ATi Mobility Radeon x1700

righteye

809 posts in this topic

How to get my own EDID.

Unzip attachment in M$-Windows.

- Pheonix.exe is EDID extract utility in windows and edid-1.jpg ~ edid-4.jpg is captured screen image

for your reference. You'll use it in step I.

- hexstr2bin and base64 is Mac executable which'll be used in step II.

Step I: Get EDID

To get your own EDID, execute attached Pheonix.exe in M$-Windows.

Extract your EDID and export it as a Raw 128 byte format(Refer to attached screen images).

I assume that you've exported it as 'my_edid.raw'

Step II: Prepare data for Info.plist of ATIinject.kext

1. copy hexstr2bin, base64 and my_edid.raw to some your directory in Mac.

2. open a terminal. change to that directory then sudo -s

bash-3.2# cd some your directory

bash-3.2# sudo -s

bash-3.2# chmod a+x hexstr2bin base64

3. encode my_edid.raw and you'll have 172 bytes long encoded edid(my_edid.txt).

bash-3.2# ./base64 -e my_edid.raw my_edid.txt

./base64: 128 byte(s) read, 172 byte(s) written

4. ATIinject needs device Id and vendor id. So let's prepare it as follows.

In my case, Vendor Id. is 1002(means ATI/AMD) and Device Id. is 71d5(means Mobility Radeon X1700 with ASIC M66-P)

a. Type in just as follows in the terminal to get Vendor plus Device Id.

bash-3.2# echo 71 d5 10 02 | ./hexstr2bin - - | ./base64 -e - dev_ven.txt

./hexstr2bin: 4 byte(s) read, 4 byte(s) written

./base64: 4 byte(s) read, 8 byte(s) written

You'll have 8 bytes long encoded dev_ven.txt

b. Next to get another Device Id.

bash-3.2# echo d5 71 00 00 | ./hexstr2bin - - | ./base64 -e - dev_id.txt

./hexstr2bin: 4 byte(s) read, 4 byte(s) written

./base64: 4 byte(s) read, 8 byte(s) written

You'll have 8 bytes long encoded dev_id.txt

c. Make sure that you've got all three .txt files

bash-3.2# ls -l

total 120

-rw-r--r--@ 1 charliesohn staff 6148 Feb 29 22:57 .DS_Store

-rwxr-xr-x 1 charliesohn staff 17196 Feb 22 07:57 base64

-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 8 Feb 29 23:30 dev_id.txt

-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 8 Feb 29 23:26 dev_ven.txt

-rwxr-xr-x 1 charliesohn staff 12920 Feb 22 07:58 hexstr2bin

-rwxrwxrwx 1 charliesohn staff 128 Feb 29 13:50 my_edid.raw

-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 172 Feb 29 23:24 my_edid.txt

Step III: Edit Info.plist of ATIinject.kext

1. Open dev_id.txt in editor and copy it(Command-C). It is 8 bytes long characters.

Open Info.plist, find DeviceID entry then replace data with yours

<key>ATY,DeviceID</key>

<data>

1XEAAA== <-- replace this with yours(Command-V)

</data>

2. Open dev_ven.txt in editor and copy it(Command-C). It is 8 bytes long characters too.

Find DeviceID entry then replace data with yours

<key>device-id</key>

<data>

cdUQAg== <-- replace this with yours(Command-V)

</data>

3. Open my_edid.txt in editor and copy it(Command-C). It is 172 bytes long characters too.

Find EDID entry then replace data with yours

<key>LVDS,EDID</key>

<data>

AP///////wBMo0YzAAAAAAAPAQOAIRV4Cof1lFdPjCcn <-- replace these 4 lines with yours

UFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBky6QoGAaHkAwICYA

S88QAAAZAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAADzSAmQDAAAA/gBTQU1T

VU5HCiAgICAgAAAA/gBMVE4xNTRQMS1MMDMKAFQ=

</data>

You may enter your EDID just in a line long, two or even more. Just make it looks neat and good as you like.

That's all. Now you can save Info.plist, chmod, chown, remove caches and reboot.

I hope you get it!

TIP:

You may get blank screen if you happen to press 'Detect Display' button in Display config pane.

In case of rebooting does not solve the problem, reboot in safe mode(-x) and reboot nomal mode again.

That'll gonna get your screen back.

All the bests,

get_edid.zip

Hi Mariusz,

To get the best result, I found that version of the driver is the most impotant one.

I use driver version 1.5.24.9(5280) in case of ATINDRV.kext, ATIRadeonX1000.kext, ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GL.bundle, ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle.

Version is not so important in case of ATIinject but EDID is the most important. I use ATIinject 1.0.0d1.

I got mouse tearing problem when I use some versions from tiger, and there's black menu problem with 5250 version.

But with 5280 it works perfect just in my case.

So I recommend you to get updated drivers and modify it.

All the best

Hi cwsohn98,

so it seems that for x1700, latest ATINDRV and IONDRVSupport works, but not for bloody x1600.

I have lestest (1.5.24.9) ATIRadeonX1000.kext, ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GL.bundle, ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle kexts (I dont even need to hexedit ATIRadeonx1000.kext to have QE/CI and res change), but have to use older ATINDRV (1.4.20.28 (1.0f159)) otherwise screen fades to black after loginwindow is started.

Thanks for your help and regards,

Mariusz.

Hello there,

I have to say in advance that I'm 100% newbie to Mac :D , so sorry if I'm gonna have some silly questions.

My laptop is Asus V1jp with ATI RADEON x1700. I installed a flat MAC (iaktos 10.5.1) and couldn't get the right resolution (which is 1680x1050 as in Vista).

I tried The Huan's method but it didn't work for me (not sure if I was wrong somewhere). I later updated to Mac 10.5.2 and followed cwsohn98's (post 146) but it didn't work for me, either (display went black blank after rebooting).

Can anyone please instruct me how to get my ATI x1700 to work at its 1680x1050 resolution under Mac Leopard? Please tell me detailed steps (clearly how-to). Please find below my EDID.

Thanks a lot.

post-193502-1204307341_thumb.jpg

my_edid.txt

Ok I got my Mobility Radeon X1700 working flawlessly on my F3JP! 1680x1050 resolution, Qe/Ci enabled with no mouse tearing or artifacts!

Thanks to everyone who helped!

I followed the instructions above and everything is fine. I skipped step 14 because my EDID already provided me with the resolution

I am including the files i used: ATIinject.kext, ATIRadeonX1000.kext (to enable QE/CI), and ATINDRV.kext

Also included are teh tools that finetuned provided: phoenix editor, kexthelper, and property list editor.

X1700.zip

Phoenix.zip

Property_List_Editor.zip

Kext_Helper_b6.zip

Ive tried the method you have given around 6 times taking care to do everything you have said. I have the same laptop as you but it doesnt work. Ive loaded leopard though an iATKOS V1.0i dvd and it simply wont work! So what Im thinking is a. you may have just been lucky b. there is some mistake in the instructions c. the instructions arent clear enough?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me cause I hate this crappy resolution!!! im stuck in. Thank.

Hello there,

I have to say in advance that I'm 100% newbie to Mac :D , so sorry if I'm gonna have some silly questions.

My laptop is Asus V1jp with ATI RADEON x1700. I installed a flat MAC (iaktos 10.5.1) and couldn't get the right resolution (which is 1680x1050 as in Vista).

I tried The Huan's method but it didn't work for me (not sure if I was wrong somewhere). I later updated to Mac 10.5.2 and followed cwsohn98's (post 146) but it didn't work for me, either (display went black blank after rebooting).

Can anyone please instruct me how to get my ATI x1700 to work at its 1680x1050 resolution under Mac Leopard? Please tell me detailed steps (clearly how-to). Please find below my EDID.

Thanks a lot.

Hello there,

This ATiinject should work for you!

Also if you made the Leopard Graphics Update then you should use

Should work for all the family of ATi Mobility Radeon x1700 after the Leopard Graphics Update and forget about black menu or black screen, and no more Leopard Graphics Update in the list of updates.

Do not forget to chown / chmod and diskutil repairpermissions /

Good luck

Thank you, righteye.

I have re-installed Leopard with the Graphics Update, so now as I understand, will I have to chown / chmod only "ATINDRV.kext" and "ATIRadeonX1000.kext"?

And by the way, what is diskutil repairpermissions /?

I will be very grateful , should you can explain a little more clearly to me.

Thank you, righteye.

I have re-installed Leopard with the Graphics Update, so now as I understand, will I have to chown / chmod only "ATINDRV.kext" and "ATIRadeonX1000.kext"?

And by the way, what is diskutil repairpermissions /?

I will be very grateful , should you can explain a little more clearly to me.

Actually you have to do this in Terminal:

sudo -s

then enter your password

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext - makes the kext extensions to be recognized by the system as loadable

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext - removes the cache of extensions created previous

diskutil repairpermissions / - repairs the permissions on your hard disk so that you will not get some errors ...

That's it ... what i understand ... but might not be the right explanations.

