Dell E520 Leopard Install Guide -- ICH8R Working!

wmarsh

189 posts in this topic

Amazing this stuff!

I'm typing this on my 10.5.2 Dell E520!

One problem I can't get my head around: my NVidia 7300LE has 2 monitors on it (1HDI, 1VGA) and works in dual screen mode, but it seems to take the VGA as the first monitor (the one with the menu on it) and I can't get the HDI as the first monitor.

I want the monitors to switch instead of physically moving them.

Any thoughts on this?

Frank.

Amazing this stuff!

I'm typing this on my 10.5.2 Dell E520!

One problem I can't get my head around: my NVidia 7300LE has 2 monitors on it (1HDI, 1VGA) and works in dual screen mode, but it seems to take the VGA as the first monitor (the one with the menu on it) and I can't get the HDI as the first monitor.

I want the monitors to switch instead of physically moving them.

Any thoughts on this?

Frank.

open System Preferences, click Displays and under Arrangement tab drag that white bar from one screen to another

post-96681-1212093673_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Followed wmarsh's guide and then I attempted to update to 10.5.1 using the MacOSXUpdate10.5.1 from Apple.com and Leopard no longer boots, it doesn't kernel panic, just reboots without ever getting past loading all the extensions ( i cant really tell you which one because how quickly it scrolls)... any suggestions on howto isolate the problem?

• 2 weeks later...
Followed wmarsh's guide and then I attempted to update to 10.5.1 using the MacOSXUpdate10.5.1 from Apple.com and Leopard no longer boots, it doesn't kernel panic, just reboots without ever getting past loading all the extensions ( i cant really tell you which one because how quickly it scrolls)... any suggestions on howto isolate the problem?

What are your specs? That would help.

But 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 were pretty easy to install. Make sure you deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext. And if you installed on internal SATA, make sure you have patched for ICH8R support.

Booting with -v would give useful information. Booting -s -v might be even more helpful.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is how I updated to 10.5.5

1) Download MacOSX10.5.5.dmg from Apple (not the combo update).

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1055update.html

Backup working AppleHDA.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext

2) Open Terminal

3) Run the following commands:

sudo bash

Type your password. Hit enter. Then type this and hit enter:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

^ ^ YOU MUST DO THIS STEP ABOVE!!!

You CANNOT just delete it afterward. It WILL BREAK the install, and require a new install or restore from backup.

4) Mount MacOSX10.5.5.dmg and run the installer.

---------------------------------

5) When the installer finishes, DO NOT REBOOT!

6) In the Terminal window, hold the CONTROL key and press C.

7) copy previously working AppleHDA.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions. (With combo update, you have to restore AppleAHCIPort.kext too)

8) repair permissions for kext copied in step 7

(for the noobs) go back to Terminal window.

It should still be in superuser mode

Type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel ./*.kext

chmod -R 755 ./*.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

9) Now let the Update Installer reboot.

can I usethis tutorial to update from kalyway10.5.2 to 10.5.5?

Do you have the same hardware? And are you willing to do it stepwise (10.5.2 to 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 to 10.5.5)? If so probably yes -- and you will wind up with a nearly vanilla install.

As to going directly 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 will work with the combo installer -- I rather doubt it as both 10.5.3 and 10.5.5 had some significant patching to maintain support for ICH8R on Dell E520.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have the same hardware? And are you willing to do it stepwise (10.5.2 to 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 to 10.5.5)? If so probably yes -- and you will wind up with a nearly vanilla install.

As to going directly 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 will work with the combo installer -- I rather doubt it as both 10.5.3 and 10.5.5 had some significant patching to maintain support for ICH8R on Dell E520.

First, wmarsh, thanks for your posts. I've been happily running 10.5.2 on my E520 for a while now thanks in part to a post of yours.

I'm still on 10.5.2 and am also wondering about going directly to 10.5.5 - skipping over 10.5.3 and 10.5.4. You answered here that there was some "significant patching" for the AHCI. I'm wondering what was patched? And before doing my Hac install, I had disabled AHCI so I'm also wondering if that concern really applies to me?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I've been a PC user for a while and my friend always tells me how macs dont have problems, and he told me to use this if i dont want to buy a new mac. Now i have looked through the forum but i havnt seen a definite response on this, but i apologize if this has already been established but does everything work on a Dell E520? On the hardware compatability table it says that the internet isnt working, which i really want to try, but i couldnt find it here if its been fixed. So as of this point, does ethernet and pci sound cards work? Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...
Will this same method work for 10.5.6?

No. But I'm working on it and will post a fix as soon as I can.

The problem has to do with the ICH8R driver.

Best I've got so far is update installed, reboots once into 10.5.6, runs post install scripts, get mach reboot, then cannot find root device on reboot.

Hello all,

I've been a PC user for a while and my friend always tells me how macs dont have problems, and he told me to use this if i dont want to buy a new mac. Now i have looked through the forum but i havnt seen a definite response on this, but i apologize if this has already been established but does everything work on a Dell E520? On the hardware compatability table it says that the internet isnt working, which i really want to try, but i couldnt find it here if its been fixed. So as of this point, does ethernet and pci sound cards work? Thank you.

Onboard ethernet does not work, but I use a tulip pci card with kext from this site.

Sound works, pm me if you need kext.

10.5.6 is a work in progress still.

I have been able to update a test install on my USB drive using the dsdt method.

Using the AppleAHCIPort.kext in this post, I can access my 1st SATA HDD (Vista) but not my 2nd SATA HDD where OS X is installed

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1007597

I believe I will be able to update my main install by remapping the HDD with grub, but clearly this is suboptimal. Will attempt this soon.

EDIT -- swapping disks with grub does nothing. Still reads 1st SATA disk and not 2nd.

Sound no longer seems to work with the 10.4.10 AppleHDA.kext, which is the only one that has worked for me.

Ethernet continues to work with tulip.

The bottom line is it is probably best to stick with 10.5.5 for now.

[EDIT] Tried installing iPC 10.5.6 PPF5. DVD boots and installs, but get waiting for root device when booting installed system.

Did this in ICH8R mode with only 1 SATA HDD enabled, to avoid the 2nd HDD problem.

Restoring from backup and will think about it some more.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to verify the kext dr.vox posted a link to worked. My E520 is fairly old too, and I tried a lot of things. Very grateful.

One issue though, I still can't get my audio to work, and I installed using the iDeneb Leopard 10.5.5, so i don't have any Tiger AppleHDA.kext or ALCinject.kext.

So if anyone could point me to where I could download that version, or fix the audio on this version it would be appreciated, thanks.

Glad to hear it worked, Kenzedd.

I'm a little scared to try and use it myself — still not sure whether it was that which caused my Still waiting for root device or not. I can't see why it would, but it seems strange how I get the same issue after installing it two different times.

Try these audio kexts. Work perfectly for me.

so are you guys running your dell on 10.5.6? Has ANYONE (wmarsh) figured out how to do the 10.5.6 upgrade?

No. Dunno if you read or not, but as wmarsh said a few posts back, there's not currently a known fix for the resultant 'Still waiting for boot device' caused by updating to 10.5.6.

Used wmarsh's guide and help to get from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5.

My only complaint is that I don't have QE/CI support any more: wmarsh said NVInject.kext doesn't work for 10.5.3 upwards? I think the only kext which allows my 7300LE to give dual monitor output is the one I'm using: NVInject 512MB kext. :\

EDIT: This guide is really simple for anyone who needs to know where to insert their Device IDs and how to get their nVidia cards working, even if there aren't any readily available pre-made kexts.

20090128-d1i4m5nhdf8pxrx8xwt1eiqaiy.jpg

Full QE/CI, full dual monitor support, 10.5.5.

Ah, that's excellent those files worked great. Thank you, after ages of trying to fix things I just come to this thread and within a few days everything works the same as a normal Mac, and even better than my older ones. Props to wmarsh, dr.vox and anyone else helping on this, well deserved.