[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

Hi all,

i've seen a lot on the asus p5k board but not much on this one wich seems to be at least as good.

There's a quick howto atthe bottom of the page :D

Specs

GA-G33M-DS2R

Intel® G33 + ICH9R Chipset

1. Supports Intel® Core™ 2 multi-core and upcoming 45nm processors

2. Dual Channel DDR2 800 for outstanding system performance

3. Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Intel GMA 3100)

4. Integrated SATA 3Gb/s with RAID function

5. Features high speed Gigabit Ethernet and IEEE1394

6. Integrated ALC889A 8-Channel High Definition audio

BIOS settings

-SATA must be in AHCI mode ----> not necessarely nowthanks to DUNE see the last edit

-SATA must also be in native mode

--> if you don't do these two steps nor the dvd neither the HD will boot.

-you have to disable the max cpuid value limit

Installation

EDIT:I use kalyway 10.5.1 dvd, kalyway resetter to make the folders and all back to default and i also updated to 10.5.2 manually without problems using this guide (in french but the code is understandable): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry623714

I tried to install only with the toh release.

EDIT: i tried toh, brazilmac, iatkos and kalyway and i choose kalyway because it's really simple and stable.

So plug the DVD in and wait for it to install the same way as the other osx86 releases.

After reboot just let the dvd in the drive and don't press any key, otherwise you'll get the "still waiting for root device" message.

EDIT: I installed the pcEFI thing (v4) and it works!!! But i followed this guide: http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

and after patching with the usb key, i got an enless reboot sad.gif ...

Anyway booting with the kernel flag after hitting F8 at boot: mach_kernel.patched made my install bootable. I upgraded to 10.5.1 and IT WORKED, i have a fully working 10.5.1 install and the vanilla kernel thanks to netkas and his efi.

Out of the Box

IDE, 6 SATA ports (AHCI), LAN, Firewire

Graphics

If you intend to use the onboard graphics, you'll only get the vesa mode, 1024X768 noQE-CI and there's nothing to do... maybe some genius will get it to work or maybe it will work with the new EFI thing.

I used an albatron 7300 LE and i get full QE, CI with NVinject for leopard.

Networking

I didn't test the onboard LAN but it's reported to work under system preferences

I use an atheros pci w-LAN wich works perfectly with the modified IOnetworkingfamily.kext from JAS 10.4.8 and some ID adds in plist.

EDIT: see my sig i use i broadcom card wich works out of the box :P

Audio

audio ALC889a is fully working with this patch: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry436207

copy the tho kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/

then

remove the azaliaaudio.kext (some people reported that it wouldn't work without this) and

sudo chmod -R 775 /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

and remove the Extensions.kextcache

You get stereo out, mic, line in and even spdif out, Credit goes to taruga and his awesome AppleHDApatcher

ICH9 Support

If you don't want to use the AHCI mode you can use these kexts:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=16559 from this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...62111&st=20 Credits to allsop and podarok.

Copy the IOATAFamily.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in

/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Then you can remove the AHCI mode in BIOS. The problem is that you will loose SATA 5 and 6 and maybe 3 and 4 i did not try those.

By the way i didn't notice any difference in terms of performances with or without ahci, it just takes 3 more seconds to boot for the AHCI bios.

Booting problems

EDIT: now it's useless with kalyway

As i said before, you'll need the dvd in the drive to boot your HD.

It's a known issue and there are multiple solutions to get it boot.

I used this:

I booted from the TOH install dvd then:

cd /usr/misc/

then

./script.sh

And i did it about 8 times!!!

The first time i did it only once and it wasn't bootable at all, so don't hesitate. I also got some errors but it worked anyway.

Remaining issues

EDIT: now boots quick and my Q6600 is not recognized as quad core but activity monitor sees the 4 cores even shutdown and restart is ok with the fix inclueded in the install dvd and an option in bios changed from instant off to 4 seconds delay.

- It takes quite a lot of time to boot (25secs).

- System profiler reports my E4300 core2duo as Core 2 solo but activity monitor sees 2 core so i don't care. it seems that i depends on the kernel. Some also say that it's related to smbios.kext but i tries about 5 of them and none worked. Maybe i'll try another kernel.

- It also takes quite a lot of time to shutdown (20secs).

- I tried to overclock it but no way, i seems to work but i get kernel panics... it's really strange since a lot of people seem to overclock it easily, but i don't think they did it on a hackintosh. I finally overclocked easyly my E4300 @2,3ghz

BUT IT'S REALLY STABLE, it's on since 2 days and is really really quick!!!

EDIT:

With the kalyway install, you can remove the AHCI in bios, but if you use more than 2g of ram, you'll get some kernel panics.

Go get the kext from here: thread and follow the little tuto.

You'll get all 6 sata ports working in native mode and maybe like me a increase in disk speed (xbench disk tests from 64 to 69), boot time will also be reduced.

QUICK HOW-TO

Befor all choose the bios options listed above (especially ahci otherwise, it won't install).

1- Download and install te kalyway dvd and select the vanilla kernel and acpi fix in the customize install menu, don't forget to choose the right boot patch.

2- backup the appleacpiplatform.kext (located in system/library/extensions/)

3- Download and install the kalyway 10.5.2 update and the vanilla kernels package.

4- Use kext helper (in your application folder) and drag all the kexts you need (all the ones from alc889.zip linked before, the backuped appleacpiplatform) onto it and click install. Then remove the extensions.mkext manually (it's located in system/library/)

Here it is, you should be done and everything is working sound ethernet 6 sata ports ide(only if you have less than 2gb ram if you have more, you'll get kernel panics using it) firewire reboot shutdown and so on.

If you want to get rid of ahci, you can grab the DUNE kexts here and install them using kexthelper, don't forget to remove AppleViaAta kext: his thread and tuto is here. Then reboot and remove the ahci setting. If you have two HD, you'll have to set the right one to be the first boot device.

Hope this is easy enough :P

I overclock my 6300 to 3.01ghz (430 fsb) I use efi v4. With modded kernel I bootup in about 10 secs but shutdown is about 30 secs since upgraded to 10.5.1 (had to replace kernel to get it to shutdown etc ok)

My overclocking problems were issues of the Toh kernel i think, i got panics everytime i booted but now i'm ok , E4300@2.16 ghz!!!

To podarok: Do you think this will increase my disk performances, in xbench i get very poor ones?

ICH9 Support

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=16559 from this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...62111&st=20 Credits to allsop and podarok.

Copy the IOATAFamily.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in

Then you can remove the AHCI mode in BIOS. The problem is that you will loose SATA 5 and 6 and maybe 3 and 4 i did not try those.

By the way i didn't notice any difference in terms of performances with or without ahci, it just takes 3 more seconds to boot for the AHCI bios.

Hey all. just a quick question about ICH9. I plan on buying a motherboard that is capable of RAID5 in leopard and has gigabit ethernet. what are the advantages to having ICH9 running under Leopard OSx86, as aposed to AHCI?

thanx in advance,

jordn

This is really strange, all you have to do is put the dvd in... Is your hard drive ide or sata? and the dvd drive? You can also try to reset bios settings and then set sata to ahci. You also can try without the native mode.

Mayebe the last possibility is that you dvd was burned too fast and has errors in it. I remember i got this with one of the first releases of tiger.

Hope this helps.

To Podarok: do you have any news/problems with the id's i gave you? Is the patch working? if you need testers, i'm there!

And the jordn question is interesting: "what are the advantages to having ICH9 running under Leopard OSx86, as posed to AHCI? "

This is really strange, all you have to do is put the dvd in... Is your hard drive ide or sata? and the dvd drive? You can also try to reset bios settings and then set sata to ahci. You also can try without the native mode.

Mayebe the last possibility is that you dvd was burned too fast and has errors in it. I remember i got this with one of the first releases of tiger.

Hope this helps.

To Podarok: do you have any news/problems with the id's i gave you? Is the patch working? if you need testers, i'm there!

And the jordn question is interesting: "what are the advantages to having ICH9 running under Leopard OSx86, as posed to AHCI? "

Both drives are SATA. I'm sure it has to do with the BIOS settings so I'll fool with those, but I'll get a fresh ToH copy just in case.

I have same G33 Chipset but with no luck...

i am getting these at -v mode

Extension "com.Apple.driver AppleACPIplateform" has immediate dependencies on both com.Apple.kernel and com.Apple.Kpi " components: use only one style

Extension "com.Apple.driver AppleIntelCPUManagement "has immediate dependencies on both com.Apple.kernel and com.Apple.Kpi " components: use only one style

devfs_make_node: not ready for devices

ACPI: Button driver prevents system from sleep

Extension "com.Apple.driver ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.Apple.kernel and com.Apple.Kpi " components: use only one style

From path: uuid

waiting for boot volume with uuid AOFO6784_

Here it freezes not going further

I used every leopard dvd (ToH, Flat image, Brazil) released to date, even Tiger..but same error as above.

my bios setting FOR SATA WD hdd is AHCI,

while other IDE drive to which i am trying to install is as mater, while in slave is creative dvd RW.(I even tried other way arround but result is same) :censored2:

My specs are:

Mobo = intel DG33FB (ON board graphic and sound)

Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

HDD WD 200GB Sata (native mode as IDE) and seagate 80GB hdd At IDE Slot as master, slaving creative dvd writer.

O.S = Window XP Pro

Any help will be highly appericiated.

I'm running ToH release with EFI 5.2 and the 10.5.1 update, stock kernel. Works great, I have Adobe CS3, Quark, Parallels, iWork all running fine.

I am using this mobo with an E2180 @ 2.8ghz, sata hd, 7300Gt and 2gb (450mhz) ram. Xbench of 175 inc HD tests.

There are two niggly issues though.

I have Orange icons for my sata drives, I don't really want to just replace the icon, how can I make it realise it is an internal drive?

Also it seems to take a while to boot as mentioned in the guide, 20-30 seconds. When I first installed it the boot was maybe 10 secs. How can I find the slowdown? do we all have this issue?

Cheers :P

I have Orange icons for my sata drives, I don't really want to just replace the icon, how can I make it realise it is an internal drive?

It simply shows that your drives are sata... If you don't want this, try the ICH9 patch from podarok listed above but you'll loose 4 sata plugs. He's making a better ich9 driver right now but i'm still waiting.

Also it seems to take a while to boot as mentioned in the guide, 20-30 seconds. When I first installed it the boot was maybe 10 secs. How can I find the slowdown? do we all have this issue?

I still have it and almost everyone had the same issues, and i also got the first boot really quick. Check this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=71317&st=0

Hi all,

i've seen a lot on the asus p5k board but not much on this one wich seems to be at least as good.

Specs

GA-G33M-DS2R

Intel® G33 + ICH9R Chipset

1. Supports Intel® Core™ 2 multi-core and upcoming 45nm processors

2. Dual Channel DDR2 800 for outstanding system performance

3. Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Intel GMA 3100)

4. Integrated SATA 3Gb/s with RAID function

5. Features high speed Gigabit Ethernet and IEEE1394

6. Integrated ALC889A 8-Channel High Definition audio

BIOS settings

-SATA must be in AHCI mode

-SATA must also be in native mode

--> if you don't do these two steps nor the dvd neither the HD will boot.

-you have to disable the max cpuid value limit

Installation

I tried to install only with the toh release.

So plug the DVD in and wait for it to install the same way as the other osx86 releases.

After reboot just let the dvd in the drive and don't press any key, otherwise you'll get the "still waiting for root device" message.

EDIT: I installed the pcEFI thing (v4) and it works!!! But i followed this guide: http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

and after patching with the usb key, i got an enless reboot sad.gif ...

Anyway booting with the kernel flag after hitting F8 at boot: mach_kernel.patched made my install bootable. I upgraded to 10.5.1 and IT WORKED, i have a fully working 10.5.1 install and the vanilla kernel thanks to netkas and his efi.

Out of the Box

IDE, 6 SATA ports (AHCI), LAN i think, Firewire i think

Graphics

If you intend to use the onboard graphics, you'll only get the vesa mode, 1024X768 noQE-CI and there's nothing to do... maybe some genius will get it to work or maybe it will work with the new EFI thing.

I used an albatron 7300 LE and i get full QE, CI with NVinject for leopard.

Networking

I didn't test the onboard LAN but it's reported to work under system preferences

I use a atheros pci w-LAN wich works perfectly with the modified IOnetworkingfamily.kext from JAS 10.4.8 and some ID adds in plist.

Audio

audio ALC889a is fully working with this patch: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry436207

copy the tho kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/

then

remove the azaliaaudio.kext (some people reported that it wouldn't work without this) and

sudo chmod -R 775 /System/Library/Extensions/*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

and remove the Extensions.kextcache

You get stereo out, mic, line in and even spdif out, Credit goes to taruga and his awesome AppleHDApatcher

ICH9 Support

Booting problems

As i said before, you'll need the dvd in the drive to boot your HD.

It's a known issue and there are multiple solutions to get it boot.

I used this:

I booted from the TOH install dvd then:

cd /usr/misc/

then

./script.sh

And i did it about 8 times!!!

The first time i did it only once and it wasn't bootable at all, so don't hesitate. I also got some errors but it worked anyway.

Remaining issues

- It takes quite a lot of time to boot (25secs).

- System profiler reports my E4300 core2duo as Core 2 solo but activity monitor sees 2 core so i don't care. it seems that i depends on the kernel. Some also say that it's related to smbios.kext but i tries about 5 of them and none worked. Maybe i'll try another kernel.

- It also takes quite a lot of time to shutdown (20secs).

- I tried to overclock it but no way, i seems to work but i get kernel panics... it's really strange since a lot of people seem to overclock it easily, but i don't think they did it on a hackintosh.

Hi.

I canot get working PCI slots on board. OsX canot find PCI-wLAN cards! Pls help! Whats U do to make it working? 

Hi.

I canot get working PCI slots on board. OsX canot find PCI-wLAN cards! Pls help! Whats U do to make it working?

What you say is really strange... I didn't do anything to make them work... I have a pci airport card and it worked without doing anything. I suggest you to reset your bios setting maybe you've disabled something. Optimized defaults and enabling ahci works well. Maybe it's not a pci problem but a wireless card problem. The wireless drivers are not the same in tiger and leopard. If you got it to work under tiger try using the same kexts. If you didn't, maybe that's the point :( What are your card model and ids?

• 1 month later...

gma 3100 not working, iatkos

first, thysm00 thanks, for the how to,

did try kalyway also, ended up with iatkos, got sleep working, 7300gs in it,

the ahci bugs me too, the latest bios, adds a lower multiplier for memory,

1.8 to 2.8ghz possible, right now, just tired of playing with bios,... 2ghz,...

gma 3100, well, my 7300gs came with a fan, if the gma 3100 would work,

I could get it, fanless ,.... quiet is king,.... I am at 86W , with 4 discs, 3 in sleep,

sleep / wake works for now, and is a big green thing for me, (first noise, 2nd power consumption,..)

for sound I use, a usb dongle, gigabit works, could not figure out keyboard driver s 510 logitech,

got the apple alu one, so far so good,

shutdown, restart problem,.... changed the PSU, seams better now,

stock fan, mostly off, but chipsets , especially with OC /overclock get hot,

thinking, to get better chipset coolers /heatsinks

sata hotplug, not working,... since I got a load of discs, would love hotplug working,

thinking an sata card pci-e, 4 ports, with esata ,... could do the trick, just don't know wich one,

that would also give more ports for dvd burners, for backup /ripping,

DVD , eject hickups, reboot needed,... LG drive, seam to be especially bad with OC, anybody noticed ?

last thing,... once perfected, think it be nice, to have an image file of the whole install,

that way it be lock and load,..... what you think, would you like that, bolt on motherboard,

restore image (ccc) aka 20min, done playing, back to work ?