Orange HD icons after Leopard install...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

bigcletus

bigcletus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix for this? It looks really retarded.

nagal

nagal

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
Yes, it is because the drives are seen as external. I just changed the icon to something else for the time being.

Cohen The Barbarian

Cohen The Barbarian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Mine does the same thing on the boot drive, which is a SATA drive in AHCI mode. The Jmicron controller on my motherboard is in IDE mode and the HD attached to it looks like a normal internal drive.

Unfortunately, my Leopard install will not boot with the drive on the Jmicron ports...only the ICH8R ports in AHCI mode. If I change them to normal IDE mode, no boot. So it looks like I'm stuck with AHCI mode until a solution is found.

BJMoose

BJMoose

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 1,154 posts
Here's a fix that worked for me. I found it posted in another thread...I think by MacManiac. This corrected my problem but YMMV.

To correct hard drive icons incorrectly displayed as external drive icons:

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

bigcletus

bigcletus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
that worked perfectly! Thanks!

Alwayon

Alwayon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the excellent tips.

For me, I am using the AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext from Brazil Mac Leopard and it works perfectly.

xristoforos

xristoforos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Here's a fix that worked for me. I found it posted in another thread...I think by MacManiac. This corrected my problem but YMMV.

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

reboot

Thanx a lot for this tip!!

I did it in my asus p5k-e and it worked!

audio01

audio01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Changing the icons is not a good fix, because all external removable drives will look just like internal drives.

rsilves

rsilves

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Any way to Undo these commands?
Disk Utility still says that the disk is external... Not nice.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

tomauty

tomauty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
You could always look up patches for your intel chipsets that allow for IDE mode. For instance I have ICH8 and I applied a patch that let me boot into leopard with IDE mode as opposed to AHCI, with either Jmicron or Intel. I have 2 drives in each, so I know they work fine.

vaporATX

vaporATX

InsanelyMac Blowhard

• Donators
  • 898 posts
The reason there is no "fix" for this issue in AHCI mode is there is nothing to fix. If it was a real issue and not just an easily fixed cosmetic one you'd see a fix.

tomauty

tomauty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
I understand, but I'm saying if they apply patches to their chipsets that let them boot in IDE mode, the drives will be recognized as internal.

rsilves

rsilves

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Would that kext allow me to use my mobo's IDE connector for a drive?
I can use my IDE CD-RW, but I need to use an IDE to USB to connect an old HD.

How do I undo the script of the icons? I applied it and now I want to go back.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

walterino

walterino

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 953 posts

Open up Terminal

sudo -s

<password> enter

reboot

thank you very much ciao :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy