Dell OptiPlex 755 anyone?

K-Gun

44 posts in this topic

hi. i have the same running jas 10.4.8. mines not a quad core though but i guess its the same. Apart from sound and 3d acceleration, works good.

If you have the ati x1300 graphics card DONT select any of the bundled ati graphics drivers at installation, they wont work. I just selected intel sse3 support and loginwindow fix in addition to the preselected essentials software. Graphics worked with only vesa support (no 3d acceleration).

Ive tried in vain to get the sound to work but i dont think anyone has done so on the forums yet.

Instead im just going to get a cheap usb sound adapter like this:

http://www.uxcell.com/usb-sound-audio-soun...ray-p-2967.html

Built in ethernet works without drivers.

My buffalo wirless usb adapter works with drivers.

Hope this helps,

Any more q's, just ask,

Brendan.

• 6 months later...

Hi bren50c

I have a working on board Audio for the Optiplex 755 . I cannot get the onboard LAN to work.

Can we trade drivers :whistle: ?

I used the Leo4All driver called Azalia_ADI1988.pkg

thanx in advance

Vince

hi. i have the same running jas 10.4.8. mines not a quad core though but i guess its the same. Apart from sound and 3d acceleration, works good.

If you have the ati x1300 graphics card DONT select any of the bundled ati graphics drivers at installation, they wont work. I just selected intel sse3 support and loginwindow fix in addition to the preselected essentials software. Graphics worked with only vesa support (no 3d acceleration).

Ive tried in vain to get the sound to work but i dont think anyone has done so on the forums yet.

Instead im just going to get a cheap usb sound adapter like this:

http://www.uxcell.com/usb-sound-audio-soun...ray-p-2967.html

Built in ethernet works without drivers.

My buffalo wirless usb adapter works with drivers.

Hope this helps,

Any more q's, just ask,

Brendan.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi bren50c

I have a working on board Audio for the Optiplex 755 . I cannot get the onboard LAN to work.

Can we trade drivers :blink: ?

I used the Leo4All driver called Azalia_ADI1988.pkg

thanx in advance

Vince

can we get a link to that please I'm having the same trouble and i have tired so much stuff with no luck i would appreciate it

Hi J.Matt.Harris

So is your onbard Intel Graphics card working ?

If yes , do you have QE/CI working ?

I have a Nvidia card slotted in my PCI X slot.

Mine works but no QE/CI , so my iMovie does not work. To check , goto , "About this Mac" , "More info", "Graphics/Displays" and look ate the Quartz Extreme : entry.

The 755 is a great Hack , it is very silent and can be used in yyour sitting room with no extra fan noise . Only problem I have is when I tried to slot a Quad Core 1333 Ghz proc into the 755 , the Fan noise goes crazy. This is because the heatsink is a passive one and has no fan. So the internal fans have to make sure the proc is kept cool. I am asking Dell if they have a active heatsink for me. I will feed back to the forum ...

thanx

Vince

can we get a link to that please I'm having the same trouble and i have tired so much stuff with no luck i would appreciate it

• 5 weeks later...

Just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on brand new Optiplex 755 (the big one, not the small form factor)

Installation went fine, no problem at all.

Didn't change anything in BIOS.

Here are some specs:

SYSTEM: Dell OptiPlex 755

BIOS: Dell Inc. A10, 04/30/2008

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.88Ghz E8300

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz

HDD: Western Digital 80.0GB Raptor WD800ADFS-75SLR2 10,000RPM

VGA: Intel Graphics Controller VESA 3.7. (only 1024x768 is available)

SOUND: ADI 198x Integratred HD Audio - Not Working

LAN: BroadCom 5721C NeXTreme Gigbit Ethernet - Not working

Have few problems, but hope to fix them somehow:)

1. CPU doesn't start if the Kalyway Installation Disk is not in the DVD-Writer.

2. No way to reboot or shut CPU down. Only manually with power button.

3. NIC doesn't work. Ordered this card. Hope it'll work.

4. Would like to hear any suggestions for sound card and video card.

5. External USB HD/Flash drives work fine, but it takes about 5-8 minutes to mount them on the desktop.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

• 3 months later...

Hi j.matt.harris

did you find the audio patch for Optiplex 755 yet ?

send me a message with your email address and i will email it to you.

cheers

Vince

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I spent the last 4 days getting OSX running on the Dell Optiplex 755, with full dual screen DVI capability, USB audio, and network all working on 10.5.5. Didn't have to buy any extra cards or bits. Here's how I did it.

First off, all of this was based on the hard work of others here on the forums, and my friends. I really didn't try or do anything new, just kept trying and trying until something worked.

Second off, I make no claims, warranties, guarantees, or any kind of promises that this will work for you. It just documents the steps and resources I discovered on my way to OSX86 goodness. Do so at your own risk.

My System

System:Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Core2 Duo 3GHZ, 4GB RAM

Hard Drives:70GB Primary drive, 500GB Secondary

Video card: ATI HD Radeon 2400XT 256MB

Network card: Onboard Intel 82556DM.

Installation

I went with iATKOS installation of 10.5.4 to begin with, as that is what I had in hand. Adjust these instructions for your preferred distro:

1. Insert the DVD and reboot.
  2. At the welcome screen, choose Utilities | Disk Utility from the menu to create a partition:

1. Select the root of the boot disk (ie : 149.0 GBWDC WDC1600ADFD)
    2. Click the Partition tab and delete the existing partitions.
    3. Create new partitions (recommend a Mac Extended, Journaled file system)
    4. Under Options choose a GUID partitioning scheme.
    5. Click the Partition button and when it's done, quit Disk Utility.

[*]Continue the Installer until you reach the package selections screen. Keep the defaults and add the following:

1. Stock > ACPI
  2. Disk Drivers > SATA

[*]Click Install BUT when the disk validation process begins, click to skip.

[*]Once installation is complete, restart, ejecting the DVD so the system starts from disk.

First boot:

1. During the first boot, configure the keyboard, etc.
  2. Don't enter anything on the "Enter Your Apple ID" page.
  3. On the "Registration Information" page, just hit command-Q, and select "skip".
  4. Create the standard local admin account for OS X machines, username "admin", standard password.

System config:

1. In "Keyboard and Mouse" settings

[*]In "Energy Saver" put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for "Never"

Network Configuration

The drivers for the onboard Intel 82556DM can be found at: http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

I originally found them through this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=128931

Unzip the driver kext file and use Kexthelper to install it. Kexthelper can be found here: http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

Simple steps to follow:

1. Unzip the file.
    2. Launch Kexthelper.
    3. Drag the file on to the applicaiton.
    4. Enter your password, and click Easy Install.
    5. On success, restart your machine.

Upgrading to 10.5.5

So first off, DO NOT USE SOFTWARE UPGRADE. Instead, follow the Netkas method for upgrading outlined here: http://netkas.org/?p=50

Here it is in summary:

1. Download the Mac OS X 10.5.5 stand-alone upgrade here.
    2. Before running the upgrade, open Terminal and enter the following while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done
    3. LEAVE THE TERMINAL WINDOW OPEN WHILE THE SCRIPT RUNS AND RUN THE UPGRADE!
    4. Once the upgrade is complete, DO NOT HIT RESTART! Return to the Terminal window and interrupt the script (Ctrl-c)
    5. Open /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 in your favorite text editor:

[*]Now restart.

The system will actually reboot twice, with it successfully entering Mac OS X the second time.

Side note: I noticed my network connectivity was extremely slow following the upgrade. I re-installed the network drivers and BAM! Was back to full speed.

Following this, USB Audio was working right out of the box.

Video card configuration

The many struggles of getting an ATI HD Radeon 2400XT up and running are well documented on this site. Luckily, just this week a solution was offered by this excellent post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry972898

In summary:

1. Download the drivers installer and the app EFIStudio from http://nvinstaller.com
      2. Run the driver installer but DO NOT choose EFIStudio with the same installer (it will fail). Reboot.
      3. Run the EFIStudio app that was downloaded seperately.
      4. Press "Device Path" icon, write "display" into the first textbox and press "Get Path" button, press "To Clipboard" button, close window.
      5. Next to Device: select "Display" and the graphic card ("ATI Radeon HD 2400 ..."), and press "Add Device" to open the device configuration.

[*]Add the video device to the ATI driver. In Terminal:

1. Navigate to the driver package: cd /Systems/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/
        2. Open Info.plist in your favorite editor, with proper authority: sudo nano Info.plist
        3. Add the device id to the <string> element under the <key> for IOPCIMatch. The device id is the product id and the vendor id, which can be found using System Profiler.

[*]Still in terminal, rebuild the driver cache: sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

[*]Then use Disk Utility to fix permissions on the drive.

[*]Reboot.

And that was that! All was left was setting up my personal preferences and preferred software installs.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

-Rudy

6. Replace /plist/dict/key node value (default value is PciRoot(0x0.......) with the one you have in the clipboard (just select old value and paste it over).
    7. Replace every "Iago" string occurrence (you could find other kind of framebuffers like "Lamna") with "Megalodon" string. This includes every substring occurence of it!
    8. Press "write to com.apple.boot.plist" button to insert the EFI string in the system.

Search for the string "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"
If it exists, replace it with "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

Switch the Option and Command modifier keys
Select "All controls" for tabbing in forms at bottom of "Keyboard Shortcuts"

• 2 weeks later...

Running 10.5.5 on an OptiPlex 755 with a Core 2 Quad Q9550...

Using iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 DVD, I installed without issue and didn't need to select any additional components. Just have to make sure "SATA Operation Mode" in BIOS is set to AHCI. Also, BIOS A11 seems to support Mac OS X better than previous versions.

Used 82566MM kext from http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/ for the onboard 82566DM2.

Audio is not working yet, but http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64754 mentions our chip -- the ADI 1984 -- so that may work.

Vanilla 9.5.0 kernel runs fine and have been able to install official updates.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried to install osx on a sff 755 and can't get it to boot into the installer. I've tried both Kalaway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.5.

I've made sure SATA is set to AHCI. BIOS is A11. It's got integrated graphics although we did try it with an ATI HD 2400 Pro as well. I'm somewhat of a noob on this stuff. I've done two previous OSx86 installs before trying this one. I would have liked to post the errors that were spit out when the DVD was trying to load but I'm not in a position to do that at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Hello everybody,

See my signature for details. I use iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5.

I have a problem with my videocard connected with dvi.

I have read you don't have any problems and I want to look if I can find a solution for this.

I have exactly the same Dell Optiplex 755 SFF and use a HD 2400 Pro videocard. I have

used your guide to get a working videocard with qe/ci. The

problem what I have is that if I use a dvi2vga converter I don't have any problems with

my videocard if connected with vga, but if I connect my videocard with only dvi (without a dvi2vga converter) it looks like it is working properly but after a couple of minutes it goes black for one second

and then everything is working for a couple of minutes and then it goes black again for one

second and so one. Do you also have the same problem? Dual screen is working alright.

• 1 month later...

Bear With Here. I'm Totally New To This. I Want To Run OS X, But I Can't Afford A Mac. I Have The Dell Optiplex 755, Brand New Straight Out Of The Box From A Friend, But I Can't Get Any Version Of OS X To Load Past The White Screen With The Grey Apple. The System Just Reboots Itself Every Time. I Have Tried JaS 10.4.8, Kalyway 10.5.2, iATKOS v4i 10.5.4, iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 (With And Without The n_Force Patch) And Have Had Zero Luck. The CPU Is Straight From The Box. Right Now I'm Dual Booting Windows 7 And Ubuntu 8.04 Right Now. I'd Like To Add OS X To The Mix. Here's The Specs (Though You Probably Already Know):

This Is The Compact Tower

SYSTEM: Dell OptiPlex 755

CPU: Intel Core 2 vPro

RAM: 2GB DDR2 RAM

HDD: SeaGate 80.0GB Barracuda 7200 RPM

VGA: ATI Radeon P/N 7120035100G

I Know It's A Lot To Ask, But Does Anyone Have Any Tips? I've Read Through The Rest Of These Posts And It's Like Reading A Foreign Language... :blush:

Here's A Link To The Tower That I Have:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/304...tiplex_755.html

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone got osx86 running on a Dell OptiPlex 755 quad yet? I'm about to give it a go.. looking to save myself some time.

Thanks!

yup i got it to install nicely with grub boot disk and apple retail dvd installer 10.5 was then able to update via apple software update to 10.5.6 seems very satble

• 2 weeks later...

SYSTEM: Dell OptiPlex 755 Desktop

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160

RAM: 2GB DDR2 667 RAM

HDD: SeaGate 80.0GB Barracuda 7200 RPM 8MB Cache

VGA: Visiontek ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB DDR3 LOW PROFILE

Boot-132 w/10.5.6 Retail Install

LAN working with kexts from above.

Sound not working.

Video working with natit.(Dual screen - DVI + HDMI2DVI adapter) Full Acceleration.

All updates working fine. Except for built in sound making it an ALMOST awesome small little system.

i have one of these, and it works great except the sound. from what i've gathered, Azalia_ADI1988.pkg works from the leo4all disc, but since i don't have that and I don't want to download another 4.5 gigs, do any of y'all have it uploaded anywhere?

anyways, i used IPC 10.5.5 w/ the intel8255 for the nic and it worked w/o a hitch. plugged in an 8800gt, used the nvinstaller v.52 and it's working great! minus the sound that is.... onboard video did not work.

• 2 months later...
i have one of these, and it works great except the sound. from what i've gathered, Azalia_ADI1988.pkg works from the leo4all disc, but since i don't have that and I don't want to download another 4.5 gigs, do any of y'all have it uploaded anywhere?

anyways, i used IPC 10.5.5 w/ the intel8255 for the nic and it worked w/o a hitch. plugged in an 8800gt, used the nvinstaller v.52 and it's working great! minus the sound that is.... onboard video did not work.

give it a try: buggedsorry"

//edit: try this: http://rapidshare.com/files/240858832/Azalia_ADI1988.pkg.zip //

-> !! I did not test it yet !! Will have access to my Dell tomorrow :-)

Anybody interested in a Boot 132 for the Dell 755 Optiplex with ATI HD 2400 XT ? Drop me a line. I am searching for 1 to 5 testers...

Hi MoogDiesel,

Any chance of sharing your boot-132 .dmg or ISO file ?

I have a Optiplex 755 system and it is awsume.

All I need is a boot-132 ISo and I will have a dream machine :-)

thanx in advance

Vince

SYSTEM: Dell OptiPlex 755 Desktop

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160

RAM: 2GB DDR2 667 RAM

HDD: SeaGate 80.0GB Barracuda 7200 RPM 8MB Cache

VGA: Visiontek ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB DDR3 LOW PROFILE

Boot-132 w/10.5.6 Retail Install

LAN working with kexts from above.

Sound not working.

Video working with natit.(Dual screen - DVI + HDMI2DVI adapter) Full Acceleration.

All updates working fine. Except for built in sound making it an ALMOST awesome small little system.

I got OS X 10.5.6 running on my optiplex 745 at work. The installation went fine, I got sound, networking, etc. I would like to try to update to 10.5.7, but the last time I did, the system just went into a constant reboot. Does anyone know of a safe method I can use to do the upgrade? I had used iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 for my initial install.

I am also having a problem when ever I have to install an application that has a .dmg extention. The OS always crash with this kernel screen.

3617763248_6f2c45c9bf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
//edit: try this: http://rapidshare.com/files/240858832/Azalia_ADI1988.pkg.zip //

-> !! I did not test it yet !! Will have access to my Dell tomorrow :-)

Anybody interested in a Boot 132 for the Dell 755 Optiplex with ATI HD 2400 XT ? Drop me a line. I am searching for 1 to 5 testers...

I tried the generic Boot-132 and it didn't work. But I did try the iATKOS v7 and got it to install... no internal audio tho, and had to load the Intel82566MM.kext to get the ethernet to work. The basic video works (using onboard video, but only in 1024 mode), I'm getting an ATI 2400 but I don't have it yet. To get the internal audio to work (ADI1984), I've tried these and they don't work: AppleAzaliaAudio and Azalia_ADI1988.

• 5 weeks later...

:)

Thanks for all the help on this Dell 755... Noob here to the Dell stuff, MacGeek for years...

I got the basic [ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288 -> Download .ISO Original with project kexts (all your need is here - noobs try this first): http://www.mediafire.com/?uwd9dtttjfk

]

.iso to boot... and then used a Retail Leopar to start... I had to change the Bios to do the SATA stuff....

My results so far is that it hangs after it gets into startup... the desktop screen and the spinning ball... no installer, utilities etc...

Any help on that would be great. That is all I have the boot CD and my Original Leopard CD.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope this helps others.

-Scan