Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Yes I am on 10.6.1 from clean install. Followed the Hacktrix instructions by instaaling the driver in 64bit mode clean the cach repear kexts and boot into 32bit, but the driver doesnt even loads.

Are you using the Compaq 6720s?

Nope, using Dell. I'll check the device id on my side, I suspect it's different to yours.

I windows my graphics card is called: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

I got it working a few times with mac, with GMA x3100,

But most time I boot up I get a rainbow colored screen,

Last tweak I did made it goes this haywire every time.. (by copy and pasting some ktex for x3100 on the forums.

Please help me to get it working again, hopefully everytime I boot it up.

Thanks

post-515448-1256735097_thumb.jpg

yay!

solved black screen issue with intel gma965 x3100 device id 0x2a02 version id 0x0003 on toshiba L3xx series, maybe works for others too, its worth a try! this should work with both leopard 10.5.x and snow leopard 10.6.x, since its dsdt only solution.

prerequisites:

you need a dsdt.dsl file created WITH LOADED VANILLA drivers! that says you need to create dsdt while your display is black. to do this you need somehow to enable screensharing on your not working laptop, my way was:

1. boot to single user mode

"-s" flag at the boot prompt

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

2. if your drivers are already modified delete them all and delete natit or any equal kexts

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

if your drivers are vanilla (clean install) then back them up

sudo mkdir /gfxbackup

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA* /gfxbackup

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /gfxbackup

and now delete from extensions

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3. reboot, you will get a working screen without qe/ci and on a 1024x768 resolution

4. go to systemprefs, sharing, enable screensharing

5. copy all backed up kexts back to extensions dir

sudo cp -R /gfxbackup/* /System/Library/Extensions/

or extract them from combo update with pacifist.app, comboupdate has to match installed osx version!

6. reboot, connect with apple remote desktop or chicken of the vnc to the laptop

7. create your fresh dsdt with fassl's dsdt patcher

now we try to solve the display issue in the dsdt:

3. look in dsdt if you can find another video device except of device (AGP), in my case its device (OVGA), if yes, check with ioregexplorer on pci0,0 if you can find this device, and if it has a display attached to it

4. eliminate ALL entries in dsdt.dsl that depends to device (agp) and their subdevices (lcd, tv, crt...)

5. your active video device in dsdt should look something like that:

Device (OVGA)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
	 Name (BCML, 0x64)
			 Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
			 {.....

6. put into device (OVGA) following method (_DSM):

Device (OVGA)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
	 /* starts here */	
			 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					 {
						 Store (Package (0x30)
							 {
								 "device_type", 
								 Buffer (0x08)
								 {
									 "display"
								 }, 

"model", 
								 Buffer (0x0D)
								 {
									 "X3100"
								 }, 

"AAPL,HasPanel", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 },

"AAPL,SelfRefreshSupported", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL,aux-power-connected", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL,backlight-control", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL00,blackscreen-preferences", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08
								 }, 

"AAPL01,BacklightIntensity", 
								 Unicode ("d"), 
								 "AAPL01,blackscreen-preferences", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08
								 }, 

"AAPL01,DataJustify", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,Depth", 
								 Unicode (" "), 
								 "AAPL01,Dither", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,DualLink", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,Height", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x20, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,Interlace", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,Inverter", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,InverterCurrent", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,InverterFrequency", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x08, 0x52, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,LinkFormat", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,LinkType", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,Pipe", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,PixelFormat", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"AAPL01,Refresh", 
								 Unicode (";"), 
								 "AAPL01,Stretched", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }
							 }, Local0)
						 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						 Return (Local0)
					 }
			 /* end here */
			 Name (BCML, 0x64)
			 Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
			 {.....

7. drag&drop dsdt.dsl to iaslme.app (or do it with terminal iasl)

copy dsdt.aml to /Extra/DSDT.aml

set permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra

8. reboot and enjoy with vanilla kexts, so absolutely update-save solution :angel:

note:

the method (_dsm) is taken from macbook with same gfx, i removed some not needed parts of it (display_configs, edid, etc...), may be some of the parts still present not needed too, i will continue tommorow to check and remove parts of the method, to get it short and clean.

cheers

edit: i attached my dsdt.dsl for better overview.

modifications:

device (hdef) from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1197017

sata patched to be recognized as internal from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

thx for help with display issue to fassl and nawcom

I think you might be on to something there bud. Can you send me a how to via pm i'll then check with my Laptop as i have the same rev and if it works then we have cracked it.

• 2 weeks later...
yay!

solved black screen issue with intel gma965 x3100 device id 0x2a02 version id 0x0003 on toshiba L3xx series, maybe works for others too, its worth a try! this should work with both leopard 10.5.x and snow leopard 10.6.x, since its dsdt only solution.

All I can say is THANK YOU !!!!

I've been trying to get the display working on my laptop for months! This worked perfectly !

Toshiba Laptop

L355-S7812

Snow Leopard 10.6.2

To Flames:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I have spent many months trying to get my internal laptop display working.

