[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

ipc x-dl sleep wake working ! lost lan

got sleep working, by enabling , restart after power faillure in energy saver options,

problem now, lost lan ethernet at reboot ,

maybe because of OC ? even tried ifconfig en0 down ; sleep/wake ; ifconfig en0 up;

still not working, and 10.5.6 ethernet kext ?

request: sata hotplug , really would like to be able to hot-swap drives

any solutions ?

also loocking at sata / esata controllers, but thinking a sas controller , has definitly hot-plug support,

but heard , even on a mac pro, with sas controller, sleep is not supported,... argh ,....

- thinking of putting a quad in ? recommendations ? or scrap, use for media box and got i7 ?

UPDATE:

- RTL1000 driver, in preferences, set to gigabit, full duplex, and on DHCP, set manual ip address,

- went with ideneb v1.4 install, got everything working for me, ( not using sound, alc889a, but usb stick)

Would you mind posting your customized settings you used for your iPC and iDeneb installs? I posted a similar question recently on this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159913

Looking forward to seeing what you did, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
http://rapidshare.com/files/167968190/dsdt.aml

HPET, RTC. Patched AppleHDA (no injector needed), sleep, restart, shutdown should be ok

without patching any kext's (or OpenHalRestart)

also Power Button works as sleep.

Hmm...so what would I have to do to use this? Do I just replace the current file in the root of the drive and then what happens so all the other kexts? I am currently using a boot 132 install with very few patched items, but sound is one and I did have to use the OpenHalRestart.

Does your wireless D-Link DWA 547 work as native Airport in 10.5.6? Do any of the other D-Links (pci or pci()) work?

By the way, in case anyone is interested, here is a foolproof emergency disk backup method:

I have my OSX install on a 320gig drive (sata). I had a 160 gig drive spare.

1- Boot OSX via DVD or another drive and resize the 320 gig to 155gig (less than the 160).

2- connect the 160 either via sata or usb

3- you can now use dd to make a copy of the boot drive to the 160gig drive and all partitions will carry over. The result will be bootable and identical.

4- after resize the 320gig back to its size using diskutility

Now, all this works as long as you have access to diskutility and dd on a drive which is not the boot drive. If you do then run diskutil list. It tells you which disks are what (disk0, disk1, etc...). In my case disk1 was the 320gig and disk0 the 160 gig. Now run

dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/disk0 bs=1024k

Note the /dev/disk1 will be as list in diskutil list. if= input file, of= output file, bs= block size, 1024k can be changed to your preference.

Once done, remove the 160 gig drive for safe keeping or whatever you want. The point of this is that you don't need superduper, carbon coper cloner, etc...to duplicate a drive. In any case they don't work in that they won't make a bootable drive in a hackintosh.

Thank's,

ls

• 2 months later...

Pleased to report that good old G33M-DS2R works well with the latest Snow Leopard Beta (10a411). Works in both AHCI and Native SATA mode. Legacy AHCI or SATA kexts are still required. It´s a real pity AHCI BIOS module was not updated to the 1.20 with the latest bios update (F8 final) so the post BIOS post is still taking about 10 seconds.

I am using HDAEnabler with 2 Legacy kexts as I am still unable to enable vanilla AppleHDA.kext with DSDT. As a result I can only have sound in 32 bit mode. I guess the problem is that I am using HDEF connector on the mainboard to get sound from my modded G5 front panel. AppleHDA is loaded and I can adjust volume but no sound comes out. There is no ¨Headphones¨ option in available audio devices.

Anybody has the correct PIN configuration to enable front panel output from DSDT? Can somebody repost ontoid´s dsdt please? The old link has expired.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
Pleased to report that good old G33M-DS2R works well with the latest Snow Leopard Beta (10a411). Works in both AHCI and Native SATA mode. Legacy AHCI or SATA kexts are still required. It�s a real pity AHCI BIOS module was not updated to the 1.20 with the latest bios update (F8 final) so the post BIOS post is still taking about 10 seconds.

There's a newer BIOS out now:

F9a (2009/07/31) - Update latest onboard VGA BIOS & AHCI ROM

After 4 days to try installing osX86 on this motherboard with Q6600 + 4 Go + 9600GT (Gigabyte 1 Go) + WD Raptor 74 Go ... I succed in installing Kalaway 10.5.2, but with a 8800GT.

Right now it works fine :

• Graphic card is reconize as 8800GT, thanks to osX86 Tools ^^
  • Gigabit LAN rocks
  • Firewire rocks too
  • Audio too, with osX86 Tools.

I'm happy... but I'd like to go forward in installing the retail (I have 10.5.4 disc) ... in an other hard disk.

All tuto I followed are not clear : most of them talks about installing osX befoir installig osX !?!

I try with 123 boot, but the retail load and then the computer reboot :(

Can you post an easy tuto to follow ? (I know Linux Debian Lenny and Ubuntu byTerminal)

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...
Pleased to report that good old G33M-DS2R works well with the latest Snow Leopard Beta (10a411). Works in both AHCI and Native SATA mode. Legacy AHCI or SATA kexts are still required. It�s a real pity AHCI BIOS module was not updated to the 1.20 with the latest bios update (F8 final) so the post BIOS post is still taking about 10 seconds.

I am using HDAEnabler with 2 Legacy kexts as I am still unable to enable vanilla AppleHDA.kext with DSDT. As a result I can only have sound in 32 bit mode. I guess the problem is that I am using HDEF connector on the mainboard to get sound from my modded G5 front panel. AppleHDA is loaded and I can adjust volume but no sound comes out. There is no �Headphones� option in available audio devices.

Anybody has the correct PIN configuration to enable front panel output from DSDT? Can somebody repost ontoid�s dsdt please? The old link has expired.

Thanks!

Hello

I'm using snow leopard

Could you attach the kext used to run the SATA drives in native mode?

I now use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext that allows me to start in native mode (not AHCI), but in the end of load an unpleasant wait of 20 seconds.

Thanks

Just installed Leopard for the first time using this board, updated to 10.5.8.

Booted with 'orig_boot-132.iso' which I believe I downloaded from here somewhere.

At the moment I'm using only 3 kexts as I'm not using any onboard features (graphics, network or sound):

fakesmc.kext

Disable.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Once I had a basic install I followed the guide by AsereBLN here, I'm up to about step 18.

• 1 month later...

Installed iPC Final 10.5.6 on G33M-DS2R. Intel G33.

Bios: F5 Version

(Integrated peripherals) SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode Enabled on and disable SATA RAID/AHCI Mode.

Disable Custom Graphics card, and used the in-build one for now.

Download Acronis Disk Director Suite (Hint: Google). Used this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcqYfrIn914 to make two partitions on Windows XP before installing (without OS Selector), then Installed iPC on partition.

Install Settings: Selected no custom kernels, selected ICH10, Shutdown/Restart Fix, Realtek 1000 series for Ethernet (Audio, Graphics etc not installed yet as I am using the In-build Graphics connected to monitor for now)

Booted into Mac OS X, Sucess! Went to iPC DVD and browsed for Kexts/Install Files to install Ati Radeon 2600XT PCI-E (Graphics), ALC 889A (Audio) and Netgear WGT311 (Wireless) [using Airport Extreme Card or something similar named]

Went to Bios, Set back the In-build card to use the PCI-E one.

Then disconnected in-build gfx card, connected the connection to the graphics card, reset. Graphics work Full QE/CI, Resolution, Mirroring etc!

Installed Chameleon 2 RC2 Latest Bootloader on Mac OS X, formatted secondary partition of Mac OS X using Journaled Format Setting, used Latest version of Synk 6 and the full backup setting to copy files to secondary Mac OS X partiton. Boot Success!

You can use Software Update on the secondary partition to update to 10.5.8!! :( (Keep in mind that it will automatically reset the computer when booting, afterwards it will boot normally) and use the application updates, only don't update Airport (But you can update the Client software, no problem) [Though it will only affect Airport's function, that can be fixed by re-applying the install kext]

Sleep works, but you can't awake from it. A hard reset (Flicking of the power switch) is needed in-order to restart.

• 1 month later...
Hello

I'm using snow leopard

Could you attach the kext used to run the SATA drives in native mode?

I now use AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext that allows me to start in native mode (not AHCI), but in the end of load an unpleasant wait of 20 seconds.

Thanks

Update your BIOS to F9A from Gigabyte web site. It's AHCI BIOS 1.20E and don't take the 20 seconds that you are talking about.

• 1 month later...

Okay, my install instructions for this motherboard, working with osx 10.6.2 :

OSX + WIN on the same HDD using retail installations CD, and NVIDIA PCIEx card.

buy original snow leopard install disc

buy original windows install disc

download lastest empire efi

http://prasys.co.cc/tag/empire-efi/

Actualy it's a bootable iso you have to burn, boot with (make sure you enable AHCI in your bios configuration), then you will be able to insert the snow leopard dvd and start installation on your hard drive (you have to format it using GPT partition sheme (using disk utility), if your drive was previously in MBR mode all your data on every partition will be lost -> you have to save them).

After installation is done, you have to use the empire efi bootable cd again to launch your installed snow leopard.

Now you're on snow leopard desktop, you can perfom every osx updates using Apple / Software update. Just use empire efi cd bootloader like you did if you have to reboot. The audio isn't working and display is low res, it's ok.

In the empire efi cd, there is an Extra folder, you have to get inside to find the crack. There is an installer, sorry I can't give you the options to choose, but you need most of them (read each description, notice you're doing a dsdt installation). Now you should be able to boot osx whithout empire efi cd. There is a crack for BIOS setting which may be reseted and corrupted. If your don't use it you can get an ugly POST ERROR message on boot. Just reset your bios setting (using hardware pins on motherboard, whith screwdriver, if an unknow password is asked, and remember to activate AHCI, enable USB keyb and mouse, set HPET to 64 bits...).

Now you'll need windows for doing dsdt stuff. Using disk utility, create a windows partition (choose FAT, you can change to ntfs during windows installation, and you can resize your OSX partition it she was taking the whole disk space).

Reboot with windows cd inserted, install it.

After windows is installed, if you get trouble for booting windows or osx, use the empire efi bootable cd, it's a great boot manager ;)

In windows, you will be able to create your dsdt. It's needed for having audio and graphic acceleration working.

You have to download the motherboard bios on gigabyte website (update your firmware by the way, if not done, rev F9A brings a great improvement in AHCI boot delay).

dsdt is a simple file you can generate using an utility (which need your bios), in which you will give some details about your hardware (audio chipset : realtek 889a, and video NVIDIA / ATI). Sorry but I dont retrieve the name or url, please contribute ! It's not so hard to find what I'm talking about.

After this file is generated (dsdt.am or something like that), you have to put it in your osx / (root) folder. Your NVIDIA card should work now. No need to use 'strings' in your com.apple.Boot.plist, now it's an depreciated hack, for NVIDIA at least. For ATI I don't know sorry, but you have to do the dsdt stuff like I said.

I had issue after installing windows, I was unable to start osx again without using the empire efi cd.

In osx, using fdisk utiliy (in your terminal). You have to mark your osx partition as bootable (the flag). Then install chameleon again. (and chameleon, not the package which come with empire efi and contains chameleon too, it doesn't work for me). You can find it there :

http://chameleon .osx86.hu/ (remove the space)

Now you should have the great bootloader when you start your computer from your hdd (or ssd ; ).

The audio now, after you have done dsdt stuff, download injection drivers found on this 889A topics :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...41

You need HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext, you can put them in your /Extra folder (it was created by empire efi install stuff). Reboot, audio should work now. (I had a craspy sound on my front port, but it wasn't a software problem, the audio front port cable in my computer was too close to the motherboard's alim cable, and there where many electromagnetic's noise... I tried a lot of drivers after I noticed that I had same bug in windows, and finally find this issue... One case can't be designed for every motherboard's design !).

Optionally you can find smbios.plist and place it in your /Extra folder. Editing this file will allow you to give correct informations about your hardware (CPU clocks was good for me but I had to correct FSB clocks, and it seems to be good to be reconized as a mac pro...). Look in chameleon website, this file is present in older version of chameleon.

Make a disk utility / repair permissions & reboot : audio should be fully working now.

Finally, for vmware, you'll get a problem if you want to use bootcamp, a problem with the bootable partition flag (which can be set via Terminal/ sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdsik... ). You must have the osx partition set to bootable because the windows bootloader won't allow you to boot osx. But if windows partition is not bootable, vmware launch of your bootcamp partition will failed. So :

Install vmware, don't use it.

Using fdisk, switch your windows partition to bootable.

Launch vmware, create and configure a bootcamp VM, launch it, play with it, stop it.

Quit vmware, switch your osx partition to be bootable again.

Now it should be ok, you won't have to switch manually your bootable partition, computer starting (by booting on osx partition) and vmware starting will work juste like you want, easy : )

Another vmware tips : for anyone who want to use there windows license, try to active windows under vmware. I don't know if it will work, but I can say that it won't work if you activate the native windows (not virtualized). You will lose your activation after booting under vmware (like I did, fu*k !!).

Thing I haven't fixed : using 64 bits Kernel. I have juste seen the kernel boot crash. There is advantages related to arguments passing storage convention, in register with x64 arch, so geekly speaking it's still interesting even if we don't use more than 4Gb of random memory.

Good luck, it works like a charm : sata usb firewire audio !

Ca serai bien que ceux qui ont fait une install nikel des prochaines versions d'osx avec cette carte mere postent les infos !

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone got sleep working on this board with 10.6.2? The screen goes black, but the computer won't sleep (fans are noisy, LEDs are blinking) — won't wake up either and needs a full restart. I use the new SleepEnabler kext without any effect. Sleep worked with 10.6.1!

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please upload a fully patched DSDT? Link on previous page is invalid now.

Giving a dsdt is useless because you have to enter details about your video cards (chipset brand / memory). Too many variants... but it's quite easy to generate one.

Giving a dsdt is useless because you have to enter details about your video cards (chipset brand / memory). Too many variants... but it's quite easy to generate one.

I have it now and it really isn't useless like you say. Using SL on this board with Chameleon RC4 takes care of my video. The 'variants' you might be referring to are the errors that are already within the DSDT file. I, luckily, found another copy and compared what I had in mine to it. I'm unfortunately bound to 10.5 and my task, as of late, was to install Chameleon RC3 and figure out which kexts are needed for a successful 10.5.8 boot. I think I've just about got it figured out though.

I know others do it but I don't ever put my video in the DSDT. To each his own.

Hey, i'm trying to get osx on my pc using empire-efi.

It loads up and I insert the osx disc, but after it confirms that the firewire works it gets into a loop where it says:

"still waiting for root device"

Thankful for help

Edit: Tried to force it to choose a partition vid rd=disk0s3 -v

then i got "Cannot mount root errno 19"

I've kind of have the feeling that I need to format the hdd, but don't know to what format and with what program, btw, first osx install, have win7 now.

• 1 month later...

Sleep is working fine on 10.6.2 here. This motherboard can sleep fine (hibernate does not work though). May be bad DSDT or your VGA is giving the problem. Are you using nVidia or Ati?

Anyone got sleep working on this board with 10.6.2? The screen goes black, but the computer won't sleep (fans are noisy, LEDs are blinking) — won't wake up either and needs a full restart. I use the new SleepEnabler kext without any effect. Sleep worked with 10.6.1!

• 1 year later...
Can the g33m s2l install snow leopard correctly cant get it to run properly :(

Hi, I have this exact board and I am running Lion using Tony Mac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. Works well :-) I had an issue with my video card though. I upgraded from the HD5450 to a HD5670 and I get full QE/CI functionality now :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have this exact board and I am running Lion using Tony Mac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. Works well :-) I had an issue with my video card though. I upgraded from the HD5450 to a HD5670 and I get full QE/CI functionality now :-)

Works audio too? Works out of the box?

Thanks! :-)