211 replies to this topic

Morpheus Phreak

Morpheus Phreak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Bios update from apple update ?

Nope, it was an update from ATi for the 3850 & 3870 cards.It was basically to fix the fan issues so that the fan would spin up at a lower temperature and at a faster rate at higher temps to keep the cards from going into the 95*C range.The device ID and everything is the same, but for some reason it doesn't like the packages I've seen here on the site.I was using a package posted by eddie11c to go along with his Leo4All distribution and it worked right up until that BIOS update.Now the OS won't boot. I tried a re-install and sure enough the OS works right until I load up the drivers and then it stops booting again.

as i say before the speed fun is controlled by the bios of the video card. So, if the GPU increase the temperature the fun increase the speed. in bios 073 the fun is slower but the temperature culd arrive at 85Cin bios 071 the fun is faster and the temperature culd arrive at 60C but have more noise

What BIOS and what maker are you referring to?The ATi BIOS that I know of are v103 for the 3850 and v104 for the 3870.Those are the "fixed" BIOS that actually operate the fan correctly.The problem that was happening was that the fan typically wouldn't go much over 25% and it was causing cards to really screw up.

Bananabomb

Bananabomb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
My 3870 idles at 49 Celsius in XP and is totally quiet. In OSX however the fan spins up and down quite fast and I don't know if it's due to heat or the fan control of the driver. Does anyone know why this is happening and if we can expect it to behave normally with the next update?
I haven't booted OSX for a week, because I'm afraid that it burns too much power and the annoying noise from the fan.

Art Storms

Art Storms

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi all. nobody knows if there are solution for 3850 agp??? can found only for 3850 pcie. thanx

downlord

downlord

InsanelyMac Greek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Applied 10.5.3 update (kalyway package on a leo4all v3. install) with 9.3 vanilla kernel and my (former perfect working) hd3850 pcie has the white menus problem again.

So… be careful. I'll go back to 10.5.2. :mellow:

EDIT one hour later...: Working with lastExile package on http://forum.insanel...o...107526&st=0 and installed with Pacifist.
Now perfect 10.5.3 update

Scorpion1983

Scorpion1983

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Applied 10.5.3 update (kalyway package on a leo4all v3. install) with 9.3 vanilla kernel and my (former perfect working) hd3850 pcie has the white menus problem again.

So… be careful. I'll go back to 10.5.2. :)

EDIT one hour later...: Working with lastExile package on http://forum.insanel...o...107526&st=0 and installed with Pacifist.
Now perfect 10.5.3 update

I have the same white menus problem. How did you solved it and which of the 2 packages is the right one ?

plympton

plympton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

I have the same white menus problem. How did you solved it and which of the 2 packages is the right one ?

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing it's the 2nd, and that installing with Pacifist is the key - I wager that the installer won't write over the "newer" broken files, but Pacifist can be made to force install it.

I'll try tonight myself...

-Dan

Scorpion1983

Scorpion1983

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing it's the 2nd, and that installing with Pacifist is the key - I wager that the installer won't write over the "newer" broken files, but Pacifist can be made to force install it.

I'll try tonight myself...

-Dan

Ok, i will try it too.

I hope it will work. :-)

Edit: I tried it with Pacifist. And it works :-) YEEES

capeli

capeli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It worked flawlessly using Pacifist!!!! on my Diamond HD3850 on Kalyway 10.5.2 ( upgraded to 10.5.3 using netkas guide ).
Running Smooth....

Thanks lastExile, and Netkas!!!!!

zuz_242

zuz_242

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
unfortunatly, im still out of luck with my new 3870.
its an sapphire ultimate with passive cooling, normal id (0x95011002)

i tried various solutions so far:

i installed latest zep and leo4all release (being amd user), with and
without ati drivers choosen. the average results are a garbled screen
or a black screen with reboot. booting with -x got me (sometimes) into
osx with vesa graphics and a alert saying natit.kext was not installed
properly.

from here on i installed various driver, eddies and last exiles, or just a new
natit from netkas site. nothing worked, mostly blackscreen with reboot.
(i only used pacifist)

so i wonder what to do? device id is inside ati..2000.kext but not in natit.
should i add it there as well?

while having a garbled screen it seems that osx is running (intro video playing),
just video output screwed. im using dualscreen dvi, shouldnt be a problem, right?

as i am at my wits end i need desperate help!! :)

thanks

(my 8600gt ran like a charm..)

lastExile

lastExile

lastExile��

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:netadmin of osx86.hu irc network for the past few years
what kinda screen is it like a disco screen black background with coloroful dots ?

zuz_242

zuz_242

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

what kinda screen is it like a disco screen black background with coloroful dots ?

not really colourful, rather grey and black. (only some colour dots)
and rather square segments thant dots.

like seen here:
http://forum.insanel...o...090&st=113#
http://forum.insanel...o...4090&st=69#

btw: my passive card should be cool enough because of fans in case ..
im running a amd on a nforce 4/5 mobo, dual dvi

[EDIT]
this garbled screen occours on install, e.g. from zephs 10.5.2r2. it seems that it is some kind of
display of the runnig system, as one can see the mouse move/ menues pop up in this little fragments.
So: wtf is this? memory not accessed properly on the card? wrong frequency?
with -x i get to boot, though, without any gfx support.

after instaling lastexiles 3870hd package, i get a blackscreen with reboot after the gray loading
screen. this time not even -x helps.

[EDIT]

Solved!!
Changing MoBo from nforce to AMD 790x helped with everything!

Leader86

Leader86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Here the same problem of zuz_242
but with Natit, Leopard crash before finish boot.
With my 7300GT 512 working perfect.

Please help!!!

Leader86

Leader86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
With Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 (Device ID= 0x9501) it seems that with Natit.kext from Netkas "ATI Radeon HD 3870" the system crash at the line:

usr/sbin/ocspd[76]: starting

without Natit.kext installed the boot process seems complete but the screen become black with blue spots and moving mouse cause "something in the mess of the spots"
In this way I can boot only in safe mode with -x

The system boot properly (but without video kext loaded) only without GFX update on a fresh install of 10.5.2 with any distro.

Could someone try to understand the link between Natit and ocspd?

zuz_242

zuz_242

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
im still trying.

any idea what stops some (us) from using this card while others have no problems?

- i got a sapphire hd3870 (id:9501) ultimate with passive cooling (enough case fans tough)
- i am using two monitors via dvi, but tried also only one with dvi2vga
- im using a nforce 560-sli chipset, maybe nforce and ati dont go along well
- my proc is an amd x2 6000
- i tried both osx amd releases, zeph and leo4all, both 10.5.2 (graphics update included i think)

so, where is the problem? same rig runs fine with a gforce 8600gt ..

can anybody (lastExile ? ;) ) explain where these errors (garbled screen and reboot) originate from?
framebuffer?

thanks

zuz

zuz_242

zuz_242

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
gfx is still acting up, i might have to give the card back ..

one strange thing i realized:

after installing anew, zeph release with triakis drivers, one screen had this
garbled output with dots while the other one had vertical stripes...

even stranger: after pressing the power button, the display became partly
normal, still with fragments and errors but mostly looking like it should ?!??

bbkinghun

bbkinghun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have an asus EAH3850 PCI-E and installing the drivers gives me a black screen after boot. using DVI2VGA converter.

http://tinyurl.com/6n4zxh

Leo4allV3 10.5.4
Hardware :
Asus M2V-MX SE
AMD 5000 X2
- FSB: 2000 MT/s
- chipset: VIAR K8M890 / VIA VT8237A "not working"
- 2 x Dual Channel DDR2 667/ 533, max. 2 GB,
- PCIe x16, 2x PCI
- Asus EAH3850/G/HTDI/256M "not working"
- Realtek ALC883 6 csatorns "working"
- LAN: 10/100 Mbps "working"
- PS/2, 4 x USB, RJ45, audio I/O,
- 2 x ATA 133/100, 2 x S-ATA, 2 x S-ATA 3Gb/s, 2 x USB,
-RAM :- 2 GB DDR@ 800 MHz

Stiruam

Stiruam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well its not working for my Club3D HD 3850 512MB OC Edition... I am getting "The Disco Screen of Death" (lol) So could somebody give me a fast tutorial? Cuz i just pressed install and rebooted... I really hate it because i bought this videocard because i thought it would work with dvi and my old HD 2400 pro didn't...

Thanx & Greetz, Stiruam

Edit: ill try http://forum.insanel...showtopic=94090 asap

matty46

matty46

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i have a asus eah3850 512mb..........can work whith kalyway 10.5.2???????

Itkovan

Itkovan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,
Just wanted to add some info to the mix and also say THANK YOU to everyone who works on this stuff.

MSI Radeon 3850 256MB on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 (firmware f11)
Kalyway 10.5.2 install dvd (had to change SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to Disabled and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to AHCI to boot off the dvd in my ATA dvd drive, after that it hasn't mattered)

After vanilla install, no graphics options selected, I ran the leopard graphics update, then the white menus fix from the dvd via pacifist. Filename "white_menus_fixe_HD3850_3870x2_whitemenusfixe38503870x2.pkg"

All resolution options available, CI, QE, rotation report available and I can definitely feel the QE working.

woot!

candykane

candykane

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 540 posts
OWC are selling the ATI Radeon HD 3870 Mac & PC edition
http://eshop.macsale...gies/100435928/
Would this be something that will work in a hack? Its 220 dollars like 160 euro's not bad if it would work natively.

I got a ati X1900 XTX that runs great in tiger but {censored} in leo im thinking of upgrading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy