Dell E520 Leopard Install Guide -- ICH8R Working!

wmarsh

189 posts in this topic

This is the procedure I used to finally get Leopard working on my Dell E520.

The major obstacle is the install DVD won't boot. Several have reported not being able to install.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry508651

Requirements:

1) Install DVD (I used ToH RC2)

2) Working Tiger install (I used macdotnub 10.4.10)

3) Grub installed as bootloader (I used SUSE 10.3 to do this)

4) Darwin EFI bootloader installed on grub (Only v4 or v5.1 and up will work)

(Possibly optional -- without pc_efi and grub you probably can use your BIOS to select boot disk)

5) External HDD with 2 free partitions. (Possibly optional -- see post 4)

6) DO NOT Change BIOS SATA settings. Changing doesn't help anyway. RAID0 works in Tiger so I'm sure I can get it working in Leopard. (DONE :blink: See Below)

Installation:

1) Boot Tiger install. Use Disk Utility, Restore to backup Tiger install to 1st partition on external HDD. Rename this Partition TEST

2) Then use it to backup Install DVD to 2nd partition on external HDD. Rename this Partition INSTALL

3) Using Finder Go, Folder navigate to /Volumes/INSTALL/System/Library/Extensions. Delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext.

4) Using Finder Go, Folder navigate to /Volumes/TEST/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Edit com.apple.Boot.plist by opening with Textedit.

Add: <key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

5)Reboot into EFI Bootloader. Enter hex to boot off external HDD. In my case I enter 82 for 3rd HDD, your number could be different.

6)Once into Darwin, pick INSTALL partition (rather than TEST which will be default) and boot with -v

7) Install over TEST partition. DO NOT ERASE the Tiger install, or you will get stuck when creating accounts.

8) When install completes and system reboots, boot into Tiger.

9) Using Finder Go, Folder navigate to /Volumes/TEST/System/Library/Extensions. Delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext.

10) Using Finder Go, Folder navigate to /Volumes/TEST/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Edit com.apple.Boot.plist by opening with Textedit.

Change following BootFlag line: <string></string> to <string>-f -v</string>

Add: <key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

11) Reboot into EFI Bootloader. Enter hex to boot off external HDD. In my case I enter 82 for 3rd HDD, your number could be different.

12) If you use any nonstandard kext, repair permissions in /System/Library/Extensions/

I need to to this as I use tulip.kext to connect to internet. On next reboot, tulip works.

Remaining Tasks:

(I will update guide as I get these done)

1) Install 10.5.1 update. DONE (see below)

2) Patch AppleHDA.kext to enable sound. (Use working ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext from Tiger -- Taruga's patcher for Leopard doesn't work on our codec yet.)

3) Figure out how to enable ICH8R, which works in Tiger. DONE (see below)

Its really easy to patch your kext. See next post.

4) Reenable NTFS-3G DONE (see below)

5) Install updated Version of NVInject DONE (see below)

6) Once everything works, use Disk Utility to move install to internal HD. DONE

How to apply 10.5.2 update found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry624880

How to apply 10.5.3 update found here:

(Warning -- read carefully -- the ICH8R patch is broken by the 10.5.3 update and you can get the waiting for root device problem.)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry762068

To update to 10.5.4, just apply delta update (core 2 duo only)

To update to 10.5.5, instructions are here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry895502

Progress report on 10.5.6 available here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=#entry1007635

Dr. Vox has posted a kext he says works with onboard ethernet.

I have not tried it (yet) as my tulip card works well, I'd have to update 6 OSs if I change the hardware, and I'm trying to get 10.5.6 to work.

You can get it here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=#entry1050808

Karo reports he got 10.5.6 fully working

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1112346

blkhockeypro19 has figured out how to update to 10.5.6 using voodoo kernel.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1129268

I intend to follow their directions and will report soon.

Continuing with install Guide.

13) Upgrade to 10.5.1, either using software upgrade or MacOSXUpd10.5.1.dmg from within Leopard. Reboot, it just works.