With just a simple copy and paste I was able to put in your DSDT code for the display device into my DSDT file, compile and reboot. It works great.

Thank you so much..... :(;):D

ray

Flames here is a copy of my dsdt file....

Its just ashame that i can't get everything working in the dsdt file like sound card etc...

hi Hacktrix2006, as promised, here are the patched dsdt, dont know if it work, but try. i have attached two versions in the zip:

1. is full dsdt

2. device CRT, DVI, TVO are eliminated, so only LCD is present, try this only if first one does not work.

dont forget to delete natit and use only vanilla kexts (not modified appleintelframebuffer and appleintelgmax* kexts)

hope that helps

best regards

flames

hacktrix2006.zip

Thanx for answering me.

I mean I upgraded to Snow Leo 10.6.2 and can boot into 64 bit mode but I got white screen at login showing some artifacts. Before upgrading when I had 10.6.1 I could use 64bit fine but didn't have que/ci and resolution support (because drivers was only for 32 bit version).

Now I got the artifact problem I tried erasing gmax3100Fb.kext and I can boot into Os but obviously the graphic card isnt recognized so I guess the problem is this file?

Open the info.plist I can see IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH 0x2A028086 that is the correctly id so what is my problem?? ;)

I remember in Leo 10.5.8 I had to use also natit.kext to have this card recognized with full support.

Is there any natit.kext 64 bit?

Thanx for any advice

Thanx for answering me.

I mean I upgraded to Snow Leo 10.6.2 and can boot into 64 bit mode but I got white screen at login showing some artifacts. Before upgrading when I had 10.6.1 I could use 64bit fine but didn't have que/ci and resolution support (because drivers was only for 32 bit version).

Now I got the artifact problem I tried erasing gmax3100Fb.kext and I can boot into Os but obviously the graphic card isnt recognized so I guess the problem is this file?

Open the info.plist I can see IOPCIPRIMARYMATCH 0x2A028086 that is the correctly id so what is my problem?? ;)

I remember in Leo 10.5.8 I had to use also natit.kext to have this card recognized with full support.

Is there any natit.kext 64 bit?

Thanx for any advice

I have a Natit.kext and a patched DSDT. It works with this.

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

flame-

Any chance you could take a look at my DSDT? I welcome any advice you may have. I added your patch, but nothing changed (still boots to a black screen unless I remove the X3100 kexts). Then I removed all other displays (VGA, TV0, LCD, etc) and a few Methods that referenced VGA... still no change. Adding Natit.kext doesn't fix it either.

Doing everything through VNC right now. Attached below, I've included a screenshot of my ioreg (with the X3100 kexts loaded), my stock DSDT, the modded DSDT, and a screenshot of the System Profiler display info, because it looks kind of funky- lots of commas (might help troubleshoot?).

Thanks a ton!

PS. Using iDeneb for now, because the retail DVD I have tries to load the X3100 kexts and turns black, so can't run setup! Hoping once I've got a DSDT fix, I can boot retail using it.

PPS. Also noticed just now that I actually have two displays- GFX0@2 and another at 2,1...

ATTNflame.zip

Hi all

First time posting in this thread (I hadn't seen it before).

I can get it working fine on 10.6.1, but not 10.6.2. I've patched my DSDT as per slashack's post here but my computer screen still dies on boot. My device and revision match his exactly. The laptop screen dies, and when I plug an external LCD display in I get the following on it:

87ba4673.jpg

Any ideas if this is X3100 related or something else?

Thanks for any help.

Hi all

First time posting in this thread (I hadn't seen it before).

I can get it working fine on 10.6.1, but not 10.6.2. I've patched my DSDT as per slashack's post here but my computer screen still dies on boot. My device and revision match his exactly. The laptop screen dies, and when I plug an external LCD display in I get the following on it:

87ba4673.jpg

Any ideas if this is X3100 related or something else?

Thanks for any help.

Can you boot with -x? -s? 32 bit? 64 bit?

If you move your X3100 kexts and boot without them, does it works?

KarasuTengu: i have an idea: remove the method (_DSM again, and eliminate all entries for crt, tv out and other heads except of lcd (not simply remove them, you need to correct if else statements on some palces in dsdt)

if you get no luck, attach your dsdt here, i will have a look at it next days.

CharredPC: will have a look at yours too next days, i am a little busy now. after get some sparetime, we will find a solution for sure

sparrowdclxvi: slashhack is right, try to boot without appleintelgmax drivers. but i guess your problem doesnt relate to video, anyway, try slashhacks suggestion to get sure.

look at fakesmc: key not found message, dont know if that is normal ;)

to boot in 32bit use -x32 at bootpromt (the screen where you can select the drive where you want too boot from, to see that screen just press any button while chameleon shows the loading bar)

another, permanent method is to set a kernel flag in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

with chameleon2 rc3 arch=i386 sometimes doesnt work from /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

rc3 and netkas boot 10.x boot 64bit mode by default. if you set arch=i386 in boot.plist, try at boot promt: -x64 or -x86_64 (dont remember whats right)