Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have an Intel GM 965 graphics card Graphics and I can not choose this resolution - 1280x800 ...

My current resolution is 1280x768 and I like it because the dock looks bad

Please Help Me!!

If you don't care about QE/CI than you can find and try to install 9f23installer.pkg file. It worked for me (previously I had only 1024x768 or needed sleep trick), but these drivers never made my X3100 work with QE/CI supported.

Anyone has solution for 10.6 Snow Leopard?

I have the Lenovo T61 with x3100 + 1680x1050 screen. If I remore all AppleIntelGMA*.* from Extensions. I am able to boot in with full function.

However, I can't manage to run with all the methods suggested in this 30+pages thread. Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Hi, I am posting this on an HP 6710b laptop with GMA X3100 (running SnowLeopard) at full resolution, though System Profiler doesn't mention QE/CI at all. I believe the following should work with Leopard too.

- Leave the Vanilla kexts for x3100 in place (but remove the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext)

- Remove all the kexts for gma 950

- use pacifist to extract the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 package and copy ONLY this to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder

- rebuild your kext cache and restart the system, it will come up on the internal LCD at full resolution (1680 x 1050 for me)

- don't delete the default AppleIntelIntergratedFrameBuffer kext

outstanding:

- sleep still doesn't work properly

- the DSDt from the HP 6710b is very buggy. I have got it to compile, but it seems to be missing quite a few devices. There are some samples from a Sony Viao with a similar X3100 card on one of the threads but I don't know if it will work on the HP.

- finally, is there a tutorial out there on how to generate the EFI string for the Intel cards (X3100) from scratch? I couldn't find the PDF hactrix2006 was supposed to have made and the gfxutil seems not to be for Intel cards. I can get my EDID, but how to get the EFI string still stumps me.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Anyone know how to get the S-Video working on GMA x3100? Everything else works fine. The only thing that isn't are the svideo Out. Anyone got a clue of how to get it to work?

Thanks!

I've never been able to get S-Video to work, i've made a Pre-Boot CD for snow leopard just finishing the guide for that and the guide for the 10.5.8 drivers then i'll post it up on here!

• 2 weeks later...

For those on 10.6.1 Here is the drivers for QE/CI.

Boot your 10.6.x install in 64bit mode using -x64 arch=x86_64 as there is no driver for the X3100 in 64 bit mode.

Then install the following kexts in the attached zip file using KextHelperB7.

Repair disc permission then boot into 32bit mode with -x32 arch=i386 and enjoy.

For those with 10.5.8 i have the drivers for this too and will upload next time i'm on the Mac 10.6.1 Partition..

For people with the same laptop as me the ASUS F3E AP075C i'll be uploading a nice Boot132 CD with all the drivers needed and a guide.

X3100.zip

hello,

on my toshiba satellite L350-16S (x3100 device id 0x2a02) this driver doesnt help on snow leo 10.6.1, but it changes the behaviour...

without any natit and without your modified drivers the screen goes black (backlight is enabled so no sleep)

making the screen sleep through vnc, backlight disables, at waking up enables again. so sleeptrick not helpfull.

directly after grey screen with spinnig wheel. after that i can connect to the laptop with ard/vnc. system profiler shows fully working x3100 and "unknown monitor" with 1440x900x32 (this is native reso of lcd), qe/ci is working fine.

another strange issue is, when i boot whith external display@vga it works, i see the desktop of "second" screen with 1440x900 resolution. but the external display supports 1920x1200. when i disconnect vga and connect it back, no image, just strange artefacts. in the vnc i see them too! and only way to get normal image again is reboot blidly.

the external screen works only with dsdt modification (thx nawcom). without dsdt it gets black screen after grey bootscreen, just like internal lcd.

with your natit+drivers, after grey bootscreen with spinning wheel it goes blue for a half sekond, like it tries to go to desktoop, but then the blue screen zooms out to left-top corner and is replaced by black screen. after that i can NOT connect with ard/vnc.

so it looks like there is a way to get it working, the blue screen was a sign of working gfx.

thx for your effort

hello,

on my toshiba satellite L350-16S (x3100 device id 0x2a02) this driver doesnt help on snow leo 10.6.1, but it changes the behaviour...

without any natit and without your modified drivers the screen goes black (backlight is enabled so no sleep)

making the screen sleep through vnc, backlight disables, at waking up enables again. so sleeptrick not helpfull.

directly after grey screen with spinnig wheel. after that i can connect to the laptop with ard/vnc. system profiler shows fully working x3100 and "unknown monitor" with 1440x900x32 (this is native reso of lcd), qe/ci is working fine.

another strange issue is, when i boot whith external display@vga it works, i see the desktop of "second" screen with 1440x900 resolution. but the external display supports 1920x1200. when i disconnect vga and connect it back, no image, just strange artefacts. in the vnc i see them too! and only way to get normal image again is reboot blidly.

the external screen works only with dsdt modification (thx nawcom). without dsdt it gets black screen after grey bootscreen, just like internal lcd.

with your natit+drivers, after grey bootscreen with spinning wheel it goes blue for a half sekond, like it tries to go to desktoop, but then the blue screen zooms out to left-top corner and is replaced by black screen. after that i can NOT connect with ard/vnc.

so it looks like there is a way to get it working, the blue screen was a sign of working gfx.

thx for your effort

Have you done a repair permissions on it are you using 10.6 as the drivers are for 10.6 only. Try removing the GMA950 files see if that works

Have you done a repair permissions on it are you using 10.6 as the drivers are for 10.6 only. Try removing the GMA950 files see if that works

yes, snow leo 10.6.1, gma950 removed, permissions repaired, caches cleaned, but still short flashing blue screen, then fading/zooming out to left-top corner repalaced by black.

edit: Hacktrix2006, could you please explain in short words what you modified on those kexts? maybe i can modify my stock kexts to my specifical gfx.

ok, i tested now again:

fresh reteil install of snow 10.6 - update to 10.6.1

removed 950 kexts

installed your 10.6.1 kexts + natit from your attached package

repaired permission + caches

tested with internal lcd only and external vga display

internal still black with zooming out blue screen, external has psychedelic image, moving mouse lets flicker artifacts in blue and red.

connected with vnc (w/o external display vnc doesnt connect) and shows the same artifacts of external screen.

with your drivers seems like the internal screen is not present, so vnc doesnt connect to screen 0 or 1. with external scrinn it connects to 0.

with totally vanilla, w/o natit external screen works just fine, internal is black. vnc connects to screen 0 and is fine, connecting to screen 1 works only if external display connected, and is fine too.

so i guess framebuffer is not my problem, because i dont have artifacts wit vanilla drivers. i just get black internal screen. and its not the sleep problem, because the screen is on (backlight is on) when i force sleep of screen, then backlight goes off and on again at waking up.

i dont have any ideas, maybe edid is wrong, so the internal screen maybe works at wrong frequency or something like that.

i saw in systemprofiler, that the resolution is 1440x900 (which is fine) but there is no @60 (its not 1440x900@60 like it should)

tried to force 60Hz with com.apple.Boot.plist (graphics mode 1440x900x32@60) and with switchResX, didnt help.

my last idea is to force edid injection trough string/injector/dsdt, cant find any info about how to do that. hope someone could help.

thanks

edit: all test of your drivers i done with present dsdt, the video section is modified so the device crt is removed. i will test without dsdt again, maybe that bites with your drivers.

ok, i tested now again:

fresh reteil install of snow 10.6 - update to 10.6.1

removed 950 kexts

installed your 10.6.1 kexts + natit from your attached package

repaired permission + caches

tested with internal lcd only and external vga display

internal still black with zooming out blue screen, external has psychedelic image, moving mouse lets flicker artifacts in blue and red.

connected with vnc (w/o external display vnc doesnt connect) and shows the same artifacts of external screen.

with your drivers seems like the internal screen is not present, so vnc doesnt connect to screen 0 or 1. with external scrinn it connects to 0.

with totally vanilla, w/o natit external screen works just fine, internal is black. vnc connects to screen 0 and is fine, connecting to screen 1 works only if external display connected, and is fine too.

so i guess framebuffer is not my problem, because i dont have artifacts wit vanilla drivers. i just get black internal screen. and its not the sleep problem, because the screen is on (backlight is on) when i force sleep of screen, then backlight goes off and on again at waking up.

i dont have any ideas, maybe edid is wrong, so the internal screen maybe works at wrong frequency or something like that.

i saw in systemprofiler, that the resolution is 1440x900 (which is fine) but there is no @60 (its not 1440x900@60 like it should)

tried to force 60Hz with com.apple.Boot.plist (graphics mode 1440x900x32@60) and with switchResX, didnt help.

my last idea is to force edid injection trough string/injector/dsdt, cant find any info about how to do that. hope someone could help.

thanks

edit: all test of your drivers i done with present dsdt, the video section is modified so the device crt is removed. i will test without dsdt again, maybe that bites with your drivers.

If possible try with a unmodded DSDT to see if it works it could be because of the CRT fix that it doesn't work.

If possible try with a unmodded DSDT to see if it works it could be because of the CRT fix that it doesn't work.

i did, same behaviour (blue screen zooming out, black screen)

i guess the problem in my laptop is not the gfx drivers / framebuffer drivers. maybe its the edid of display or nvcap values (if there are nvcaps with intel gfx)

edit: i just found some info that there are some more complicated x3100 with revision id 0x0003, and that is exactly mine. didnt mentioned that that would be necessary, so if anyone have a solution for this card, please help

gma965 x3100 on toshiba satellite L350-16S (and some other models)

device id 0x2a02

version id 0x0003

yay!

solved black screen issue with intel gma965 x3100 device id 0x2a02 version id 0x0003 on toshiba L3xx series, maybe works for others too, its worth a try! this should work with both leopard 10.5.x and snow leopard 10.6.x, since its dsdt only solution.

prerequisites:

you need a dsdt.dsl file created WITH LOADED VANILLA drivers! that says you need to create dsdt while your display is black. to do this you need somehow to enable screensharing on your not working laptop, my way was:

1. boot to single user mode

"-s" flag at the boot prompt

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

2. if your drivers are already modified delete them all and delete natit or any equal kexts

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

if your drivers are vanilla (clean install) then back them up

sudo mkdir /gfxbackup

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA* /gfxbackup

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /gfxbackup

and now delete from extensions

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

3. reboot, you will get a working screen without qe/ci and on a 1024x768 resolution

4. go to systemprefs, sharing, enable screensharing

5. copy all backed up kexts back to extensions dir

sudo cp -R /gfxbackup/* /System/Library/Extensions/

or extract them from combo update with pacifist.app, comboupdate has to match installed osx version!

6. reboot, connect with apple remote desktop or chicken of the vnc to the laptop

7. create your fresh dsdt with fassl's dsdt patcher

now we try to solve the display issue in the dsdt:

3. look in dsdt if you can find another video device except of device (AGP), in my case its device (OVGA), if yes, check with ioregexplorer on pci0,0 if you can find this device, and if it has a display attached to it

4. eliminate ALL entries in dsdt.dsl that depends to device (agp) and their subdevices (lcd, tv, crt...)

5. your active video device in dsdt should look something like that:

Device (OVGA)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
	Name (BCML, 0x64)
			Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
			{.....

6. put into device (OVGA) following method (_DSM):

Device (OVGA)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
	/* starts here */	
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					{
						Store (Package (0x30)
							{
								"device_type", 
								Buffer (0x08)
								{
									"display"
								}, 

"model", 
								Buffer (0x0D)
								{
									"X3100"
								}, 

"AAPL,HasPanel", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								},

"AAPL,SelfRefreshSupported", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL,aux-power-connected", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL,backlight-control", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL00,blackscreen-preferences", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08
								}, 

"AAPL01,BacklightIntensity", 
								Unicode ("d"), 
								"AAPL01,blackscreen-preferences", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08
								}, 

"AAPL01,DataJustify", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,Depth", 
								Unicode (" "), 
								"AAPL01,Dither", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,DualLink", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,Height", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x20, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,Interlace", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,Inverter", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,InverterCurrent", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,InverterFrequency", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x08, 0x52, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,LinkFormat", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,LinkType", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,Pipe", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,PixelFormat", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}, 

"AAPL01,Refresh", 
								Unicode (";"), 
								"AAPL01,Stretched", 
								Buffer (0x04)
								{
									0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								}
							}, Local0)
						DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						Return (Local0)
					}
			/* end here */
			Name (BCML, 0x64)
			Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
			{.....

7. drag&drop dsdt.dsl to iaslme.app (or do it with terminal iasl)

copy dsdt.aml to /Extra/DSDT.aml

set permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra

8. reboot and enjoy with vanilla kexts, so absolutely update-save solution :thumbsup_anim:

note:

the method (_dsm) is taken from macbook with same gfx, i removed some not needed parts of it (display_configs, edid, etc...), may be some of the parts still present not needed too, i will continue tommorow to check and remove parts of the method, to get it short and clean.

cheers

edit: i attached my dsdt.dsl for better overview.

modifications:

device (hdef) from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1197017

sata patched to be recognized as internal from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

thx for help with display issue to fassl and nawcom

DSDT.zip

For those on 10.6.1 Here is the drivers for QE/CI.

Boot your 10.6.x install in 64bit mode using -x64 arch=x86_64 as there is no driver for the X3100 in 64 bit mode.

Then install the following kexts in the attached zip file using KextHelperB7.

Repair disc permission then boot into 32bit mode with -x32 arch=i386 and enjoy.

For those with 10.5.8 i have the drivers for this too and will upload next time i'm on the Mac 10.6.1 Partition..

For people with the same laptop as me the ASUS F3E AP075C i'll be uploading a nice Boot132 CD with all the drivers needed and a guide.

Just a quick THANK YOU very much.

I can confirm that these drivers do work with 10.6.1

They work with 10.6 as well but then no QE/CI.

I have problems getting native resolution on Mac os x 10.5.7 vanilla kernel.

I have Intel 4500MHD , device id= 2A02 revision = 7.

running on Dell E6400.

from some reason the 3100FB refuses to load.

Any help would be appreciated.

working Kext for my mac will do the work.

thanks

I have problems getting native resolution on Mac os x 10.5.7 vanilla kernel.

I have Intel 4500MHD , device id= 2A02 revision = 7.

running on Dell E6400.

from some reason the 3100FB refuses to load.

Any help would be appreciated.

working Kext for my mac will do the work.

thanks

I am the same, my hp 6720s won't give me any other res than 1024x768 so there are black lines down either side of the display?

Yes, see my post above - used Hacktrix2006's drivers and instructions.

These drivers dosent work for me. I have the device id 0x02a12 and when I change to these values it dosent event load the kext so I iam in 1024x768. I have better driver witch give me 1280x800 but no QE/CI. In LEOPARD its 100% working.

Any other ides?

These drivers dosent work for me. I have the device id 0x02a12 and when I change to these values it dosent event load the kext so I iam in 1024x768. I have better driver witch give me 1280x800 but no QE/CI. In LEOPARD its 100% working.

Any other ides?

Have you upgraded to 10.6.1 yet? Those drivers worked with 10.6 but no QE/CI. Upgraded to 10.6.1 then loaded them again and everything was working 100%.

Have you upgraded to 10.6.1 yet? Those drivers worked with 10.6 but no QE/CI. Upgraded to 10.6.1 then loaded them again and everything was working 100%.

Yes I am on 10.6.1 from clean install. Followed the Hacktrix instructions by instaaling the driver in 64bit mode clean the cach repear kexts and boot into 32bit, but the driver doesnt even loads.

Are you using the Compaq 6720s?