Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Hello!

I've some problems with my X3100 Laptop too.

My system often freezes while booting just before the desktop should appear. Sometimes i get the blue screen, mostly the blue screen with some thin lines and a black block (like in post #161).

But when the machine is cold (switched off for some hours) then it boots absolutely normal!!! In this case I have full QE/CI support in native screen resolution 1280x800!

Please look at my former post with screenshots:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103339

What informations should i provide and is usefull for solving this problem? I read the logfiles, but found no hint what is going wrong.

Please excuse typos...

thx!

We have basically same situation, except my machine never boot-up with QE/CI. I guess you can try some other version of drivers. Mine only work with Natit.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, with version 1.5.18 (which comes with Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD). I tried to update with Leopard graphics update 1.0, which have same kext but higher version (1.5.24 or higher), then it fails to boot.

I'll attach the older kext, just in case it helps you.

gmax3100.zip

Need some advice here, I changed the Natit from the one I found in one of the X3100 threads, I installed Leopard Graphics Update, now in the beginning my screen would go black after booting, after the Update it stays blue, Natit wont help it boot. Any ideas, the laptops a SZ680N

I'll attach the older kext, just in case it helps you.

I was successful! My notebook now doesen't hang at boot any more :-) It always boots correctly and displays the desktop in 1280x800 with QE/CI!

The working setup for me is:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext - 1.5.24 - from the graphics update

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext - 1.5.18 - from simcolor - thx!!!

Natit.kext - from simcolor

SwitchResX

:-) Now I'll try this also on my 2nd installlation on an USB drive...

hi to everyone

i'm noob right now, so please, somebody...

write hire step by step - how to run X3100 correctly! (sony vaio)

Processor - Intel® Core2 Duo Mobile

Processor Speed - 1.83GHz

Graphics - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 ( :thumbsup_anim:)

Networking - Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking - Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless network connection (802.11b/g)

I was successful! My notebook now doesen't hang at boot any more :-) It always boots correctly and displays the desktop in 1280x800 with QE/CI!

The working setup for me is:

SwitchResX

:-) Now I'll try this also on my 2nd installlation on an USB drive...

Yeehoo! My machine is working sweetly too! The thing I am using is like Segomo,

And in my case , I also need those following stuff from apple update, with version 1.5.24

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

Haha, finally! Thanks Segomo

I finally got my d630 going with QE/CI.

Ill take some screenshots here in a bit when I figure out my network.

• iAtkos 2.0i install
  • Graphics Update - not deleting anything.
  • The only extra kext I have in there is a Natit.kext from previous attempts.

And in my case , I also need those following stuff from apple update, with version 1.5.24

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

Haha, finally! Thanks Segomo

Your welcome!

I'm using them too.

My external display also works fine. I've connected my 42" TV (1920x1080) via VGA cable and used MPlayer OS X with the option "force fullscreen on external monitor". It works with a resolution of 1400x1050. At higher resolution it does not sync and only displays a black screen, but that could be a result of the analog VGA connection...

For all with not yet working X3100: Keep on trying! Good luck!

SUCCESSS!!!

The Attached File is Compressed

If Your Device ID Differs From This one Simply Edit It to Match i Guess

Also, you MUST (Unless Your Works Without it) Use a Corner of Your Screen to "Sleep Display"

THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE REBOOTING TO ENABLE KEXTS!!!

Dont Forget To Repair Permissions!!

If This Doesnt Work The First Time, then Install the Graphics Update First and then

Install The 2 Files (Natit.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext ) from simcolor and THEN!! restart

[EDIT]:

Install the graphics update first, DONT RESTART!!, then install Natit.Kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext files

found on this post or in a previous post from simcolor with kext helper and then REPAIR PERMISSIONS and then restart

use -f to force reload files.

then when system boots, and display goes blue to black, like the other guides say, drag your mouse to the corner

you set for "Sleep display, then move it back acrosss the screen. and the screen wakes with full QE/CI

[/EDIT]

Natit.kext - From simcolor ( Kext v? )

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext - From simcolor ( Kext 1.5.18)

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

This Works On My Dell Inspiron 1420 With

Intel GMA X3100

Device ID: 0x2A02

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Revision ID: 0x000c

Working With CI/QE

AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip

[EDIT]: I AM NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE FOUND THE "SLEEP WAKE TRICK"

Only a way to get it working on some Dells that dont have it working fully

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]

This Still Works With 10.5.3

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]

This Still Remains Working With 10.5.4

[/EDIT]

Everyone-

I was able to get the internal monitor working at 95% (only reason i put it at 95% is because i have to wake it to get it to work)

The steps that i took are following:

Install the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAFB.kext along with the Natit from Errandwolfe's link above.

If you have a Dell D630 - copy the string from his com.Boot.plist and paste into yours.

Go into system preference, open up expose and spaces, then set one of your corners to sleep display

Reboot...

Once you reboot your screen will go completely black, now blindly trace your mouse over to whichever corner you chose for the sleep corner, and then move it back to the middle to wake the monitor and....Voila! C'est Magnifique!

1440X900 is gorgeous...

After checking the System Profiler you will notice that you are full funcitonal with you QE/CI fully enable!

Woo Hoo...i know this isn't the best but it is damn better than where we were three days ago.

Now does anyone have an answer for the Sound on this damn thing? I believe the Dell D630's have Sigmatel 9205.

Hi Everyone, I just follow this post and get my D630 worked at 1280 resolution, but as ejlax said I have to move bindly mouse to wake up it at bootup. So far I am not fully read to the end of this thread, if anyone has known how to resolve this problem, can please tell me which thread or who post on this forum so that I find out the solution? thank.

Another problem is that the MacOS will sleep after idle and can't be waken up, is the Sleep_Fix.zip fixing this issue? I haven't tried but later I will.

So far besides these mentioned and BCM5755 NIC, my MacOS runs on D630 well, nice :)

So mates, has anyone been able to get this to work on a Dell XPS system, perhaps an m1330 specifically?

I tried the graphics update last night but it went to the blue screen and powered off. I'm sure if I remove the x3100 kexts it'll work in VESA mode though. I'd love to have 1280x800 resolution so I'll continue to try and sort this out with advice from this forum.

Cheers.

EDIT: Still, not working.

Got my X3100 in my Thinkpad R61 working follwoing proosje's way. Native Res, Full QE/CI

It is so easy.

1. remove all AppleIntelGMA*, Natit and NVDA*

2. Install Graphic Update 1.o from apple.

3.Before restart, remove all AppleIntelGMA950*

4.Restart

That is it.

SUCCESSS!!!

Also, you MUST (Unless Your Works Without it) Use a Corner of Your Screen to "Sleep Display"

If This Doesnt Work The First Time, then Install the Graphics Update First and then

Install The 2 Files (Natit.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext ) from simcolor and THEN!! restart

[EDIT]:

Install the graphics update first, DONT RESTART!!, then install Natit.Kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext files

found on this post or in a previous post from simcolor with kext helper and then REPAIR PERMISSIONS and then restart

then when system boots, and display goes blue to black, like the other guides say, drag your mouse to the corner

you set for "Sleep display, then move it back acrosss the screen. and the screen wakes with full QE/CI

[/EDIT]

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

Intel GMA X3100

Working With CI/QE

AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip

THANK YOU SIR, :thumbsup_anim:

This works a treat on my Leo4allV2 using cpus=1 on a Toshiba Satellite L45-S7423 With Netkas 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel. No matter what I did I would get a white screen with a faded black stripe on the right side of the screen after booting. I now have 1280*800 res with QE/CI and Sound, On board NIC, USB ports ALL WORKING!!!

Now I just need to get Wifi to work.

Thanks again AJ.Allen for putting this together.:)

My 2cents,

Previously i had this problem solved by running a program SwitchRes(i had to set the frequency to 60Hz) and then doing a Apple Graphics Update, it works!

After 10.5.3 update, I had a n issue that my original AppleSMBIOS.kext was giving me the "normal" error and after using Netkas's the screen stayed blue!? then i removed the kexts and SwitchRes and decided to give your method a try! Now, understand that I'm not a Noob, but used Kext Helper, I mean, I wanted to follow your instructions to the "T", interestingly I dragged these files over and did a Easy Installand rebooted:

Everything was fine, no Resolution problem or anything for that matter, EXCEPT, the menubar ontop didn't always refresh, ie if you had Firefox open and it's menu was displayed and you clicked somewhere on the desktop the Finder menu wouldn'd show but they were there if you used you mouse over them!?

Well, the I checked with kextstat and it showed Natit and it fellow kexts loaded, what I did see was that there was no AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext in the Extensions directory!? I then loaded it seperately with Kext Helper made sure it was there rebooted and....

This time everything is fine!! QE/CI, even the menus work! kextstat shows AppleIntelGMAX3100 and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB loaded and no more Natit.kexts although I didn't remove it!

I know it's more than 2cents but maybe it solves other peoples mysteries !!

SticMAN

hi guys,

how come my laptop boot like following situation once for a wihle..

and sometime, everything is working great.

dscn0117fh4.th.jpg

I guess I will try the above method..

will get back to you guys asap..

also, I have deled natit.kext..and it still works sometimes..so I start to wondering if natit.kext is usefully

I think I am using 1.5.28 kexts..that's come with 10.5.3 update..should I downgread them to 1.5.24 ?Natit.kext - From simcolor ( Kext v? )AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext - From simcolor ( Kext 1.5.18)AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

this made me blue screen on boot..I think I will go back to 1.5.28 with half the chance to get in..plz hlep!!!

AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext (I am using the 1.5.28 ver of this)

can anyone upload the 1.5.24 ver. so I can try it..

thanks.

Hi,

I have

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

I installed the kexts (in VESA) and whenever I reboot it ALWAYS gives me a white screen, even in -x

My friend has same ID's as me and has given me the same files for it to me but it still wont work!

If I hook up an external monitor and switch the display both screens appear with the last lines of -v with fRegisters at 0****** (Changes every time).

I would REALLY appreciate ANY help. If you want to add me to MSN (quicker chat), please add jonty.oglesby@virgin.net

Thanks!

SUCCESSS!!!

[EDIT]:

[/EDIT]

Intel GMA X3100

Working With CI/QE

AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip

[EDIT]: I AM NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE FOUND THE "SLEEP WAKE TRICK"

Only a way to get it working on some Dells that dont have it working fully

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]

This Still Works With 10.5.3

[/EDIT]

It finally works for me... HOLY S**T

Thanks a lot!

there is a screen shot here! :wacko:

post-217055-1212317767_thumb.png

Got my X3100 in my Thinkpad R61 working follwoing proosje's way. Native Res, Full QE/CI

It is so easy.

1. remove all AppleIntelGMA*, Natit and NVDA*

2. Install Graphic Update 1.o from apple.

3.Before restart, remove all AppleIntelGMA950*

4.Restart

That is it.

Tried this and it didn't work on my XPS m1330. I'll try the other methods now.

How do we know if it's necessary to insert our device IDs, etc? How does one find these exactly?

go to about this mac and then more info,

click on Graphics / Displays

what does your Device id say?

if it doesnt say 2A02 then edit the info.plist inside the .kext to

match it to where it says 0x<yourdevid>8086

then repair permissions and restart

for me to get this to work, i had to remove all the other device id's

thats why i said to edit id's to match

go to about this mac and then more info,

click on Graphics / Displays

what does your Device id say?

if it doesnt say 2A02 then edit the info.plist inside the .kext to

match it to where it says 0x<yourdevid>8086

then repair permissions and restart

for me to get this to work, i had to remove all the other device id's

thats why i said to edit id's to match

Thanks, I just got it to work. For some reason, the kexts wouldn't load unless I used Kext Helper. The system otherwise whinges about certain files not working. This is brilliant though. I finally have 1280x800 and both CI/QE.

Does anyone have an explanation for why the display must first be put to sleep in order for the screen to display correctly? Is there a script or some way of making the computer sleep after boot so all one must does is simply move the mouse to bring the screen up?

Did you happen to notice that your colours and brightness changed? I've the same background for both Vista and Leopard, though I have to admit that I think Vista looks better. The fonts seem a bit wonky as well even after trying different font smoothing options.

However, I'm glad to have the screen working.

Cheers!