Mac Applications to make use of TPM?

autoy

8 posts in this topic

According to reports from MacDailynews, cracked OSX86 builds will not run TPM protected applications beacause of that same TPM checking removal.

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/webl..._mean_much_now/

Original article from eweek:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,,1849870,00.asp

This news is old, I know but has there been any reports of apps using TPM protection?

Edited by autoy

That may be the case, but why would a software house implement the TPM protection? The only thing it would serve to do is reduce the number of potential units they can sell. It makes some sense for Apple to use it to try and lock the OS to their hardware, but for other softcos... I don't see the logic.

/drdaz

I haven't heard of any to date and I have to agree, why would software developers want to add complexity to their code?

In 2003 a new version of one of my favourite PC applications came out. I knew a developer and had played with a pre-release beta; it was really good. When the full version hit the streets it was ridiculed for running like a dog with three legs. My developer friend couldn't understand it because they had no problems in the lab and my beta was fine too. Turned out that the constant calls to the USB dongle in the retail version were killing the app. They revised it to a couple of calls on initialisation and an occasional check and all was fixed. The two points I'm making are that software protection comes with a performance hit that no-one wants, and if a software house uses its own protection scheme it has full control over it.

I think that most 3rd party software houses will ignore the TPM. Sure they want copy protection but with something they can control, like a dongle or LM system. They won't want to rely on Apple who can change the hardware platform at the drop of a hat.

Quote - "Very clever, Mr Bond!"

In order to protect my German developer friend, I can't say which of the Steinberg applications was the one in question... :D I think I just gave it away... :dev: Well, they all work for Yamaha now anyway!

Lol Metrogirl...now you'll have the Steinberg lawers on your back too :D

I know what your talking about...and even know, Cubase is still a pretty big resource hog. Still trying to learn the ropes, and get a pretty decent sounding recording.