RTL8187 problem in Leopard

Paulo Greimel

89 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

I think I might have found a solution to your problem.

I had some problems with Leopard and the situation ended up on installing iATKOS again.

At the time of the first installation, one of the first things I did was fixing Shutdown and Restart (which I did using Kalyway's AppleACPIPlatform and AppleAPIC kexts replacing iATKOS kexts).

This time, I tried to get wireless working first and couldn't manage to do so. Then, i forgot about it and fixed Shutdown and Restart using Kalyway's kexts again. Right after, I got back to wireless installation: installed the drivers of my signature (this might be important, as these aren't the ones on Realtek site), changed Device ID from 33161 to 33175, rebooted, disabled Legacy USB Support in BIOS, and that was it :blink: it just worked as good as used to do before.

So, it looks like the most important step that I didn't mention before is using AppleACPIPlatform and AppleAPIC kexts from Kalyway.

Step-by-step summary:

. Install the drivers posted at my signature

. Install Kalyway's kexts (attached)

. Edit Info.plist on RTL8187Bt.kext/Contents and change idProduct from 33161 to 33175.

. Reboot and disable "Legacy USB Support" in BIOS (if you have this option)

. Connect to your wireless network using Realtek WLAN CLient, open Safari and surf the web (hopefully)

PS: I also combined enabling/disabling "Legacy USB Support" with using 33161/33175 in Info.plist and the only combination that got it to work was without "Legacy USB Support" and with 33175 in Info.plist

I really hope this can fix your problem. Follow the steps and cross your fingers :wacko:

João

Kalyway_Kexts.zip

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

First of all, I'm using the Kalyway release, iATKOS didn't work for me, so I already had those two files.

Also the 1.5.0 driver in your signature doesn't work for me. The driver doesn't load at all (can't select Ethernet in network prefs)

I tried changing from 33161 to 33175 but it didn't change anything (I also tried with 33159 and it also didn't work... this is the product id of my wireless...)

I tried disabling USB Legacy Support but that didn't change anything either.

Since people that have installed iATKOS seem to be having the most success, I installed these two packagages from the iATKOS DVD: 80211.10.4.5.pkg and wireless.patch.pkg (from the /System/Installation/packages directory on the DVD).

It still didn't work.

What other files can be different from both releases that can be causing problems with the Kalyway?

Also, those of you who have it working, but actual RTL8187 device are you using? In my case, its an Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP motherboard... The wireless is integrated but is detected as USB in linux and windows...

Thanks!

Joey

Hopefully the new driver release at the end of February will fix this problem!

Ah, i see. Maybe it has got something to do with RTL8187b.kext dependencies.

My device is integrated but it appears as USB as well.

One thing you guys can try is to know which are the kexts that RTL8187b.kext is dependent of. Then I can attach the kexts from iATKOS for you to try.

Of course, the problem with disabling Legacy USB support is that newer keyboards and mice are USB. Wouldn't disabling the support cause you to be unable to do anything with that hardware until you got into the OS? (Like, getting into the BIOS, let alone changing anything.) Or am I confused here?

@SilverZero: I don't really know as I'm definitely no Hack OS expert (and even consider myself a noob). I figured out the way to get it working on my machine by trying everything I found searching this forum. Disabling Legacy USB support is the only way I can get it working perfectly everytime I boot Leopard :)

Either disabling Legacy or not every other USB hardware works fine, so I disabled it and didn't worry anymore.

I've yet to try the above method. I'm currently downloading 10.5.2 update, and supposedly it might fix the problem. I'll get back to you and let you all know if anything happens.

::UPDATE::

Software update crashed about 30% in with a kernel panic, now I'm totally f*cked, seems like I'll have to reinstall Kaly.

i have the same problems as you guys, ie realtek driver doesn't work, disconnects after 5 seconds....blah blah.

however, fyi, updating to 10.5.2 DOES NOT resolve this problem (not for me at least). i've installed 10.5.2 using kalyway's comboupdater with new vanilla kernels.

no help whatsoever.

Guest BuildSmart

If you have the RealTek RTL8187B USB wireless adapter (any brand - buildt-in included), please post your product and vendor ID along with the details so that I can ensure a driver is available to meet your requirement and offer the greatest compatibility.

Guest BuildSmart

Can you please post the vendor and product ID along with the manufacturer so that I can ensure a driver is available that meets your requirements and I don't have to figure out which ID's belong to which device as I code for each specific manufacturer.

Yeah I guess that's what I'll have to do.... I can't wait to finally get it to work, as then I think I'll switch to using OSX full time...

The only thing else that doesn't work is my M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card.... but it doesn't look like I'll ever get it to work anyway... unless someone creates a driver for it...

Thanks for the help anyway!

Joey

hi darix here..

Hey guys...im using a usb wireless dongle and its based on the rtl8187 and i get the same...comes on then seconds later goes off.but i plug it in and out and then i get a stable connection...that me till i reboot or it decides to freeze.

ive a steady connection now like. which is good..i was able to download all my hotmail in entourage which is like a microsoft outlook

got office 2008 which looks good...

aperture 1.5 wasnt working with leopard and the update to 1.5.6 wasnt working either...so i was able to download the full 1.5.6 of aperture and it worked no problem ..yippee

i just need to get it to recognise my ata sata raid card pci...so as to get my other 2 hard drives.

i hope a fix comes soon for rtl8187....but for now i am pleased that as least it gives a stable connection at some point

ctacha laterzzz

• 2 weeks later...

Here was my solution for the RTL8187: go buy a $30 Dynex DX-BNBC from Best Buy, get your PC Card reader to work (there are a bunch of threads, just have to find them), edit IO80211.kext (is that the full name?) to include your device ID, then you're all set. You then have a Airport Extreme card for $30.

--but yeah, you have to wait on Realtek for the RTL8187. They should totally make drivers that allow it to be recognized as an airport extreme card so that you don't have to use that crappy utility.

forassis here....

i did a kalway installation (10.5.1) with ASUS P5K Deluxe..everything works fine except for

-the ports at the front panel, and

-RTL8187B, that wireless adapter

I've tried to install the older driver, but shared the same fate as most of you, it didn't work;

i've downloaded the new driver from realtek, which Gordonj said it works perfectly, but it wouldn't even install right...all it gave me was "an unknown error" and a yellow triangle with a huge exclaimation mark inside.

in short, what didn't go right remains to go wrong.

Did anyone with the same mobo try the new driver and succeded? if you're one, please share with us how you managed to get the wireless adapter to work.

Here was my solution for the RTL8187: go buy a $30 Dynex DX-BNBC from Best Buy, get your PC Card reader to work (there are a bunch of threads, just have to find them), edit IO80211.kext (is that the full name?) to include your device ID, then you're all set. You then have a Airport Extreme card for $30.

--but yeah, you have to wait on Realtek for the RTL8187. They should totally make drivers that allow it to be recognized as an airport extreme card so that you don't have to use that crappy utility.

You can returned while you can....

The driver is now working...on Leo and Tiger...

I'm back, and to deliver good news. My RTL8187 is working no problem!!

I was in the same boat as you guys, connection would always drop after a few seconds, so I had to resolve to something else cause my built-in wireless never worked. So when 10.5.2 came out I was uber eager to install it, that ended up f*cking up my whole system, so I had to clean install. Eventually I found myself with a clean install and an upgrade to 10.5.2. Then I installed the Realtek driver and it just seemed to work! I do have my USB Legacy disabled in BIOS, but I'm not sure if it plays a role. It's the same as before, but no drops in connectivity.

I don't know what exactly I did this time to get it to work, but it just does. Good luck!

hi darix here...

good to hear...but how did you update to 10.5.2. i have 10.5.1 or do you have an actual mac not hackintosh?

could you show me how to update to 10.5.2 if you have a hackintosh im using iaktos v1.0i version

thanks!