• Please log in to reply
1040 replies to this topic

bigvalboa

bigvalboa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
I followed, all of these steps and for some reason when I goto System Profiler it says "There was an error gathering this information" Also when I goto about this mac it says 4ghz Core 2 Duo. Which is wrong because I have the E6750 Core 2 Duo which is 2.66ghz. I have the GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard as well, and 2gb of ram. For some reason my stuff isnt showing the proper speeds.

Regards,
Nick

indiekiduk

indiekiduk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157113

Check out that board, it has the same specs as the Gigabyte that was listed, but can go up to 4GB ram via x2 2GB DDR2 sticks. Plus it's only $50. I think I might go that route for my next build. :o

-Stell

But I think OS X will only detect 3GB with that mobo. I think to get 4GB you need to move to 965G but I don't think anyone has managed to get the X3000 to work yet.

macmaniac

macmaniac

hackaholic

• Donators
  • 322 posts
So, I gave this method a try.

First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.

Things went smoothly until I got to the ./startupfiletool command, I didn't get the lines of text, I got:

HFS+ detected.
startupfile tool System not cleanly unmounted. or something like that....

I appreciate the effort involved in writing this tutorial.
Still looking for a way to get EFI......thanks anyway.

At least my 10.5.1 patched install is working flawlessly.

Cyborg28

Cyborg28

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi - What is your processor? pc_efi does not work correctly with a vanilla kernel on anything less than a core2duo afaik, if you have an older processor
it will reboot loop or lock as you've described.

If you have a celeronD, P4 or PD you must use a patched kernel like the ToH one.

regards,
One

C2D e4300

bigvalboa

bigvalboa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Anyone with the GMA950, have you been able to change resolutions. Could you please post your instructions if you have done so.

Regards,
Nick

Cyborg28

Cyborg28

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Anyone with the GMA950, have you been able to change resolutions. Could you please post your instructions if you have done so.
Regards,
Nick

Hey, Yeah no problem. Unfortunately I have no instructions. It has just worked for me on Tiger 10.4.8 and Leo 10.5.0 & 10.5.1.
I had resolution change problems with my Radeon 9600, and it turned out it could not communicate properly with the monitor. Forcing resolution changes at startup with F8 on boot & "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@75" worked for me to get native, but no changing on the fly. Changing the monitor also fixed the problem.

**EDIT: bigvalboa/Nick: Please add system specs including OS version and kernel to your posts/sig. If you are using 10.5.1, I backed up AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext B4 updating to 10.5.1 and put it back afterwards. I don't know if it helped but, that is what I did.

Are you connected VGA or DVI, VGA is fine for me, I hear that DVI support is sometimes not as good.

Cheers,

C.

bigcletus

bigcletus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Awesome write up you did. After several failed attempts of installing leo I had almost give up until I tried your method. Success at last and not a single issue (with leopard at least). Boots perfectly.

Now if I can only figure out how to get vista and xp booting again...

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

So, I gave this method a try.

First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.

Things went smoothly until I got to the ./startupfiletool command, I didn't get the lines of text, I got:

HFS+ detected.
startupfile tool System not cleanly unmounted. or something like that....

I appreciate the effort involved in writing this tutorial.
Still looking for a way to get EFI......thanks anyway.

At least my 10.5.1 patched install is working flawlessly.

You can't apply the PC_EFI when your in Leopard, because your HDD is mounted. So boot into Single user mode and load it up that way from a USB Flash Drive. :D

fuzzywasaduck2

fuzzywasaduck2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks for the replies RE: Getting past STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE

In the end I resorted to doing the kalyway CD part on my AMD machine and then continuing with the BrazilMac DVD on the target Intel machine (See spec in sig)

I've managed to apply all of the patches using the terminal using OneTracks and Doug's methods including the EFI patch but...

a big BUT ...

the spinning ball thing will just stop just before a quick flicker of the screen.  If I boot with the Brazil DVD still in, I get a reboot cycle without getting to the grey screen with the apple sign
Triple checked my work - I have done it right

What could it be?

Onetrack

Onetrack

one who makes the world tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
You may not have removed the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and replaced it with the new one, once you do it will fix that error afaik :P

I followed, all of these steps and for some reason when I goto System Profiler it says "There was an error gathering this information" Also when I goto about this mac it says 4ghz Core 2 Duo. Which is wrong because I have the E6750 Core 2 Duo which is 2.66ghz. I have the GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard as well, and 2gb of ram. For some reason my stuff isnt showing the proper speeds.Regards,Nick

You need to unmount the drive in disk utility first, then run the pc_efi command in terminal.. that should set you up.

So, I gave this method a try.First off the Kalyway DVD is missing drivers for my mobo. It wouldn't find the root device. I have run into this problem with some (but not all) of the Uphuck DVDs. It seems that a lot of these homebrew disks haven't factored in the P35 chipset. So I set up a bootable partition my normal reliable way, and installed the "package" from the Kalyway DVD with Pacifist.Things went smoothly until I got to the ./startupfiletool command, I didn't get the lines of text, I got:HFS+ detected.startupfile tool System not cleanly unmounted. or something like that....I appreciate the effort involved in writing this tutorial.Still looking for a way to get EFI......thanks anyway.At least my 10.5.1 patched install is working flawlessly.

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
This board might make for a decent Hackentosh:
Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
($49.99 after $60.00 Mail-In Rebate)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813186109

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Sorry prolly not - afaik people have had 0 luck with the p965 express chipset.

Eventually that'll change I'm sure.. but for now no dice

This board might make for a decent Hackentosh:
Foxconn G9657MA-8KS2H LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
($49.99 after $60.00 Mail-In Rebate)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813186109

eleavampas

eleavampas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

You may not have removed the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and replaced it with the new one, once you do it will fix that error afaik :D

Onetrack, can you, or anyone else for that matter, please tell me how to find the right AppleSMBIOS and dsmos kexts? I have done this three times already and everything seems perfect except two things:
1-when I remove CPU power management kext the spinning thing goes on forever and the computer freezes (well, at least so it seems)
2-When it should boot into the desktop for the first time after patching EFI, and we should check everything blablaa it never does. When I shutdown the computer and eject the Brazil DVD to boot into Leopard it never happens. The computer keeps resetting right after the Bios screen.

Maybe my Vanilla kexts are the wrong ones?

P5W DH Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
ATI X1300
4Gb Ram

Please help me out, I know this should work, what am I doing wrong?

cheers
Elea

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
@Onetrack:
Re:
Memory:2 GB P6400 OCZ dual channel
Bus Speed:800 Mhz

How can you use 800 MHz PC6400 memory, @800 MHz, when the motherboard only supports:
Memory Standard DDR2 667 ?
GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 @ Newegg
Doesn't the 800 MHz memory "down clock" to 667 MHz?

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Magic fairy dust :blink:

@Onetrack:
Re:
Memory:2 GB P6400 OCZ dual channel
Bus Speed:800 Mhz

How can you use 800 MHz PC6400 memory, @800 MHz, when the motherboard only supports:
Memory Standard DDR2 667 ?
GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 @ Newegg
Doesn't the 800 MHz memory "down clock" to 667 MHz?

bigvalboa

bigvalboa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hey, Yeah no problem. Unfortunately I have no instructions. It has just worked for me on Tiger 10.4.8 and Leo 10.5.0 & 10.5.1.
I had resolution change problems with my Radeon 9600, and it turned out it could not communicate properly with the monitor. Forcing resolution changes at startup with F8 on boot & "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@75" worked for me to get native, but no changing on the fly. Changing the monitor also fixed the problem.

**EDIT: bigvalboa/Nick: Please add system specs including OS version and kernel to your posts/sig. If you are using 10.5.1, I backed up AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext B4 updating to 10.5.1 and put it back afterwards. I don't know if it helped but, that is what I did.

Are you connected VGA or DVI, VGA is fine for me, I hear that DVI support is sometimes not as good.

Cheers,

C.

I have the 10.5.1 Vanilla Kernel / PC_EFI V5.2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz
2gb of Ram

I am also still having the system profiler problems, and the wrong clock speed showing in about this mac.

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Again as written earlier - you must remove the original AppleSMBIOS.kext that is installed by brazilmac and copy over the new one from pc_efi
:blink: check stells post a few back for the details

I have the 10.5.1 Vanilla Kernel / PC_EFI V5.2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66ghz
2gb of Ram

I am also still having the system profiler problems, and the wrong clock speed showing in about this mac.

jngletiger_im

jngletiger_im

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your detailed guide. I was able to install 10.5.0 perfectly without a single hiccup. The only think that is not working for me is sound (Bad Axe 2 mother board with Sigmatel STAC9274D). None of the know methods work and I think it is due to the fact that the kernel is a vanilla. I will keep searching for the solution. Thanks for your guide again.

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
You're welcome - thanks for reporting that your system is working - please post here if you are successfull in getting your audio working.

-One

Thank you for your detailed guide. I was able to install 10.5.0 perfectly without a single hiccup. The only think that is not working for me is sound (Bad Axe 2 mother board with Sigmatel STAC9274D). None of the know methods work and I htink it is due to the fact that the kernel is a vanilla. I will keep searching for the solution. Thanks for your guide again.

macmaniac

macmaniac

hackaholic

• Donators
  • 322 posts
Ok, I figured out what I did wrong. YES! This guide does work. Thanks again. My broadcom wireless was recognized as airport, even after the 10.5.1 update.

Minor issues:

I guess the Kalyway "package" turned all my internal drives into orange externals (well, the icons). How can I change that back?

About This Mac/More Info (Hardware) --> error "There was a problem getting information about this mac". *sniff* no Mac Pro for me.... How can I fix this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy