Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Note: This guide is now over 1 year old, pretty much defunct. There are many better ways of installing leopard now, such as newer 10.5.4 installation dvds, EFI-X, Boot-132, slipstream, etc.

Thanks - Onetrack

Note:

There are now MANY confirmed people on the forum running 10.5.1 - please read through for various board issues and how they were overcome

Confirmed installations :

Onetrack, Stellarolla, Doug The Impaler, jngletiger_im, Macmaniac, flibblesan, Brywalker, bigvalboa, bigcletus, eleavampas, elfdood, sojasMAC, sticman, Ho11ywood45, Memphis2K, Replicant, SwissTurbo, Pepes01, Plas, abeltcb, rpmsquita, BJoestein, Chinasky, steadyboot, decilling, Yoshiko Washima, Weaksauce12, sdmac, jzaw, smorf, sjeezo productione', Geofferooney, Mooo, DJChaos82, Replicant, Stravaganza, Riot, RFMan, Lester56

Direct link to my video because I know you all want to see it :glare:

Congrats guys - hope you like your new Hack Pro's :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks,

Here is a quick how to which will be fleshed out over the next little bit as to a full installation method for Leopard with a properly created Brazilmac disk, the Kalyway Make Boot CD for Leopard and the kexts you need for a perfect system.

First off, see my sig for the computer used in this build, YMMV but I picked up my motherboard for 56.00 and its well worth it.

Note - terminal commands are bolded

Items you will need:

1 USB Flash drive (that you know the volume NAME of) NOT formatted as NTFS - IMPORTANT!

If the flash key is ntfs, the installer will not see it. Format as Fat32 first, then put the files you need on it.

On the USB key, put the following items, unzip where needed.

pc_efi V5.2 (its the latest)

NOTE PC_EFI V7 is now out and includes grub - we are testing this solution to see if we need the kalyway disk still

dsmos.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

NVinject for Leopard (only if you have an Nvidia based card, if not - ignore any references in the guide to NVinject)

1 Copy of a properly prepared Brazilmac disk

1 Copy of the Kalyway boot prepare cd for Leopard

First make sure your assembled computer is able to boot off the DVD drive, insert the Kalyway cd and press any key to boot the cd when you are prompted.

After about 5 minutes you will come to a slimmed down tiger install, go to Disk Utility and partition, prepare your drive as you require.

Once you are happy make a note of what you called the drive, it will be the [Volume Label] and you will need to know it during patching later.

When the disk utility completes, exit it and continue through the installer, there will be 1 package already selected, install it and you are done.

Reboot with the BrazilMac dvd in place of the Kalyway disk, same procedure - it will take about 20 minutes to fully boot to the install screen, go have a drink or some food while you wait.

At the installer do NOT use disk utility, instead continue with the installer, make sure CUSTOMIZE is selected and DESELECT all packages (Printers, Fonts, X11 etc) that you can, just install the bare system. If you want to have the system check your installation media go ahead, otherwise skip - it takes about 10 minutes.

Once the installation is complete you will have to shutdown the computer manually, power on, and again boot into the installer (again, another 20 minutes or so).

In the installer, this time go to Utilities -> Terminal. At the #prompt cd to /Volumes/[usb drive name] I called mine PATCHER.

Now its time to get friendly with the command line, the commands are simple you are changing the location and ownership of the kext files you have on your usb key.

Edit:

The first step to do is to remove the original AppleSMBIOS.kext file as you will be putting another in its place and it will not copy over correctly if the one that

was installed by Brazilmac exists. skipping this step may cause your computer to have a stop error on bootup.

You can do this by typing in

rm -rf /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

first: dsmos.kext

cp -R dsmos.kext /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/

then AppleSMBIOS.kext

cp -R AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/

Optional if you have an Nvidia card:

cp -R NVinject.kext /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/

Now chown the lot of them:

chown root:wheel /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

chown root:wheel /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

chown root:wheel /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext

And change permissions

You can change the permissions of all of them at the same time

cd /Volumes[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/ [enter]

chmod -R 755 dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext NVinject.kext

And delete the CPU Power Management - Netkas says its useless and removing it hasn't hurt my system at all.

rm -rf AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

It is time to patch EFI/Bios - the command is pretty straight forward, but you will need to know your RDISK information - if you don't know, at the terminal prompt type enter -

mount [enter]

it will spit back information like this:

/dev/disk0s2 on /Volumes/Storage 500 A (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/Storage 500 B (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/LEOPARD (hfs, local, journaled)

The Volume label you are looking for is the one you installed Leopard onto earlier.

