Fully working audio for Realtek ALC885

MikeInNs

32 posts in this topic

I noticed some people have problems getting audio working on nforce 680i boards like the EVGA one.

Thanks to the Azalia drivers it was possible to get 2 channels stereo but no input or digital, headphone etc.

Thanks to the hard work of Taruga I managed to get mine fully working, Internal speakers, Headphone, Line Out, Digital Out, Microphone, Line-In etc.

This will work for the EVGA 680I SLI board (and maybe other boards with the same chip) which have the ALC885 chipset with the following ID's:

Vendor: 10EC

Device: 0885

SubSystem: 10ECE601

Revision: 1001

In order to get it working download the Taruga AppleHDApatcher v1.16.zip from:

AppleHDApatcher v1.16.zip

and use my codec dump which I attached.

I am running 10.4.10 with kernel 8.10.1 which might be important if you want to give it a try as well.

The install DVD I used is MacDotNub Mac OS X 10.4.10 V1 R5 which works excellent on my system (thanks Mac.Nub!)

Everything is working except still unable to write to SATA drives. (use IDE or external USB like I do)

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks again to all the people developing drivers and looking for solutions, very much appriciated!

Mike

ALC_885_Codec.txt

• 2 weeks later...
I tried on Leopard but the patcher can't seem to make it work...

I get a * Detected unsupported Realtek Codec :(

Hi Weekender,

You might want to try the AppleHDApatcher v1.17, this one is specifically designed for Leo.

Because I am still running Tiger I couldn't tell you if it will work or not.

Good Luck!

Mike

Hi Weekender,

You might want to try the AppleHDApatcher v1.17, this one is specifically designed for Leo.

Because I am still running Tiger I couldn't tell you if it will work or not.

Good Luck!

Mike

It did the same thing with v1.17.

But someone with the same mobo (and Leopard as well) as me told me it worked for him, so I deceided to give it another try.

So I just redownloaded your ALC885 dump directly from my hackintosh and it worked perfect!

So I'm good now. Yesterday what I did is download it from my PC laptop and got it transfered to my hacintosh with a USB key, I guess it messed the dup somehow.

Anyway, sound is good now,

THanks a lot man :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It did the same thing with v1.17.

But someone with the same mobo (and Leopard as well) as me told me it worked for him, so I deceided to give it another try.

So I just redownloaded your ALC885 dump directly from my hackintosh and it worked perfect!

So I'm good now. Yesterday what I did is download it from my PC laptop and got it transfered to my hacintosh with a USB key, I guess it messed the dup somehow.

Anyway, sound is good now,

THanks a lot man :)

How do you use that dump directly ?

I am a newbie to kexts etc.; can you give detailed info ?

Have installed osx86 10.4.10

Thanks already.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

i used your codec dump with patcher 1.20 and it works great!

one question though, im trying to use line in from my xbox360 and i see with the equalizer thing under audio in system preferences that the audio is coming in and that its recognized, but its not sending the audio out through my speakers/headphones which are working fine if i play stuff on my computer. any help getting my line in to output to my speakers would be much appreciated.

and thank you once again for the codec dump!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How the hell do you use the codec dump?

Just download both. To download the text file, if it just brings you to a page of text, just hit Apple-S and it will prompt you to save it. Save it to the same foldler as the HDApatcher, and then just *drag* the codec dump onto the icon of the HDApatcher (the frog)

It will prompt you for a password, and then it will do it's magic. -_-

I noticed some people have problems getting audio working on nforce 680i boards like the EVGA one.

Thanks to the Azalia drivers it was possible to get 2 channels stereo but no input or digital, headphone etc.

Thanks to the hard work of Taruga I managed to get mine fully working, Internal speakers, Headphone, Line Out, Digital Out, Microphone, Line-In etc.

This will work for the EVGA 680I SLI board (and maybe other boards with the same chip) which have the ALC885 chipset with the following ID's:

I am running 10.4.10 with kernel 8.10.1 which might be important if you want to give it a try as well.

The install DVD I used is MacDotNub Mac OS X 10.4.10 V1 R5 which works excellent on my system (thanks Mac.Nub!)

Everything is working except still unable to write to SATA drives. (use IDE or external USB like I do)

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks again to all the people developing drivers and looking for solutions, very much appriciated!

Mike

I have a similar setup to you (check sig) except for my cpu (e6600 which I can only seem to get working with cpus=1) and that I'm running leo 10.5.2 kalyway. I just ran your alc0885 patch and it worked perfectly, along with your forcedeth hack as well. If you have your rig running with 2 cores I'd love to know how, I'm using the AppleSMBIOS 667 (standard and 800 crashed whatever the boot params) at the moment so not getting the full capabilities of my setup at all. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure this lets line-in and microphone work? I've patched it, and it's enabled the output. But under input, it still lists built-in and it's shaded out (can't select it).

I used Patcher v1.20 with Leopard v10.5.2.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for doing the hard work it worked for me.

Motherboard: BloodIron (Newegg)

CPU: Q6600

GRAPHICS: EVGA 8800GTS

DVDRW: Asus SATA

FIREWIRE: 2 cards (work with FW410) (Old Matrox card + Old Compaq Presario Z6000 card)

HDD: 750 gig Segate SATA

RAM: Crucial Ballistic DDR800 2 gig

SOUND: MAudio Firewire 410

PSU: Antec NeoHE500

885 analog audio working with patch have not tested digital

Not tested: IDE and Roswell SATA card (for external eSATA)

Ahanex D4 case

• 3 weeks later...

I have a nvidia 680i with alc885 audio that i cant get to work? The patcher posted does not allow me to drag and drop the codec you posted, any suggestions???

Hope this helps you out!

Mike

I have a nvidia 680i with alc885 audio that i cant get to work? The patcher posted does not allow me to drag and drop the codec you posted, any suggestions???

Save in one folder patcher application and txt file with codec info

Do not start patcher, just drag and drop txt file with codec info icon on top of patcher application icon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've installed the alc885 codec, but it doesn't seem to work with my eVGA 680i sli board.

I can't remember exactly, but I looked in windows and my subsystem id didn't match what was in the codec dump. Also windows reported a revision of 1001 not 100101.

My vender ID is for sure 885 though.

Is this why OSX still reports no on board audio after I patch?

Any help would be great.

I've also could not get the azalia patch to work either. OSX still reported "no onboard audio"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...