14) Enable ICH8R. Proved to be remarkably easy, However none of the Tiger patches worked.

a) Using Finder Go, Folder Open /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

:D Delete AppleAHCIPort.kext and AppleViaATA.kext. They are old versions that don't load anyway.

c) Using Finder Go, Folder Open /System/Library/Extension/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/

d) Edit Info.plist with TextEdit. Just above the OSBundleLibraries line, insert the following:

<key>ICH8RAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH8-R AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x28218086 0x28228086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

e) Use Save As to save to desktop (You don't have permissions to edit directly), then move saved copy to /System/Library/Extensions

f) In Terminal, type following:

sudo bash

<enter password>

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel AppleAHCIPort.kext

chmod -R 755 AppleAHCIPort.kext

kextload AppleAHCIPort.kext

g) Again, it just works. FAT and HFS+ partitions on internal drives automagically appear on your desktop.

More To Follow.

Continuing with install Guide.

15) Enable NTFS-3g by installing MacFuse Core for Leopard, download here:

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

And updated NTFS-3g from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24481/ntfs-3g

16) Update NVinject with latest version (0.2.1), download here:

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

Delete old version from /System/Library/Extensions

Copy new one there.

Repair permissions, then kextload.

Only thing still not working is sound.

Unfortunately, AppleHDAPatcher17 does not seem to work with stac9227 codec, even though it worked fine in Tiger. Might have to wait for a new version. Will update. EDIT -- Pending a fix I put in CMI8738 pci card from my old Dell, works in both Leopard and Tiger. LATER EDIT -- Tiger kext works in Leopard, using it now.

Once this works though, its a simple matter to use disk utility, restore to install Leopard either over the Tiger install, or to a new partition.

EDIT -- DONE. Have Leopard on internal disk now, fully working.

I believe this would work without external HDD.

Instead have Tiger and 2 free partitions on internal HDD

Apply ICH8R patch to Leopard Install Partition before booting it the first time.

Then apply same patch to Leopard Test Partition before booting it.

It may even be possible to then burn the Install partition to DVD, meaning you only need 1 free partition to install.

I really don't feel like going through all the steps though. Maybe somebody wants to try it and post results.

Nice going! When I feel brave enough to attempt this I will try it.

For the sound - have you tried just installing the appleHDA & alcinject kexts directly? The automatic patcher didn't work for me w/ Tiger, but just adding these in to extensions and repairing permissions did. There's a link to them in my Tiger Guide.

By the way, what size external HDD is required??

Also, what is the importance of the EFI Bootloader installed with grub? Does Leo need the EFI Darwin (I am under the impression EFI Darwin is the bootloader that is on standard Macs, and does not need or use BIOS), or is it just that this is what you used? I have Tiger (no dual-boot) installed, and I just use the osx86 Darwin that works with PC BIOS. What do you think???

Nice going! When I feel brave enough to attempt this I will try it.

For the sound - have you tried just installing the appleHDA & alcinject kexts directly? The automatic patcher didn't work for me w/ Tiger, but just adding these in to extensions and repairing permissions did. There's a link to them in my Tiger Guide.

By the way, what size external HDD is required??

Also, what is the importance of the EFI Bootloader installed with grub? Does Leo need the EFI Darwin (I am under the impression EFI Darwin is the bootloader that is on standard Macs, and does not need or use BIOS), or is it just that this is what you used? I have Tiger (no dual-boot) installed, and I just use the osx86 Darwin that works with PC BIOS. What do you think???

Sound:

I tried the Tiger kexts directly as you said, didn't work.

Probably will get my old CMI8738 card out until HDA Patcher works for this.

external HDD:

Probably 8 Gb is minimum. Say 6GB for install, 2GB for install DVD image. That would be tight. I have a big one so I made 20GB partitions, way more than needed.

PC_EFI:

The multiboot feature made it easy.

You need dual boot to complete the steps, as you go back and forth to Tiger.

Plus I don't like to partition with OS X disk utility as it wipes the other partitions. And I always had a problem making OS X partitions bootable before EFI. You might be able to do it without, post your results.

