RTL8187 problem in Leopard

Paulo Greimel

89 posts in this topic

Hi folks, last weekend I installed Leopard (clean install). Everything worked fine, but my wireless adapter (RTL8187), that worked fine in Tiger with Realtek drivers, isn't working. After installing the driver and rebooting it founds the right wireless network, connects (I use static IP, not DHCP) but disconnects after a few seconds. And it looks completely random, yeah, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Some other people are having the same problem as I noticed here and here. We will certainly find a solution for this, maybe It is just a small bug.

Paulo

P.S. I e-mailed realtek but I got no answer and I am checking the drivers page daily.

It looks likes the connection gets stable when the network is unstable. Yesterday my home network was very unstable (none of my pcs with windows could maintain a stable connection) and my leopard machine found and stayed connected, but I wasn't able to surf the net. I'll try something more until the end of the day. I have a test tomorrow in school and I'll be studying...

Cheers

Hi! I also own a 8139 PCI-card and it works perfectly for me in leopard. But my buddy is having this problem tho he is running exactly the same install (a backup of mine) and the same card as me. He also had the same problem with another intel ethernet card that also worked perfectly for me.

please post here if anyone finds a solution.

boot -v to see if your NIC is flowcontrol disabled? If it is modify your ethernet setting to manual with duplex only (no flow control) in system preference to see if it helps.

I checked and the only messages that appear are: "rtl8187:enable<--" and "rtl8187:MAC Adress Here (just shows my MAC address)", and I have no idea on how to set this, but I'll try. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Paulo

OK, I think there is no way, we'll have to wait for new drivers. Another user said that the wireless card isn't able to get an IP adress, so it self assigns one and the connection is dropped. Crappy realtek driver, hope they'll release anything soon, have e-mailed them again :P . But got no answer.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I have e-mailed Realtek many times but I got no answer. Maybe my messages just went to their spam folder... Some lucky person should try and see if they can tell us something. Because if they won't provide drivers anymore, I'll quit on Leopard and go back to Tiger. But I hope they will release an upgraded driver soon. :) What I mean is... forget it, just look here.

I seem to have the same problem using Realtek WLAN Client Utility in Leopard 10.5.1, after an OS boots it holds the connection for a few seconds and then drops it. My device is RTL8187.

I also have a D-Link DWL-G122 laying around, so I tried it using drivers from Ralinktech, but no luck as well.

Any kind of help would be nice.

::UPDATE::

D-Link DWL-G122 is working at my house, using DHCP. I'm using Leopard's Safari right now. Sweet!!

• 2 weeks later...
The new beta of 10.5.2 is already on ADC, nothing new here, it doesn't seem to have fixed the wi-fi problem. That final release is taking very long...

RTL8187B works, just go on NETWORK PREFERENCES and then,

Select by pressing + ethernet all entries, restart the PC and the card WIFI works.

After you can assign an IP manually if necessary