• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

sniperviper, can you run the "file" command on the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver binary in 9A466 as I showed in my above post? I just want to get confirmation that this file is compiled PPC-only in the older Leopard builds as well. (You said it doesn't work, but it's not clear if there's something else wrong.)

I have 466 so I gave it a shot. Here's the output:

file ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O bundle i386

Does this mean what I think it does???

I'm going to try it now, I'll report back here if it works (if I can type while jumping up and down, that is!)

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
No go, but I'm not giving up yet...

I've modified a lot of settings and kexts trying to get QE/CI, so maybe one of those is creating a problem. Next I'll try a clean install with ToH (well not clean cuz you can't get past the welcome screen but I've been thinking maybe you can if there's a user folder already on the system) and replace the ATI9700* with 466 versions.

Let me know if you have any ideas, anyone...

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Total waste of time. Our problem is not in any ATI* file in the Extensions folder. It has to be something else.

mrblack1134

mrblack1134

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
spockers,

The problem is in the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver executable. More precisely, execute the following on your various Leopard distributions:
$ file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

This will tell you what kind of executable code (ppc, i386 or both) is present in the executable.

The problem is in the GL framework for the ATIRaden97000, not the ATIRadeon9700.kext itself. We've proven that the .kext has i386 executable code, so it's not the problem. The problem is they've removed i386 code from the Radeon9700GLDriver, hence the reason why the driver can't talk to the GL framework and why QE/CI doesn't get enabled.

By executing the previous command to earlier distributions we might find an early enough version of the driver that still has some i386 code but yet implements the new open GL framework.

Until you've proven that your GL framework does have i386 code you're basically shooting blanks and loosing your time.

Thanks for the work, man!

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

spockers,

The problem is in the ATIRadeon9700GLDriver executable. More precisely, execute the following on your various Leopard distributions:
$ file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

This will tell you what kind of executable code (ppc, i386 or both) is present in the executable.

The problem is in the GL framework for the ATIRaden97000, not the ATIRadeon9700.kext itself. We've proven that the .kext has i386 executable code, so it's not the problem. The problem is they've removed i386 code from the Radeon9700GLDriver, hence the reason why the driver can't talk to the GL framework and why QE/CI doesn't get enabled.

By executing the previous command to earlier distributions we might find an early enough version of the driver that still has some i386 code but yet implements the new open GL framework.

Until you've proven that your GL framework does have i386 code you're basically shooting blanks and loosing your time.

Thanks for the work, man!

Look back 4 posts and you'll see that I did that :)

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I think next I'll try installing 466, wouldn't run with the 466 kernel on my hardware, but I can run 581 with the new sse2 kernel, maybe if I use that kernel and install 466 I'll get some QE/CI action.

Prescot

Prescot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, sorry my english ...

I not found el 9700GL from betas, you could raise files by rapidshare ?

mrblack1134

mrblack1134

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
spockers,

Yeah actually could you zip the ATIRadeon9700* from 466 and rapidshare them (PM me if you don't want to put the link here).
I'll test it on my ToH RC2 (can't remember which build it is).

Thanks

Ruud

Ruud

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
isn't it possible to use the ati kexts and opengl framework from tiger
?

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
You need to know that you need OLD opengl.framework from 9A466 to if you are going to try drivers from it.

effecks

effecks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I obtained 9A466, and extracted ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle from the BaseSystem pkg. spockers, you must have been looking at something else, because in my copy at least the GL driver is still PPC-only:

$ ls -l
total 10328
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5285184 5 Jun 01:06 ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
$ file ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
$ md5 ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
MD5 (./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver) = bd7cbc9d791a828dd6c208ff22e9a5ae
$

The date of June 5 looks right, that was right before WWDC '07.

spockers

spockers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

I obtained 9A466, and extracted ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle from the BaseSystem pkg. spockers, you must have been looking at something else, because in my copy at least the GL driver is still PPC-only:

$ ls -l
total 10328
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 5285184 5 Jun 01:06 ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
$ file ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc
./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
$ md5 ./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver
MD5 (./ATIRadeon9700GLDriver) = bd7cbc9d791a828dd6c208ff22e9a5ae
$

The date of June 5 looks right, that was right before WWDC '07.

You're right, I had the wrong DVD, sorry about that. I found the right one, am going to try with opengl framework, I'll be back soon.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Anyone with pre-10.5 GM versions, can you pm me those openGL.framework version? I don't have the older versions and I'm going to try it on my 9800 install.

Here is the terminal copy command that wont follow the symlinks.

sudo cp -RH OpenGL.framework /backup

or

man cp

then zip and upload.

thanks

PS.

FYI, I've already tried using the OpenGL.framework from Tiger a few weeks ago. It's a dead end. I've read that the older 10.5 seeds did support qe/ci, just not on the GM and the one before.

sjoseph

sjoseph

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
is there anyway to get qe cl on x600 mobility? please help

Shako

Shako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I will check version 9a321 when I finish it. Hopefully that's old enough. Some pirates have it.

alicheusz

alicheusz

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Anyone with pre-10.5 GM versions, can you pm me those openGL.framework version?

This thread has radeon 9700 driver with openGL.framework form 10.4.7. This one was last one that works with 9600
http://forum.insanel...showtopic=43829

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Shako, I don't remember how many Leo seeds there were. I don't know anyone with the older seeds since everyone is basically "on there own" when it comes to older hardware. Post back and let us know.

alicheusz, as I've posted, OpenGL.framework from 10.4.x will not work on my testings. If you are hinting that it worked for you, let us know. I have dual boor Tiger 10.4.11 and Leo. I copied all ATI drivers and OpenGL.framework to Leopard but got the no positive results.

Shako

Shako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Well, good news and bad, I found some Universal ATI9700 kexts in the 9a321 build. I copied all 5 kexts over that had 9700 in there name, modified my ID into the ATIRadeon9700.kext and my system tries to boot but it freezes on the grey apple/spinning/loading screen. Perhaps if we try a build up? I think there was a 9a377 build and a 9a410. There was also a 9a283.

Update: Copied over OpenGL.Framework and got to a screen that is blue, and it infinitely loops the loading circle (as seen on Grey Apple Boot screen) over and over. Attempting Permissions Repair in Disk Utility on ToH disc.

effecks

effecks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Well, 9A581 has "some" universal 9700 components too. The question is whether or not the GL driver is universal. Can you please run the same commands that I've pasted into this thread 2 or 3 times? :stretcher:

Shako

Shako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I'm new to this but I think this is good?

ATIRadeon9700GLDriver: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc): Mach-O bundle ppc
ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture ppc64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle ppc64
ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (for architecture i386): Mach-O bundle i386

That is what came from the "file" command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy