Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Sorry prolly not - afaik people have had 0 luck with the p965 express chipset.

Eventually that'll change I'm sure.. but for now no dice

This board might make for a decent Hackentosh:

Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

($49.99 after $60.00 Mail-In Rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186109

You may not have removed the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and replaced it with the new one, once you do it will fix that error afaik :D

Onetrack, can you, or anyone else for that matter, please tell me how to find the right AppleSMBIOS and dsmos kexts? I have done this three times already and everything seems perfect except two things:

1-when I remove CPU power management kext the spinning thing goes on forever and the computer freezes (well, at least so it seems)

2-When it should boot into the desktop for the first time after patching EFI, and we should check everything blablaa it never does. When I shutdown the computer and eject the Brazil DVD to boot into Leopard it never happens. The computer keeps resetting right after the Bios screen.

Maybe my Vanilla kexts are the wrong ones?

P5W DH Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600

ATI X1300

4Gb Ram

Please help me out, I know this should work, what am I doing wrong?

cheers

Elea

Hey, Yeah no problem. Unfortunately I have no instructions. It has just worked for me on Tiger 10.4.8 and Leo 10.5.0 & 10.5.1.

I had resolution change problems with my Radeon 9600, and it turned out it could not communicate properly with the monitor. Forcing resolution changes at startup with F8 on boot & "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@75" worked for me to get native, but no changing on the fly. Changing the monitor also fixed the problem.

**EDIT: bigvalboa/Nick: Please add system specs including OS version and kernel to your posts/sig. If you are using 10.5.1, I backed up AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext B4 updating to 10.5.1 and put it back afterwards. I don't know if it helped but, that is what I did.

Are you connected VGA or DVI, VGA is fine for me, I hear that DVI support is sometimes not as good.

Cheers,

C.

I have the 10.5.1 Vanilla Kernel / PC_EFI V5.2

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz

2gb of Ram

I am also still having the system profiler problems, and the wrong clock speed showing in about this mac.

Again as written earlier - you must remove the original AppleSMBIOS.kext that is installed by brazilmac and copy over the new one from pc_efi

:blink: check stells post a few back for the details

I have the 10.5.1 Vanilla Kernel / PC_EFI V5.2

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz

2gb of Ram

I am also still having the system profiler problems, and the wrong clock speed showing in about this mac.

Thank you for your detailed guide. I was able to install 10.5.0 perfectly without a single hiccup. The only think that is not working for me is sound (Bad Axe 2 mother board with Sigmatel STAC9274D). None of the know methods work and I think it is due to the fact that the kernel is a vanilla. I will keep searching for the solution. Thanks for your guide again.

You're welcome - thanks for reporting that your system is working - please post here if you are successfull in getting your audio working.

-One

Thank you for your detailed guide. I was able to install 10.5.0 perfectly without a single hiccup. The only think that is not working for me is sound (Bad Axe 2 mother board with Sigmatel STAC9274D). None of the know methods work and I htink it is due to the fact that the kernel is a vanilla. I will keep searching for the solution. Thanks for your guide again.

Ok, I figured out what I did wrong. YES! This guide does work. Thanks again. My broadcom wireless was recognized as airport, even after the 10.5.1 update.

Minor issues:

I guess the Kalyway "package" turned all my internal drives into orange externals (well, the icons). How can I change that back?

About This Mac/More Info (Hardware) --> error "There was a problem getting information about this mac". *sniff* no Mac Pro for me.... How can I fix this?

If you've copied over the applsmbios.kext as the guide shows you should be gold.. if its not working I'm not sure - might be something you have to live with.

Kalyway made orange icons?

Do you mean the name of the icon, or the icon itself - if its just the name, then all you do is right click and set the colour

Ok, I figured out what I did wrong. YES! This guide does work. Thanks again. My broadcom wireless was recognized as airport, even after the 10.5.1 update.

Minor issues:

I guess the Kalyway "package" turned all my internal drives into orange externals (well, the icons). How can I change that back?

About This Mac/More Info (Hardware) --> error "There was a problem getting information about this mac". *sniff* no Mac Pro for me.... How can I fix this?

Ok, its not Kalyway. I started again. I reformatted the drive with Acronis True Image as Fat32, Booted up XxX10.4.10 and partitioned the drive with Disk Utility, and set the partition active in Terminal.

Then followed the directions starting with the BrazilMac Leopard disk.

Everything worked. However same weird icon thing

Snapshot_2007_11_22_23_42_25.tiff

I still have the About The Mac - There was an error while gathering this information thing.

Get Info on AppleSMBIOS.kext shows it is version 1.0.12 I'm sure this is the vanilla one from the retail Leopard disk.

You're welcome - thanks for reporting that your system is working - please post here if you are successfull in getting your audio working.

-One

Well, as luck would have it I have my audio working. I ASSummed that I has the Sigmatel 9274D, but as a matter of fact I had 9227 in my BadAxe2 motherboard. I kept on tring with the 9274D (found here and on the web) text file and various versions of AppleHDA patcher (s) but no success. I then tried, the 9227 txt file downloaded from the web but still no luck. Finally, I tried the ubuntu live CD, copied the txt file using the instructions found here, and installed that txt file with .16 AppleHDA patcher. Luck would have it, it worked. Lesson learned (live CD is the best way to get the audio information out for patching). Hopefully my experience will help other people. My last problem now is that I lose network connection after a "sleep". I can sleep and wake up properly. Again, I am still at 10.5.0. I will update sometime tomorrow and keep you guys updated.

Everyone, thanks for all your posts and moral support.

(keywords Sigmatel 9274D 9227 Leopard 10.5.0 vanilla kernel AppleHDA AppleHDA.kext Badaxe2 Bad Axe audio)

.... Lesson learned (live CD is the best way to get the audio information out for patching). Hopefully my experience will help other people. My last problem now is that I lose network connection after a "sleep". I can sleep and wake up properly. Again, I am still at 10.5.0. I will update sometime tomorrow and keep you guys updated.

Everyone, thanks for all your posts and moral support.

(keywords Sigmatel 9274D 9227 Leopard 10.5.0 vanilla kernel AppleHDA AppleHDA.kext Badaxe2 Bad Axe audio)

Please, detail how to obtain a linux dump after your onboard, using a Live CD. It can be useful for many ppl.

Thats a great way of setting up the partition scheme - I guess if you don't have the kalyway prepare disk you can follow this method - you should also describe what you did in terminal to make the partition active, i'm assuming you did it with fdisk?

Regarding your yellow icons, looks like you need to install candybar and just change the drive icons :( very strange that they're yellow - but mine are white.

Other than that you have a successfull install? audio / video / time machine all working except about this mac hey - we should screen share later on tonight so I can help you and see whats up with that about this mac issue.

regards,

One

Ok, its not Kalyway. I started again. I reformatted the drive with Acronis True Image as Fat32, Booted up XxX10.4.10 and partitioned the drive with Disk Utility, and set the partition active in Terminal.

Everything worked. However same weird icon thing

Snapshot_2007_11_22_23_42_25.tiff

I still have the About The Mac - There was an error while gathering this information thing.

Get Info on AppleSMBIOS.kext shows it is version 1.0.12 I'm sure this is the vanilla one from the retail Leopard disk.

If you've copied over the applsmbios.kext as the guide shows you should be gold.. if its not working I'm not sure - might be something you have to live with.

Kalyway made orange icons?

Do you mean the name of the icon, or the icon itself - if its just the name, then all you do is right click and set the colour

He means they are detected as external/removable drives - like a USB drive icon without the USB symbol. Quite a few of us have this problem, though it doesn't seem to affect performance or facility.

Yes, I used fdisk to make the partition active. Audio-out worked after I copied over Azalia from my 10.5.1(patched) sleep_kernel install. LAN worked when I copied over my edited IONetworkingFamily (the ToH one, but edited for Marvel Yukon) This also gets TimeMachine working. I used jccool newest installer to get CI/QE working for my 1950XT. Sleep/wake works perfectly, however, I must always use the power button to wake. After a sleep, should I happen to try a reboot, I get the "restart freeze". Pretty minor, tho. Basically, everything is working great. I get audio in from a PCI-e card.

Yes, like ntsmkfob says, right now, my drives are detected/displayed as externals.

They should look like this:

Snapshot_2007_11_23_07_44_42.tiff

Both the EFI way and the Patched Kernel way are both working well, except that the EFI way has the HDD icon problem and the SystemProfiler-Hardware-errorgatheringinfo problem. These issues don't appear to affect performance or stability in any way.

Please, detail how to obtain a linux dump after your onboard, using a Live CD. It can be useful for many ppl.

Here is what I did:

Downloaded Ubuntu CD from www.ubuntu.com.

Burned the iso and booted into it.

Then follow the instructions from http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/ind...32859-2150.html .

Instructions copied here from the link.

1) put the usb stick into the PC and boot Linux off the live cd

2) once its booted, open a terminal or command prompt as root

3) cd /proc/asound there will probably be a directory here called "card0" (eg)

4) cd card0

5) there will be a file here called "codec"something or other, eg. codec#2

6) this is a text file, you can type 'cat codec#2' and see text

7) save text file to usb stick: 'cat codec#2 >/media/kingston' (based on where your USB stick is mounted)

After booting into Leopard, just place the saved text file on the .16 AppleHDA Patcher found somewhere here.

Good Luck.

Is there a way to insert the drivers for the x1950XT instead of NVinject in the process? All I have found for x1950 are the jcool installers.

You can install any video driver you want. He was just using NVinject as an example for his Nvidia 7950GT.

Kalyway boot disc doesn't boot at all on my computer. I don't even get the Darwin boot loader. The Brazilmac DVD boots fine. What exactly does the Kalyway disc do, and can I 'do' what it 'does' any other way? I've got a bootable mac.nub DVD that I know works.

Does it boot on any other systems ? its just a slightly modified tiger disk - if mac.nub boots, there is no reason it shouldn't - unless its a bad burn

Kalyway boot disc doesn't boot at all on my computer. I don't even get the Darwin boot loader. The Brazilmac DVD boots fine. What exactly does the Kalyway disc do, and can I 'do' what it 'does' any other way? I've got a bootable mac.nub DVD that I know works.

I've done this install without the Kalyway disk. I believe it is being used to eliminate variables, and ensure a correctly prepared bootable partition on your install HDD.

My earlier post in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=515727

I reformatted the drive with Acronis True Image as Fat32, Booted up XxX10.4.10 and partitioned the drive with Disk Utility, and set the partition active in Terminal.

Everything worked.

Well, I gave up on the Kalyway disc, and used the mac.nub to format the hard disk. BrazilMac wouldn't boot as it kernel panicked, so I installed from the ToH instead but replaced all the kexts with those from the BrazilMac DVD. Then I followed the rest of the guide for setting up efi.. and it works! I'm extremely happy! Full EFI, vanilla kernel and I've got a Mac Prop apparently :(

Thanks Onetrack, and everybody else who gave some useful pointers. Now I just need to make myself an installation DVD that has all the stuff my system needs.