PS2 Driver for stock ACPI for Leopard! with EFI boot Laptop users rejoice!

jharleman

41 posts in this topic

EDIT and UPDATE

Laptop users, rejoice! As many of you know with Leopard we got a new ACPIPlatform.kext and despite netkas' and team's advancement with PC EFI, we lost our PS2 controllers (and thus our keyboards and touchpads/trackpads)! This also effected anybody trying to virtualize leopard. So, as netkas pointed out on his blog there is now a nub that let's us use the generic ACPI! This requires Leopard and the generic or toh kernel as well as the ApplePS2Controller.kext from 10.4.x!

Here is the magician's work: http://tgwbd.org/darwin/extensions.html

I am very, very thankful. For those of you without compile tools here is the compiled nub. Do not download it without agreeing to licensing terms off the above link and as usual, loading osx on a pc is illeagal unless you are an apple developer... cheers ;)

UPDATE: As MacGirl points out the OSBundleLibraries in the Info.plist need to match the current version of your kext. MacNub recompiled it for 10.5.2 here.

Note: as MacGirl points out you lose your battery meter with the stock acpi. To install this you must be running PC EFI and leopard and have the stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext handy as well as ApplePS2Controller.kext. If you already have a running leopard install, but don't know how to install kexts, this isn't for you. As netkas says, "PC EFI is not for noobs" and this is on top of it. If you have PC EFI going and want to use it, simply backup your current /System/Library/Extenions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext to a safe location and replace with the original from Leopard and add this nub (this assumes you already have the ApplePS2Controller.kext) to your etensions folder. Repair permissions and off you go.

ACPIPS2Nub.kext_1052.zip

Beautiful!I was just furiously trying to hunt down my xCode disc so I could compile this myself. Testing now... Will return with results.

Edit: Well, there's good news and bad news.The good news is that it works. The bad news is that it causes a panic upon startup unless I force a rebuilt of the kextcache. The stock ACPIPlatform also kills my battery meter, which is a huge pain.Sooo, good step, but not perfect. :D

Crashed on startup, toh kernel w/ pc efi v51, can't even boot into single user mode, stuck at 'starting ACPIPS2Nub'. How can I fix it? I don't feel like to reinstall it all over again. It's pain in the ass.

By the way, I don't see any PS2Controller.kext. I guess you mean ApplePS2Controller.kext?

-----

OK, got rid of it from the terminal of installer.

Crashed on startup, toh kernel w/ pc efi v51, can't even boot into single user mode, stuck at 'starting ACPIPS2Nub'. How can I fix it? I don't feel like to reinstall it all over again. It's pain in the ass.

By the way, I don't see any PS2Controller.kext. I guess you mean ApplePS2Controller.kext?

-----

OK, got rid of it from the terminal of installer.

Sorry to hear it crashed. May require the vanilla kernel. Haven't played around with it, yes the ApplePS2Controller.kext from 10.4. cheers - jl

how can i use this kext?

yep, this probably needs a guide will all the requirements and assumptions that are made to get this to work :)

thanks jharleman, assume this requires the stock kernel as well (sort of makes sense when saying efi is required). Somebody like me who has changed away from stock kernel to get speedstep for example and uses the non stock kernel will run into problems of course :), just like me. good to know this is going closer to be solved. I will wait a little longer to see if the battery meter gets solved.

thanks again

yep, this probably needs a guide will all the requirements and assumptions that are made to get this to work :D

Edited above, but you must have PC EFI and if you do then you know how to repair permissions. If you don't, it highly recommended as it gets you close to a stock apple as possible.

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...dc12ca9eb07e536

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...70331&st=60

cheers - jl

When you rebuild the kext cache you get the following warning:

warning: kernel extension /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPIPS2Nub.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

Anyone have a solution for this? Obviously something is missing in the plist that it needs.

Proper location for this in the PlugIn directory for AppleACPIPlatform. Not in the top level of the extensions directory.

I don't think so, I put directly on the Extensions directory and had no problems.

Remember to use vanilla AppleACPIPlatform not the hacked/modified one.

Even when you boot with -s option it appears as one of first kexts loaded.

I don't think so, I put directly on the Extensions directory and had no problems.

Remember to use vanilla AppleACPIPlatform not the hacked/modified one.

Even when you boot with -s option it appears as one of first kexts loaded.

strange, that did not work for me. when I put the file into the plugin it works. I guess I better stay away from this until all is cleared. Yes, I used the stock kext.

When you rebuild the kext cache you get the following warning:

warning: kernel extension /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPIPS2Nub.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

Anyone have a solution for this? Obviously something is missing in the plist that it needs.

I am on the iPhone so I can't look right this sec, but if you look at info.plist you will see. You are prabably missing some stock kexts. Cheers jl

Solved the problem.

ACPIPS2Nub has this reference:

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

My AppleACPIPlatform:

CFBundleGetInfoString
1.0.5, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003-2006

So older versions of AppleACPIPlatform won't have a high enough version to match the check in APCIPS2Nub. Just changing the value in the Nub fixes it though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, can someon tell me something:

How do i see, that it's working? I installed all three kexts... so how do I find out, if it worked?

I have a HP 6710b and battery lifetime atm is not quite good ;-)

leo installed, speedstep kernel 9.1 with EFI v8.

No battery icon (never installed one yet) and I can't change brightness.

Greetings

KlyX

Hmm, can someon tell me something:

How do i see, that it's working? I installed all three kexts... so how do I find out, if it worked?

Greetings

KlyX

PS2Nub is supposed to use with Vanilla kernel and vanilla AppleACPI not with Hacked Kernel.

How do you know it's working, easy, PS2 keyboard and/or Mouse works.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally get this working on DESKTOP

the trick is, u need to plug a PS2 mouse and PS2 KB at same time to get the KB working(the same old trick back to 2005 when OSX first met x86)

for laptop this isn't a problem since it has trackpoint/touchpad connected as PS2 mouse, but on desktop, i always think i've done sth. wrong because everyone else says it works...

I'm glad my current MB still has PS/2 mouse port, seems lots of newer MBs remove it and has PS2 KB port only.

One thing I stick with PS/2 KB because it has same layout as standard apple kbs, ie. win=opt, alt=cmd, and on USB kbs, the 2 keys are reversed.

• 1 month later...