Ilife06´s garageband/Quicktime kills Rosseta

VooD

29 posts in this topic

I installed Garageband, and then It asked for Quicktime 7.04 to run, so I used the version included in Ilife06 dvd, and....surprise:

- No more Open with Rosetta

- No more Rosetta at all

- Garageband cpu usage is VERY high

May QT 7.04 replace Rosseta with an unpatched/newer version?

May Garageband use too much SSE3 and it get messed with Maxxuss emulation?

I used a fresh installation:

- macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg patched with JaS.1111a.Generic.Patch.Final

- Then replaced the kernel by v4.2b, installed Maxxuss patched Ati videodrivers and dvd playback, and finally Maxxuss tuning 1.1

The system is:

Asus P4P800 (i865PE)

Asus Radeon 9600 XT

P4 2.6 @ 3.2 Northwood (PAE, SSE2)

it doesn't kill rosetta, it just doesn't enable rosetta compatibility for the ilife suite. you can't run them under rosetta because apple believes (and rightly so) that you should have no reason to slow the suite down by running it under emulation. Why would you want to?? it's NATIVE now. that's the entire point of unibins!

multi-track audio software by nature uses a ton of cpu power, that's completely normal. Check it running the same song on a g5 imac and you'll see similar results, unless you don't have as much signal processing turned on in the older version (such as reverbs, compressors, delays, flangers, choruses, etc), or if the file format is less demanding on the cpu (16 vs/ 24 bit, etc) then the software won't tax your cpu as much.

DBK

I installed Garageband, and then It asked for Quicktime 7.04 to run, so I used the version included in Ilife06 dvd, and....surprise:

- No more Open with Rosetta

- No more Rosetta at all

- Garageband cpu usage is VERY high

May QT 7.04 replace Rosseta with an unpatched/newer version?

May Garageband use too much SSE3 and it get messed with Maxxuss emulation?

I used a fresh installation:

- macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg patched with JaS.1111a.Generic.Patch.Final

- Then replaced the kernel by v4.2b, installed Maxxuss patched Ati videodrivers and dvd playback, and finally Maxxuss tuning 1.1

The system is:

Asus P4P800 (i865PE)

Asus Radeon 9600 XT

P4 2.6 @ 3.2 Northwood (PAE, SSE2)

You didn´t fully understand me. After installing that, Rosseta wont work at all. In fact, the "Open with Rosetta" option completly dissapears from any universal binary, even in Xbench, or OsX calculator and you can´t launch any powerpc application.

And about cpu power in Garageband...believe me I work everyday with DAE workstations, and I´ve tryed Garageband in G5´s several times, and there is no way two audio loops could eat so much cpu power as garageband eats in my configuration.

Edited by VooD

You didn´t fully understand me. After installing that, Rosseta wont work at all. In fact, the "Open with Rosetta" option completly dissapears from any universal binary, even in Xbench, or OsX calculator and you can´t launch any powerpc application.

And about cpu power in Garageband...believe me I work everyday with DAE workstations, and I´ve tryed Garageband in G5´s several times, and there is no way two audio loops could eat so much cpu power as garageband eats in my configuration.

it doesn't kill rosetta, it just doesn't enable rosetta compatibility for the ilife suite. you can't run them under rosetta because apple believes (and rightly so) that you should have no reason to slow the suite down by running it under emulation.

^^

In that case, it could be any application now that Apple doesn't want people to run apps slower under Rosetta.

Yes. About garageband. Maybe it's because you have an SSE2 CPU? I think it might be becuase if you having only SSE2. . . and the iLife Suite is suppoed to be well-to-run on the New iMac and MacBook Pro that have SSE3 Dual Core CPU's. Do you have HT??

^^

In that case, it could be any application now that Apple doesn't want people to run apps slower under Rosetta.

Yes. About garageband. Maybe it's because you have an SSE2 CPU? I think it might be becuase if you having only SSE2. . . and the iLife Suite is suppoed to be well-to-run on the New iMac and MacBook Pro that have SSE3 Dual Core CPU's. Do you have HT??

good suggestion - I think you're right. I broke down and tried garageband 3 and it's perfect on my sse3 p4 machine on an asrock 915 motherboard.

Actually, every single thing that maxxuss and apple (hmmm... priorities might be wrong there LoL) have release have worked perfectly on this machine. It's only sse2 machines that have problems sometimes, and like you said, it's not meant for anything other than sse3 systems anyway. It's a miracle that maxxuss could hack together and sse3 emulator like he did at all - but really an sse3 machine is what's needed.

And I'm sorry I misunderstood the original post, and sorry that you're altivec is dead now! that's really odd. I'll remember not to install ilife 06 on my sse2 laptop I guess...

by the way, ilfe 06 and iwork 06 work like a charm - everything is perfect on my system. of course, I have qe/cwhatever plus sse3 so maybe that's why. having 1 gig dual 533 ram and a 915 motherboard doesn't hurt either. but this intel graphics chipset is really annoying low quality, can't wait to get drivers for a real graphics card in this thing!

Seems like the only way to run windows and osx tiger at full speed with dual boot is.... HACKINTOSH!!

I have a similar problem.

Fresh Install 8F1111 with Maxxuss oah patches.

Installed AppleAC97Audio.kext

Installed Maxxuss 8F1111a Maxxuss seed updater.

Installed iLife '06.

Installed Garage Band.

Installed UT04 (demo), Halo (full), and RCW (demo).

At this point Garage Band failed to launch saying it needed QuickTime 7.0.4. So I downloaded the Installer from Apple's website, and installed it. Now Garage Band works almost perfectly! The problem is that now UT04 and Halo are broken. UT04 displays a dialog and quits to Finder without an error dialog. Halo crashes whenever you try to begin/load a game. RCW still worked. The only thing I can think of is that UT04 and Halo need AltiVec. Perhaps the downloadable QuickTime Installer breaks AltiVec? Curious, I went through the whole process one more time, and ultimately got the same result. One thing worth mentioning is that immediately after installing QuickTime, I was able to play UT04 one more time. When I quit and tried it again, it stopped working from that point on (there must've been some residual element lingering in the cache during the first launch, which allowed it to temporarily work). Any ideas?

Installed iLife '06.

Installed Garage Band.

At this point Garage Band failed to launch saying it needed QuickTime 7.0.4. So I downloaded the Installer from Apple's website, and installed it. Now Garage Band works almost perfectly! The problem is that now UT04 and Halo are broken. UT04 displays a dialog and quits to Finder without an error dialog. Halo crashes whenever you try to begin/load a game. RCW still worked. The only thing I can think of is that UT04 and Halo need AltiVec. Perhaps the downloadable QuickTime Installer breaks AltiVec? Curious, I went through the whole process one more time, and ultimately got the same result. One thing worth mentioning is that immediately after installing QuickTime, I was able to play UT04 one more time. When I quit and tried it again, it stopped working from that point on (there must've been some residual element lingering in the cache during the first launch, which allowed it to temporarily work). Any ideas?

:shock:

Dang. . . I feel sorry for all that happened. But still, UT2004, I've played it on a iBook G3 900MHz, same for Halo. Maybe the QT and GarageBand installs modified oah750 and oah750d, or some dependencies inside the /usr/libexec/oah/shims folder were broken. Good thing I now know not to install GarageBand or QT 7.0.4.

Edited by New001

Installed iLife '06.

Installed Garage Band.

This is probally going to sound really stupid , but I expierenced a similar issue with a Kernel Extension. The problem was that it would load fine after one reboot , but the next reboot the machine would just hang , I was able to repeat this numerous times.

I fixed the issue , by deleting the Extensions cache and also repairing disk permissions through the disk utility. Hopefully this will be of some value to you , good luck!

You didn´t fully understand me. After installing that, Rosseta wont work at all. In fact, the "Open with Rosetta" option completly dissapears from any universal binary, even in Xbench, or OsX calculator and you can´t launch any powerpc application...

That's not true. In fact, most of all apps installed from 10.4.3 have to option to enable rosetta. Most of my 3rd party UB installs have rosetta options as well. The only ones that don't have the option are iWork 06, iTunes, iLife 06.

picture19rp.th.jpg

That's not true. In fact, most of all apps installed from 10.4.3 have to option to enable rosetta. Most of my 3rd party UB installs have rosetta options as well. The only ones that don't have the option are iWork 06, iTunes, iLife 06.

picture19rp.th.jpg

He's talking about AFTER he installing all of this and effed up his installation.

yes, I installed all this too and didn't eff up my installataion either. I have neither halo nor ut2004 on my hackintosh so can't speak for them, but my apple 10.4.3 dvd installed apps all have "open with rosetta" still there. only ilife and iwork don't have that which I would imagine is a choice by apple to not offer rosetta emulated operation of apps that don't need rosetta (run natively). That's what I was trying to get across in my original post, but the author claimed otherwise... I can't see his system so I'm not going to tell him what he's seeing :-)

But it does seem likely that the only apps affected are the ones installed by ilfe and iwork 06, as is the case with myself and another reader here.

I have no issues with other altivec enabled applications such as aperture 1.01 which still runs great, so it's not an altivec thing.

The suggestion to clear your extensions cache and rebuild permissions is very true - one should rebuild permissions after every install and should clear extensions cache whenever having wierd problems. That's just good use of your OSX machine and are commonly practiced techniques known to have worked for people in the past.

Cheers

dkelley

Ok, lets write it again.

After installing all that stuff, ROSSETA DOESNT WORK AT ALL, I CANT RUN A SINGLE PPC APP, and all universal binaries stop showing the "open with rosseta" option (for example, Xbench).

Tomorrow I´ll install again QT 7.04 to see if stop working after that and Garageband is not involved at al, and btw I´ll compare all the files involved in rosseta before installing and after.

I´ll let you know what happens :)

Ok, this is what I found starting from a fresh system:

- Installing Quicktime 7.0.4 (the one included in iLife06´s dvd) makes Rosetta to fail. Look this:

201:~ VooD$ /Applications/Fire.app/Contents/MacOS/Fire 
Segmentation fault
201:~ VooD$ /Applications/Frozen-Bubble.app/Contents/MacOS/Frozen-Bubble 
Segmentation fault
201:~ VooD$ /Applications/Logic\ Express.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic\ Express 
Segmentation fault

- Quicktime 7.0.4 DOES NOT change Rosseta files at all

201:~/Desktop VooD$ md5 ./qt/oah750
MD5 (./qt/oah750) = 156549c7fab51bd8f8a966596e91dc49
201:~/Desktop VooD$ md5 ./maxxuss/oah750
MD5 (./maxxuss/oah750) = 156549c7fab51bd8f8a966596e91dc49
201:~/Desktop VooD$ md5 ./qt/oah750d
MD5 (./qt/oah750d) = c6deda392032f02e3d7b23d9d672c49e
201:~/Desktop VooD$ md5 ./maxxuss/oah750d
MD5 (./maxxuss/oah750d) = c6deda392032f02e3d7b23d9d672c49e

So...It´s clear Quicktime 7.0.4 f***s Rosseta, but I don´t know why. It must be changing something else, but I have no idea what.

This is probally going to sound really stupid , but I expierenced a similar issue with a Kernel Extension. The problem was that it would load fine after one reboot , but the next reboot the machine would just hang , I was able to repeat this numerous times.

I fixed the issue , by deleting the Extensions cache and also repairing disk permissions through the disk utility. Hopefully this will be of some value to you , good luck!

Thanks, but that's the first thing I did after installing the extension. I did kextload and then deleted and rebuilt the extensions cache. After I noticed the problem I repaired permissions, to no avail.

I noticed something odd when I opened the QuickTime Installer package in Pacifist. A lot of the version numbers of various components seem to be slightly lower than those of the items they replace. I don't know how this relates to the problem at hand, but it is definately odd.

Silly me, is not garageband or quicktime fault, is just at some point of my installation rosseta was destroyed.

I´m going to reinstall again. I suspect the problem could be caused because of installing the patched ati and dvd drivers after having installed the tuning patch. Or maybe is the tuning patch itself what caused the problem.

This time I´ll check rosetta with every reboot while installing.

Sorry about all this confussion.

Edited by VooD

I´m going to reinstall again. I suspect the problem could be caused because of installing the patched ati and dvd drivers after having installed the tuning patch. Or maybe is the tuning patch itself what caused the problem.

The patched ATI kexts killed QE and CI for me. I asked maxxuss about it at the other site but he never replied before the site closed for reconstruction. I'm still using the Tuning patch, so it can't be it.

I reinstalled from scratch in this order:

- macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg dvd patched with JaS.1111a.Generic.Patch.Final.ppf

- Maxxuss_Kernel_SSE3-Emulator-v4.2b_NoNX_CPUID_10.4.3_8F1111A-raw.zip (I think this one wasn´t neccesary...)

- Maxxuss_SSE2_ATI-VideoDrivers_8F1111_8F1111A.zip

- Maxxuss_SSE2_DVD-Playback_8F1111_8F1111A.zip

- Maxxuss_Tuning-8F1111-8F1111A_v1.1.zip

Everything seems to work, but as I try more and more osx applications is it clear to me SSE3 is and absolute neccesity in order to get good perfomance.

Garageband still crawling, and flash or java are lot of times faster in windows than in osx86. In general terms, windows feels a lot fasters. Too bad I don´t have any sse3 computer here to get a feel on how good could osx86 be.