- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Numberzz

Numberzz

Resident iPhone Expert

• Retired
  • 3,452 posts
While this was reported on Friday, I just saw it, but some hacker has installed Apple's new Operating System, Leopard, on the Eee PC. For those who don't know, the Asus Eee PC is a sub-notebook with Linux installed. It weighs just 2 Lb, has a 7" screen, 4GB of Solid Storage, a 900MHz Celeron, and 512MB of Ram. The reviews of the machine have been very good, but say that the keyboard is a bit cramped, and the screen resolution is not very good (800 x 600). The hacker did install Leopard, but downgraded to Tiger, because of the specs of the slow processor speed and the amount of RAM. It goes to show, OS X will run on almost anything.

Posted Image

Full Story

Prawker

Prawker

InsanelyPrawker

• Retired
  • 1,118 posts
I thought osx86 needed a processor with atleast SSE2. Last i checked a 900 mhz celeron does not have that =\

Killroy

Killroy

Deleted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
When he had Leopard on that bad boy, was the Menu Bar translucent or opaque? Just kidding! :D

alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,817 posts
he are a h4x0r, he made his own x86

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
It sounds like a hoax but its true. The processor supports SSE2. Full instructions on how to install Leo on ASUS Eee PC here:

http://uneasysilence.../2007/11/12654/

iMaurice

iMaurice

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

I thought osx86 needed a processor with atleast SSE2. Last i checked a 900 mhz celeron does not have that =\

I'm pretty sure it's a 900mhz celeron m, not an older, 900mhz celeron :D

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
am waiting for the sse3 Merom version of eee in April 08. Leopard tells me it needs 7.5gb to install. How are you able to install with 4gb? I think the QC/CE does not work for leopard!!! (GMA900)
Systemprofiler crashes (need div/0 patch), ical crashes (sse2?), no phtot booth (QC/QE), no front row.. etc. need GMA900 fix first...

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Modified install of course, without many apps.

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

am waiting for the sse3 Merom version of eee in April 08. Leopard tells me it needs 7.5gb to install. How are you able to install with 4gb? I think the QC/CE does not work for leopard!!! (GMA900)

Yeah! Customise your install and remove printer drivers, languages, X11...that already saves a lot. Then you can save more by manually removing localisations and ppc code, as well as unnecessary files.

I would recommend uphuck 10.4.9, it has great SSE2 support, works full QE/CI on GMA 900, and it's the smallest OS X distrobution around.

Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Insanely Around Sometimes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

It has a Celeron M ULV 353

http://en.wikipedia....age.2C_90_nm.29

homers

homers

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
He can get it working on that but I can't even get it on mine...

riws

riws

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts
Is there some screenshot of Desktop after Installation?

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts
Surprisingly, it has also been reported by OSNews:

http://www.osnews.co...rd-on-the-eeePC

Read the comments as well, it is interesting to know what the public thinks of OSx86.

kozlowski

kozlowski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Resolution is not 800x600, it's even less: 800x480.

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Yeah! Customise your install and remove printer drivers, languages, X11...that already saves a lot. Then you can save more by manually removing localisations and ppc code, as well as unnecessary files.

I would recommend uphuck 10.4.9, it has great SSE2 support, works full QE/CI on GMA 900, and it's the smallest OS X distrobution around.

Using Tiger is like going backwards.. like running Windows 2000, ME, 98, 95 on a notebook you brought today. not good enough for me ... hope some solution for GMA900

Danyel

Danyel

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

He can get it working on that but I can't even get it on mine...

I am using a Celeron D Processor at home. This CPU supports SSE2 and SSE3. I've installed and used Myzar OSx86 10.4.6 for some time.

Mac OS X Tiger may be a good fit for the Eee PC due to lower system requirements and support for CI/QE Graphics.

waradmin

waradmin

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Very cool story, but 800x600, yuck. No thanks.

goodtime

goodtime

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Very cool story, but 800x600, yuck. No thanks.

I agree that it's cool, but I think Apple's new tablet will blow the eeePC out of the water; especially if you can touch Leopard. :-)

gt

waradmin

waradmin

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

I agree that it's cool, but I think Apple's new tablet will blow the eeePC out of the water; especially if you can touch Leopard. :-)

gt

Without a doubt it will blow it out of the water, its an entirely different class of system.

niteman1969

niteman1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Sounds a bit silly I guess, but this thing has also had a lot of hacking done to it already.

The Solid State hard drive is non-removable as it has a bga type flash memory chip soldered
into the sata bus 82801 using some sort of proprietary sata to ide to compact flash converting chip.

people have opened it up already and found two available usb headers on the motherboard and
hacked in a stripped down 8gb usb flash drive to each one making 3 available hdd's to install
Operating systems on.

With the default xandros linux on the original hdd, Xp on one 8gb USB flash drive and OSX on the
other it could be quite a nice light little system.

The wireless chipset is atheros so im guessing it would work in OSX don't know about the sound
but probably a ALC codec.

Put OSX on this system and Kismac and it would probably be a mighty fine little wardriving beast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy