Any digital TV USB/PCI device that does OSX and Windows?

alepro2

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am considering replacing my Dvico DVB-t Fusion Lite PCI card with something that works in OSX while also still working in Windows. I had a poke around but only came accross devices that support one or the the other but not both.

So I am wondering if someone else managed to get their TV card working in Leopard and Windows, or if someone is aware of a product that supports both.

The ideal product would also allow me to use my Apple remote with Leopard, or let me use the bundled remote like an Apple remote (e.g. control iTunes/Frontrow/System Volume).

Thanks for your answers!

I've been checking into this myself. I've been hoping to find a cheap USB Digital tuner that will work with OSX in the USA. No luck so far. Here's what I have found. The Elgato Eye TV Hybrid for Mac is a rebadged Hauppauge Win TVR 980 . So if you buy the Elgato you can download the hauppage software for free and use it in Windows. You can also buy the Hauppage and use in Mac OSX but Elgato charges $80.00 for the Mac software download bummer.

Win TV Nova -T

Win TVR 900

Win TV Nova -TD

sold for Windows also work with Elgato software on the Mac.

So still looking for a cheap USB that works on the Mac.

PS I think your PCI tuner card is supported on the Mac with this software. Worth checking out. http://www.defyne.org/dvb/

Thanks a lot for your input!

I did stumble across the Defyne resource but found that Leopard is not supported. My concern is that none of my PCI cards show up in the system profiler which makes me wonder if it will work on Hackintosh at all.

The Elgato might be the way to go, but it seems this guys are out of their tree when it comes to pricing their products. I'll check into that though.

Cheers,

Alex

Edit: I just checked Elgato. The price for the software alone is actually 80 Euros! That's just ridicules.

The Hauppauge HVR 950 is being sold cheap for the Black Friday sales in the USA(Day after Thanksgiving ) Compusa and Amazon.com are selling for $59.00 with a $30.00 mailin rebate with free shipping total $29.95!! While this unit seems to be the same as the Elgato hardware it likely only comes with Windows software. It is listed as working with

Elgato software .They are selling bundles with eye TV "lite"software but not likely at this price. I going to get one if CompUSA has one left at my local store. The online Compusa is sold out but local stores show in stock. I'm planning on borrowing the needed Mac software from a friend.

I'm using the Freecom DVB-T USB stick with the Elgato EyeTV software (v2.5 3101) and it works great. I'm pretty sure it detected it as a Miglia TVMini so that might help you search for a compatible one.

Just check if you buy the software the key you get works for any hardware, they used to tie keys to particular hardware.

My Hauppauage HVR -950 arrived today. Got it from Amazon $64.99 with a $30.00 rebate in the future for a price of $35.99 ! Installed the Eye TV software hooked it up attached the small included antenna and fired it up. Wow this small stick really works! Great picture on every digital station (13 locally )! Analogue tuner seems weak or maybe needs a different antenna. Antenna is small 15 in tall so smaller then most rabbit ears. Not a big deal as going away Feb 09 anyway . Software confirms that Eye TV Hybrid and Hauppauge 950 are the same hardware. As can use either setting and same results and other choices don't work other then Hauppauge 900 which I haven't tested to see if everything works at that setting(I think it will). Anyway great price and works better then my HDTV box in the living room. It's the size of an old VCR amazing what they can down size these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI card, is there any way to get that working in Leopard yet?

I tried some other cards under tiger, but didn't have any success, however when i got this one my Tiger install broke, and I was too lazy to reinstall it and test.

I know PCI cards are hit and miss under OSX, but it's been some time since i've tried...

I have a Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI card, is there any way to get that working in Leopard yet?

I tried some other cards under tiger, but didn't have any success, however when i got this one my Tiger install broke, and I was too lazy to reinstall it and test.

I know PCI cards are hit and miss under OSX, but it's been some time since i've tried...

. . second post in this thread contains info/links you may find useful.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently bought the Hauppauge 950 (black) USB tuner; not the more expensive white (mac) version. I found that this card will work perfectly with a hackintosh (specs below) provided that one uses the current 3.0.3 version software. A certain green demon has this available. Previous versions of this software do not detect the tuner.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...