"Still waiting for root Device"

viper_55

48 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm kind of a newbie and tried the Tutorial "http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Install_On_A_Partition_Simple_And_Accurate"

which I fopund on the osx86project wiki.

Everything went fine, until I tried the first Boot. If I boot with the -v flag The system halts and repeatedly shows the message "still waiting for root device".

I tried:

-rejumpering my harddisk/DVD-drives in all combinations

-set the Mac partition (in my case partition 3) as active in diskpart

-tried some startup options in the bootmanger

so a couple of solutions which I found in this forum, but none of them worked.

I think I'm making a very unspectacular mistake (maybe I misunderstood the whole concept of the Tutorial), but anyway I can't find a solution.

Thanks for any replies

Viper_55

Edited by viper_55

I had the same problem with:

1 S-ATA HD

1-DVD-ROM drive.

I worked out the solution by:

1) Setting my DVD-ROM jumper to Master and connecting to IDE-0 channel (Blue connector)

It didn't work with DVD-ROM with MASTER on IDE-1 channel.

2) S-SATA on first S-ATA channel.

Hope this helps.

well I have got a IDE HD and a IDE-DVD Rom.

I just cant find the point in the tutorial where I need to have a DVD in my drive.

Or is it just a basic requirement that there is a DVD drive and a S-ATA HD?

THX

Viper_55

Hi Thanks for your replies,

I tried:

- another DVD unit

- jumpering the HD and DVD as master and connecting the HD to IDO-0 and DVD to IDE-1 (and the other way round)

but still i wont boot and shows the message "still waiting for root device"

Viper_55

Let me guess you probably have a board witth the ATI Southbridge. ATI xpress 200 chipset. I don't want to sound negative but you can give up if thats the case. No one on here has been able to make osx work with the ATI chipsets, Not even genious' on here. I guess it's just to hard to get it to work.

Peace out,

HooKed

Let me guess you probably have a board witth the ATI Southbridge. ATI xpress 200 chipset. I don't want to sound negative but you can give up if thats the case. No one on here has been able to make osx work with the ATI chipsets, Not even genious' on here. I guess it's just to hard to get it to work.

Peace out,

HooKed

I've got it running on a ATI xpress 200 Toshiba laptop in native mode but booting from an external USB drive. The ATA might be the main problem here.

I had i similar problem just today. My mobo has only one IDE channel, and I installed from a Combo hooked as a Slave drive. The I finally bought myself a DVD-RV and plugged it in. The system refused booting. I reinstaled - didn't help. What solved the problem was making the HD and DVD both "Cable Select" and hanging them so that the HD became master and the DVD slave. The DVD is a Pioneer 109D.

Hi there,

I tried the to jumper my HD and DVD as cable select and hanged them as you told me. in either combinations:

- HD and DVD on IDE1

- HD and DVD on IDE0

- HD on IDE0, DVD on IDE1

- HD on IDE1, DVD on IDE0

but still i'm getting the "still waiting for root device" message.

maybe there is some important point missing in the tutorial?

I did everything as told in the tutorial (link posted before).

Thanks for any help...

Viper_55

I had i similar problem just today. My mobo has only one IDE channel, and I installed from a Combo hooked as a Slave drive. The I finally bought myself a DVD-RV and plugged it in. The system refused booting. I reinstaled - didn't help. What solved the problem was making the HD and DVD both "Cable Select" and hanging them so that the HD became master and the DVD slave. The DVD is a Pioneer 109D.

usb dvd or usb hd?

It was a IDE HD that I pulled of from my previous installation when I bought a S-ATA drive. I put the HD in a USB enclosure and booted my laptop from it and it worked. Whitin OSX86, I do not see my internal laptop drive which tells me that the ATI x200 ATA implementation is incompatible.

I tried booting off an external USB DVD containing the OSX86 installation but my laptop refuses to see it for some reason.

I finally found a solution to boot.

the following configuration worked:

- DVD as master on IDE0

- HD as slave on IDE0

As soon as I changed the DVD to IDE1 I got the "still waiting for root device" message again.

Hope that helps

Viper_55

First I tried to "dd" the image, which worked fine after a while, but after I read an article about a fine working install DVD I followed the tutorial http://www.profit42.com/guides.php?id=1 which worked perfectly.

I've got an Thinkpad T41p (don't know the MoBo, sorry)

I patched mine with JAS. Didn't try to install the image alone.

Did you "dd" the image? Or installed thru VMWARE?

What's your notebook MoBo?

• 4 weeks later...

I've a same problem in boot: -V "Failed to load nv30hal.... Still waiting for root device..." My HD MASTER(IDE1 PRIMARY), and DVD MASTER(IDE1 SECUNDARY). My motherboard is a ASUS P4S800-DX(Shipset SIS655FX). How i make to resolve this problem? Thanks!

My config:

Motherboard ASUS P4S800-DX (SIS655FX)

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHZ Prescot (SSE2,SSE3...)

2X 512MB DDR

SATA 120 GB Seagate

DVD LG GSA-4163B

NVIDIA Geforce 256MB FX 5200 128 Bits

my guess is that the OS X has no support for your SATA chipset, and can't see your hard drive??

I insert my Mac OS X 10.4.3 and "F8":

----------------------------------------

Darwin/X86 Boot V5.0.128

1023MB Memory

Vesa V3.0 256MB (NVIDIA)

Use II keys to select the startup volume.

HD (111,0) Mac OS X INSTALL

-----------------------------------------

OK, in boot I type "-V" and a get "yellow error lines":

Kld_Load_From_Memory()Failed for module com.apple.NVDAResman

Failed to load extension com.apple.nvidia.nv30hal. (yellow line)

display: family specific matching fails (yellow line)

couldn't alloc class "NVDANV30HAL" (yellow line)

Still waiting for root device...

I think that problem is my NVIDIA video card, i change my video card for a ATI card?

Thanks for any reply!

Intel P4 3.0 Prescott HT (x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3) / Asus P4S800-DX(Shipset SIS655FX)

/ Memory 2x 512DDR / IDE SATA 120GB Seagate / NVIDIA 256MB Geforce FX 5200 / DVD LG

GSA-4163B/ SIS 900 Fast Ethernet / Fax Modem LG LM-I56N / SIS 7012 Audio Device /

Microsoft Windows XP PRO(SP2)

• 1 month later...