GMA900 with qe/ci

roflcopterguy

42 posts in this topic

I have got my gma900 working with qe/ci support. I followed this guide http://forum.applesana.com/52/6831/gma900-...tz-extreme.html, but if you dont speak spanish i will lay it out here.

docknotrightze6.th.png

1) Get the AppleIntel915.kext from a previous 10.4.x install DVD

2) Edit the Info.plist in that kext so that any instance of a 915 bundle or plugin reads GMA900 where 915 is

3) Replace the AppleIntelGMA950.kext with your now modded AppleIntel915.kext

4) Repair permissions on the /Extensions/ folder

5) Type sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES in terminal

6) Type sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0 in terminal

7) Reboot

After doing these steps, your system profiler should read that core image is hardware accelerated, quartz extreme is supported, and quartzGL is supported.

Congrats you now have qe/ci, but if you notice many aspects of qe/ci arent there ( such as transparent menubar, coverflow in itunes, spaces lags, timemachine lags, and everything is still choppy.

This is where my problem lies, how do we fix the fact that it is all supported but we still dont have all the features?

Please leave any feedback you have, no matter how off the wall it is, it may be the thing that works.

rofl

Thank You,

Anyone have any clue on the issue though?

Dealing with the angst of writing a half assed FireGL framebuffer driver for Tiger, I'd imagine that there are probably 2 reasons you're getting the lag:

A)The 64Mb VRam just isnt enough to process all of the complex animations in leopard. (Not as Likely)

B)Your issues probably lie in the fact that you literally just brute forced the hell out of this driver install and something in the 10.4.x driver is not interacting correctly with the new improved intelframebuffer. I'll take a look at the kexts when I get home tonight and see if I can come up with an alternative for you to get this driver straightened out.

On a random note I'm still trying to figure out what I did right,because somehow I installed Leopard near perfectly on my desktop with a base patched GM when tiger was so freakin impossible to install, and to this day has yet to work, especially with my weird hardware.

Good luck.

Yeah i was going with the second about the new framebuffer, so i replaced it with a old 10.4.8 gma900 package one, that did nothing, then i replaced it with a gma950 one out of the same disc, which also did nothing. Currently we are looking into modifying DiaboliK's alkor.kext to work with the gma900. Im not sure how to do that so realaly im waiting on someone that knows what the f**k there doing.

We also kinda gave up on this method becuase we have a feeling that we are just tricking sys pro into thinking that its enabled, which would allow things that are just looking for a yes or no(such as menu transparencies) to be active, and stuff that actually needs it to run (such as the blur effect on menu transparencies) to not.

Just thought i would throw that out there.

rofl

Dealing with the angst of writing a half assed FireGL framebuffer driver for Tiger, I'd imagine that there are probably 2 reasons you're getting the lag:

A)The 64Mb VRam just isnt enough to process all of the complex animations in leopard. (Not as Likely)

B)Your issues probably lie in the fact that you literally just brute forced the hell out of this driver install and something in the 10.4.x driver is not interacting correctly with the new improved intelframebuffer. I'll take a look at the kexts when I get home tonight and see if I can come up with an alternative for you to get this driver straightened out.

On a random note I'm still trying to figure out what I did right,because somehow I installed Leopard near perfectly on my desktop with a base patched GM when tiger was so freakin impossible to install, and to this day has yet to work, especially with my weird hardware.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info and any help you can give us. I would love to get my GMA900 working properly.

I think the

2) Edit the Info.plist in that kext so that any instance of a 915 bundle or plugin reads GMA900 where 915 is

should say GMA915 and not GMA900.

What we are doing here is using the 915 kext and MacOS bin (as "950") and using 950's bundle and 950's plugins via the nano edit.

I too got the Supported result for QE/CI but a 'corrupted' screen is shown in mplayer, Front Row is still black screen, Time Machine becomes white screen with the finder window in the middle, photo booth runs but I haven't set the webcam up (probably black screen too)

So no progress "binary wise"

Also I keep getting the error message (Intel915GLContext: IOUserClient inputCount count mismatch) thats fills all the dmesg and

MPlayer OSX - invalid drawable

Hi all,

Can anyone please upload the modded 915 kext file that works on Leopard here? I don't have a Tiger installer to do this. I just have Leopard. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could upload this moded kext =)

Thanks for translating it! Great Job.

Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: Also, Im kinda confused on step 2

"2) Edit the Info.plist in that kext so that any instance of a 915 bundle or plugin reads GMA900 where 915 is

"

What exactly do we have to do?? Replace what with what? .. I dont understand what it means.

Hi all,

Can anyone please upload the modded 915 kext file that works on Leopard here? I don't have a Tiger installer to do this. I just have Leopard. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could upload this moded kext =)

Thanks for translating it! Great Job.

Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: Also, Im kinda confused on step 2

"2) Edit the Info.plist in that kext so that any instance of a 915 bundle or plugin reads GMA900 where 915 is

"

What exactly do we have to do?? Replace what with what? .. I dont understand what it means.

In the plist of the 10.4.x file. there are mention of 'bundle' and 'plugin', you need to change it to match the ones you currently have in the Sys/lib/ext directory.

It doesn't work anyway. I get white screen for screensaver. mplayer just black screen. Something different in the bundle/plugin directory. Need some Xcode recompile or debugger to troubleshoot. more that us 'users' can handle.. Still waiting for April's Asus eee instead of the current one.

Hi Guys, can someone please please help me out, I've downloaded the extensions and followed the steps 3 times given by ROFLCOPTERGUY but my computer refuses to boot at the apple screen.

I have also followed the following steps but of no use. http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t889.html

My configurations is:

Chipset: Intel i915P/i915G

Southbridge: Intel 82801FB(ICH6)

Graphics: Intel ® 915G/915GV/910GL

Device Code: 2582

Please give me some ideas how to do it.

Thanks.

Not: I've also get the extension files if someone needs them pls let me know where to upload.

• 2 weeks later...
You can find the file (extensions.zip) in this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=72957

but I have not been able to make the trick work.. Anybody managed to?

I downloaded the extension.zip file, but I realy don't know what I'm supposed to do with the Info.plist of the AppleIntel915.kext file...

Can someone give an example of the modifications we have to do? Or give us the modified info.plist file... or the modified AppleIntel915.kext. I think it'll be easier.

I have GMA 900

Thanks.

I downloaded the extension.zip file, but I realy don't know what I'm supposed to do with the Info.plist of the AppleIntel915.kext file...

Can someone give an example of the modifications we have to do? Or give us the modified info.plist file... or the modified AppleIntel915.kext. I think it'll be easier.

I have GMA 900

Thanks.

Here the file AppleIntel915.kext with modifications :ninja: , and it's true this enable QE/CI in leopard, but exist really problems :wacko: on some effects in leopard, you can read all comments.... :D

Someone has that file AppleIntelGMA915.kext a version of tiger 1.4.8 or higher?

please u need this file

I attached AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelGMA950.kext from XXX_OS_x86_10.4.11 install disc Intel

Here at http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/EFI it says:

"Based on preliminary analysis of apple_hardware_test from 10.4.4, only the following device classes are handled and/or accepted by included EFI modules" and GMA 900 is included.

maybe i'm saying something stupid but i wonder if EFI emulation would help us in resolving our problem with GMA 900 on Leopard, something like fooling the system to think that it has a GMA 950 but to restrict the intructions only to those supported by GMA 900 in order to be somewhat stable.

Silviu.

AppleIntel915.kext.zip

AppleIntelGMA950.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop boot from Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 DVD

first time, it's take about 10' then hangup.

i have reboot but it alway auto reboot after about 2' when show Darwin boot loading..

My configurations is:

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427

CPU : Intel Core Duo T2250 1,73GHz

Chipset: Intel i945GM

Southbridge: Intel 82801GHM(ICH7-M/U)

Graphics: Intel ® GMA 950

RAM : 1GB 533MHz Dual Chanel

Please help me!

Thanks

Any more luck on this aspect boys?

Hey Scorpio123 i'm having the same problem with the same computer except mines a dv1331, everythings working but my GMA900 and my wireless. How'd you get the wireless to work and have you had any luck with graphicscard.

Please help

Thanx

I have got my gma900 working with qe/ci support. I followed this guide http://forum.applesana.com/52/6831/gma900-...tz-extreme.html, but if you dont speak spanish i will lay it out here.

docknotrightze6.th.png

1) Get the AppleIntel915.kext from a previous 10.4.x install DVD

3) Replace the AppleIntelGMA950.kext with your now modded AppleIntel915.kext

4) Repair permissions on the /Extensions/ folder

5) Type sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES in terminal

6) Type sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0 in terminal

7) Reboot

After doing these steps, your system profiler should read that core image is hardware accelerated, quartz extreme is supported, and quartzGL is supported.

Congrats you now have qe/ci, but if you notice many aspects of qe/ci arent there ( such as transparent menubar, coverflow in itunes, spaces lags, timemachine lags, and everything is still choppy.

This is where my problem lies, how do we fix the fact that it is all supported but we still dont have all the features?

Please leave any feedback you have, no matter how off the wall it is, it may be the thing that works.

rofl

Im also trying this i always get an error with the uuid... im usingthe TOH version of leopard. which version did u use so maybe it could run better on my laptop if i DL'd the right one, then replaced the GMA950Kext. thnks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

I have followed the steps but...it has QE/CI suported and acelerated by hardware...i have problems with folders/files coverflow. Is interesting that with de kext of GMA950 (kalyway instalation) i have a better compatibility. In fact, all works fine in Leopard except videos (no images but sound OK, coverflow, frontrow...).

There is not effective solution ;)

• 2 weeks later...

any update on this topic??

I have got my gma900 working with qe/ci support. I followed this guide http://forum.applesana.com/52/6831/gma900-...tz-extreme.html, but if you dont speak spanish i will lay it out here.docknotrightze6.th.png1) Get the AppleIntel915.kext from a previous 10.4.x install DVD2) Edit the Info.plist in that kext so that any instance of a 915 bundle or plugin reads GMA900 where 915 is3) Replace the AppleIntelGMA950.kext with your now modded AppleIntel915.kext4) Repair permissions on the /Extensions/ folder5) Type sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES in terminal6) Type sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0 in terminal7) RebootAfter doing these steps, your system profiler should read that core image is hardware accelerated, quartz extreme is supported, and quartzGL is supported.Congrats you now have qe/ci, but if you notice many aspects of qe/ci arent there ( such as transparent menubar, coverflow in itunes, spaces lags, timemachine lags, and everything is still choppy.This is where my problem lies, how do we fix the fact that it is all supported but we still dont have all the features?Please leave any feedback you have, no matter how off the wall it is, it may be the thing that works.rofl
So does this trick just enable QE/CI or does it actualy let us do something that we couldnt before??

any update on this topic??So does this trick just enable QE/CI or does it actualy let us do something that we couldnt before??

It just shows, that it supports QuartzExtreme and CoreImage is in Hardware Mode, but it does not work, players show white screen with sound, screensavers the same, games too, so its useless, back to Tiger...