At this point, you should exit terminal and load up disk utility

unmount the drive that you installed LEOPARD to, when done exit disk utility and go back to terminal to your USB drive

cd /Volumes/[usb drive name]/pc_efi [enter]

type the following:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v5 [enter]

where rdiskXsX is the drive and slice identifier you saw in the mount command

in my example, mine is disk1s1 (just put an r in front of it)

It should write about 7 lines of text, and exit.

Quit Terminal.

Now back to Disk Utility, and do a repair permissions on your drive, this is optional, but it probably won't hurt - safe to do and it might save you another 20 minute bootup into the installer just to do this.

Shutdown your computer, power on, eject the disk - and if all goes well you are now booting a completely unmodified kernel right to the welcome screens.

Once at the desktop check to see whats working - if you have a realtek based motherboard, like the one in my signature - you should have internet, audio will not yet be working most likely - if you have the Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 You can seek out and add in the ALC888 patch now to get all 6 audio ports functioning (including audio IN). You can't reboot now, if you try the computer will HANG, you must shutdown and manually restart if you need to.

When ready to patch up your system to 10.5.1 - simple use the software update tool, when it completes manually shutdown - bootup but when you see the DARWIN bootloader hit F8 until you get a prompt and boot in single user mode with -s [enter]

At the prompt you must type in:

fsck -fy [enter]

this will verify and repair any permissions that the update altered.

when its done, power off - reboot

check your system profile, if all is well, it'll look like this:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

Serial Number: LALALALALALALALLA

YOU NOW HAVE A MAC PRO !

EDIT: TIME MACHINE FIX

To fix Time Machine, you need to get the modified file IONetworkingFamily_581.zip from the usual places,

unzip it onto your desktop, and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions - Right click or Command Click to show package contents. Then further navigate to Contents --> MacOS and drop the file there simply replacing the old one. You will be asked to Authenticate, enter your password to do so.

Of course we need to go into the command line again for proper permissions, open terminal and type the following.

sudo su [enter] put in your password when prompted.

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/ [enter]

chown root:wheel IONetworkingFamily

chmod 775 IONetworkingFamily

And you are done ! TIME MACHINE is now fully working :)

Have fun - you have a Vanilla Kernel and the machine will rock.

post pix of your builds :)

Any questions - let me know.. I'll constantly edit this guide

Special thanks to my buddy Stellarolla who stuck with me through 6 hours of broken installations until I finally gave in and got the Kalyway disk (GET IT, none of this will work without it.)

Of course thanks and greets out to Netkas for making PC_EFI work, Torque for sticking with us and answering questions, EVERYONE involved in the grand exchange of ideas for making this house of cards actually work :)

You know who you are.

Benchmarks - my comp VS a 20" core2duo imac

1000467an6.th.jpg

Sleep and restart fixes:

in collloquay you need to connect to a server,

irc.osx86.hu port 6667

when you're logged in type

/j #leopard

and it will join the channel #Leopard - in the topic, click the down arrow on the right, and you will see clickable links to sleep and restart

Once you get the two zip files, and unzip them to your desktop you will have AppleACPIPlatform and IONetworkingFamily

What you need to do is leave them on the desktop, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions in finder, right click on both of those kexts, and show contents.

so in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/ you will see AppleACPIPlatform - drag the new one on your desktop into this folder and overwrite the file that is there, you will have to authenticate.

in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/ you will see IONetworkingFamily - drag the new one on your desktop into this folder and overwrite the file that is there, you will have to authenticate.

Once you've overwritten both files, its time to go into terminal,

sudo -s [enter] you will be asked for your password.

cd to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/

chown -R root:wheel AppleACPIPlatform

chmod -R 755 AppleACPIPlatform

cd to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/

chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily

chmod -R 755 IONetworkingFamily

If you did it all correctly, sleep and restart now works. You must reboot first.

Also, if you have the same motherboard as I, go into bios, press ctrl+f1 for advanced bios settings and turn on HPET 64 bit mode, plus set your sleep settings to S3

all should be good.

----------------------------

Also, this motherboard is confirmed to support 4 gigs of ram!

I replaced my 2 gig of ocz gold with 4 gig of 2x2 sticks of ocz platinum, bios only sees 3.4 gig, but osx sees all 4 and uses it stable !.. right on.!

very nice guide, this should help a lot of people. One thing I noticed is you are missing the permissions in one of your commands:

chmod -R dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext NVinject.kext

should probably be

Aha - Thanks - I've made that change :unsure:

very nice guide, this should help a lot of people. One thing I noticed is you are missing the permissions in one of your commands:

chmod -R dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext NVinject.kext

should probably be

Sorry, but I is a noobaroony

Kalyway boot prepare cd - What is this?  I've not come across it

So far I've tried installing Leopard on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo Dual Core duo

Using the BrazilMac_PatchedDVD and ToH_x86_9A581_RC2 to no avail.  Got to patch with the BrazilMac iso but got a mach_kernal error

Anyway, this guide looks promising for me

thanks

Hi - We can't post direct links to the Kalyway prepare cd because of course I'm sure it breaks all kinds of laws and we don't want the hammer of apple legal coming down on insanelymac.

The file can be located on Megaupload, the zipped iso should be about 190 megs.

Find us in the IRC channel for further information.

:)

Sorry, but I is a noobaroony

Kalyway boot prepare cd - What is this? I've not come across it

So far I've tried installing Leopard on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo Dual Core duo

Using the BrazilMac_PatchedDVD and ToH_x86_9A581_RC2 to no avail. Got to patch with the BrazilMac iso but got a mach_kernal error

Anyway, this guide looks promising for me

thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the How to.

I have tried everything above and more and still can't get vanilla apple kernel to load. I think it is because my dsmos.kext will not load properly.

I am using ToH mach_sleep kernel with PC_evi_v5.1 and ToH patched Leopard DVD, have tried vanilla kernel but all I get is reboot loop.

My Motherboard is ASUS P5L-VM 1394 and I am using USB audio and 3com PCI ethernet to avoid fixing on-board.

I would like to update to 10.5.1, but I need vanilla kernel working first.

EDIT: C2D e4300 @ 2.69 GHz

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cyborg28

Hi - What is your processor? pc_efi does not work correctly with a vanilla kernel on anything less than a core2duo afaik, if you have an older processor

it will reboot loop or lock as you've described.

If you have a celeronD, P4 or PD you must use a patched kernel like the ToH one.

regards,

One

Hi,

Thanks for the How to.

I have tried everything above and more and still can't get vanilla apple kernel to load. I think it is because my dsmos.kext will not load properly.

I am using ToH mach_sleep kernel with PC_evi_v5.1 and ToH patched Leopard DVD, have tried vanilla kernel but all I get is reboot loop.

[snip]

OK I had sworn off of getting EFI working on my Hackintosh, but when I saw this easy-to-follow guide I decided to give it a go. This guide simply works. It was easy to follow, it told me ahead of time exactly what files I needed, and everything worked exactly the way you said it would. I just updated to 10.5.1 without anything stupid like Pacifist or hacked kernels and it continued to work. Fantastic job putting this together.

I should note that at least with my motherboard, sleep doesn't work (not that it ever did in OS X before) but shut down and reboot work fine.

Doug !! Congratulations man - can you please post your system specs ?

Any changes to my guide you'd like to see ? Anything I may have overlooked (I did it all from memory and a couple Q/A's with Stellarolla)

Awesome to hear you got your system working with the Vanilla Kernel ;)

So you're at 10.5.1 now and its rock solid right ?

Regards,

One

OK I had sworn off of getting EFI working on my Hackintosh, but when I saw this easy-to-follow guide I decided to give it a go. This guide simply works. It was easy to follow, it told me ahead of time exactly what files I needed, and everything worked exactly the way you said it would. I just updated to 10.5.1 without anything stupid like Pacifist or hacked kernels and it continued to work. Fantastic job putting this together.

