• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

Shako

Shako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Swapping out the 581 loginwindow with the 321 loginwindow causes ReportCrash to throw errors for atleast a minute, then I stopped watching.

Update: I checked the crashlog and it is asking for some files in the "PrivateFrameworks" folder. So i grabbed it off the 321 disk and put it where it needed to be and it crashed again asking for yet another PrivateFramework so I just grabbed all of the privateframeworks off the 321 disk and added only the ones that didn't exist in the 581 PrivateFrameworks folder and it starts the loginwindow app and then crashes, starts the app again and then crashes again. Didn't check the log again yet.

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Swapping out the 581 loginwindow with the 321 loginwindow causes ReportCrash to throw errors for atleast a minute, then I stopped watching.

Update: I checked the crashlog and it is asking for some files in the "PrivateFrameworks" folder. So i grabbed it off the 321 disk and put it where it needed to be and it crashed again asking for yet another PrivateFramework so I just grabbed all of the privateframeworks off the 321 disk and added only the ones that didn't exist in the 581 PrivateFrameworks folder and it starts the loginwindow app and then crashes, starts the app again and then crashes again. Didn't check the log again yet.

Have you tried installing 321? I assume you'd have to replace the kernel with the latest, depending on your hardware, and maybe a few kexts. I wish I had it to play around with. ;>

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Well, I think it's time to sell this card for 30 bucks and buy a supported agp card for 50. Without the older image, it's just too much trouble to get the 9700 working and end up hacking again on the next dot release. Good luck to you guys.

Shako

Shako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I can't install the 9a321 image because if I try to make a patched dvd out of it with the BrazilMac method my computer will just infinitely restart while it tries to load the DVD. Although, I guess I could try it with Pacifist though huh?

bml104

bml104

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Well, I think it's time to sell this card for 30 bucks and buy a supported agp card for 50. Without the older image, it's just too much trouble to get the 9700 working and end up hacking again on the next dot release. Good luck to you guys.

What are your suggestions on what to purchase? is a $40 6600 going to be worth it? or should I go for the $90 7600?

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

What are your suggestions on what to purchase? is a $40 6600 going to be worth it? or should I go for the $90 7600?

I don't think we're looking for the same thing. I'm on the lookout for the right AGP card, and you might be asking about PCI-E cards. I've got my eye on the GF 7300GT AGP for about USD$70. I know it's expensive, but I live in a technically deprived country.

I chose the 7300GT AGP dues to the benchmark against the ATI 1600 AGP, nVidia has more support in the OSx86 community, and according to the wiki, it has both QE/CI support. But it's really a {censored} shoot as to how many dot releases it will take to become Leopard obsolete.

Shako, pacifist install does work. Just remember to update when it prompts you the question.

username931

username931

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I can't install the 9a321 image because if I try to make a patched dvd out of it with the BrazilMac method my computer will just infinitely restart while it tries to load the DVD. Although, I guess I could try it with Pacifist though huh?

Yeah, its worth a try. That link is to a USB guide, you should be able to install it to a second partition or hd, just skip the USB related steps and you can prob use the bootloader from your Tiger patition to load it (if its a second hd you would use rd=rdisk?s? at the boot prompt). Or you could make a real usb drive for the fun of it.

username931

username931

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

My Card worked fine in Tiger, but Leopard seems to have deprecated support for the Intel ATIRadeon9700 / ATIRadeon9700GL kext that my card uses. I was wondering why this is, and what can be done to get graphics acceleration (ie. Quartz Extreme) working again on my mac. I have tried using the drivers from Tiger with no success.

Why would apple remove Intel support for an otherwise functioning driver set?

http://discussions.a...t...97&tstart=0

Creative, but it might work. Aren't these legitimate issues on apple macs as well? Post your cards (so long as they have a mac version, or just pick a mac card that would use the ATIRadeon9700 kext), choose a power mac with the appropriate slot, and register your complaint. Just don't be too specific.

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

When you say it infinitely restarts, at what point does that happen? I haven't tried Brazilmac and don't know anything about it (I used ToH). Is the problem a boot loader issue? If so, you could boot into Tiger, image the 321 dvd, and then edit it, placing a bootloader on it. A guide to editing the dvd is here: http://forum.osx86sc...c.php?f=16&t=56

To make it bootable if it doesn't have a bootloader already, try this: http://forum.osx86sc...php?f=16&t=1661

After you get it to boot, if it hangs at some point you may need to replace IOATAFamily.kext (for hard drive recognition) and/or the kernel. I'd use r/w media if you have any, I've burned probably 20 dvd-r coasters in my Leo adventures :(

Shako

Shako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
As the text is flying by on loading the dvd it will randomly restart near a spot that says "TMSafetyNet" or something of the sort. Meaning, I can't even get to a prompt that lets me install the os with BrazilMac. I have read that other people have the same problem and I think it is an issue with the BrazilMac patch on certain systems. Perhaps just a fact of life. I would probably install it with Pacifist just because I don't feel like patching a dvd over and over, it's just too much work for little benefit. I actually have a mac and I'm converting my Vista machine to a mac (trying to) because I can't stand windows anymore.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts
Shako, don't run the patch in Leopard. I've had problems patching the dvd under Leo on a real mac, but luckily i'm dual booting with Tiger and that's the only way i've been able to patch it. And wouldn't "TM" have something to do with Time machine? Maybe the new patch, which has the Time Machine fix on it is the problem. I have the older patch (pre-time machine fix) if you need it. That's if I didn't mod the patch for my machine already. Let me know and we'll find the older one.

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I'm getting 9a321, slowly, and then will try the Pacifist method and see what happens. Shako, TMSafetynet is Time Machine, I'm thinking it may be possible to just remove it, or use a newer version of TM. Time Machine actually works on the ToH release, but Leo does me little good without QE/CI. If anyone wants to help seed, PM me, whether you have the image or not; more peers will speed things up for us all.

Oh and replacing my video card is not really an option for me, I use my AIW 2006 to capture TV shows in MCE, so I've gotta have a tuner (actually I have 2, the other one is an ATI TV Wonder 650).

EDIT: Up to 4 seeds, ETA 2 days 7 hours and counting...

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts
spock,

if you ever finish the image, the base install pkg would be the one I would need to play around with. So beam it up when you get a chance?

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

spock,

if you ever finish the image, the base install pkg would be the one I would need to play around with. So beam it up when you get a chance?

I'm at 52.7%, ETA 17 hours. When I get it I'll put it somewhere more quickly available than a torrent. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Down to 1 seed now, 78% complete, ETA 10 hours.

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I have 321, finally. Now to test!

I'll be upping it somewhere soon, when I finish playing with it. Stay tuned and wish me luck folks.

geekster

geekster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Good luck! Sooner or later I'm sure someone will figure it out, it seams it wasn't much different with Tiger last year so I don't think I'll buy another 60 or 70 bucks card (just got my Ati x550 last year and it's still doing good - with her own 256 Mb) I don't want to make a collection of cards..

So may the force be with you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Here's a nice emoticon to go give some encouragement :)

lain

lain

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
:D and this is from me

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Thanks guys :(

I'm installing it with Pacifist now. Stay tuned...

Edit: I keep hanging at AppleACPIPlatform.kext, can't get past it and I've tried several Tiger and Leo versions. Time to sleep on it.. (I'm seeding btw)

heng2006

heng2006

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Thank you very much for your hard works
I have the same card.
heng2006

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Hi folks, guess what?

IT WORKS!! :)

I've just played several videos in full-screen (at 1680x1050 oh yeah) with obvious hardware acceleration (meaning no dropped frames), and System profiler says well, look at the pics!

I still have mouse tearing, no big surprise there, and I can't drag/drop files, and I have permissions problems, but I know those are fixable. I just wanted to let you all know that IT WORKS! :D

I'll add more details later (how I did it, if I can remember exactly) :P

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy