The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread!

antaholics

718 posts in this topic

Update:

Since the beginning of this thread, we've really refined the way we installed OS X and now most of the components are fully working. Currently, the discussion is being moved toward Leopard installation, which has its own tutorial and thread found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98504

Enjoy,

Ant

April 10, 2008

=============================================

Hi all,

This thread is directed to the people who own one of the newer core 2 duo Asus F3 series notebooks (Namely F3SC, F3SV, F3E, F3JP, F3JR, etc).

Since we are all scattered throughout the forum I thought it'd be good to start a "main" thread for the Asus F3 series so that people own these notebooks can help each other out, instead of asking around to a lot of people who aren't familiar with the series.

The good news is that AlexIT has gotten his F3SC to work with OSX 10.4.10, and he has offered to give some hints to making other F3 series notebooks run OSX as well!

Working Notebooks (please let us know if yours works so I can add it to this list):

1. Asus F3SC

2. Asus F3SV

3. Asus W7S

===========================================================================

Below are Guides to installing OSX 10.4.8 on your Asus F3 laptop and updating it to 10.4.11!

===========================================================================

Last Updated: Nov. 30, 2007

Hi all, this is the complete guidelines on how to install OSX 10.4.8 on your Asus F3 Series laptop!! :wacko: (Updating to 10.4.11 will be covered in a separate tutorial.)

All credits go to AlexIT for creating this method.

What you need:

1. Asus F3 series laptop (or other Asus laptop experiencing the same problems)

2. JaS OSX 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 install DVD, or Uphuck OSX 10.4.9 v1.3 install DVD (if you use another version and it works please let us know so I can add it to this tutorial!!)

3. Windows Vista Install DVD... in case your computer doesn't boot up anymore

4. basic computer skills... or instruction-following skills (I edited AlexIT's original instructions slightly and added parts to clarify things in hopes that it will be dummy proof... if you still need any explaination or if something is unclear please let me know!)

5. Patience... LOTS of it.

6. Luck!

First you need to make space on your HD for the OSX partition. Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Delete a partition, shrink your partitions, whatever. Make at lease 6GB of free space.

NOTE: playing around with partitions may result in loss of data. Neither I nor anyone else on this forum will not be held responsible if you lose information on your computer. BACK EVERYTHING UP!!

Open up diskpart (start>run>diskpart.exe) (run it in admin mode if you're on vista) and type in:

list disk
select disk 0 (replace 0 with your disk #)
create partition primary id=af

then reboot your computer and boot into the JaS install DVD using the tags

cpus=1 -v -x

If your install DVD hangs a "using 10485 buffer... " try different BIOS versions from the Asus website. With the F3SV I found that ver207 doesn't work (for JaS 10.4.8) but ver 203 and 206 work fine. I suggest BIOS ver. 206. For F3SC ver 208 works.

Follow the on-screen installation to install OSX 10.4.8. ONLY install the base system and SSE3 kernel. Install SATA/JMICRON/AHCI/ICH8/PATA/IDE if necessary.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY PATCHES OR EXTRA KEXTS!!!

At the end of the install your computer will reboot, and most likely it will hang at "using 10485 buffer headers..." when it boots from the HD.

If this is the case, boot from DVD, press F8, and boot using these flags :

-x -v cpus=1 rd=disk#s# "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32@60"

where disk#s# is your HD (e.g. disk0s3)

Note: if your DVD doesn't let you F8, you must boot into a Windows Vista install DVD and use the repair option. Instead of running system repair, open up command prompt and use diskpart (type "diskpart" at command prompt) and type:

select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2 (replace 2 with the number of your Vista partition)
active

then reboot.

After booting into OSX, set up your account info. After logging in, open the HD , create a folder called KEXT and put inside the Extensions.mkext from the DVD (/System/Library/ in the DVD).

Open up Terminal and become "root"

sudo -s

Edit file "/etc/rc" with "nano" command

nano /etc/rc

insert

SafeBoot=""

at the beginning (first non commented line) , and the line

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/.HIDDEN/dsmos.kext

in the second half, after "# Create local NetInfo database if it doesn't exist".

Ctrl+X to save.

Now in /sbin create the "makemkext" command using the command

nano /sbin/makemkext

This opens up a blank file, so add the following code:

#!/bin/sh
find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;
kextcache -e -a i386 -k -f
sync

Ctrl+X to save.

the do a

chmod 777 /sbin/makemkext

in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist modify as below:

...(some lines) 
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>cpus=1 -v -x</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32@60</string> 
<key>MKext Cache</key>
<string>/System/Library/Extensions.mkext</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string> 
...(some more lines)

Now extract some Extensions from DVD.

cd /KEXT
mkextunpack -d . ./Extensions.mkext

Open up a finder window and go to the /KEXT folder.

You will notice that there are 7 .kext files that begin with AppleACPI...

Right click AppleACPIPlatform.kext, and click "Show Package Contents", and open the "Contents" folder.

Create a folder named "PlugIns" on your desktop and movethe other 6 AppleACPI kext files into the folder.

Then drag the PlugIns folder from your desktop into the "Contents" folder in /KEXT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Now replace some kexts...

Back in Terminal, as "root", type in:

rm -fR /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext 
rm -fR /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
cp -r /KEXT/AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ 
cp -r /KEXT/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -fR /KEXT
makemkext
reboot

Execute them line by line ... and see for errors.

The "makemkext" can take a long time ... 1 or 2 minute, and will output tons of warnings .. it's ok ... you have to see only if in the last 4 lines there is something different, or strange.

Reboot, and see if it works!! Good Luck!!!

If it works, please let us know by posting on this thread (include your model number so we know which laptops it works for)!!! (If not, let us know where you got stuck too!)

===========================================================

Coming soon: How to update to 10.4.11!

Hi all,

I have news for you.

A good one and a bad one.

First the good one.

. I have an ASUS-F3SC running Tiger OSX 10.4.10 (kernel 8.10.3).

The bad one.

. only 1 core

. no audio in or mic

. no internal lan or wireless

. no ci/qe on my nvidia 8400M (and LCD only)

. no cardreader

I don't have much time to give to this forum, so :

DON'T SEND ME EMAIL OR PRIVATE MESSAGE (I'll never reply)

Be patience and wait till I have time to write you back ... :(

I installed 10.4.8 on my notebook on june07 ( the same day I bought it ;) ), and I never did it again, so my memory can fail on it :(

Then I'll update to 10.4.10 with applecomboupdate (and some tricks, of course)

Let's go to the problem, now.

I think that the real problem is the buggy bios support for ACPI/APIC.

The only one boot-dvd that can boot (that i know) is JAS-10.4.8, and you have to use some flags (pressing F8 at darwin-bootloader prompt):

-x -v cpus=1 Mode"="1280x800x32@60"

After installation I cannot boot , because the system hangs with "Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

But ... booting from DVD and using this bootflags

-x -v cpus=1 Mode"="1280x800x32@60" rd=/dev/disk0s3

I can get into the installed os !!! (disk0s3 is partion n.4 of disk n.1, you must change it for with the correct value)

So, I try to understand why the jas-dvd boot can boot my system but the installed system cannot.

The first difference I notice is that in the DVD the folder /System/Library/Extensions is missing , so the kernel HAVE TO load extensions form the cachefiles /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

So, you can try (first) this thing:

.  boot with -x -v cpus=1 Mode"="1280x800x32@60" rd=/dev/disk0s3
.  rename /System/Library/Extensions to /System/Library/ExtensionZ (for example) 
.  copy /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and  /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache form JAS-DVD to your /
.  run DISKUTILITY and FIXPERMISSIONS
.  reboot (and cross your fingers)

If this works than ... you have my (solved) problem ... and I can help you :P

Otherwise ... sorry :P

I'm waiting for your feedback here ... before keeping on ...

Let's go to the problem, now.

I think that the real problem is the buggy bios support for ACPI/APIC.

The only one boot-dvd that can boot (that i know) is JAS-10.4.8, and you have to use some flags (pressing F8 at darwin-bootloader prompt):

-x -v cpus=1 Mode"="1280x800x32@60"

After installation I cannot boot , because the system hangs with "Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

But ... booting from DVD and using this bootflags

-x -v cpus=1 Mode"="1280x800x32@60" rd=/dev/disk0s3

I can get into the installed os !!! (disk0s3 is partion n.4 of disk n.1, you must change it for with the correct value)

So, I try to understand why the jas-dvd boot can boot my system but the installed system cannot.

