Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Worked perfectly here. I had a Brazilmac install, I updated to 10.5.1 and then on reboot just dropped the AppleSMBIOS.kext in and applied the EFI boot.

Only issues at this point are Shutdown and Restart are flakey, won't wake from sleep, and About This Mac shows a 3.2GHz Unknown (Q6600 Core2Quad). Speed is right, doesn't display CPU (isn't there a hack for this?).

Anyhow, thanks for the guide, it maded things A LOT easier.

Exactly but like I show in my guide please do not use the brazilmac postpatch, it will render your system unbootable.
I was actually talking about the BrazilMac patched DVD, not the install - BrazilMac installs patched kexts, which is why you need the AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext to put back.
Sorry prolly not - afaik people have had 0 luck with the p965 express chipset.Eventually that'll change I'm sure.. but for now no dice
Mine is the P965 chipset, and as long as you have ICH8R set to AHCI, it's OK. (P5B-Plus)

Ah well great then, I stand corrected - this community moves fast - stay away from it for a week and you miss all kinds of breakthroughs

I was actually talking about the BrazilMac patched DVD, not the install - BrazilMac installs patched kexts, which is why you need the AppleSMBIOS.kext and dsmos.kext to put back.Mine is the P965 chipset, and as long as you have ICH8R set to AHCI, it's OK. (P5B-Plus)

Has anyone had success running EFI on a non-Intel chipset board?

In particular: VIA chipset socket 775 boards. A separate thread mentions success

running Leopard on an ASRock DualVSTA (VIA chipset) board, but not EFI.

Also, from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any mention of EFI functioning when

the CPU is less than a C2Duo CPU. Such as my SSE3 Celeron 356.

What makes the C2Duo capable of running EFI, but the Celeron 356

NOT capable? Could you install EFI with a C2Duo CPU, then later swap out to

a Celeron 356 and still retain the EFI function?

First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.

MacManiac - could you explain this method to me please. I have a P35 board and got the "Still Waiting for Root Device" message when trying to use the Kalyway CD (The image is about 130Mb right? - checking I've got the right one) 

Also, I saw the other Acronis method you described, can I assume "XxX10.4.10" is tiger installed on another partition? Or am I missing something in my arsenal that could help me here? [EDIT:] Ok I found a torrent thing with a similar name I guess it's that

Thought I got passed this problem and got the Kalyway CD to boot by completing this part on another PC (An AMD) - but I'm fairly sure I need to do this part on the target machine.

Could you give me a detailled description of your hardware configuration too? Please.  I've been told I might get round the  "Still Waiting for Root Device" prob by using a USB DVD drive with a SATA HDD on Primary IDE0.  Could you shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Thanks to all of you for ignoring my question about the kexts. I understand you're all busy with your own stuff, but I think I have waited enough. I am still stuck with a no go no boot install, whatever I try, so I'm going to give up and get back to Jas Tiger.

This post is really about the orange icons, as I've seen that too, just in case it might be of some help to anyone. I tried changing my BIOS setting to AHCI instead of Standard IDE. Next time I booted into the install CD as it still wouldn't boot, the icons appeared in orange, as external drives, and where actually reported as such by Disk Utility. Also, when I rebooted in WinXP (on a different drive) Windows didn't find any other drive than the system drive. I realised I had AHCI setting on my BIOS. When I put that back to Standard IDE all was good anhd the drives were back to normal.

My 2 cents to those who bump into this.

Farewell and good luck

Forgot to mention earlier, I had to delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as it caused my system to panic. And I have to use the replacement AppleSMBIOS.kext or I get nothing in the System Profiler.

Other than that, EFI is rocking and rolling.

ASRock Conroe 1333-D667 = £30 well spent :)

MacManiac - could you explain this method to me please. I have a P35 board and got the "Still Waiting for Root Device" message when trying to use the Kalyway CD (The image is about 130Mb right? - checking I've got the right one) 

Also, I saw the other Acronis method you described, can I assume "XxX10.4.10" is tiger installed on another partition? Or am I missing something in my arsenal that could help me here? [EDIT:] Ok I found a torrent thing with a similar name I guess it's that

Thought I got passed this problem and got the Kalyway CD to boot by completing this part on another PC (An AMD) - but I'm fairly sure I need to do this part on the target machine.

Could you give me a detailled description of your hardware configuration too? Please.  I've been told I might get round the  "Still Waiting for Root Device" prob by using a USB DVD drive with a SATA HDD on Primary IDE0.  Could you shed any light on this?

Many thanks

XxX 10.4.10 is a Tiger Install DVD. What seems to be the issue is that if the Kalyway DVD won't boot, then probably XxX will. Or vice versa.

My SATA config is main HDD in Sata1 and DVD drive in Sata2 Make sure SATA is activated in BIOS, and SET TO AHCI. Make sure your main HDD drive is a FAT 32 primary partition before booting the XxX disk. Very important. I have found that Acronis True Image is the easiest way to make a FAT 32 partition. There is a torrrent for an Acronis boot disk somewhere.

Sup guys n gals,

Newbie alert :D but be patient with me - this is my 1st post. I have installed Tiger 10.4.10 using XxX media, everything works except my wireless which is a Netgear WG311T (PCI wireless card) but that's cool I'm ready to embark on a new journey called Leopard.

Big Ups goes to Onetrack for a ruffneck guide in regards to installing Leopard :)

And thanks also to all participants who provided some type of input.

:( Now the problem: I have stuffed my duffle bag with everything required to follow Onetrack's guide. The only problem - I got the AppleSMBIOS.kext from orig. Leopard DVD using Pacifist running on my Tiger install but I can't seem to find this dsmos.kext file everyones mentioning. I have searched the forums for the answer to this question but no solution ;)

Can someone enlighten me so I can Leopard too :D

Thanx a million

SojasMAC

Hi SojasMacpm me - i have it - you can also go to the irc channel and a direct link to it is in the topic there.

Sup guys n gals,Newbie alert :D but be patient with me - this is my 1st post. I have installed Tiger 10.4.10 using XxX media, everything works except my wireless which is a Netgear WG311T (PCI wireless card) but that's cool I'm ready to embark on a new journey called Leopard.Big Ups goes to Onetrack for a ruffneck guide in regards to installing Leopard :D And thanks also to all participants who provided some type of input. :) Now the problem: I have stuffed my duffle bag with everything required to follow Onetrack's guide. The only problem - I got the AppleSMBIOS.kext from orig. Leopard DVD using Pacifist running on my Tiger install but I can't seem to find this dsmos.kext file everyones mentioning. I have searched the forums for the answer to this question but no solution ;) Can someone enlighten me so I can Leopard too :D Thanx a millionSojasMAC
Hi Joot - Sorry no - remember that OSX is a unix based system - becoming friendly with the command line isn't that scary.Its best to just read the link and pm me if you need any clarification - i've made it as noob proof as possible :)
Seems, you have to be a computer scientist just to install this...isn't there an easier way for newbies to install it without all the command lines... :(
Steadybootleggin - pm me for more informationElevampas - Sorry you didn't get your kexts - pm me and I'll help as I can but remember that OSX is very finicky when it comes to hardware.

ALL THE KEXTS CAN BE FOUND IN THE IRC CHANNEL #LEOPARD ON THE SERVER IRC.OSX86.HU

WHEN ENTERING THE CHANNEL LOOK IN THE TOPIC FOR THE FILES. DON'T ASK, PEOPLE WON'T ANSWER YOU. AND IF THEY DO, THEY WILL RESPOND WITH, "TOPIC".

THAT IS ALL.

-Stell

ALL THE KEXTS CAN BE FOUND IN THE IRC CHANNEL #LEOPARD ON THE SERVER IRC.OSX86.HU

WHEN ENTERING THE CHANNEL LOOK IN THE TOPIC FOR THE FILES. DON'T ASK, PEOPLE WON'T ANSWER YOU. AND IF THEY DO, THEY WILL RESPOND WITH, "TOPIC".

THAT IS ALL.

-Stell

Thx Stell, I am there on IRC. What topic is the right one?

Thx again,

SojasMAC

I have installed efi 10.5.1 again. But I didn't use a USB stick drive or the kalyway disk. I worked off of another internal HDD (had Leopard 10.5.1 patched -shouldn't matter, probably could use Tiger) that had the vanilla kexts and pc_efi_V5 on it.

So you don't necessarily need either a USB stick drive or the kalyway disk, and you can still make this recipe work.

Props again to Onetrack and stellarola for this guide.