Tonight I will try this method, only a little bit differently. Here's my rundown:

I will have only 1 HDD with 3 partitions (as I am not concerned about Dual Booting with a different OS). The 3 partitions will be named Tiger, Test, and Install. I will use eXtended Fdisk (from Hiren's BootCD) to switch between partitions. Here's the plan:

• Install Tiger (macdotnub 10.4.10) on "Tiger" partition
  • Boot Tiger install. Use Disk Utility, Restore to backup Tiger install to "Test" partition
  • Use Disk Utility, Restore to backup Leopard ToH DVD to "Install" partition
  • Remove /Volumes/Install/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext
  • Edit /Volumes/Test/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add:
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>10</string>

• Edit /Volumes/Install/System/Library/Extension/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add:
    <key>ICH8RAHCI</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Chipset Name</key>
    <key>IOClass</key>
    <key>IOProbeScore</key>
    <integer>2000</integer>
    <key>Vendor Name</key>
    <string>Intel</string>
    </dict>

• Reboot into "Install" partition and boot with -v
  • Install over "Test" partition
  • When install completes and system reboots, boot into Tiger
  • Delete /Volumes/Test/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext
  • Edit /Volumes/Test/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and change the BootFlag line: <string></string> to:
    <string>-f -v</string>

and add:

<key>Timeout</key>
    <string>10</string>

• Edit /Volumes/Test/System/Library/Extension/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add:
    <key>ICH8RAHCI</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Chipset Name</key>
    <key>IOClass</key>
    <key>IOProbeScore</key>
    <integer>2000</integer>
    <key>Vendor Name</key>
    <string>Intel</string>
    </dict>

• Reboot into "Test" partition
  • Upgrade to 10.5.1

How does this look? It's basically the same method except with 1 Hard Drive (Internal) and applying the ICH8R patch before installing and after installing. What do you think?? I guess the only question I had was:

Is it necessary to run:

sudo bash

...on /System/Library/Extension/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist from within Tiger? Can I just copy the file to the desktop, make the changes, and copy back over to the directory? I'm assuming since I'd be making the changes on a different partition it shouldn't matter. Plus, the partition would've never even been booted. Is this right?

Is it necessary to run:

sudo bash

...on /System/Library/Extension/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist from within Tiger? Can I just copy the file to the desktop, make the changes, and copy back over to the directory? I'm assuming since I'd be making the changes on a different partition it shouldn't matter. Plus, the partition would've never even been booted. Is this right?

What you are asking is do I need to repair permissions on install partition after I modify kext.

I would say probably yes -- my experience is kexts don't load if you haven't repaired permissions.

But try it and tell is. If it works, we all learn something.

If not, reboot Tiger, repair permissions, and try again

Ok, just a quick follow up:

I did all of the above instructions and got Leopard installed, but still cannot see my SATA-4/5 devices. Basically it came out the same as if I would've just installed Tiger on a partition and the upgraded to Leopard. But here are my findings with the RAID settings in the BIOS of the E520:

There are 2 options, "RAID Autodetect/ATA" and "RAID On".

Tiger (macdotnub 10.4.10) installs fine with "RAID On", it even shows my SATA-4/5 devices. However it will not boot in "RAID Autodetect/ATA", I get "Still waiting for root device" if I try to boot from the CD, and I get a kernel panic if I try to boot the OS.

As for Leopard, the exact opposite is true. I get a kernel panic (or "waiting for root device") if I boot with "RAID On", and it boots just fine using "Autodetect/ATA". The problem of course is that I can't see my SATA-4/5 drives, not even in Disk Utility. Does this make sense to anyone?

wmarsh, can you boot into your BIOS and verify you have the same settings as I do? Can you please tell me what mode you're booting each OS in? Is it possible that I have to reformat my SATA-4/5 drives in order for them to show up correctly? Please help, I'm soooo close!!

Thanks again!

I can verify my BIOS is in RAID on mode.

This is the same mode PC shipped in and on which I also boot Vista/XP/ and SUSE 10.3

Its way to much work to switch this in BIOS, and even more way too much work to reinstall Windows twice to use AHCI mode, so I never formatted any disks in AHCI mode.

And I can boot macdotnub install disk with SATA DVD in that mode. And can boot my Tiger install and my Leopard in that mode too. Cannot boot Leopard DVD in any mode.

And yes, both Tiger and Leopard see SATA 1/2 and SATA 5 devices. No 3/4 on motherboard and SATA 6 is open.

Do you and I have same BIOS? I downloaded 2.4.0 BIOS from Dell. Maybe you need to upgrade BIOS?

Hotmonkey, did you install OS X in AHCI mode? I know alot of posts recommend that. (I don't) Maybe thats your problem.

And if you have kexts that let onboard audio work in Leopard, I really want to try them. Can you post them here?

wmarsh,

Ok, upon going back and looking through my setup here's what I've found. I'm using BIOS version 2.4.0 (5/24/07). Now, let me ask you a question...did you actually have to setup a RAID?

Do this, when you boot the system, hit CTRL+I to enter the Intel Matrix Storage Manger. What do you see?

When I go in there I see that both of my disks (Port 0 and 4) are "Non-RAID Disk"s. If I try to create a RAID volume, it only allows the RAID Level to be "RAID1(Mirror)", with a capacity the size of my Port 0 drive.

Maybe I don't have a Raid0 configuration. In fact, maybe I just don't understand the Raid0 stuff. From what I am seeing here, neither one of my drives are RAID disks. How can I get them to become RAID disks? Do I have to reformat each one of them? If so, how can I format them as RAID disks? Any thoughts?

I'll look for the files I used to get sound working for you!

wmarsh,

Ok, upon going back and looking through my setup here's what I've found. I'm using BIOS version 2.4.0 (5/24/07). Now, let me ask you a question...did you actually have to setup a RAID?

Do this, when you boot the system, hit CTRL+I to enter the Intel Matrix Storage Manger. What do you see?

When I go in there I see that both of my disks (Port 0 and 4) are "Non-RAID Disk"s. If I try to create a RAID volume, it only allows the RAID Level to be "RAID1(Mirror)", with a capacity the size of my Port 0 drive.

Maybe I don't have a Raid0 configuration. In fact, maybe I just don't understand the Raid0 stuff. From what I am seeing here, neither one of my drives are RAID disks. How can I get them to become RAID disks? Do I have to reformat each one of them? If so, how can I format them as RAID disks? Any thoughts?

I'll look for the files I used to get sound working for you!

OK, we have same BIOS.

Ctrl-I enters RAID setup; both of mine on are "Non-RAID Disks" too. I don't want them to RAID -- I have Vista and Leopard on SATA 0 and am going to put FreeBSD 7.0 when its out next month. SATA 1 is DVD drive.

On SATA 4 I have XP, FAT partition, Tiger, and SUSE 10.3. I use my old IDE data disk in an enclosure to backup photos/videos and to hack OS X Install disks.

I never set up a RAID, and while I have repartitioned drives frequently, only reformatted partitions, no low level format of drives.

Do SATA 4/5 show up in other OSs? Could you have an SATA 1 cable instead of an SATA 2 cable?

Maybe you should plug SATA 4 into SATA 5 -- you could have a bad port on your motherboard?

Wow, that's so weird. Actually, yeah, my SATA4 drive shows up fine in XP and even shows up fine in Tiger (macdotnub). I actually don't have a SATA6, just SATA0-5 (and 2 and 3 don't exist).... so just SATA0, SATA1, SATA4, and SATA5. I've tried switching the drive to SATA5 and I get the same results. I just don't understand it.

Wow, that's so weird. Actually, yeah, my SATA4 drive shows up fine in XP and even shows up fine in Tiger (macdotnub). I actually don't have a SATA6, just SATA0-5 (and 2 and 3 don't exist).... so just SATA0, SATA1, SATA4, and SATA5. I've tried switching the drive to SATA5 and I get the same results. I just don't understand it.

Another thought -- what happens if you put 500 gb disk on SATA 1 and DVD on SATA 4/5?

Here's what I'm in the process of:

Creating a 100GB OS X partition on my 500GB drive and moving it to SATA0. Moving the 160GB drive to SATA4. Installing macdotnub on that newly created 100GB partition and seeing if the drive in SATA4 shows up. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I have been following this thread and really appreciate the hard work you guys are doing. I am a video editor and really would love to get this to work on my system. I have a Dell E520. I am just a little lost as to what is meant by "Grub installed as bootloader (I used SUSE 10.3 to do this) and Darwin EFI bootloader installed on grub (Only v4 or v5.1 will work)". Just curious what is meant by "grub" and where I might find SUSE 10.3 and Darwin EFI. I also have a decent working knowledge of Windows, but I am a novice when it comes to Mac OS. Also, has anyone tested CS3 or Final Cut Pro in Leopard? I noticed thedude9 mentioned that CS3 and Final Cut crash in the macdotnub version of Tiger.

I have been following this thread and really appreciate the hard work you guys are doing. I am a video editor and really would love to get this to work on my system. I have a Dell E520. I am just a little lost as to what is meant by "Grub installed as bootloader (I used SUSE 10.3 to do this) and Darwin EFI bootloader installed on grub (Only v4 or v5.1 will work)". Just curious what is meant by "grub" and where I might find SUSE 10.3 and Darwin EFI. I also have a decent working knowledge of Windows, but I am a novice when it comes to Mac OS. Also, has anyone tested CS3 or Final Cut Pro in Leopard? I noticed thedude9 mentioned that CS3 and Final Cut crash in the macdotnub version of Tiger.

Grub is the Linux/Solaris/FreeBSD bootloader.

SUSE 10.3 is my favorite Unix, downloadable from opensuse.org.

I am not sure that board rules allow a link for pc_efi. Google netkas.

I just got Leopard working; have not tried apps yet. But since its almost vanilla, would expect they will work.

wmarsh,

I don't have the kexts that let onboard audio work in Leopard, but I did the exact same thing I would've done for Tiger. I grabbed HDA Patcher (version 1.16 I believe) and then downloaded stac9227_83847618.zip (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=14569) and extracted. Then I drug the text file to HDA Patcher and rebooted....and voila! Like I said, if I did it in Tiger and then upgraded to Leopard it wouldn't work...however, if I just installed Tiger, upgraded to Leopard, and then patched it worked like a charm! I hope this helps.

wmarsh,

I don't have the kexts that let onboard audio work in Leopard, but I did the exact same thing I would've done for Tiger. I grabbed HDA Patcher (version 1.16 I believe) and then downloaded stac9227_83847618.zip (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=14569) and extracted. Then I drug the text file to HDA Patcher and rebooted....and voila! Like I said, if I did it in Tiger and then upgraded to Leopard it wouldn't work...however, if I just installed Tiger, upgraded to Leopard, and then patched it worked like a charm! I hope this helps.

Curious --

I also built kext in Tiger with HDA Patcher 1.16, which work in Tiger.

I find they don't load in Leopard -- msg was about wrong version of iokit as I recall.

HDA Patcher built for Leopard (1.17) creates kext that load -- but output device is not recognized.

Anyway, for now I put in my old CMI8738 pci card -- worked way back in 10.4.3 and still works in Leopard -- listening to iTunes as I write. I think the problem is in HDA patcher for Leopard -- at least reading that thread others are having similiar problems with kext that load but don't work with various audio cards. Sigmatel 9227 was better sound -- I'll switch back when problem is fixed. But for now am enjoying a fully working Leopard installation. :rolleyes:

I am way behind you guys right now, I installed mac.nub 10.4.10 tiger. I rebooted and my system just hangs: here is the read out:

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.02.23.11212006

Copyright info

Controller Bus#00, Device#1F, Function#02: 02 Ports, 02 Devices

Port-00: Hard Disk, SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P

(This drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS)

Port 01: CDROM, SONY DVD+/-RW AW-Q160S

AHCI BIOS installed

Intel ® Matric Storage Manager option ROM v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R

Copyright Info

Where do I go from here? Is this where Darwin comes in?

I am way behind you guys right now, I installed mac.nub 10.4.10 tiger. I rebooted and my system just hangs: here is the read out:

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.02.23.11212006

Copyright info

Controller Bus#00, Device#1F, Function#02: 02 Ports, 02 Devices

Port-00: Hard Disk, SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P

(This drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS)

Port 01: CDROM, SONY DVD+/-RW AW-Q160S

AHCI BIOS installed

Intel ® Matric Storage Manager option ROM v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R

Copyright Info

Where do I go from here? Is this where Darwin comes in?

Khunber: I found that those apps do crash in macdotnub and I don't reccomend it, but not in the uphuck 1.4i r3 release. I am actually a video editor myself, i work with after effects, flash, photoshop and the entire Final Cut Studio 2 suite. All work very well with Tiger, except I am unable to run compressor from FCS2. If you need help getting it to work once you make the jump to Mac, email me, I'll give you a hand. You should know, since i switched out of the windows platform, my real-time playback when editing, as well as export time is dramatically better. Also, if you have a geforce 7300 LE, you get full Quartz Extreme Support, which is really good for Final Cut. OS X just handles the system resources a lot better! About your problem:

Make SURE the Tiger partition is the active partition (sometimes called boot partition). Otherwise your system will hang as described. Also try resetting BIOS to default. Did you use my guide? Its written specifically for the E520 on how to install Tiger. It may help you, or you can start fresh with it. Go to: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry492646. I can assist you better, as this topic is about installing Leo, not Tiger. Thanks

Now I'm starting to get pissed. I switched my SATA Drives around and can install Tiger, however, when booting to it it freezes, COMPLETELY! At this point I'm beginning to thing that it's HDD dependent. Here's my setup:SATA0: 500GB HDD (220GB NTFS partition, followed by empty 250GB Mac Journaled partition)SATA1: DVDSATA2: Doesn't existSATA3: Doesn't existSATA4: 160GB HDDSATA5: EmptyLike I said, I can do the install fine (macdotnub), which I've done like a million times...but when it finishes I can't boot to it. It just freezes at the spinning wheel after about 5 seconds. I'm seriously just about to say F-it and give up. At this point I don't care about the 160GB drive, that's why I'm trying to install it on the 500. I don't think it matters that the partition comes after NTFS one, because I've done this before on the 160 drive. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? Vmarsh, wanna chime in?

On another note, I am able to install Leopard and get sound working, however, I have no networking. My WG311T doesn't show up, IN FACT, I don't even have a /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file. That's why I wanted to boot into Tiger first, network works fine and my /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file is created. I've been following the Atheros thread (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40317), but with no luck. Maybe someone can post their NetworkInterfaces.plist file here and I can create one.

I am way behind you guys right now, I installed mac.nub 10.4.10 tiger. I rebooted and my system just hangsWhere do I go from here? Is this where Darwin comes in?
Well I found myself at this spot too.And what dude says is right.It worked for me (installed to 2nd HDD) only with partition set active, and telling BIOS to boot off 2nd HDD.Before PC_EFI,

I couldn't get grub to work, and it was a nuisance.Installing PC_EFI to grub (which is easy to to entirely within Linux so OS X doesn't have to work yet) was the easiest solution.

Hotmonkeayc:

I agree with you the HDD issue is likely a hardware problem.But try switching the data cables, it might not be the drive.

As far as networking, a slew of cheap pci ethernet cards work with tulip.kext.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=6115

Some require editing info.plist. You can get used ones cheap on ebay. About $5. Read 1st review on this amazon site.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FA-310TX-100...t/dp/B00000J4L8

Sounds to me like a good use for one of your PCI slots.

Hey

Just wondering, what are you and wmarsh using for partitioning? I really don't want to pay $50 for iPartiton, and disk utility, gparted livecd & the diskutil resizeVolume command either format the whole drive first or don't support HFS+. Do you know of an app or a way that wil let me repartition without erasing the HDD?

Thanks Guys