Upgrading A G4 PowerMac?

Special-K

21 posts in this topic

So I just bought a G4 from the pawnshop and I was wondering, is it upgradable? Like can I shove in a G5 processor or up the RAM? Possibly the GFX card (I do video editing)? I'm naturally assuming that I can up the HDD too.

You can't drop in a G5 but you can drop in a faster G4, up to 1.8ghz or so. You can also upgrade graphics, memory, and yes the hard drive. You might even have some expansion slots available.

G4 upgrades aren't cheap though, I hope you got a really good deal on that powermac or the upgrade won't be worthwhile given how cheap and powerful current macs are.

I paid $300 for it. And can I get any hard drive? Cause I looked up hard drives on MacSales and there's wasn't much of a choice. I don't know what the model name is, but it's number M5183. I think it's the Sawtooth one cause of the Airport card slot.

The CPU is 400MHz. Thanks for the article Sky. And I looked up the upgrades for it and found that 1) They are really pricey and 2) The airport card for it has been discontinued and is incredibly hard to find. I think I might just give it to someone as a Christmas present or sell it to one of my buddies. That way I'll have some cash for a MBP. Thanks for the help guys.

Pawnshop. That's all I need to say. Seemed smart at the time cause I needed a Mac. Only to later find out that everyone I know is chipping in to get me a decked-out MBP for graduation. I'm just hoping that the MBP gets some sort of upgrade at MacWorld. And I'm not a fan of the Minis. I never really liked them all that much. That and I'm a fan of integrated graphics.

Oh, I've got a question about Time Machine as well even though this is completely off the original topic. I know you need to use another hard drive for it so I'm wondering, could I use 1 hard drive for Time Machine and storing things like say, all my videos and music? or would I need to make the drive Time Machine only.

(for future reference)

You can have one Partition for time machine and another for your movies, music etc on an external drive, yes. Just format it to HFS+.

I think the Macbook Pro is pretty awesome. Everything is top of the range, and the graphics are great too. What's to complain about? But they will probably be upgraded to Penryn/45nm as soon as possible, seeing as they are an Apple flagship product, which is a nice little boost.