NVIDIA cards in LEO yet?

ptesone

90 posts in this topic

I use a GeForce 7300 GS and was wondering if anyone has had anyluck with their NVIDIA cards in Leopard?

(I can only run leopard using -legacy in my bootup prefs)

if so plz list how and what driver!

thx!!!

(running an AMD with ToH)

Well at this point I can only run Leopard in -legacy mode

I get kernel panics otherwise

I already tried the macnub's installer of NVinject for Leo with no avail

I guess I'll just wait for a more baked version of LEOPARD. . .(using a patched ToH for AMD currently)

I've read in another post I need to be using the original NVIDIA kext in my extensions folder (GeForce.kext, GeForce*.bundle (5 of them), NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV10HAL.kext, NVDANV20HAL.kext, NVDANV30HAL.kext, NVDANV40HAL.kext) before I can use NVinect anyways. . .I can't seem to find them on the ToH DVD

No, with uphuck he means the 10.4.9 distro from uphuck

Im trying to get my 6800 to work atm, will try with the original kexts and nvinject now.

Tested my 10.4.10 kexts (Natit.kext, GeForce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext) from my 10.4.10 installation - Natit did not load, but the others, which gave me Res-Change and Dual Monitor support, No QE/CI or OpenGL

Will post my results later..

OK, got everything working: Geforce 6800 (PCI-E) with Dual Monitor Support, Res-Change, OpenGL, QE/CI

What i did:

1. Grab ORIGINAL Nvidia Kexts from Leopard DVD, i took all, maybe not all are necessary (GeForce.kext, GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle, Geforce3GLDriver.bundle, GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, GeForceGA.plugin, GeForceVADriver.bundle, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext)

2. used Marvins AMD Utility to patch NVDAResman.kext (because I'm on AMD)

The Utility can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...Marvin++Utility

3. Edit GeForce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext with your Dev-ID

4. Copy all Files to /System/Library/Extensions

5. Copy Natit.kext (v 0.02 Dual for Dual Screen Support) to /System/Library/Extensions (delete Titan.kext if it is already there, should work with titan also but no Dual Monitors then)

6. Set correct permissions

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 *

sudo chown -R root:wheel *

7. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

8. Reboot

Everything should work, enjoy :D

OK, got everything working: Geforce 6800 (PCI-E) with Dual Monitor Support, Res-Change, OpenGL, QE/CI

What i did:

1. Grab original Nvidia Kexts from Leopard DVD, i took all, maybe not all are necessary (GeForce.kext, GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle, Geforce3GLDriver.bundle, GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, GeForceGA.plugin, GeForceVADriver.bundle, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext)

2. used Marvins AMD Utility to patch NVDAResman.kext (because I'm on AMD)

The Utility can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...Marvin++Utility

3. Edit GeForce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext with your Dev-ID

4. Copy all Files to /System/Library/Extensions

5. Copy Natit.kext (v 0.02 Dual for Dual Screen Support) to /System/Library/Extensions (delete Titan.kext if it is already there, should work with titan also but no Dual Monitors then)

6. Set correct permissions

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 *

sudo chown -R root:wheel *

7. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

8. Reboot

Everything should work, enjoy :D

HOLY SMOKES

everything I have been looking for in the last week, right here...

gonna try ASAP

edit: wait is this possible under 10.4.10?

6 series: Well, I don't have an Nvidia 6xxx card so I didn't do any research.

7 series: Try NVinject 256/512MB, or Natit/Titan, maybe...

8 series: Experimental driver for 8xxx made available by mac.nub, but there really ain't support :( , well, there is none EXCEPT for the experimental one... I really wanted it to work on my really good PC but unfortunately it had a 8800 ultra, no go..

6 and 7 series both use NVDANV40Hal.kext, as long as they have less then 512mb of memory they should work with the method i described, for 512mb cards try NVinject.

And yeah, 8xxx users still have to wait i guess. Thats why i won't uprgrade my graphics card at the moment :(

2 things though.

Im on an intel, and every other time Ive tried this I get a kernal panic, how is this one different?

ALSO, What was your device id?

Mine should be formatted like so correct?

10DE00C0

did youg et rid of the FFFFF part in the kext?

What about 5/FX series?

I had my FX5500 CI/QE all the way in Tiger.

I have this same issue. My FX5500 woks in tiger with CI/QE but not in Leopard. I tried everything I could and nothing worked...

Please, if anyone got FX5500 working with full CI/QE in leopard tell us how! thanks!

ALSO, What was your device id?

Mine should be formatted like so correct?

10DE00C0

did youg et rid of the FFFFF part in the kext?

My device id is 00c1, my vendor id is 10de, the string i put in was then: 00c110de

i deleted the ffff part completely, i also deleted all other dev-id's, 0x00c110de was the only thing i left in there, in all 3 kexts. After a bit of research i found that this is important, even delete that "&amp" stuff.

It has to look like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x00c110de</string> (with YOUR ID ofcourse)

NOTE: this instructions are for Leopard, for 10.4.10 i simply added my dev id to the kexts (didn't delete the other id's) and installed natit.kext .

Hope this helps,

aKy

EDIT: Here is another guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70775

My device id is 00c1, my vendor id is 10de, the string i put in was then: 00c110de

i deleted the ffff part completely, i also deleted all other dev-id's, 0x00c110de was the only thing i left in there, in all 3 kexts. After a bit of research i found that this is important, even delete that "&amp" stuff.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

NOTE: this instructions are for Leopard, for 10.4.10 i simply added my dev id to the kexts (didn't delete the other id's) and installed natit.kext .

Hope this helps,

aKy

EDIT: Here is another guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70775

Yea i got the formatting reversed when i replyed. its the same as yours (the 00c0 being the only difference)

im in the current struggle of installing leo so ill be trying this after.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

Hope this helps,

aKy

would it help to put the device id in natit.kext as well? Or doesn´t make any difference?

thanks.

Its correct that no decrypts are found, but marvin utility should have placed a folder on your desktop where you can find a newly generated cpuid.txt. with this file you can patch the kexts (NVDAResman.kext) using Marvins Utility.

for Marvin Utility: select your Extensions folder and use 'patch all binarys' it should start patching and stop with that 'no decrypts found' thing. the utility creates a folder on your desktop.

Now use 'Patch cpuid's using cpuid file' in Marvins Utility, select the Extensions folder again, and select the cpuid.txt from the newly generated folder on your desktop. Patching should work then.

Its correct that no decrypts are found, but marvin utility should have placed a folder on your desktop where you can find a newly generated cpuid.txt. with this file you can patch the kexts (NVDAResman.kext) using Marvins Utility.

for Marvin Utility: select your Extensions folder and use 'patch all binarys' it should start patching and stop with that 'no decrypts found' thing. the utility creates a folder on your desktop.

Now use 'Patch cpuid's using cpuid file' in Marvins Utility, select the Extensions folder again, and select the cpuid.txt from the newly generated folder on your desktop. Patching should work then.

yup, works great!

thanx man !!!!

While we're on this topic, I thought I'd throw out another little stumper for you all... I'm running a 10.4.8 partition (JaS) and 10.5 partition(BrazilMac). On both I have NVinject installed for my 7900. When I boot into Tiger, everything is fine. When I boot into Leopard, the fan on my graphics card sounds like a jet engine taking off. I don't think it's related to NVinject drivers, and no other drivers (Natit, Titan) are in the extensions folder. Still does this even when booted into Safe Mode (-x).

I am running a GeForce 7900 GS on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to kill my fan from these high RPMs :unsure:

jephyb