Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

I have started this thread in order for us to have a seperate space away from the GMA 950 issues that are being discuess in most other threads.

Just to explain this is a discussion thread dedicated to hopefully getting the GMA X3100 working on our laptops. Let me be clear on this though....there are already many systems out there with the GMA X3100 working. I would highly suggest that before you post here, you read this ongoing thread.

I have a compaq c727us. It has a GMA X3100, which is why I'm here. I have leo 10.5 9a581 installed and everything works so far except the video. I followed the previous thread mentioned above and as far as I've been able to get is the blue screen on the internal display and the external display working. The only way I can use it outside of -x safe mode is by removing the AppleIntelGMA3100.kext extension, which gives me the 1024x768 display resolution only. Of course it is hard to decipher from the previous thread wether or not I actually went through the right steps. I basically copied over the natit.kext provided by Paulicat and the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the original Leopard install for 10.5. Repaired permissions and attempted a reboot. I was able to get the External display working fine, just not the internal. If there was anything I did wrong there, please let me know. I think maybe a step-by-step posted here, after we get this thing nailed down, would be a good idea.

I have a compaq c727us. It has a GMA X3100, which is why I'm here. I have leo 10.5 9a581 installed and everything works so far except the video. I followed the previous thread mentioned above and as far as I've been able to get is the blue screen on the internal display and the external display working. The only way I can use it outside of -x safe mode is by removing the AppleIntelGMA3100.kext extension, which gives me the 1024x768 display resolution only. Of course it is hard to decipher from the previous thread wether or not I actually went through the right steps. I basically copied over the natit.kext provided by Paulicat and the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the original Leopard install for 10.5. Repaired permissions and attempted a reboot. I was able to get the External display working fine, just not the internal. If there was anything I did wrong there, please let me know. I think maybe a step-by-step posted here, after we get this thing nailed down, would be a good idea.
Same story here. In terms of the time these things take it's tempting to wait for one of the big guns to release a complete package. Well, almost tempting! In this instance I am using an Acer Extensa 5620 with 965M motherboard and GMA X3100. A lot of people bought this machine from Best Buy a few weeks ago when on promotion. Having a 200GB hard drive makes dual and tri boot an attractive proposition, at last!

I'm actually doing a triboot right now. Vista for work/support reasons and Xubuntu Gutsy Gibbon along with Leopard. I wanted to note that I did try earlier today installing EFI, thus utilizing the real kernel instead of the patched kernel. I was curious if the natit.kext trick would work once the system was updated given the posibility of an update to the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext. I updated to 10.5.1 and applied Paulicats natit.kext and ended up with the same result--External Display working great, no internal display...just blue screen. Although efi did allow it to update, since it emulates the proper bios and the non-patched kernel can be used with it. Don't know if the same result would occur on the dells or the acer, but I just wanted to throw my experience out there for those interested. So I removed my AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext from the extensions folder again, restored the patched kernel, and am back to square one.

I think I'm going to have to buy Everest unless there is another way to get Vista to accurately report the vendor dev id of my X3100... though I'm fairly sure it's working already via the external monitor, certainly I can change the screen resolutions and the spot effects are there. I tri boot, Vista, Leopard, Tiger, though the latter two aren't worth booting into with just vesa.

Does anyone here also have an S-Video port? I'm wondering if this isn't the reason the natit.kext isn't working. Possibly a three display scenario causing the internal display to be a third device id. I'm not good at hardware level in Mac software, so I may be way off here, but I figured it was worth considering. I figured I would ask on this thread if anyone else here has the svideo port before bugging those with working setups to see if they have svideo ports or not. Just trying to go back to the possible obvious.

OK, I finally got it working. Here is what I did from a base brazilmac image.

1) copied the brazilmac image to the partition I wanted to run it from using dd under linux.

2) booted the system using the -x option to get into safe run mode.

3) under safe mode I moved /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext to /AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext to remove it from the extensions and keep a backup copy. This gave me a display to work with outside of safe mode. Not really necessary, but gave me the ability to reboot as I needed to without having to hit -x each time.

4) I rebooted to get out of Safe mode.

5) I installed efi using the following instructions

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

(in those instructions, after it tells you to reboot and hit f8, make sure you type mach_kernel.patched, not just kernel.patched...that was a typo in the instructions)

6) I booted the system with the real osx kernel and connected the external display.

7) I ran software update to update the system to 10.5.1

8) Upon reboot, only the external display would work. I backed up the copy of Natit.kext already in /System/Library/Extensions. I copied the latest Natit.kext made by Paulicat into /System/Library/Extensions, the ran "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext" and "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext". (You can get the Natit.kext from Paulicat at this thread - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282)

9) And this was the key that I missed before. I removed the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext file from /System/Library/Extensions, making sure to keep a backup but removing it from the folder altogether.

I think overall, my problem here was that I didn't have the full instructions. I'm not necessarily dependant on step-by-step instructions, but I just saw the reference to removing the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer today as I was going back through the threads. On Nov. 12th, paulicat had stated "If you are dealing with an X3100, you DO NOT care about AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer as that is ONLY for gma950's." I didn't realize that removing that file was the key for me. I hope this helps.

I want to make sure I was clear in the above post. I went through all of those steps, except for removing AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and it didn't work for me. In fact I tried to use the stock version of that file as indicated was necessary for the 950 chipset. When I removed it, it immediately began working, I assume because it was then able to use the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext instead.

I have started this thread in order for us to have a seperate space away from the GMA 950 issues that are being discuess in most other threads.

errandwolfe:

I have a a Dell D630 with a X3100 same as you and currently am unable to use the accelerated internal display, external display is fine. I can use the internal display removing the X3100 kext and using VESA mode but @ 1024x768 :)

Tried paulicats new X3100 Natit (No Luck) - Same result just ext. display. Also removed the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and 950 kexts - same.

This is all on a stock Leopard 10.5.1, stock kernel and pc efi v5.

My CRT/LCD switch (Fn-F8) works but I get a corrupted internal display. I wonder if there is a way to inject a resolution change into the driver with a shortcut key?

Hoping for a solution...

errandwolfe:

I have a a Dell D630 with a X3100 same as you and currently am unable to use the accelerated internal display, external display is fine. I can use the internal display removing the X3100 kext and using VESA mode but @ 1024x768 :(

Tried paulicats new X3100 Natit (No Luck) - Same result just ext. display. Also removed the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and 950 kexts - same.

This is all on a stock Leopard 10.5.1, stock kernel and pc efi v5.

My CRT/LCD switch (Fn-F8) works but I get a corrupted internal display. I wonder if there is a way to inject a resolution change into the driver with a shortcut key?

Hoping for a solution...

Ah, I really hoped the answer was installing pc efi and using 10.5.1, which seems to have worked for some. Still to try that on my Acer though my heads too fuggy with flu at the moment. Not good news. Don't give up! :P

Still working on getting EFI running on my laptop. Putting up a lot more of a fight then my desktop, but I do hope to have some time to dedicate to this and I will report back my results. In the meantime please if anyone else discovers simply loaded PC-EFI fixes things for you, please let us know.

Hardboil,

Please I am trying to keep this thread as on topic as possible. If you have installation questions NOT regarding the X3100 please take those to the appropriate forum. I am not trying to be rude, but I have watched a simple thread about one specific issue bloat up with other non-related questions. This makes it very difficult for people to find answers regarding the issue the thread was originally started to discuss.

Quote:-

05:52 Detosx Hi netkas. Stuck with X3100, here, lol. Works with an external screen but not the laptop's own screen.

05:52 Server ToT (ToT@4FC34717.27F676BB.AC5DDFA6.IP) has joined the room

05:52 Server Koen2X (Koen2X@freedom-AF357626.hsd1.mi.comcast.net) has joined the room

05:53 netkas get IODT ioreg dump from macbook with gmax3100

05:53 netkas if u want it working

05:54 Detosx Ah, I need to find someone with a new macbook.

05:54 Server alqaseer has quit IRC (Broken pipe)

05:54 Server taribowest is now known as taribo|away

05:55 netkas ioreg -l -w0 -p IODeviceTree > dump.txt - that's what u need to get and then to give me

05:57 netkas and i need such dump from macmini

Any takers? :)

Dax,

If you could do that we would all REALLY appreciate it. Most of the Dell and Compaq users as well as a few of the Acer one are all stuck with this problem, it is extremely frustrating.

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.

