Leopard 10.5.1 file protection deeper than: 'com.apple.quarantine'

shoarthing

4 posts in this topic

Hi - recently downloaded [Firefox, in Leopard 10.5.1] the latext netkas AppleSMBIOS, in a *.zip archive.

Extracted to Desktop, then ran

xattr -l AppleSMBIOS.kext

. . & on finding the 'com.apple.quarantine' extended attribute, ran:

sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine AppleSMBIOS.kext

. . after which, running xattr -l showed no extended attribute.

Then deleted the original & installed this kext, set correct permissions, deleted Extensions.mkext & the kernelcache.

On next boot, not only was it sloooow; but a little 'ghostbusters' no-entry image appeared over the Apple Logo, just before it eventually booted to the Desktop.

This persisted at next boot.

Switched to a Tiger install, redownloaded the same file from the same source, reinstalled from Tiger with exactly the same permissions, deleted Extensions.mkext & kernelcache . . .

Result a clean boot with no warning.

There clearly is a deeper level of marking downloaded files in metadata than it appears; & this seems to me to be even more a feature of 10.5.1 than it was in 10.5.0

Removing 'com.apple.quarantine' appears inadequate - does anyone here know what is going on & how to completely remove such metadata from downloads?

BTW: yes, I do know about this folder-action hack [doesn't work in 10.5.1] & this nice use of Launch Agent [also doesn't work, tho' pebcak always a partner here]. Here's an interesting post on the Apple Support forums.

BTW2: I've also noticed this same 'ghostbusters' icon overlaid on a copy of Transmission.app [also with the com.apple.quarantine attribute removed] which I'd dragged into the Applications folder - this appeared to persist for about 24 hours, but is now not visible.

It seems 'com.apple.quarantine' attribute is set for all the files contained within a kext. Have you tried this:
sudo find AppleSMBIOS.kext -exec xattr -d com.apple.qurantine {} \;

. . aha . . . that sounds likely [bar the spelling] :lol: . . . many thanks & will check it out.

. . but then why would this 'ghostbusters' logo overlay a downloaded *.app [with the com.apple.quarantine attribute removed] dragged into the Applications folder . . . ? I thought *.apps were blobs?

[Edit] this is what I mean by the 'ghostbusters' overlaid icon:

post-103618-1195477359_thumb.png

The weird thing is that in my case I used several .kexts that had the quarantine attribute without any ill effect for quite a few days, so just having the quarantine attribute present or not is not necessarily the explaination for a non-working .kext.