Firescape 0.1 RC2 (Customized Firefox) Universal

Pu7o

25 posts in this topic

Well, since I don't have 10.4.3 (yet), I was forced to cross-compile Firescape from PPC instead of being able to build it natively. So, I don't have the slightest clue if this thing actually runs or not.

Firescape is a customized Firefox with tons of extensions.

The link to the OS X Universal version is http://puto.mozfaq.org/firescape/firescape-v0.1rc3.dmg

Would anyone please tell me if this thing actually runs, and if there are any serious bugs? I applied the Flash patch, so Flash should work. To note that I never once tried this thing in an x86, so as far as I know, it might not even work at all!

The webpage is http://puto.mozfaq.org/firescape

EDIT: Changed link to Release Candidate 3 which fixes the preferences window.

Edited by Pu7o

It didnt work at all guy. I dragged the file in the extension installer box, then the themse installer box opened and from what I saw, installed it. I restarted ff but no additional extentions or themes are installed. So, i roled back to my original ff profile just in case :). Can you post what ext are suppose to come with this? I only installed this because you asked :D

edit: there is a new release of ff with flash working. so no need to patch for flash i think.

Well, so far, it has the following:

• Flashblock v1.5
  • DJGM.co.uk Toolbar v1.0
  • Fasterfox 1.0.1
  • New Tab Button on Tab Bar 1.0
  • Tab X 0.9.2
  • Chatzilla 0.9.69.1
  • WML Browser 0.6.10
  • Mozilla Calendar
  • True Aqua Widgets
  • GrApple Pro Theme

The Windows version also has IE Tab and has Winstripe Classic instead of GrApple Pro.

Yeppers, that fixed it. The reason why that toolbar was not responding is because I wasn't actually clicking on the arrows. Arrows are too small i guess. Now just a few asthetic annoyance :P

The DJGM.co.uk Toolbar is just plain ugly. Is there a way to uninstall the plugins and toolbars without reinstalling? It dont have the ability to import existing Firefox plugins.

I think it created the /opt folder in the root drive. Not good since the folder under it are all empty.

I love the calendar and I hope it can work with iCal and Address book some day :)

great job!

To remove the DJGM.co.uk toolbar, open the terminal and type:

sudo rm -rf /Applications/Firescape/Firescape.app/Contents/MacOS/chrome/djgm.manifest

Even though the toolbar files will still be there, removing the manifest makes Firescape not load them.

It's nearly impossible that Firescape could have created a /opt. There's no code for that in either Firescape or the installer.

Thanks for helping me test this on OS X x86 :)

{censored}, I wonder what created the /opt dir. I don't need it yet :(. ANyway, i just about finished mirroring the extensions and themes from my existing ff install. I just like the built in calendar on Firescape and the WML extension. I need that for a PDA site i'm designing :).

Edit: about the /opt. I forgot I installed darwinports, which i was working on. till I got sidetracked by Firescape. bummer

Edited by domino

By the way, there's definitely something which I find to be strangely wrong with that crash dump you gave me...

Date/Time: 2006-01-18 23:47:33.090 +0800

OS Version: 10.4.4 (Build 8G1165)

Report Version: 4

Command: firefox-bin

Path: /Applications/Firescape/Firescape.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

Parent: launchd [1]

Version: 1.6a1 (1.6a1)

PID: 1291

Thread: 3

Exception: EXC_BREAKPOINT (0x0006)

Code[0]: 0x00000002

Code[1]: 0x00000000

Considering that I built this completely from Firefox 1.5.0.1 source code, I don't understand what's that 1.6a1 doing there...

Thats what the logs gave me. Does it matter that I also have firefox 1.5 built on firefox 1.5.0.1 source? I think not, but you should know that it is also installed. Here is the exact log from the console.

Edit: don't mind the OS version. I edited the OS version in order to get iMovie to work properly.

firefox_bin.crash.log.zip

Edited by domino

I'm more worried about the memory leak on this version. I know it's normal for mozilla browsers to consume around 100mb, but checking the memory consumption, is this normal for Firescape? I run firefox 1.5 for 3 hrs but never got higher than 100mb real memory and 350mb virt memory. I think that's still high for a browser, but ther's nothing we can do about that other than using Opera.

picture12aa.png

Edited by domino

yeah, that's pretty normal, the more extensions, the bigger the leak becomes...

Why can't the Mozilla guys fix this for once? :)

I agree. That's prolly the most annoying thing about mozilla apps. I think I can stand not having plugins in exchange with lower memory consumption. I really don't have as much extensions like I used to. Only 5 on my linux and OS X install. I also wished there was a way to find out how much memory plugins use other than trying to see disable each plugin and test. I guess that's what comes with using these types of browsers. Then again, IE doesn't come with it's own memory leak problems as well :).

I applied one of the workarounds for the memory leak that I saw somewhere on the web and it seems to work (about:config ; set browser.cache.memory.capacity to 16384). If it seems to not leak for a couple days I'll put it in RC4.

Thanks Puto :). I'll be waiting for RC4. I tried the hack on FF 1.5 and the real memory hasn't gone above 80mb. Good find! I'll set it on all FF platform. I wonder what side affects thee is with setting it to 16384.

OT: I feel like i'm disreptecting you calling you by your name. I grew up with Mexicans, Cubanos, and Columbians. Puto wasn't really a good thing to call people unless you want to get in a fight :D

Missing flash plug-in.

It is great to hear that people are starting to get flash and java working right, too bad I screwed the pooch. In earlier times trying to get flash working I installed (and then uninstalled) the PPC version from macromedia.com. So, right now I have no flash at all. Could someone possibly post the current flash plug-in from 10.4.3 8F111G. You could help me out by telling me where to put it to, forgot exactly where it goes.

Thanks all

Thanks Puto :offtopic:. I'll be waiting for RC4. I tried the hack on FF 1.5 and the real memory hasn't gone above 80mb. Good find! I'll set it on all FF platform. I wonder what side affects thee is with setting it to 16384.

OT: I feel like i'm disreptecting you calling you by your name. I grew up with Mexicans, Cubanos, and Columbians. Puto wasn't really a good thing to call people unless you want to get in a fight :idea:

That's not my name, it's my nickname. And I chose it, so I obviously don't feel disrespected. Don't worry about it.

OK, 0.1 Final is out, (no RC4, just made this one final) with the memory leak fix that I told you about before...

The page is http://www.firescape.co.nr with a cool little news module that I wrote in PHP and Shell Scripting.

It probably works in OS X X86, since the last one worked, but I'd like to make sure... Anybody wants to try it? :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
OK, 0.1 Final is out, (no RC4, just made this one final) with the memory leak fix that I told you about before...

The page is http://www.firescape.co.nr with a cool little news module that I wrote in PHP and Shell Scripting.

It probably works in OS X X86, since the last one worked, but I'd like to make sure... Anybody wants to try it? :censored2:

I'd like to try this out but he site doesn't work for me at the moment. Have you considered making optimized versions for g4 and intel processors?