Netkas in his blog is saying that he found out we can get rid of natit in some situations and that he needs infor frorm real macs. In the P.S he adds "P.S. we already have this dumps from MBP with gf8600 (15″ and 17″) and from MacBook. do not post dumps from this systems." He must have posed this after speaking to me, I dip in and out of the room on irc and saw he'd linked to it. So, keep an eye on his blog!

Yep, saw netkas briefly this morning and asked - the macbook he got a IODT ioreg dump from was an older model with GMA G50. I'm asking around but not much luck finding anyone, yet.

I've got a couple of Apple Stores around here and a Fry's. I'm thinking about stopping by to get an extra SATA drive and to get an IO dump from an X3100 MB. Can anyone post detailed instructions of how exactly I would do that? Would I need an admin password? Can I just bring a USB key to dump to?

If admin password is needed, can I just bring a full install of OS X on a USB disk and boot off that?

My head is messed up with flu so I hope I come across with some clarity. I will check over and edit tomorrow. Best of luck to others, especially errandwolfe and other Dell users.

Okay, got it working on my ACER Extensa 5620-6830 laptop which has the famous Intel GMA X3100 on a 965M motherboard. I did so without EFI or the latest 10.5.1 vanilla or otherwise kernal (that's for a later date).

First off, I am assuming that along with the TOH RC2 install DVD you have done the right thing and bought Leopard from your Apple dealer. It's not expensive and they deserve a visit. Who knows, you might find yourself leaving with a Mac Mini or iMac! wink_anim.gif

To get this working (in my case) you need the following kexts and Natit.kext. I won't upload but want instead give credit and links to the original posters. So, the specific ones that I used I found here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0282&st=140

Page 8 of the thread qz1722's post

Kext_Helper.zip ( 1.2MB )

10.5.1GMAX3100.zip ( 259.38K )

I didn't use his link to Natit.kext but this one:-

Page 9 of the thread, mitro's post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0282&st=160

Natit.kext.zip ( 19.68K )

Pop these onto a CD or onto an SD card.

Here's what I did.

1. Having used Gparted to partition the hard drive I used uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 (later uphucks don't see the Sata hard drive on this particular laptop) install DVD to format two F32 partitions to Mac OS Extended Journalled, giving those partitions the names Tiger and Leopard; I installed Tiger on the second one (partition table is mbr Vista / Leopard / Tiger) and Leopard on the first. I will need to repair the Vista boot, obviously, but there are threads elsewhere for how to set that up and I hardly use Vista so I'm not in a hurry!

If you have problems installing Leopard as I did try using the -x command, by which I mean press F8 when booting from the Leopard IOH RC2 install DVD and type -x

When installing Leopard make sure you de-select all of the options in Customize.

Once you have installed Leopard, don't boot into the hard drive yet. Using the -x command again with the TOH DVD, let Leopard installer boot up again and then go to Terimal and type the command

/usr/misc/script.sh Leopard

(assuming you called your partition "Leopard", which in my case I did, otherwise substitute whatever name you gave it).

You are now ready to boot Leopard, albeit in my case it was a convoluted process initially requiring an external monitor, though I'm sure a shortcut could be found booting into the Tiger partition and accessing the Leopard partition from there...

Right, you're plugged into an external monitor?

It may be that you are able to boot straight into Leopard and find that X3100 works fine with an external monitor straight off.

In my case I had to - press F8 while booting. Type: -legacy cpus=1

Once Leopard is up and running, go to your Extensions folder. In my case, I click on my Leopard named hard drive, click on System, then click on Library, then click on Extensions.

I now removed all of the G950 kexts - there are four of them - to a folder on the desktop that I called Moved Kexts.

I removed AppleIntigratedFrameBuffer.kext also.

Now, pop in your CD with the Kexts that you downloaded and burned to CD or pop in your SD card reader and card. Drag the contents to the desktop.

Now unpackage the kext's zips on the desktop.

Now startup Kext Helper. Drag the Natit.kext and the two x3100 kexts - the latter two of which were in the 10.5.1GMAX3100.zip - into Kext Helper's window. Type in your admin password and click Easy Install. This will do all of the Terminal commands that you would otherwise have to type... chown and chmod, etc.

Now, this worked for me. Mileage will most probably vary. I was able to boot into Leopard without problem, without having to type either legacy or cpus=1. I can change screen resolutions (no more bleeping vesa...) and the graphical spot effects are all there and smooth.

Good luck :thumbsup_anim: