ATIRadeon9700 Patch?

sniperviper

313 posts in this topic

Shako, or anyone else who has build 9a377, if you can install that, you would know for sure if it works. You might be able to find a patch for build 9a377 in the archives or you could attempt to patch it yourself by using a hacked kernel, extensions, and installer package from later patch like brazilmac and install from a partition. If that fails, it is possible to install OS X with pacifist, check here: http://blog.bradbergeron.com/2006/11/29/ho...-a-flash-drive/. Then all you would need is a patched Kernel and the patched extensions from BrazilMac's patch and you can do a manual install.

You might also be able to take a patched DVD like Totse and use pacifist switch out the "base system" and "essentials" packages with 9a377. Again much easier if you install from a partition and use the darwinbootloader from your tiger partition to load it. It is worth a try a long you are sure 9a377 is the last build with universal ati extensions. If it worked from a fresh install we could at least use it until we found the differences.

I don't know if you use Callisto for your card, but for my "ATI X600 PCIe," I had to use the CallistoFB change to get it to work, but I think it also worked before callisto just without the resolution change. Still it could be a factor. Without understanding how these drivers and frameworks actually work, trail and error is all we have to use.

Also keep you dmg connected to a tracker, don't limit you upload speed and post a link/info (only if you have success or if you can't install it yourself).

I'm working off the 9a321 opengl.framework, kexts, bundle, plugin, and driver someone provided. These steps were tried under normal and safe mode.

1st try: replaces the GM framework but kept existing 10.4.10 kexts, bundle, plugin, and callisto divers in Leo.

outcome: I could only reach the loginwindow GUI and not able to log in to 2 accounts.

2nd try: used 9a321 opengl.framework, kexts, bundle, plugin

outcome: loginwindow infinite loop. Black screen and white texts

3rd try: used 9a321 framework, kexts, bundle, plugin, and 10.4.11 longinwindow.app

outcome: loginwindow infinite loop crash plus lots of logs :hysterical:

Does anyone have the 9a321 loginwindow.app? Also I have no idea how much changes there are in opengl.framework from 9a321 to the GM version and there are some more missing ATI and driver and bundles that is normally used on 10.4.x that are missing in the archive that was sent to us. There's not a lot of room to work with if you don't have the whole image, even if a volatile Leopard install.

I've made the same things, except for your 1st try. Same results. I tried with the 10.4.4 loginapp. We need a patched loginwindow.app, right?

I've never experience loginwindow problems even with 10.4.x. I've always created my own Tiger install and from reading the boards, knew which versions to replace on my custom DVD.

Is me not being able to log into any account the same problem as what people had back in 10.4.8? If so, then we might be inching our way somewhere :hysterical:

I don't understood all your message, my english isn't good :)

How can we log in with 9a321 kexts, framework & co.?

I don't really know what will happen if we obtain all the files from 9a321. All these are just trial and error. It would help if someone can replicate my first try and use the longinwindow.app from 9a321. if you have it, PM me the longinwindow.app from 9a321 and i'll test it.

edit: but it would really help if we obtained the very last Leopard seed (9a377) where the 9700's did support intel. I say that because the 9a321 seed might have bugs in it that 9a377 didn't. Again these are all just speculations.

u need to use only old opengl,frameworkd and gldriver

but, as i said, i tried this all with 466 long time ago, nothing will work.

If you are who I think you are, then I don't think i can argue with your conclusion. Just one question though. Why did you retract the entry about the 9700 kexts from your blog? I seam to recall a flip-flop statement about non-intel drivers, and then a "never mind"? I just can't find the blog entry anymore.

Swapping out the 581 loginwindow with the 321 loginwindow causes ReportCrash to throw errors for atleast a minute, then I stopped watching.

Update: I checked the crashlog and it is asking for some files in the "PrivateFrameworks" folder. So i grabbed it off the 321 disk and put it where it needed to be and it crashed again asking for yet another PrivateFramework so I just grabbed all of the privateframeworks off the 321 disk and added only the ones that didn't exist in the 581 PrivateFrameworks folder and it starts the loginwindow app and then crashes, starts the app again and then crashes again. Didn't check the log again yet.

Swapping out the 581 loginwindow with the 321 loginwindow causes ReportCrash to throw errors for atleast a minute, then I stopped watching.

Update: I checked the crashlog and it is asking for some files in the "PrivateFrameworks" folder. So i grabbed it off the 321 disk and put it where it needed to be and it crashed again asking for yet another PrivateFramework so I just grabbed all of the privateframeworks off the 321 disk and added only the ones that didn't exist in the 581 PrivateFrameworks folder and it starts the loginwindow app and then crashes, starts the app again and then crashes again. Didn't check the log again yet.

Have you tried installing 321? I assume you'd have to replace the kernel with the latest, depending on your hardware, and maybe a few kexts. I wish I had it to play around with. ;>

Well, I think it's time to sell this card for 30 bucks and buy a supported agp card for 50. Without the older image, it's just too much trouble to get the 9700 working and end up hacking again on the next dot release. Good luck to you guys.

I can't install the 9a321 image because if I try to make a patched dvd out of it with the BrazilMac method my computer will just infinitely restart while it tries to load the DVD. Although, I guess I could try it with Pacifist though huh?

Well, I think it's time to sell this card for 30 bucks and buy a supported agp card for 50. Without the older image, it's just too much trouble to get the 9700 working and end up hacking again on the next dot release. Good luck to you guys.

What are your suggestions on what to purchase? is a $40 6600 going to be worth it? or should I go for the $90 7600?

What are your suggestions on what to purchase? is a $40 6600 going to be worth it? or should I go for the $90 7600?

I don't think we're looking for the same thing. I'm on the lookout for the right AGP card, and you might be asking about PCI-E cards. I've got my eye on the GF 7300GT AGP for about USD$70. I know it's expensive, but I live in a technically deprived country.

I chose the 7300GT AGP dues to the benchmark against the ATI 1600 AGP, nVidia has more support in the OSx86 community, and according to the wiki, it has both QE/CI support. But it's really a {censored} shoot as to how many dot releases it will take to become Leopard obsolete.

Shako, pacifist install does work. Just remember to update when it prompts you the question.

I can't install the 9a321 image because if I try to make a patched dvd out of it with the BrazilMac method my computer will just infinitely restart while it tries to load the DVD. Although, I guess I could try it with Pacifist though huh?

Yeah, its worth a try. That link is to a USB guide, you should be able to install it to a second partition or hd, just skip the USB related steps and you can prob use the bootloader from your Tiger patition to load it (if its a second hd you would use rd=rdisk?s? at the boot prompt). Or you could make a real usb drive for the fun of it.

My Card worked fine in Tiger, but Leopard seems to have deprecated support for the Intel ATIRadeon9700 / ATIRadeon9700GL kext that my card uses. I was wondering why this is, and what can be done to get graphics acceleration (ie. Quartz Extreme) working again on my mac. I have tried using the drivers from Tiger with no success.

Why would apple remove Intel support for an otherwise functioning driver set?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...97&tstart=0

Creative, but it might work. Aren't these legitimate issues on apple macs as well? Post your cards (so long as they have a mac version, or just pick a mac card that would use the ATIRadeon9700 kext), choose a power mac with the appropriate slot, and register your complaint. Just don't be too specific.

When you say it infinitely restarts, at what point does that happen? I haven't tried Brazilmac and don't know anything about it (I used ToH). Is the problem a boot loader issue? If so, you could boot into Tiger, image the 321 dvd, and then edit it, placing a bootloader on it. A guide to editing the dvd is here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56

To make it bootable if it doesn't have a bootloader already, try this: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1661

After you get it to boot, if it hangs at some point you may need to replace IOATAFamily.kext (for hard drive recognition) and/or the kernel. I'd use r/w media if you have any, I've burned probably 20 dvd-r coasters in my Leo adventures :(

As the text is flying by on loading the dvd it will randomly restart near a spot that says "TMSafetyNet" or something of the sort. Meaning, I can't even get to a prompt that lets me install the os with BrazilMac. I have read that other people have the same problem and I think it is an issue with the BrazilMac patch on certain systems. Perhaps just a fact of life. I would probably install it with Pacifist just because I don't feel like patching a dvd over and over, it's just too much work for little benefit. I actually have a mac and I'm converting my Vista machine to a mac (trying to) because I can't stand windows anymore.

Shako, don't run the patch in Leopard. I've had problems patching the dvd under Leo on a real mac, but luckily i'm dual booting with Tiger and that's the only way i've been able to patch it. And wouldn't "TM" have something to do with Time machine? Maybe the new patch, which has the Time Machine fix on it is the problem. I have the older patch (pre-time machine fix) if you need it. That's if I didn't mod the patch for my machine already. Let me know and we'll find the older one.

I'm getting 9a321, slowly, and then will try the Pacifist method and see what happens. Shako, TMSafetynet is Time Machine, I'm thinking it may be possible to just remove it, or use a newer version of TM. Time Machine actually works on the ToH release, but Leo does me little good without QE/CI. If anyone wants to help seed, PM me, whether you have the image or not; more peers will speed things up for us all.

Oh and replacing my video card is not really an option for me, I use my AIW 2006 to capture TV shows in MCE, so I've gotta have a tuner (actually I have 2, the other one is an ATI TV Wonder 650).

EDIT: Up to 4 seeds, ETA 2 days 7 hours and counting...

spock,

if you ever finish the image, the base install pkg would be the one I would need to play around with. So beam it up when you get a chance?

I'm at 52.7%, ETA 17 hours. When I get it I'll put it somewhere more quickly available than a torrent. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Down to 1 seed now, 78% complete, ETA 10 hours.