I should note that at least with my motherboard, sleep doesn't work (not that it ever did in OS X before) but shut down and reboot work fine.

Sure...

ASUS P5B-Plus

Pentium E2140 (1.6GHz, overclocked to 2.93GHz on 366MHz bus)

2GB DDR2-800

GeForce 7600GS

working onboard sound

non-functional onboard LAN (made by Attansic)

working Firewire 400 port, all USB 2.0 ports, all AHCI SATA ports

SATA DVD-RW

2x320GB SATA HDD's (one with WinXP, one with OS X, dual-booting using Chain0 method)

Linksys LNE100TX v5 10/100 PCI ethernet card (works with tulip.kext)

I should mention that I did things a TINY bit differently because they seemed like they'd work (and they did), and it might be good to incorporate some of this prep into the guide, just to make it more carpal tunnel friendly. ;)

I put the BrazilMac post-patch kexts on my key, and replaced dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext with unmodified ones and then copied tulip.kext into the same folder. Then when I copied/chown/chmod the kexts, i just did this:

cd /Volumes/PATCHER/leopatch/ext

cp -R *.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/

chown root:wheel /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/*.kext

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/*.kext

diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/Leopard/

That kinda condensed all the terminal fudgery. Then I followed your directions for installing EFI exactly as you typed them (Disk Utility -> unmount, Terminal -> run command as you typed), booted up into Leopard, all hardware worked as expected, updated via Software Update, everything continued to work as expected, and now I'm installing my apps while I write this.

Sleep works in that I can go to sleep. I can wake from sleep (because I hear disk activity and I can SSH into the system). But my video card doesn't come back to life. That's no big deal; I run SETI@home 24/7 on the box anyway, so I don't want it to sleep. I just tested it because it had been asked in this thread.

I hope that what I wrote above is helpful to someone; there's alot of typing in the original directions, and with careful planning of the layout of your USB key by putting all kexts you want to install into a directory together, you can limit what you have to do in the Terminal.

I have a Windows Vista64 install that was activated on this machine (so I could upgrade to Vista64 again when I feel brave), but I accidentally trashed it with irresponsible usage of EasyBCD. I have a fear that EasyBCD doesn't work well with Vista64, but someday I'll find out. For now, because OS X is on its own drive, I don't intend to futz with installing Leopard every again on this box.

One other thing: I could not find any mention of EFI v5.2 on netkas's blog, so I went with what I had - EFI 5.1. It doesn't say I'm using a Mac Pro, but it does boot the vanilla kernel on my hardware like so:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: System Product Name

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 1 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.47 GHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

Serial Number: System Serial Number

You're welcome,

Sleep / Shutdown / Restart are all chipset dependant so it really depends on your board.

It has been reported by Stellarolla (he's got the same motherboard as I do) that there is a bios setting called 'sp3' that will enable sleep but I havnt' confirmed that myself yet.

regards,

One

Thanks Onetrack for this guide.

Are Sleep Restart Shutdown All Normal?

For the benefit of noobs like me I think the guide could possibly do with a bit more clarity...  just a minor critisism  ;)

For instance -

I am assuming that the bold text is generally what you type into the terminal

EDIT: OK I see it now :o

[VolumeLabel]   ? Is this the volume Leopard has been installed to?

Thanks

You got it, bold text is commands you have to type, volume label is the name of your installation drive

mine is called Leopard, therefore

/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions

etc etc

;)

Dont' worry about asking about questions if you don't know.. i'll help no matter how dumb the question is. :)

For the benefit of noobs like me I think the guide could possibly do with a bit more clarity... just a minor critisism :)

For instance -

I am assuming that the bold text is generally what you type into the terminal

EDIT: OK I see it now :)

[VolumeLabel] ? Is this the volume Leopard has been installed to?

Thanks

Exactly but like I show in my guide please do not use the brazilmac postpatch, it will render your system unbootable.

They are VANILLA kexts from the Leopard DVD. When you do the BrazilMac patching, part of what you do is erase those kexts and replace them with patched versions. This undoes that patch.