For sure are working if are the correct kexts

Cheers

Hi righteye,

I'm trying it right now following what you instruct. Previously, I applied the ways suggested by some members in this thread but used your files. Consequently, the black screen re-appeared, and I had no other way but re-installed MAC (I didn't do any backup of kext files).

I already have Vista on my system but I don't have big problems with dual-booting the two system (just a little fix for boot parttion...), so possibly, I don't have to use diskutil repairpermissions /

Currently, I have 2 problem with MAC: screen resolution and Internet connection. Well, let sort the resolution out first.

I'll inform you of the result over my system.

Thank you very much.

Actually you have to do this in Terminal:

sudo -s

then enter your password

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIinject.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext - makes the kext extensions to be recognized by the system as loadable

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext - removes the cache of extensions created previous

diskutil repairpermissions / - repairs the permissions on your hard disk so that you will not get some errors ...

That's it ... what i understand ... but might not be the right explanations.

For sure are working if are the correct kexts

Cheers

Well, righteye. Your method doesn't work for me again :thumbsdown_anim: . But just let you know, my Mac now works fine with the resolution 

of 1680x1050  :(

I used all your files (just had a little modification to ATIinject.kext, changed "device ID" to 71D51002) and followed finetuned's the instructions from this post (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=36812&view=findpost&p=498674).

Anyway, thank you very much. I still have dozens of questions, so may bother you soon. :D

@all

So, is there any news on getting X1700's working without black menus and full QE/CI after 10.5.2 & the Graphics Update?

I've been trying to modify the kexts included in the Graphics Update and can't seem to get QE/CI regardless of what I do. One of the biggest differences between before/after the Graphics Update is ATINDRV.kext is completely overhauled in the Graphics Update, there is no information in ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Info.plist -- there is now a plugins directory with different types of plugins.

ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins Contains:

ATY_Alopias.kext

ATY_Caretta.kext

ATY_Hypoprion.kext

ATY_lago.kext

ATY_Lamna.kext

ATY_Sphyrna.kext

ATY_Wormy.kext

I'm not sure if we need new mods for ATINDRV.kext because I'm really not sure what was modified in the old ATINDRV.kext that was working before the Graphics Update (I was using the version posted by Finetuned in the thread in his signature -- ATiv5250_kexts.zip).

So, does anyone even know where to start modifying to try to get this working?

I found it interesting that in Tyrone Shoe's post here -- he says he has everything working 100% including sleep and an external monitor on his Lenovo T60p! I've tried PMing him and posting in that thread and have yet to receive a response. Tried asking around in irc.osx86.hu with no avail...

--P2

@all

So, is there any news on getting X1700's working without black menus and full QE/CI after 10.5.2 & the Graphics Update?

I've been trying to modify the kexts included in the Graphics Update and can't seem to get QE/CI regardless of what I do. One of the biggest differences between before/after the Graphics Update is ATINDRV.kext is completely overhauled in the Graphics Update, there is no information in ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Info.plist -- there is now a plugins directory with different types of plugins.

ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins Contains:

ATY_Alopias.kext

ATY_Caretta.kext

ATY_Hypoprion.kext

ATY_lago.kext

ATY_Lamna.kext

ATY_Sphyrna.kext

ATY_Wormy.kext

I'm not sure if we need new mods for ATINDRV.kext because I'm really not sure what was modified in the old ATINDRV.kext that was working before the Graphics Update (I was using the version posted by Finetuned in the thread in his signature -- ATiv5250_kexts.zip).

So, does anyone even know where to start modifying to try to get this working?

I found it interesting that in Tyrone Shoe's post here -- he says he has everything working 100% including sleep and an external monitor on his Lenovo T60p! I've tried PMing him and posting in that thread and have yet to receive a response. Tried asking around in irc.osx86.hu with no avail...

--P2

You find the new patched ATINDRV.kext in my first post of this topic ...Leopard Graphics Update

There is a ATi_Mobility_Radeon_x1700_10.5.2_LGU.zip file ... LGU = Leopard Graphics Update

Cheers

You find the new patched ATINDRV.kext in my first post of this topic ...Leopard Graphics Update

There is a ATi_Mobility_Radeon_x1700_10.5.2_LGU.zip file ... LGU = Leopard Graphics Update

Cheers

Thanks Righteye. Believe me, that was the first thing that I tried. I already tried using your package, just your ATINDRV with my RadeonX1000.kext, and several other combinations, while they all work, they do not work in the sense of enabling QE/CI. If I just use the Kexts from the Graphics Update my system is completely usable. My intentions are to get QE/CI working 100%, and I have yet to find out how to do that with the Graphics Update Installed.

Thanks anyways :)

-P2

Thanks Righteye. Believe me, that was the first thing that I tried. I already tried using your package, just your ATINDRV with my RadeonX1000.kext, and several other combinations, while they all work, they do not work in the sense of enabling QE/CI. If I just use the Kexts from the Graphics Update my system is completely usable. My intentions are to get QE/CI working 100%, and I have yet to find out how to do that with the Graphics Update Installed.

Thanks anyways :D

-P2

ok ... send me your kexts that you use ... if you have the EDID for your display also and i will try to make some custom kexts for you ...

ok ... send me your kexts that you use ... if you have the EDID for your display also and i will try to make some custom kexts for you ...

Righteye,

Here's a zip containing the KEXTS I used before 10.5.2, and the ones I've most recently tried modifying. The most recent files are pretty much the ATIinject.kext that I used from pre 10.5.2 (which I stole from Finetuned a while back), the ATINDRV you suggested trying to use, and the ATIRadeonX1000.kext from the Graphics Update where I modified the Info.plist and replaced 71DE with 71D5 (D571 -- my device ID).

I do not have my EDID on hand, going to install windows quickly on a temporary HDD to snag my EDID...will update once I get it. (I know the ATIinject.kext I've been using from Finetuned has worked fine with my system so far...)

I'm hosting my kext files on my own webserver, download them here or attached at the bottom.

Thanks again,

-P2

Righteye,

Here's a zip containing the KEXTS I used before 10.5.2, and the ones I've most recently tried modifying. The most recent files are pretty much the ATIinject.kext that I used from pre 10.5.2 (which I stole from Finetuned a while back), the ATINDRV you suggested trying to use, and the ATIRadeonX1000.kext from the Graphics Update where I modified the Info.plist and replaced 71DE with 71D5 (D571 -- my device ID).

I do not have my EDID on hand, going to install windows quickly on a temporary HDD to snag my EDID...will update once I get it. (I know the ATIinject.kext I've been using from Finetuned has worked fine with my system so far...)

I'm hosting my kext files on my own webserver, download them here or attached at the bottom.

Thanks again,

-P2

Considering that all was working before 10.5.2 update ... or Leopard Graphics Update ... i was using the existing EDID from your atiinject.kext

in order to use the new kexts i attached delete the atiinject.kext and do the Leopard Graphics Update again. After reboot if all is black try to boot in single user mode using -s

Then follow the on screen commands to mount the drive with write permission.

As root do:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/atiradeonx1000.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

reboot

Now you will have the no Qe/Ci and no res ... but is ok

An advice before: do not replace the ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle or ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle. Should be the originals after the update.

Now copy this kexts in the /System/Library/Extensions/

chown and chmod then repair permissions and reboot. You should have res, Qe/Ci enabled.

Cheers

@righteye

Thanks a lot for the KEXTS, but they didn't help.

Luckily, the process of installing your kexts made me realize my mistake... After I booted the system after reinstalling the Leopard Graphics Update I checked System Profiler and it said "No Kext Loaded" for my Graphics Card, which is expected. Then, I realized that this entire time i've been using the wrong device ID. The device ID listed in System Profiler was 71D4, while I've been injecting 71D5 in all my kexts. I confirmed this by backing up a couple pages in this thread and reading gneely74's post...

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo T60p with a 5250 (71d4). I am running 10.4.10 and have followed the posts in the forum (Thanks finetuned and thehuan!) to get CI/QE. But so far all I have achieved is the ability to change my res to 1680x1050. No CI or QE. Could someone possibly post their kexts for a T60p with 71d4 card?

Thanks in advance!

I feel like a moron for doing this... unbelievable.

Well, I'll be sure to update any of the other threads as well as anyone else who has been having issued with their FireGL v5250 on Leopard after the Graphics Update -- because my system is finally working with QE/CI after the LGU!!

Thanks for inadvertently helping me notice this,

-P2

P.S. -- I'm uploading the working 10.5.2 Post LGU Kexts for ATi FireGL v5250 (71D4) here && attaching to this post.

1052FireGLv5250Kexts_P2iM0.zip

whoever posted the zip files and saying they work with leopard which included IONDRVSupport and IOPCIFamily kexts

this totally messed my system, even backing up the kexts and replacing them with original didnt work

caused a kernel panic, both 10.5.0 and 10.5.2 versions

have to redo everything now, righteye do you have stable drivers, my card can only do 1280x800, mine is X1700 not the other type.

Hi P2iM-0,

So did you get your 71D4 working with the 10.5.2 LGU? I have not yet done the LGU, but if your kexts worked with 71d4 card, I will definitely give it a shot.

Thanks,

@righteye

Thanks a lot for the KEXTS, but they didn't help.

Luckily, the process of installing your kexts made me realize my mistake... After I booted the system after reinstalling the Leopard Graphics Update I checked System Profiler and it said "No Kext Loaded" for my Graphics Card, which is expected. Then, I realized that this entire time i've been using the wrong device ID. The device ID listed in System Profiler was 71D4, while I've been injecting 71D5 in all my kexts. I confirmed this by backing up a couple pages in this thread and reading gneely74's post...

I feel like a moron for doing this... unbelievable.

Well, I'll be sure to update any of the other threads as well as anyone else who has been having issued with their FireGL v5250 on Leopard after the Graphics Update -- because my system is finally working with QE/CI after the LGU!!

Thanks for inadvertently helping me notice this,

-P2

P.S. -- I'm uploading the working 10.5.2 Post LGU Kexts for ATi FireGL v5250 (71D4) here && attaching to this post.

Hi P2iM-0,

So did you get your 71D4 working with the 10.5.2 LGU? I have not yet done the LGU, but if your kexts worked with 71d4 card, I will definitely give it a shot.

Thanks,

gneely74,

Yes, it's working fine as we speak. When I run Software Update it says I still need to install the Graphics Update, but thats probably just because it detects that the version of ATINDRV.kext is not the same as the LGU. Otherwise, all other kexts are LGU kexts, the only one thats modified is ATIRadeonX1000.kext, and I'm using ATIinject.kext to get my resolution to 1680x1050. Try the kexts I posted above, just be sure to change your EDID in ATIinject.kext and you should be good to go.

Do the traditional 'chown, chmod', rm -rf Extensions.mkext, & 'diskutil repairPermissions /' on the kexts and you should be all set. Righteye helped me out with this, it just took me to realize I've been using the wrong damn device ID for a couple weeks now.

-P2

EDIT 03/15/08 -- I've just reinstalled OS X again just to clean up some of the unnecessary mess I left after making so many changes during testing. I am now running Kalyway 10.5.1 -> Kaly 10.5.2 Combo Updater -> Kaly 10.5.2 Vanilla Kernel -> Leopard Graphics Update -- I have full QE/CI & External Display (with QE/CI) with ONLY modifying my ATIRadeonX1000.kext (Info.plist, ATIRadeonX1000 binary file) and ATIinject.kext (EDID, device/vendor ID's). There was no need to modify ATINDRV.kext that was installed by default with the LGU. I've also noticed that some animations exist now, and my system has yet to boot to a black screen. This is a huge improvement for me.

Edited by P2iM-0

whoever posted the zip files and saying they work with leopard which included IONDRVSupport and IOPCIFamily kextsthis totally messed my system, even backing up the kexts and replacing them with original didnt workcaused a kernel panic, both 10.5.0 and 10.5.2 versionshave to redo everything now, righteye do you have stable drivers, my card can only do 1280x800, mine is X1700 not the other type.
Yes on my laptop: Asus G2P the drivers are working fine after the 10.5.2 update and after the Leopard Graphics Update. The only kexts i patched for graphics are the Atiinject using my EDID, ATINDRV and ATIRadeonx1000 that is also hex-edited. Possible that the kernel panic is from some apple kext that you should remove ... Send me more info about your device and the kernel panic and i'll try to help you.Cheers
Hi, I have Asus F3JP notebook (Ati mobility x1700) and iATKOS v1.02i (Leopard 10.5.2 + GLU update)My EDID: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0z1o9qMy ID: 71D5Can anybody help me please??? :D
Here you go ... Hope you know how to chmod and chown the kexts, remove the extensions.mkext then repair permissions. This kexts should work for you.Cheers

righteye, I tried driver that you give me. When I install it, I use "kext helper". After boot screen, the screen become black. what must I do now??? cheers...

You have Leo 10.5.2 with the LGU ? And try not using kext helper ... Did you use all the kexts from the archive? Do you have an external monitor; just to se if all is staring correct? Might be a problem with the EDID ... Try booting with -v to see if there is some errors on loading the kexts and give me the output.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I have a F3JP and also had the problem exactly similar to fallouttt's when using kext helper.

I'm a windows guy and know nothing about installing kext. Can you make the installer for the kext, it must help alot.

There is a custom installer i put in mi first post (at the bottom) ... is for Leopard 10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update made ... if that doesn't help ... might be the EDID ... so you have to give it to me ... But for now just go to mi first post and get the installer.

Cheers