RTL8187 problem in Leopard

Paulo Greimel

89 posts in this topic

forassis again

tried installing the new driver for RTL8187B yesterday...successful install, yet the Realtek wireless utility just kept bouncing on my dock when i tried to run it and after 10 mins or so it lays there silently...is anyone facing the same problem?

update:

the utility could be opened now after another reinstall and restart, but i am having a hard time enabling the WLAN card.....how could i enable that may i ask?

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded the Realtek RTL8187 MacOS10.4 Driver 1309 from the Realtek site. Bought a generic 'WiBee' usb WLAN with an internal Realtek 8187 for $13.00. After a few searches online and a couple of no-go drives, this one did the trick. The Airport symbol in the toolbar doesn't light up (empty baseball field) but the utility from Realtek instantly saw my network, and I configured using WPA-PSK AES and connected right away. Kick ass!

I am using a Dell E1505 (3945 internal), iATKOS Leopard 10.5.1 install. Now if I could just get SLEEP to work I'd have a total Mac laptop.

One more thing-

The only issue I've noticed so far is that if I have the Realtek utility running and shut down it goes to the dimmed screen with the box in the center saying 'you must restart your computer' in five languages.

I closed out the utility and then hit shut-down and I didn't get the box, but it just hung up on the shut down screen with nothing but the wallpaper and the spinning circle of black lines spinning and spinning. HDD showed no activity for a while, so I am pretty sure it was hung up. I used the power button (held down) to turn off.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?

TikiTorch, I've got the WiBee too, and I can't get the new 1309 drivers to install. I get an "Install Failed" every time, even after uninstalling previous versions. The old Tiger drivers will install, but they won't work, of course. I'm running Kaly 10.5.1, maybe that's an issue. . . .

SilverZero,

Here's the link to the page where I downloaded the drivers:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...s=true#RTL8187L

It sounds like you've already found it and tried it, not insulting your intelligence.

It may be the install disc (Kalyway). I tried the Kalyway first many times, always with 'issues', since installing the iATKOS it has run reliably aside from the normal (known) problems. I am running 10.5.1, not really sure how to upgrade or if I really even want to at this point.

The only real issue I am having is on shutdown, since sleep doesn't work. It seems to shut down fine, then goes to the 'you must restart your computer' script. I power off with the button and it boots up like nothing ever happened.

SilverZero,

Here's the link to the page where I downloaded the drivers:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...s=true#RTL8187L

It sounds like you've already found it and tried it, not insulting your intelligence.

It may be the install disc (Kalyway). I tried the Kalyway first many times, always with 'issues', since installing the iATKOS it has run reliably aside from the normal (known) problems. I am running 10.5.1, not really sure how to upgrade or if I really even want to at this point.

The only real issue I am having is on shutdown, since sleep doesn't work. It seems to shut down fine, then goes to the 'you must restart your computer' script. I power off with the button and it boots up like nothing ever happened.

Thanks, TikiTorch. I did try the drivers. It might just be my install disc after all. Maybe I should try a clean install, and if that doesn't work, maybe I'll try another version. It's just hard to tempt fate - this install was generally flawless the first time, and I know it can go a lot worse. Oh well, experience is a great teacher, right?

I agree. I've reinstalled to many time to count, and the last time I got everything perfect and then hosed it all with a bad driver.

If you do get it working, the shutdown/restart bug goes away if you unplug the WLAN first, but I still want to try to figure out why it happens in the first place.

• 1 month later...
hmm is it for rtl 8187B??

the realtek driver dont work!

my stick is an logilink with rtl 8187b....

system 10.5.2

i found this :

Now you native monitor is now fully supportive with all resolutions!

! Onto the wireless internet. Once again on a different computer go to

the realtek website and download the rtl8187b driver for mac osx 10.3 - 10.4

Before we install this we need to delete a text because leopard will get confused.

Click on the hardrive and go to system/library/extensions folder and find rtl8187.kext.

Move that babey to the trash and empty it!

Now install the newly download package and reboot.

When we are back on find the terminal either by searching or unless you already know where it is.

Open it up. Type these. cd / hit enter cd /system/library/extensions/rtl8187bt.kext/contents

hit enter sudo nano info.plist hit enter now use the arrow keys to go up and down.

Find near the bottom <integer/>33161</integer> and change the numbers to 33175.

when done press control and x. Press y for yes and hit enter.

Done. If it doesnt show up already go to applications and click on the realtek app to connect to the internet!

(you might need to reboot first).

BUT NO LUCK :(

• 3 months later...

Hey, not sure what exactly you needed help with, but for a quick update, I've got a wg111v2 which is a netgear wireless usb adapter that is based on the realtek RTL8187 chipset. There are new drivers for it that work perfect with leopard, I've used them on 10.5 through 10.5.4. I haven't had any problems with an unreliable connection, so go try them if you still have driver problems.

Here is the link to the drivers. They're under the "L" section.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

• 2 months later...

I have detected a bug that's buggin' me the last months. The realtek driver worked fine, it connects, and I am able to keep the connection up for minutes. But, after some minutes, it just shuts.

Transmission shuts the driver ramdomly, after minutes or hours. I don't have the slightest idea of what causes the internet connection to fail. No temporary pattern. Even when I try to recconect, I have to restart the computer to make it work again. It's reaaaaally annoying. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how to restart the driver? Or to fix this issue? I think it may have something to do with flow control, due to the fact that I have transmission heavy loaded.

• 4 months later...
hmm is it for rtl 8187B??

the realtek driver dont work!

my stick is an logilink with rtl 8187b....

system 10.5.2

guys,

you might have RTL8187 L problem as i was

these what i did, i assume you've installed the driver.

1. load system profiler, seek for USB section, write down your ProductID and VendorID of RTL8187 Wireless

2. convert both values into dec (using hex to dec calculator)

3. open terminal, type :

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find out 33159 or 33161 or similar to it under idProduct.

just for whomever with the curiosity, this value represent the ProductID number in decimal.

replace this number by above ProductID you've got.

do the same to the VendorID just below the ProductID.

save it.

4. sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/RTL8187.kext

5. go to Application, run USB Wlan Utility , wait until fully loaded.

patient guys....patient...

that's the way RTL8187 are.

6. voila... USB Wlan Utility windows wide open, your RTL8187L recognized.

if it doesn't, repeat from step 4 by firstly do :

sudo kextunload RTL8187.kext

7. open System Preference --> Network --> + --> you may pick default name and edit it later.

yes, it shows up as "Ethernet" interface, but it's okay, you really could edit it later.

8. do any appropriate settings for your wireless networking parameters.

it should work for RTL8187 and RTL8187B too.

it's a good idea to make sure you know your hardware exactly. i need to open my laptop's back cover to know that i have RTL8187 L, because everest won't work for me.

the idea of those steps are,

there were a mismatch of values of ProductID:VendorID between the driver and the hardware we have, so we need to fix it.

that's explain why we could load the RTL8187.kext but we couldn't enable the device.

FYI, you could check your /var/log/system.log file too.

thanks to you all guys, you've made me see the world.

here are few information of my machine :

i have Clevo M540SR

Realtek RTL8187L

running iDeneb v 1.3 10.5.5

i've made "NO" BIOS setup at all.