The first difference I notice is that in the DVD the folder /System/Library/Extensions is missing , so the kernel HAVE TO load extensions form the cachefiles /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

So, you can try (first) this thing:

.  boot with -x -v cpus=1 Mode"="1280x800x32@60" rd=/dev/disk0s3
.  rename /System/Library/Extensions to /System/Library/ExtensionZ (for example) 
.  copy /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and  /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache form JAS-DVD to your /
.  run DISKUTILITY and FIXPERMISSIONS
.  reboot (and cross your fingers)

If this works than ... you have my (solved) problem ... and I can help you :rolleyes:

Otherwise ... sorry :queen:

I'm waiting for your feedback here ... before keeping on ...

I'm using uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.3 because that is the only version of the DVD that would boot for me. JAs 10.4.8 worked before but now it doesn't anymore, and I suspect it was because I updated my BIOS from ver. 204 or 203 (don't remember) to ver. 207.

I followed these steps for my 10.4.9, but the uphuck DVD only had System/Library/Extensions.mkext and not the Extensions.kextcache. I only replaced the Extensions.mkext and deleted the Extensions folder (I couldn't rename it, so I copied it to the desktop and deleted it), and it worked! Now I can boot into my hard drive without the DVD but with the "cpus=1 -v -x "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32"" tags! It boots into safe mode but I guess its a lot better than nothing.

I noticed something interesting though. Before I changed extensions.mkext with the DVD one, I could boot up without the DVD without cpus=1 (2 cores work?)... but it gets stuck at "using 10485 buffer headers..." whether I use -x or not. When I replaced extensions.mkext I MUST use the cpus=1 tag or the system reboots right away. Is that worth taking note of?

Now I'm excited to get this thing working! <_<

I ... deleted the Extensions folder (I couldn't rename it, so I copied it to the desktop and deleted it)...

Very bad thing ... I think you have to reinstall from scratch!

The Extensions folder is required to use the system!

Let's going on ...

Now you're required to know something from unix/linux.

Open TERMINAL application.

To do changes to system files you must be "root" (that's the system administrator)

In OSX you can becam root typing

sudo -s

and giving your (user) password.

Now we know that the presence of the Extensions folder is a problem for the bootloader.

We have to tell the bootloader not to see the Exteions folder.

I don't know if there is a bootflag to tell where to search that folder , and I had no time to modify the bootloader itself not to search it at all.

Instead, I can tell the system to rename that folder at startup and at shutdown. Let's see how.

Another important things, I was forgetting: the bootflag -x we are using, tells the bootloader to start the system in SafeMode (i.e. with minimal extensions loaded) but we WANT a complete system!

Here are what changes to the "/etc/rc" startup files (in the installed OS, not the dvd , of course!)

Open it with nano editor (you must be "root")

nano  /etc/rc

add a line just afert the comments (i.e. line 3) with

SafeBoot=""

so telling the system to ignore the "-x" flag given at startup

Some lines downwards you see a line with the command

"mount -uw /".

After that line type

mv /System/Library/ExtensionZ /System/Library/Extensions

so telling the system to put back the Extensions folder to its own position after bootstrap fase.

Many lines downwards (in the second half of the file) you see a line with the comment

"# Create local NetInfo database if it doesn't exist".

Before that line type

It's no usefull now, but it will help later, when we will use the original kernel from apple.

Exit and save (with nano type ctrl+x).

Now we have to modify shutdown and reboot commands, in the /sbin folder, type:

cd /sbin
mv shutdown shutdown.orig
mv reboot reboot.orig

and create a new "shutdown" (with nano) with this code:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/makemkext
$0.orig $*

and you need a new "reboot" with the very same code,

so you can type

cp shutdown reboot

So you are telling the system to call a command "makemkext" before shutting-down or rebooting.

Now create the "makemkext" command with this code:

#!/bin/sh
mv /System/Library/ExtensionZ /System/Library/Extensions
find /System/Library/Extensions -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
mv /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/ExtensionZ
sync

This will correct wrong permission in the Extension folder, re-create new cache files for it,

put away the Extensions folder ... at any reboot.

Now you have to make this files execuable.

chmod 777 shutdown 
chmod 777 reboot
chmod 777 makemkext

If you don't want to type the bootflags at startup, you can put them in the boot.plist.

Modify (with nano) the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist as follow:

...(some lines)
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>												 
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>												
	<key>Timeout</key>													  
	<string>3</string>													  
...(some more lines)

Now you can type

reboot

and cross your fingers!

If it works, but ... probabily it does not work! ... because of a problem with that *{censored}* of bios onboard.

So you have to start againt with the boot DVD (with the rd=disk#s# method) and extract some older extensione from the DVD.

Create a folder called TEMP in your HARDDISK and put there the Extensions.mkext from the DVD.

Then open TERMINAL, become "root" and type:

cd /XXX
mv /System/Library/ExtensionZ/ /System/Library/Extensions/
cp -r AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
cp -r AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -fR /XXX

Now (again) you can type

reboot

and cross (always) your fingers!

Now it should work!

If it's all ok ... next time I'll tell you how to update to 10.4.10/8.10.3/EFI32

To: AlexIT,

Will this work for the new Asus V1S-B1?

I have a hackintosh working on my Desktop, Used the Jas 10.4.8 and upgraded tp the 10.4.9.

But cant get my laptop even boot the install disk. Did a search for an Asus V1S-B1 , nothing on the forums.

Thanks,

Hey AlexIT,

Thanks for the guide, I'll try it out soon.. but now I have a few questions.

1. How do you rename the Extensions folder without having to copy it somewhere else and then deleting the original? My 10.4.9 system wouldn't let me rename the folder in the Library folder.

2. I don't seem to have /sbin and /etc on my 10.4.9, is it hidden somewhere else (or just hidden)?

3. What's the difference between removing the Safeboot command and just not using the "-x" tag?

4. According to this method, if the system crashes and I have to force shut down the system does that mean that Extensions wont be renamed to ExtensionZ and it won't boot up again?

Thanks so much for all the work for this tutorial!

Ant

Update:

I reinstalled my system with 10.4.9 v1.3 because I deleted the extensions folder. Then I booted up with the install DVD (I still haven't figured out how to manually rename the Extensions folder yet) and then I followed these steps.

Some things that I took note of:

1. when you type in (after getting into the /sbin folder

cp shutdown shutdown.orig
cp reboot reboot.orig

is nothing supposed to happen? (ie. no response, just the next root line)

2. when I saved the new shutdown and reboot files in /sbin, it replaced an original file in the system. Is that something to worry about?

I followed all these steps, but when I typed "reboot" into the terminal, it flashed one line for a split second (I only read the word "denied") and the screen went black with a cursor. Nothing happened.

I forced shutdown by holding the power button and tried to boot up the OSX partition. it didn't work (see first attached picture post-128273-1195076598_thumb.jpg)

but when I tried to boot from the DVD it didn't work either!!! I got this screen (see second attached picture post-128273-1195076794_thumb.jpg)

Is there anything I did wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Ant

Will this work for the new Asus V1S-B1?

I really don't know ... if it can boot from install-DVD but hangs on first boot, maybe the problem could be the same.!

1. How do you rename the Extensions folder without having to copy it somewhere else and then deleting the original? My 10.4.9 system wouldn't let me rename the folder in the Library folder.

Open TERMINAL, become "root" then type

2. I don't seem to have /sbin and /etc on my 10.4.9, is it hidden somewhere else (or just hidden)?

Hidden? not really !

Open TERMINAL, become "root" then type

ls /

(thats' like = dir c:\)

and you can see they're not hidden, but they are system folders, so normal users cannot see them, so I always tell you to become "root" :(

3. What's the difference between removing the Safeboot command and just not using the "-x" tag?

The bootloader is (very) buggy, with asus bios, and if you don't use "-x" flag at boot it will hang or reboot.

But the system really don't need to run in safemode, so we can tell it not to consider the flag.

4. According to this method, if the system crashes and I have to force shut down the system does that mean that Extensions wont be renamed to ExtensionZ and it won't boot up again?

It's the only one problem :-(

When it happens you have to boot once from DVD (with the rd=disk0s3 trick) and reboot again.

1. when you type in (after getting into the /sbin folder

cp shutdown shutdown.orig
cp reboot reboot.orig

is nothing supposed to happen? (ie. no response, just the next root line)

What did you expect ? fireworks ? :D

You told it to copy a file ... and it copied a file.

There is no response (if no error happens).

2. when I saved the new shutdown and reboot files in /sbin, it replaced an original file in the system. Is that something to worry about?

It's ok , you first copy them to *.orig

I followed all these steps, but when I typed "reboot" into the terminal, it flashed one line for a split second (I only read the word "denied") and the screen went black with a cursor. Nothing happened.

... Is there anything I did wrong?

Are you sure you followed all, as I wrote ?

Did you do the step with extract/unpack extensions from DVD ?

By the way I forgot one step... after creating shutdown, reboot, makemkext you had to do this

chmod 777 shutdown 
chmod 777 reboot
chmod 777 makemkext

At any step, look if there are errors or any message.

Then, before rebooting, try to type (as "root" from TERMINAL) the new command

makemkext

It should tell something about wrong Extensions and then create a new Extension.mkext in /System/Library

Remember NEVER put files in /System/Library by graphical interface, such as Extensions or similar (and avoid also to force shutdown, untill your system is stable)

Thanks, I'll try that again... but the weird thing is I don't see a /etc and /sbin folder in my hard drive... but I appear to be able to access it on terminal.

I didn't get to unpack the extensions from the DVD because I thought that I was supposed to do that after I rebooted my computer... and when I rebooted I can't get in OSX anymore (even with the DVD).

I guess I'll try reinstalling again to see if I can try this process over. I think it could be because of the chmod 777 thing. What does that command do?

Also how do you move files into system/library without using the graphics interface? I don't know the commands in terminal ><" sorry

Ok, I tried again, using the chmod 777 thing and replacing the files from the DVD, and when I typed in "reboot" I got this:

post-128273-1195095459_thumb.jpg

After waiting a few minutes with no more response, I had to force shutdown and boot up the computer again. I got this:

post-128273-1195095721_thumb.jpg

and "still waiting for root device" keeps on repeating

I tried disabling the touchpad to see if it helps, but the same thing happens (the touchpad line above it doesn't appear)

Lastly, I tried booting from the DVD and I got a kernel panic:

post-128273-1195095899_thumb.jpg

I don't know what to do now :)

Ant

Thanks, I'll try that again... but the weird thing is I don't see a /etc and /sbin folder in my hard drive... but I appear to be able to access it on terminal.

You are supposed to access them only by terminal ...

I guess I'll try reinstalling again to see if I can try this process over. I think it could be because of the chmod 777 thing. What does that command do?

It give them EXE permission.

Also how do you move files into system/library without using the graphics interface? I don't know the commands in terminal

By TERMINAL the "mv" command does the "move" jobs, and the "cp" does the "copy" jobs.and the /Volumes folder can be used to access mounted devices.

So, if you want to copy (for example) the Extensions.mkext form your DVD, and move/rename the Extensions folder , you can try something like this:

In TERMINAL (as "root")

cp "/Volumes/TheNameOfMountedImage/System/Library/Extensions.mkext" /System/Library

(TheNameOfMountedImage is what you see as name or HD/DVD on your desktop)

Ok, I tried again, using the chmod 777 thing and replacing the files from the DVD, and when I typed in "reboot" I got this:

Macfuse? DON'T install!

You have to do a fresh install ... WITHOUT nothing more than originale basesystem and ONLY kernel (and IntelATA if your disk is not SATA). No audio kext, no other patch, no fuse, no ntfs3g, nothing ...

Consider that know i'm using all original kext from macbookpro (apart AppleAPIC and AppleACPIPlatform) and it works...

This is why I don't like uphuck or other distro, too many choice to get in trouble!

If you can retry with JAS10.4.8 ...

AlexIT,

First of all thanks for responding to everything. I really appreciate your help.

I don't remember specifically installing MacFUSE, but I guess it's part of the ntfs3g thing. I'll try reinstalling (I've reinstalled this thing more than enough times in the past week, the thought of starting over doesn't bug me anymore lol) again tomorrow when I have the time.

Why does the MacFUSE (and other patches) mess things up?

Since I'm using the 10.4.9 base system, would it be a good idea to patch the 10.4.8 kexts (I don't exactly remember which ones they are, but there are two of them) from the DVD? or should I just stick with the 10.4.9 kexts? If you don't install the audio kext how did you get your speakers to work? ... or should I worry about that later on... (Mine don't work even with the audio kexts) Should I be installing the ICH-8 kexts?

Is it okay if I install the software on the DVD?

I'll try the JaS 10.4.8 with a downgraded (hopefully the BIOS can be downgraded) BIOS if it still doesn't work out.. but I like the software choices in uphuck's release :(

Ant

If you don't install the audio kext how did you get your speakers to work? ... or should I worry about that later on... (Mine don't work even with the audio kexts) Should I be installing the ICH-8 kexts?

Is it okay if I install the software on the DVD?

I'll try the JaS 10.4.8 with a downgraded (hopefully the BIOS can be downgraded) BIOS if it still doesn't work out.. but I like the software choices in uphuck's release :unsure:

I think you want a self-booting system first, the sound and other things will come later!

I'm using bios208 and for me JAS goes.

The problem could be that you are installing a 10.4.9 but booting from a 10.4.8 dvd (kernle 8.8.1 in your screenshot) ...

ps: I updated today to 10.4.11 :angel: ... form apple website :D

I think you want a self-booting system first, the sound and other things will come later!

I'm using bios208 and for me JAS goes.

The problem could be that you are installing a 10.4.9 but booting from a 10.4.8 dvd (kernle 8.8.1 in your screenshot) ...

ps: I updated today to 10.4.11 ;) ... form apple website :D

For F3SV only bios207 is available...

That is quite strange. I am installing and booting from the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 disc and it's having all these problems. I didn't use the 10.4.8 disc for any of those steps.

When I try to boot off the installer (not into hard drive) of 10.4.8 (JaS) it gets stuck at "using 10485 buffer..."

The weird thing is, when I first started playing around with OSX on my system JaS 10.4.8 installer would boot! Now it doesn't any more. Any idea why? I am baffled.

Btw, I remember seeing the line when I ran makemkext, before a LOT of text came up on the screen... something like

rename: move /System/Library/ExtensionZ to /System/Library/Extensions/ExtensionZ failed: file not found

or something really close to that. Since this is a renaming operation I am sure that that is wrong... but I'm not sure what I did with my code lol..

That is quite strange. I am installing and booting from the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 disc and it's having all these problems. I didn't use the 10.4.8 disc for any of those steps.
The uphuck DVD is based on 10.4.8 install DVD , with kernel 8.8.1 by Semthex. So booting from that DVD you boot with kernel and extensions from 10.4.8 !
When I try to boot off the installer (not into hard drive) of 10.4.8 (JaS) it gets stuck at "using 10485 buffer..."The weird thing is, when I first started playing around with OSX on my system JaS 10.4.8 installer would boot! Now it doesn't any more. Any idea why? I am baffled.
Was it the same disk ? because there are many versione "reseeded" of JAS-10.4.8 DVD, with different extensions and kernel on them.
Btw, I remember seeing the line when I ran makemkext, before a LOT of text came up on the screen... something like
rename: move /System/Library/ExtensionZ to /System/Library/Extensions/ExtensionZ failed: file not found

or something really close to that. Since this is a renaming operation I am sure that that is wrong... but I'm not sure what I did with my code lol..

It was ok ...Good news ...I'm just disassembling the bootloader, and ... I FOUND IT!The HIDDEN UNDOCUMENTE FLAG that I was looking for !It is *** MKext Cache ***This flag tell the bootloader not to consider the /System/Library/Extensions folder , and to use the mkext file instead !So .. I'll tell you a new procedure ... from scratch! At first boot from just-installed HD (base system, no addon drivers, no patches, only ss3 kernel) you can try this flags : -x -v cpus=1 "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32@60" "MKext Cache"=/System/Library/Extensions.mkextIt could just work for you! ... not for me.If it doesn't work, boot from DVD with this flags : -x -v cpus=1 rd=disk#s# where disk#s# is your HD (e.g. disk0s3) Open the HARDDISK , create a folder called KEXT and put inside the Extensions.mkext from the DVD.Then reboot.Now boot from HD with this flags :-s -x -v cpus=1 rd=disk#s#" MKext Cache"=/KEXT/Extensions.mkextyou should get the single-user-mode, that's a terminal window, and you are already "root"edit "/etc/rc" with "nano" command but insert only the row
SafeBoot=""

at the beginning, and the line

after "# Create local NetInfo database if it doesn't exist".Then in /sbin create only the "makemkext" command with:

diskutil repairPermissions /kextcache -e -a i386 -k -f

and do

chmod 777 makemkext

in the ....Boot.plist modify as below:[/code]...(some lines) <key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>cpus=1 -v -x</string> <key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1280x800x32@60</string> <key>MKext Cache</key> <string>/System/Library/Extensions</string> <key>Timeout</key> <string>3</string> ...(some more lines)[/code]Now you have to extract some Extensions from the boot DVD.

cd /KEXTmkextunpack -d . ./Extensions.mkextmv /System/Library/ExtensionZ/ /System/Library/Extensions/rm -fR /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext rm -fR /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext cp -r AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ cp -r AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/rm -fR /KEXTmakemkextreboot

Execute it line by line ... and see for errors.The "makemkext" can take a long time ... 1 or 2 minute, and will output tons of warnings .. it's ok ... you have to see only if in the last 4 lines there is something different, or strange.Let me know ...

Okay, I will try the new method now with the JaS 10.4.8 DVD

However so far I tried the old method and ran into a few problems...I tried using 10.4.9 again and it still didn't work out (I think the reboot procedure is messed up, it looks like it did a hard reboot before renaming Extensions back to ExtensionZ) so I tried using the 10.4.8 DVD.

The 10.4.8 DVD didn't load... hangs at "using 10485 buffer...." so I tried re-flashing the BIOS to an older version... and it worked! I tried ver 203 (which I originally had) and it worked.. then I tried ver 206 and it worked too. I guess ver 207 is bugged.

However, when I finished all the steps in the original tutorial, it gets stuck and keeps repeating:"Still Waiting for root device"

Ant

However, when I finished all the steps in the original tutorial, it gets stuck and keeps repeating:"Still Waiting for root device"

If you have a IDE (not SATA) harddisk, with JAS you have to install the IntelATA (or similar name) driver.

I'm very sure the F3SV uses a SATA hard disk... :S

I tried the new method, but makemkext didn't work... it said:

*************-computer:/sbin root# makemkext

Disk Utility Tool

Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point

|Disk Identifier|Device Node]

Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.

Ownership of the affected disk is required.

Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

**************-computer:/sbin root#

Instead I went into disk utility and manually repaired disk permissions... and I think it messed up the install because now it shows a kernel panic lol...

I forgot to mention that I couldn't use single user mode off the boot because everything is "read-only" so I couldn't edit anything

I used terminal instead, which worked fine.

I found out what the problem was. In com.apple.Boot.plist it should be "/System/Library/Extensions.mkext" not "/System/Library/Extensions"... and because the paragraphing was a bit messed on your post (dont know what happened :blink: ) I put all of the makemkext in one line, when it should have been two lines.

I tried again, fixing these two errors... and I am now back to "Still waiting for root device"

I am sure that F3SV runs on a SATA hard drive though...

Ant

P.S. I can almost taste victory!! :)

P.P.S. I know this is minor at this moment, but I noticed that now when I'm scrolling up and down a window it seems to be a bit messed up. (only top and bottom get redrawn?) what's with that?

Edited by antaholics

I'm very sure the F3SV uses a SATA hard disk... :S

I tried the new method, but makemkext didn't work... it said:

Instead I went into disk utility and manually repaired disk permissions... and I think it messed up the install because now it shows a kernel panic lol...

I forgot to mention that I couldn't use single user mode off the boot because everything is "read-only" so I couldn't edit anything

:D :D Why don't your read instruction on the screen :D :D

When you boot in single-mode, the last lines before the prompt say somthing abount the read-only.

that's you have to type

mount -uw /

to get to read-write mode !

... and because the paragraphing was a bit messed on your post (dont know what happened ;) )

Yes, I see it now! What the hell ... !?

I tried again, fixing these two errors... and I am now back to "Still waiting for root device"

Then your installation is missing the SATA driver.

See if there is a separate checkbox for SATA/AHCI/JMICRON/ICH8 or similae.

But the DVD mkext must have it ... you can extract from it.

P.P.S. I know this is minor at this moment, but I noticed that now when I'm scrolling up and down a window it seems to be a bit messed up. (only top and bottom get redrawn?) what's with that?

It depends on vga driver .. we see it after the OS boots well!

The first thing will be 10.4.11 !

Now I write again some guidelines for you (and hope it remains in correct format) :-(

Install only : base system, no addon drivers, no patches, only ss3 kernel, SATA/JMICRON/AHCI/ICH8/PATA/IDE

To boot from DVD use this flags :

-x -v cpus=1 rd=disk#s#

where disk#s# is your HD (e.g. disk0s3)

Open the HD , create a folder called KEXT and put inside the Extensions.mkext from the DVD. Then reboot fomr HD.

To boot from HD in single-mode use this flags :

-s -x -v cpus=1 "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32@60" "MKext Cache"=/KEXT/Extensions.mkext

In single-mode you are in read-only, so you have to type:

mount -uw /

Edit file "/etc/rc" with "nano" command and insert

SafeBoot=""

at the beginning (first non commented line) , and the line

in the second half, after "# Create local NetInfo database if it doesn't exist".

Now in /sbin create the "makemkext" command with :

diskutil repairPermissions /

the do a

chmod 777 makemkext

in the ....Boot.plist modify as below:

...(some lines) 
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<key>MKext Cache</key>
<string>/System/Library/Extensions.mkext</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string> 
...(some more lines)

Now extract some Extensions from DVD.

cd /KEXT
cp -r AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ 
cp -r AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -fR /KEXT
makemkext
reboot

Execute them line by line ... and see for errors.

The "makemkext" can take a long time ... 1 or 2 minute, and will output tons of warnings .. it's ok ... you have to see only if in the last 4 lines there is something different, or strange.

Let me know ...

This is what I did:

I installed JaS 10.4.8 (my version doesn't have the SATA/AHCI/JMICRON/ICH8 thing), then booted with the DVD. I copied Extensions.mkext to /KEXT and then put in the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 DVD to install Jmicron, ICH8, and the SATA kexts using the .pkg files found in the /System/Install/ folder. I rebooted the computer and it wouldn't boot. Trying to load Extensions.mkext from /KEXT hangs at "using 10485 buffers..."

So I booted from the DVD again into -s mode and followed all these steps, but at the end when I typed makemkext nothing happened... so I had to boot back into the GUI to complete the last step. Nothing seemed to went wrong with makemkext.

However, after all this, when I booted from the HD again it gave me "still waiting for root device" :angry2:

I tried looking for the kexts on the DVD that lets OSX boot, but I can't find them. I think that's the only thing preventing my system from booting OSX without the DVD now.

Ant

How come nobody else posts on this thread? there's been hundreds of views and people from other threads are definitely reading this too... but nobody is giving any feedback :S

Hi,

I have Asus F3SC laptop and finally, using this indtructions i was able to run osx86 on it (JaS 10.4.8).

I have to use DVD's Extensions.mkext constantly during boot (if i generate the new one using this makemkext command the system's not booting again). The Extensions folder must be also hidden during first stage of boot.

After achiving more experience I'll try to share it with you.

Thanks a lot!

Try moving (away from Extensions folder) some kext, like

AppleIntelCPU*

*thermo*

*hwsensor*

and run makemkext again

... be carefull to the latest rows in the output ...

By the way ... because now i'm using almost all the kext form 10.4.11 (original) you can try to manually update to it soon.

And the then replace the some kexts.

My installation now is:

Original 10.4.11 kexts and kernel

AppleAPIC+AppleACPIPlatform extracted from JAS-DVD mkext.

dsmos.kext (to decrypt kernel calls on the fly)

Netkas bootLoader_PCefi_v

(optionally) Netkas AppleSMBios

AppleAzalia

nothing more, nothing less.

You could try to have directly this working situation! skipping the other steps.

Do you wanna try it?

Sure, I'll go try that now and post my results. It would be nice to find out what's causing the "still waiting for root device" thing though.

Do I have to put the dsmos.kext in the file? because when I boot up my system I often see something about it not being read or something

How do I install Netkas?

AppleAzalia is the audio driver right?

Thanks,

Ant

======================

EDIT:

I moved away AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleCPUThermo.kext, and AppleHWsensor.kext, ran makemkext again (nothing on the output seemed strange) and rebooted the computer... but I am still stuck on "waiting for root device"...

I am going to try to use the DVD Extensions.mkext and extract it to temporarily replace the Extensions folder to see what happens... or is that a bad idea? There must be SOMETHING in there that's letting the computer boot with the DVD but not without.

Do I have to put the dsmos.kext in the file? because when I boot up my system I often see something about it not being read or something

How do I install Netkas?

AppleAzalia is the audio driver right?

dsmos.kext: you'll need it after comboupdate

applesmbios.kext from netkas: you'll need it after comboupdate

appleazalia.kext: yes, but you'll need it after ...

I moved away AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleCPUThermo.kext, and AppleHWsensor.kext, ran makemkext again (nothing on the output seemed strange) and rebooted the computer... but I am still stuck on "waiting for root device"...

I am going to try to use the DVD Extensions.mkext and extract it to temporarily replace the Extensions folder to see what happens... or is that a bad idea? There must be SOMETHING in there that's letting the computer boot with the DVD but not without.

Something is blocking your ich bus ... if you have, remove all *VIA* extensions.

And put ALL extensions extracted from DVD mkext into /System/Library/Extensions (overwriting the existings, do not move the other extensions).

Do a makemkext and reboot.

Just to encourage you ... here's a screenshot with my desktop ... ;)

post-136736-1195296895_thumb.jpg