.

Ok, not to be rude, and I really do mean this in the most sincere way: Are you even reading the walkthrough, or are you just posting back here because it's not already working even though you still have 2/3 of the walkthrough unfinished?

Just be patient and follow the walkthrough and you'll be ok. :wacko:

ok, then do this:

hit f8 when the drive is about to be/is getting booted, and it'll give you a similar menu to the dvd's one, and boot with these parameters: "-v -legacy cpus=1" and it should boot with one core, in 32bit mode.

Ok, not to be rude, and I really do mean this in the most sincere way: Are you even reading the walkthrough, or are you just posting back here because it's not already working even though you still have 2/3 of the walkthrough unfinished?

Just be patient and follow the walkthrough and you'll be ok. ;)

Oh believe me, I'm reading every bit of it.

I just seem to be stuck since my video card (8800 GTS 512MB) requires 10.5.1, and installing 10.5.1 comes much later in the guide. Which in turn means that I can't really progress past step 14 because I don't know how much of the guide will rely on QE/CI being enabled.

Is having QE/CI entirely necessary early in the guide? Or can I skip it, get all the Cores running, update and come back to step 14 later?

When I get my desktop back (moving from Hawaii sucks) I'll try this. I haven't really been active in the OSX86 community for a while. Sorry. :wallbash: Now that I can get my 680i and GeForce 8800 to work, all is well. :P

Tell you my results ASAP. Thank you for post this guide. Very helpful. ^.^

Great guide, but I (as a complete n00b in the OSx86 screne) found it difficult to do the bootfix, until i realized that i should use Disk Manager to mount/unmount the drive when the unmount command was "unknown".

I also have a Radeon graphics card and thus skipped steps 14 to 28, but all except ethernet works now.

PS. Anyone has tips on guides for creating drivers? :hysterical: Google didn't bring me any good results... :hysterical:

anyone have any issues with the dvd loading? the hd loads for maybe 2-3 minutes then goes to a please reboot the system screen?(grey apple background) when doing -v -x -legacy cpus=1 it gets to the point where it says it is loading the logon window and then hangs. cant type anything on the keyboard. must force reboot.. thanks a lot guys.. using a 650i sli , im hoping it is just the dvd-rw. to anxious to wait for work tomorrow to get a dvd-r =]!ps - anyone else have issues with teh search function. brings up the same shiet no matter what i search for. =(I think i might have the wrong version of ToH. Re downloading will let you guys know. thanks for the help again!