Dell E520 Leopard Install Guide -- ICH8R Working!

wmarsh

189 posts in this topic

Really sorry about the late reply!

Ah right. I have two more suggestions, but past that i'm not really sure what else you can do as we have different keyboards.

1) Check for any keyboard drivers (long shot, as it's a microsoft product)

2) Install a program called Quicksilver which lets you do keymapping. I actually used this on my old dell wired keyboard a while back, when the volume dial would not work. I assigned the Scroll Lock key and the Pause Break key to the volume up/down. It worked really well. This method is fairly simple as well, I remember setting it up in 10 minutes or so.

here's the website you can download it from: http://www.blacktree.com/

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone tried anything in the way of Snow Leo yet? Snow OSX? Or even the iDeneb 10.5.8 update?

Yep. Just installed iDeneb 10.5.8 update on my Dell E520. Result is "Still waiting for root device". Tried Dune's fix with the latest IOATAFamily.kext - didn't fix it.

10.5.6 was working fine but iTunes updated needed Safari which needed 10.5.7 so.... I used to have just iTunes broken, now I have nothing at all. Grrr...

I've been trolling through posts this morning trying to find a fix and I'm at a loss.

Wow, that sounds sucky.

I've not yet tried going to 10.5.8, and don't think I'll bother; I'll go to Snow Leo when I have the time and motivation (though I can't see that happening any time soon).

If you need any known-to-be-working kexts or whatever, just ask.

Not backed up/CCC'd?

Yep. Just installed iDeneb 10.5.8 update on my Dell E520. Result is "Still waiting for root device". Tried Dune's fix with the latest IOATAFamily.kext - didn't fix it.

10.5.6 was working fine but iTunes updated needed Safari which needed 10.5.7 so.... I used to have just iTunes broken, now I have nothing at all. Grrr...

I've been trolling through posts this morning trying to find a fix and I'm at a loss.

Tried blkhockeypro19's E520 install guide on a spare disk. Worked fine with my 10.5.1 retail disc. Upgrade to 10.5.8 and it failed. 10.5.8 just does not seem to be playing nice with the E520.

Restored to 10.5.6 and everything is back working again. Gotta be something extra strange about the E520's SATA controller(s), huh?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been AWOL for a while, but now I'm back with Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

Everything is working on my e520 core 2 duo 2.13Ghz with 7300GT card, but there still is one problem.

I patched the AppleAHCIPort with the IOPCIPrimaryMatch patch and it booted beautifully.

But whenever I have high speed data transfers (copying from hdd to hdd, program installations), I get a kernel panic :D and SL checks out (error in vm_pageout.c in xnu). Any known fixes??

On Snow Leopard: it's working like a charm (leaving the panic aside), it's very fast and needs less hacks than my Leopard install. On my macbook I can fully see the potential of Snow Leopard (funny... no kernel panics :D ) and have to say that it's the best 29 euro I've ever spend on software.

Damn, knew it.

Mind posting a step-by-step guide (preferably, or at least just a rough) of how you did it?

Don't wanna {censored} it up as I don't have much spare time any more.

EDIT: That is, a guide as to how you got SL installed. Which software, kexts, etc.

No idea as for a fix though, obviously. :D

Too bad... no known fixes :( ?

I don't have enough time at the moment for a step-by-step guide, but here is a rough sketch of how I did it (using multiple posts/guides etc.):

In short I did the following steps:

- install SL via current Leopard op 2nd harddrive

- installed Chameleon 1 with EFI 10 boot (download here)

- default SL kexts: Disabler, Fakesmc, NullCPUPowerManagement, AppleRTC, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID

- Added IOPCIPrimaryMatch from the 2nd post to the AHCIPortInjector (can also be added directly to AppleAHCIPort)

- compiled/installed DSDT with removed IRQs

- Installed VoodooHDA kext (wouldn't automatically load so I used login/logouthooks and a kextload script)

- Setup com.apple.Boot.plist with graphics device ID and boot UUID

- I also added the bootpartition UUID to the PlatformUUID.

If anybody has better luck getting the HDD's working without kernel panic, let us know!

Ok so I barely understood half of that.

I'll wait until you've got the time to write out a proper step-by-step guide (if you would, I'm sure the other silent E520-ers would appreciate it. :( )

or at least until I've got enough time to do a load more research.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am shocked to come back after 1 1/2 years and find my thread still alive. Personal issues.

Anyway, this method is obsolete; boot 132 method is better.

I now have Snow Leopard working and I am working on a Snow Leopard Install guide. I think it deserves a new thread, but I will link it here.

Some comments others might find useful:

Our platform is not that great for Leopard past 10.5.5 or Snow Leopard as SATA5 and SATA6 are not supported. I thought it was just me -- my install was on 2nd HDD on SATA5. But netkas mentioned this on his blog about pc_efi 10.4.1. Its a known bug. So you can only get your 1st HDD on SATA1 and your DVD on SATA2 to work. Our motherboard does not have SATA3 or SATA4.

Our on board audio works nicely with VoodooHDA.kext. The 32 bit version is easy to find; you need the 64 bit version for snow Leopard.

Tulip no longer works past 10.5.5. However, our onboard ethernet works with Intel82566MM.kext. Again, Snow Leopard needs the 64 bit version.

Tried blkhockeypro19's E520 install guide on a spare disk. Worked fine with my 10.5.1 retail disc. Upgrade to 10.5.8 and it failed. 10.5.8 just does not seem to be playing nice with the E520.

Restored to 10.5.6 and everything is back working again. Gotta be something extra strange about the E520's SATA controller(s), huh?

Our motherboard doesn't have SATA3 or SATA4.

Past 10.5.5, I cannot boot from installs on 2nd (SATA5) or 3rd (SATA6) HDD either.

Snow Leopard couldn't access the partitions on these drives either until I rebooted a few times, no idea why.

I used Vista to shrink the partition on 1st HDD, installed there successfully.