EFI booting thread

kinkadius

148 posts in this topic

okay i was messing around with the efi loader, and i put vista dvd files/folders on a removable drive (usb). i then got to the "boot from file" selection on the boot loader and navigates to the vista cdrom.efi file on the drive. i hit enter andi got a boot screen! i took pics and i'll put them up in a moment!

PROGRESS!

okay here come the image (they are big, i didn't have time to resize)

[EDIT: okay B put them on imageshack, so they look smaller(better) now. scroll down!]

I haven't gotten too much farther (i got so excited i HAD to post this) but i will work on this more tonight. but here's what i think this means. i believe that if i can successfully boot from the efi file on vista that we might be able to do the rest!

EDIT: I uploaded all six of kinkadius' images to ImageShack which resized them (they were way to large for this board) in one click (after I compressed two in OS X's Preview.app to under 1MB).

EDIT 2: These are thumbnails now, ImageShack was pulling the full size images for exceeding their bandwidth limits. Click on them to view detail.

unters5fz.th.jpg

vistafolder4ol.th.jpg

Umm... "hogfeed"?

bootfolder6wv.th.jpg

cdboots8ur.th.jpg

fullsuccess6co.th.jpg

sucess3lc.th.jpg

Edited by bofors

Umm... "hogfeed"?

hogfeed is the RSS feeder application i'm developing in cocoa. it's actually kind of fun. i'm more psyched about being able to release a good RSSFramework.framework to the public through my personal license. (a lot of those rss feeders charge for a rather easy to make app.... cept for netnewswire, that one is pretty damn good)

Very interesting. Did the computer freeze after the "Press any key to boot from CD..." or what?

You may be onto something here.

i hope i am! currently right now i get that far, then it flashes back to the efi loader. if i "press any key" it tries to do something then goes back again anyway. but this is on a subfolder that i dropped it into. i'm thinking it may be trying to do something with reading, but unable to read what it's looking for. maybe i need to try installing vista on my usb drive like some have suggested. who knows, but i'm sure someone will soon!

Great news on the vista boot! thanks for all the fun news and dedication ;). Cant wait to see the actual vista desktop.

does this mean i make the front page? :-D

Ow, you will be the next Nobel Prize...

I only need to ask two stupid questions, have you inserted the Vista DVD while in this screen?

next: Maybe it is searching for the dvd stuff, cant you see there exist some file defining something like a cd-rom path?

Hmmm another sugestion

maybe elilo.efi can boot non linux systens like lilo with chainloader, but i dont know about its suporting.

I cetainly hope you do. It's up to the admins or smods I think. Anway, I'm sure the news sites are watching these threads, front page or not.

thanks man :-D

well that's not the reason i'm doing this, but is sure it good reinforcement :-)

okay i'm going to work on this a bit more. i'll let you know if i make any more progress

Edited by kinkadius

I echo everyone's sentiment: Awesome!

My thoughts:

Obviously it says "Press any key to boot from CD" since it thinks it's an install CD.

If you'd actually installed Vista on the USB drive, I'm pretty certain you'd have booted into it no problemo!

I cetainly hope you do. It's up to the admins or smods I think. Anway, I'm sure the news sites are watching these threads, front page or not.

kinkadius has made an awesome contribution to the OSx86Project in the last few days. I would to like encourage people to ask Mashugly and sHARD>> to make this a front page news story.

kinkadius deserves the recognition he has earned and the Mac community needs to know that the OSx86Project is the place to go for booting Windows on Mac information.

ArsTechnica is a great site, but they can't touch this.

well maybe it'd be a good idea to work with him as well. it seems he got this far too. at least this means it's consistent!

Hello again...

Hey can you see the EFI Toolkit of intel?

I think that it have a complete BIOS implementation for loading with EFI, and a lot of programs too.

If it is true, this BIOS can be used to make a great step for booting BIOS systems too...

The files are on BINARY folder of this archive... I hopeful that will be useful...

toolkit download: http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi/agreetoolkit.htm

kinkadius has made an awesome contribution to the OSx86Project in the last few days. I would to like encourage people to ask Mashugly and sHARD>> to make this a front page news story.

No, please, this is simply ridiculous. It's nice to know that progress is on the way, but what we see now is still next to nothing. "Front page news story"? Get real. Everyone expected Vista to run sooner or later, but the installer hasn't even been started by now. Having Vista booting up on an Apple Mac, this is worth a news story. Even more so if XP could be run. But not just a simple text one-liner like we have seen for now.

do it! do it! do it! do it!

;)

either copy the install DVD, or install directly to the USB drive from a PC and rip it out after 1st stage (when windows asks you to reboot the first time)

good luck

Actually here is what I did by the moment – I prepared two 3.5" Diskette images which are to be used for EFI experiments on a normal (BIOS-enabled) PC. On starting up from any of those two diskettes they shall behave just as if you were at iMac (or any other computer with EFI-enabled mobo).

Thus we need just the 10.4.4 DVD-image to continue virtual experiments with Intel Macs dual-booting.

See the attached archives.

IA_32EMB.IMG.zip BIOS32.IMG.zip

EDIT: This man also did almost the same a bit earlier:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=44775

Edited by Sudar

okay i was messing around with the efi loader, and i put vista dvd files/folders on a removable drive (usb). i then got to the "boot from file" selection on the boot loader and navigates to the vista cdrom.efi file on the drive. i hit enter andi got a boot screen! i took pics and i'll put them up in a moment!

PROGRESS!

Please let us know what build number for Vista you are using.

Thanks.

I've posted this on a few other pages, but for the sake of getting the word out, please consider documenting your progress to the wiki! Even if you don't understand wiki sytax, a simple text copy-and-paste is fine, I'm sure someone else would be more than happy to clean it up. With proper documentation in the wiki to sort things out, I'm sure we'd love to write an article about major progress. :D